PDA

View Full Version : General info on prospects

Krunchy
03-31-2007, 12:39 PM
Hello everybody! I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on the following question/s. I heard a pair of L 100's and to tell you the truth I really was not very impressed especially with all the hype around these speakers, my humble 166's sounded better. In any case,after looking through quite a few threads there are a couple of models that I have become curious about. first off the 4313 and 4313b is there a major difference between these two models? The 4343, 4345 and L220. Can you tell me a little about the quality of sound from these models especially if any of you own two of them of have had the opportunity to hear several of these. What do you think is a ballpark figure on these speakers today $ ? I have not seen any of them on ebay to get a sense of their value. though there is a pair of L220 on right now for $2400.00
Thank you.

hjames
03-31-2007, 12:46 PM
L100s are a touchy subject - some love them, some think its all hype.

Speakers really are a personal thing - some folks like a bright, in your face sound, some folks like a flatter, more subtle delivery, some like a deep bass punch above everything else. There is no way to say what is best for you.

The best you can do is read here for a bit, find some various models and go listen to them and see what you like best about each, then extropolate from there ... based on your personal tastes.

The Pro monitors like the 4343 or 4345 are popular, are out of production, and generally bring top dollar - $4000 is pretty much entry level to that camp, and a clean example can run much much higher. There is always the worry of aging caps in the crossover networks that may need rebuilding - as can the drivers, which can also run the after purchase costs up.

The model L220 had fans and accusers here as well - recently one senior member called it a failure , but I've never heard a pair so I won't venture my opinion. Really - go listen and see what you think - your ears are the final arbiteur of what you like ....

Hello everybody! I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on the following question/s. I heard a pair of L 100's and to tell you the truth I really was not very impressed especially with all the hype around these speakers, my humble 166's sounded better. In any case,after looking through quite a few threads there are a couple of models that I have become curious about. first off the 4313 and 4313b is there a major difference between these two models? The 4343, 4345 and L220. Can you tell me a little about the quality of sound from these models especially if any of you own two of them of have had the opportunity to hear several of these. What do you think is a ballpark figure on these speakers today $ ? I have not seen any of them on ebay to get a sense of their value. though there is a pair of L220 on right now for $2400.00
Thank you.

Krunchy
03-31-2007, 01:17 PM
That is ceratinly sage advise and of course speaker preferences are definitely a matter of personal taste. I will keep it all in mind. I do not want anyone to get cought up on the L100 issue, I am more curious about the opinions pertaining to the other models listed.
Thank you!

Zilch
03-31-2007, 03:05 PM
L220/222, dubbed "Dreadful" by one JBL engineer, are merely candidates for upgrade to two-way.

Considering I paid $250 for mine six years ago, $2400 would be a substantial stretch of their actual value.

Bigger fools have paid as high as $900 just for the cateye tweeters, but common sense seems to have prevailed on that score of late.

I would not pay $2400 for L250s, even, in any variant....

Krunchy
03-31-2007, 03:50 PM
Thank you for that reality check, I was wondering if I was going to have to sell one of my other kid's kidneys on ebay to afford any of these fancy speakers. I was willing to do it you know, anything to achieve that magical mythical perfect sound.

hjames
03-31-2007, 04:05 PM
I struck gold a bit over a year ago. I'd stashed $600 for speakers and I found an old set of studio monitors in Philly - pickup only - and no one was bidding on them. I got them for about half my budget - really!
They were big, the veneer was rough and it was a day trip to run there from DC and back. In February! But the sound was very nice even in the original 2-way configuration. A 15" woofer and a horn - I'd never heard that kind of sound before - I was used to conventional cone type speakers - but the sound really grew on me over time. By mid-summer I bought a high frequency driver to push the sound over 15,000 Hz - ... then last month I found a nice pair of cabinets and got the looks upgraded.

What I'm trying to say is that there are deals out there on these speakers if you can be a bit creative and patient. Besides, kidneys aren't bringin' much on eBay these days ;)

Thank you for that reality check, I was wondering if I was going to have to sell one of my other kid's kidneys on ebay to afford any of these fancy speakers. I was willing to do it you know, anything to achieve that magical mythical perfect sound.

Krunchy
03-31-2007, 05:00 PM
I agree, I think that is the name of the game here, Patience and creativity with maybe a dash of persistese to keep the whole thing going.
yeah the kidney market is in a slump right now but will remain optimistic that it will rebound with new vigor in the very near future.

jim campbell
04-01-2007, 08:52 AM
L220/222, dubbed "Dreadful" by one JBL engineer, are merely candidates for upgrade to two-way.well at least the guy was honest.if you do decide that you actually like the 220's i just happen to have........................

Krunchy
04-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Thank you Mr. Campbell