PDA

View Full Version : Genesis SACDs

Rusnzha
04-13-2007, 09:07 PM
The Wind and Wuthering and Trick of The Tail SACDs arrived from Music Direct today. Friday is an auspicious day for this delivery since this is when I always pour myself a nice glass of vodka and sit down with my JBLs for a short trip to Russia. I listened to Wind and Wuthering first. I left the Velodyne at my default/minimum setting of 10. It sounded good, but I wasn't as thrilled as I expected. Half way through Trick of The Tail, I turned it down to 8 and it was dialed in. It's amazing what a difference a little tweak can make!

These CDs did not encode 500 Mics of LSD into the mix like the Dark Side of the Moon 5.1, with stuff coming from everywhere. But when you close your eyes, the room morphs into a fine sounding space with the 5.1 DSD mix. Very warm, balanced and defined, everything right where it should be -- They did a nice job on this.

The Accompanying DVD is kind of superfluous. They give you a choice of DTS 24/96 and Dolby. I tried the DTS and the AVR 7300 went to analog. At this point, I don't quite understand what I was getting off of this, but it's the same as the DSD. It only shows the name of what is playing. There is no accompanying video of the band or anything else to see on this.

Storm
04-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Yummm...Genesis.

My favorite.

Patiently waiting their arrival to the USA for a tour. I am DEFINATELY going.

Are you?

:)

-Storm

Andyoz
04-14-2007, 03:00 AM
Peter Gabirel is doing a small scale tour of the UK/Ireland in June. I should be at the Ireland gig.

As he's not "pushing" any new album, we expect to see more older material compared to his "Up" tour set list.

Still not sure if they will ever get him back for a Genesis reunion...I'd put money on it NOT happening.

Rusnzha
04-14-2007, 08:56 AM
http://www.genesis-music.com/

My favorite genesis is the first 8 or so studio CDs before Steve Hackett departed. After that, they still made decent stuff, but became a lot more commercial. I have 2 CDs from that period which I will probably replace with the newer versions.

Originally posted by Andyoz
Peter Gabirel is doing a small scale tour of the UK/Ireland in June. I should be at the Ireland gig.
Still not sure if they will ever get him back for a Genesis reunion...I'd put money on it NOT happening.

They won't be coming anywhere near Wichita and who knows who's left at this point. I heard Phil Collins has moved on. No information is given at the Genesis site about who the band will consist of. So I will be happy just to get my hands on the SACDs of my favorite Genesis.

When you get there Storm, I hope you will report back and let us know how it was.

hjames
04-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Agreed - I do own Wind and Wuthering and Trick, but I do prefer the earlier band ... Selling England, Nursery Crime, etc ... even Seconds Out is pretty hot in places ...

But with no Gabriel and no Hackett - it just wasn't (and isn't) the same band ... I'm not paying $150 per to see this minimal form of the band in DC - these reunion tours just make me miss the bands in their old days ...:(

Is it even "Progressive" music any more when they are just hitting the old old marks and not pushing the envelope forward at all?

I did find this info on the Genesis Music site under Tour news:

NEW YORK - March 7, 2007 - Tony Banks, Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford of the band Genesis have unveiled the dates for the N. American leg of their first tour in 15 years, kicking off at the BMO Field in Toronto, on September 7th. The tour will hit 13 different cities across N. America playing a series of arenas and stadiums.

http://www.genesis-music.com/

My favorite genesis is the first 8 or so studio CDs before Steve Hackett departed. After that, they still made decent stuff, but became a lot more commercial. I have 2 CDs from that period which I will probably replace with the newer versions.

richluvsound
04-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Genesis live , at demomfort hall Leicester."The Clock"."Snowbound". And then there three
A 14 year old boy , Sketch book, headphones, wind and wuthering. Genesis could paint with sound , imagination. What happened ? 50 cent bollocks.
Genesis without Gabriel......... try 4345's without 2307's !
Rich

sourceoneaudio
04-15-2007, 09:23 AM
The Accompanying DVD is kind of superfluous. They give you a choice of DTS 96/24, and Dolby. I tried the DTS and the AVR 7300 went to analog. At this point, I don't quite understand what I was getting off of this, but it's the same as the DSD. It only shows the name of what is playing. There is no accompanying video of the band or anything else to see on this.

Rusnzha,
Is that a DVD audio disc or a real DVD? If it is a DVD audio disc, to get the DTS 96/24 bit version to work you have to go to the top menu of the DVD player, or the get into settings mode, and change it to DVD video for playback. I know this might sound odd, but they hide the DTS tracks in a video format, so under play back it must be labeled as a video. Also make sure your audio settings are set up correct, via Bit Stream or Digital Coax. The receiver will not depict it correct if the audio out settings are labeled incorrect in your set up menu. See if that helps.

J/S-S1A :D

Rusnzha
04-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks, sourceonaudio

My player was set up OK, I was just looking in the wrong place. I expected to find it on the digital outputs like most DVDs, but it was only putting out analog. The next day, I messed around with the DVD (video) some more, and it was putting out 5.1 from the multi-channel outputs. It looks like a way to get DVD audio off a non DVD audio player. I will stick with the SACD since it sounds a whole lot better.

Rusnzha
04-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by hjames

NEW YORK - March 7, 2007 - Tony Banks,Phil Collins andMike Rutherford of the band Genesis have unveiled the dates for the N. American leg of their first tour in 15 years, kicking off at the BMO Field in Toronto, on September 7th. The tour will hit 13 different cities across N. America playing a series of arenas and stadiums.

Thanks Heather, that takes care of my curiosity. I will stay home and listen to my SACDs. The rest of the ones I want won't come out till the end of the year. Talking about Foxtrot, The Lamb Lies Down on Braodway, the ones you mentioned and one or two more. The ones I want the most come with the longest wait -- got to love it!

Did you get that Harman Receiver? How do you like it? If you aleady posted on this, just refer me to it. Thanks.

jim campbell
04-15-2007, 07:27 PM
SACDs. The rest of the ones I want won't come out till the end of the year. Talking about Foxtrot, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, the ones you mentioned and one or two more.
does anyone know if the genesis live w/ peter gabriel is getting the sacd treatment?

Rusnzha
04-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by jim campbell

does anyone know if the genesis live w/ peter gabriel is getting the sacd treatment?

I thought the live stuff was getting the treatment also, but when I checked on it, there was no mention of it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

jim campbell
04-16-2007, 08:51 PM
I thought the live stuff was getting the treatment also, but when I checked on it, there was no mention of it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.oh well.................seems that only the post 1976 stuff will be sacd'd

Rusnzha
04-17-2007, 05:42 AM

oh well.................seems that only the post 1976 stuff will be sacd'd

Not true -- The last set will come out around the end of this year, beginning of next. This will include Trespass, Nursey Crynes, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. I have all of these already pre-ordered.

jim campbell
04-17-2007, 07:05 PM

Not true -- The last set will come out around the end of this year, beginning of next. This will include Trespass, Nursey Crynes, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. I have all of these already pre-ordered.maybe theres hope then.ive always liked the live album versions of watcher and hogweed etc and gabriel too