PDA

View Full Version : So this is what i have, what would work

dgorshe
04-12-2007, 12:07 AM
Ok I have these components and would like to build a set of speakers, any suggestions on what would work / sound best.

2 LE-25 tweeters, I think, they are ones out of 4312's
2 066 tweeters from a set of l-166's
2 LE-8, i think, Mids from L-166's
2 12" woofers from AR-3's
2 Mids from AR-3's

Any ideas on crossovers?

speakerdave
04-12-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm not so sure you can get there from here. A first-time builder should copy an already engineered system. You have about one-half of a couple of different ones. So, recognize first that you are facing additional expense. What is your budget?
What are your woodworking skills?

David

Edit: I've been looking at your posts. Didn't you just sell a pair of 166's a while ago? Aren't you now selling a pair of Horizons? What's up?

hjames
04-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Honestly - I think its a mish-mosh ... much better to at least emulate a proven design ... unless you just like to play with boxes and drivers ...

Are you good with building cabinets?

Are you good with building crossovers?

What kind of speaker sound do you like??

Also - It'd be helpful to know what kind of skills you have before making recommendations or tips

Got any software to plug your drivers into?
Thats a pretty varied set of drivers ... testing and experimenting with all of that should be a lot of fun - let us know what you find out!

You might want to look up speakers specs for the drivers - I have no idea what kind of efficiency or design concerns you'd have with AR 12" woofs - are they sealed box or ported cabinet?

Ok I have these components and would like to build a set of speakers, any suggestions on what would work / sound best.

2 LE-25 tweeters, I think, they are ones out of 4312's
2 066 tweeters from a set of l-166's
2 LE-8, i think, Mids from L-166's
2 12" woofers from AR-3's
2 Mids from AR-3's

Any ideas on crossovers?

dgorshe
04-12-2007, 11:36 AM
I have the skills needed to build the cabinets and make the crossover, just not sure as to a method of testing that is suitable. I agree its sort of a frankenstein idea but thats what the hobby is about. The sound i like is hard to describe but sort of a mix between the "East coast" and "West coast" sound characteristics.

Sorry for my lack of expertise, but thats why i'm on here

Zilch
04-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Go here to determine what you have:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=121891#post121891

Build AR3 boxes with L100 sub-enclosure for the mids. Start with simple L100A crossover.

That'll get you the mix you seek....

dgorshe
04-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Well that sounds perfect considering that i have the L100a crossovers already. So that will be a great starting point. Thanks for the information, we will see what modification is needed once its all built. Thanks