PDA

View Full Version : Plastic for horn question?

matsj
04-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Hey.

Iīm going to make some new hornīs to my new 1,5" drivers and i want to know what type of plastic i shall use to the cnc cutter. I have deliberat on wood horns but for now i will make them in plastic.

mats

loach71
04-06-2007, 07:26 PM
if you have access to an old ROLAND CAM machine you can make 3d models out of acrylic or ABS from you AutoCAD 3D renderings.

Hey.

Iīm going to make some new hornīs to my new 1,5" drivers and i want to know what type of plastic i shall use to the cnc cutter. I have deliberat on wood horns but for now i will make them in plastic.

mats

Mr. Widget
04-07-2007, 12:21 AM
I don't think he was inquiring about the possibility of machining a horn but rather the best materials for the task...

JBL has used machined acrylic as well as their cast resins. I think if you design your horn with substantial wall sections (at least 25mm) acrylic should work well. I don't know what is readily available in your area, but here I can get 50mm cast sheet pretty easily though not inexpensively.;)

Widget

matsj
04-07-2007, 10:52 AM
I have the drawings in a cad program and a company will do the cnc. I have read that someone have made them in mdf, so i will check that too.

mats

loach71
04-07-2007, 06:59 PM
I don't think he was inquiring about the possibility of machining a horn but rather the best materials for the task...

JBL has used machined acrylic as well as their cast resins. I think if you design your horn with substantial wall sections (at least 25mm) acrylic should work well. I don't know what is readily available in your area, but here I can get 50mm cast sheet pretty easily though not inexpensively.;)

Widget

A good friend (manufacturing engineer) digitized some 2404 cheeks and made AutoCAD 3D renderings. He then used the ROLAND CAM
to make some snazzy looking copies from transparent blue acrylic.
When I next visit him him I'll make some photos.

toddalin
04-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey.

mats

Corian!

matsj
04-12-2007, 12:31 AM
I have just talked with the company with the cnc cutter and i can choose what material i want. So i will make them in wood ( cheaper ). The company has a brand new 5 axled cnc cutter :D .
So now i must glue som wood together, hmmmm oak, walnut like johns mmmmmmmmmmm :) .

mats

sean19
04-21-2007, 12:44 AM
Hey.

matsi would check into buying tractrix horn's you can find them on ebay for 1" 1.4" and 2" iam sure you could sand a litle of the throat to make them a perfect 1.5 these horns are 400 hz i have a pair i just started using this week and when i went back to my 811 i could not take them mine are even filled with quick set in the dips top and bottom to deaden the horns from ringing witch work well but still are not flat and just perfect sounding like the tractrix horns plus they have a very nice gloss black finish plus their price is right $240.00