PDA

View Full Version : Gauss....Thanks to all

Reconer
01-23-2004, 01:22 PM
Thanks to everyone who stepped up with their Gauss information,
especially oldmics with his fax.
Now I have no excuses not to get busy.
And for any woodworkers in here.......is 9-ply birch no longer available? It's been years since I used it, but loved the results.
7-ply is all I can find around here.

<<JJ>>

scott fitlin
01-24-2004, 08:58 AM
13 ply baltic birch is the wood to use. Good density stock makes a solid and fairly inert cabinet.

Reconer
01-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Good point Scott, wish it was available here.
But since I'm already fighting my 7-ply situation,
just wondering if 3/4" plywood in your area is really
3/4"? Maybe I'm being too anal, but since my wood
is actually 11/16" thick, I'm having to recalculate everything.

Thank God for AutoCad.

<<JJ>>

GordonW
01-25-2004, 09:09 AM
11/16"?! Man, last time I bought it, it was 23/32! :biting: :bomb:

The big stores just keep getting cheaper and cheezier with wood supply! Try to buy a good 6 foot 1x6 board without serious knots and occlusions in it, either! :banghead:

Oh, BTW, JJ- be CAREFUL with that 7-ply stuff from Home Despot around here. Last time I got some, it was so SOFT on the outside, that I could hardly finish it- it kept peeling away fiber strings... doubt if it got any BETTER, since then. Maybe Lummus might have better stuff... I know I'm definitely checking with them, next time I need something reasonably nice.

Regards,
Gordon.

Reconer
01-25-2004, 09:24 AM
Yep, I'm thinking I may should have gone to Sewanee Lumber.
But I wanted to get started, and they're quite a drive.
I'm also questioning my finish ideas. I'm wondering if lots of tung oil might be better than a real stain.

And hey, I found cut out dimensions for a K140 listed as 13 31/32.
Now would 14" be breaking the rules that bad?
The same drawings showed similar sized cabinets with dual ports just like you designed. I guess you do know what you're doing!

Hope to have some pics of the progress later tonight.
<<JJ>>

Alex Lancaster
01-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Here too, it started with 3/4" (19.1 mm), then 19 mm, .1 mm savings, really!, now it is 18 mm, about 45/64"; that is in plywood, MDF, fiberboard, etc., You can still get real 3/4", but You have to look for it; they are out for a quick cent.

Alex.

GordonW
01-26-2004, 12:47 PM
I seriously doubt that 1/32" is gonna cause anything to go wrong. A 14" cutout should work fine, IMHO. Especially if you use T-nuts or Hurricane nuts in the bolt holes.

As for the ports- yep, lots of the old JBL cabinets used multiple 4" ports. Seemed to be the standard- depending on the woofer complement, you'd get either 1, 2 or 3, 4" diameter ports. I figured, those things always worked well, why buck tradition? :D

Regards,
Gordon.