PDA

View Full Version : Win an "Eargle On Everest" CD

Titanium Dome
03-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Beginning 12:01 AM Sunday, March 18 and running through 11:59 PM Sunday, April 15, you can enter to win a copy of the JBL Everest II DD66000 demonstration disc created by John Eargle on Delos International Records. We have a limited number of these discs set aside for us by JBL thanks to forum member kingjames' advocacy and the kindness of JBL/Harman in New Jersey.

You can find out more about the disc in this thread:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=157248#post157248

To keep this as simple as possible and to generate maximum benefit to the Lansing Heritage site, here are the rules:

1. For every $5 contributed to the LH site, one entry will be awarded. A $25 contribution will yield six entries. Additional incremental incentives will apply (see below *).
2. ONLY contributions received during the entry period (12:01 AM Sunday, March 18 through 11:59 PM Sunday, April 15) will be recognized for this event. (see below **)
3. At the end of the entry period, the LH treasurer will send the drawing coordinator (Titanium Dome) a simple spreadsheet showing who donated what. (see below *** and ****)
4. The drawing coordinator will figure the number of entries per entrant, assign a number for each entry, and generate the necessary number of winning numbers using a random number generator.
5. There is a limit of one CD per person, regardless of the number of entries a person has accumulated.
6. Winners will be announced in this thread on April 16 or as soon as possible thereafter and will have one day to send a mailing address via private message to Titanium Dome.
7. The drawing coordinator will notify JBL of the winners in the agreed upon format, and JBL will mail the CDs to the winners in the US. International winners will receive their CDs direct from the drawing coordinator via international post.
8. The decisions of the LH Treasurer and the drawing coordinator are final.

*$5=one entry, $10=two entries, $15=three entries, $20=four entries, $25=six entries, $30=seven entries, $35=eight entries, $40=nine entries, $45=ten entries, $50=twelve entries, $55=thirteen entries, and so on.

**NO CONTRIBUTION REQUIRED. Alternate method to obtain an entry: any member or nonmember wishing to receive an entry without making a donation may receive a single entry by sending a private message to Titanium Dome with a request to be assigned a random number (site registration required). All such entries will be combined in a separate random number selection for an opportunity to receive a single, set-aside CD. Members who make a donation as in #1 above may not use this alternate method as a means to increase their number of entries or to change their odds of receiving a CD.

***For the purposes of this event, "Titanium Dome" is the moniker of Doug Semark, a resident of the State of California. The principals of this nonprofit site are located in Maui, Hawai'i, USA; Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada; and Long Beach, California, USA.

****Those who wish to remain anonymous may inform the LH Treasurer of their desire, and the LH Treasurer will assign a fictitious name, i.e., "Donor #1," etc., for purposes of identification in the random number generation.

Mr. Widget
03-18-2007, 12:00 AM
Thanks TiDome for setting this up and thanks to Jim, aka kingjames for starting the ball rolling.

Good Luck to all who participate!

Widget

Titanium Dome
03-18-2007, 01:55 AM
Widget

Can you or someone else make this a sticky for the next four weeks?

Titanium Dome
03-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Widget

Can you or someone else make this a sticky for the next four weeks?

Thanks!

BTW, for those who already contributed this year and aren't considering doing so again in the next four weeks, you can still receive an entry by taking the "NO CONTRIBUTION REQUIRED" path.

Or better yet, just donate some more. ;)

Titanium Dome
03-20-2007, 01:23 PM
OK, I just made my small donation, second of the year. Who else is on board? Maybe we can encourage others by example.

There's no need to write whether it was $5 or $50, just let everyone know "I'm in!"

boputnam
03-20-2007, 01:48 PM
2. ONLY contributions received during the entry period (12:01 AM Sunday, March 18 through 11:59 PM Sunday, April 15) will be recognized for this event...Damn - right across the Quarter end... :o:

3. At the end of the entry period, the LH treasurer will... Damn - that's ME!!

...will send the drawing coordinator (Titanium Dome) a simple spreadsheet... :banghead:

8. The decisions of the LH Treasurer... That IS ME!!

...Those who wish to remain anonymous :wave:

hjames
03-20-2007, 01:51 PM
OK, I just made my small donation, second of the year. Who else is on board? Maybe we can encourage others by example.

There's no need to write whether it was $5 or $50, just let everyone know "I'm in!"

Me too - I paid something in Feb on the anniversary of finding those Great 4320s in Philly last year (and the B380 this year!).
But I made another donation Sunday night when the contest launched.

TiDo's right - its time to give something back to the Lansing List!

(and who knows - ya might win somethin!)

kingjames
03-20-2007, 02:37 PM
I did the other night, don't need the cd though, I already have one.
Get this cd you won't be sorry and you'll help out the forum.

bone215
03-21-2007, 05:35 PM
I would like to participate in this activity.

Titanium Dome
03-21-2007, 06:58 PM

Great. Either contribute $5 or more to the site or send me a private message to enter via the "no contribution required" method.

Titanium Dome
03-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Sorry, I had the PM mucked up in my User CP, but it's working now.

opimax
03-24-2007, 06:12 AM
As I always like to try...I contributed earlier this year and again a few moments ago...can I get a free entry from the earlier donation to go along w/the other entries I just setup? don't answer not serious :)

Mark

Titanium Dome
03-24-2007, 08:23 AM
As I always like to try...I contributed earlier this year and again a few moments ago...can I get a free entry from the earlier donation to go along w/the other entries I just setup? don't answer not serious :)

Mark

Ha ha, I anticipated guys like us and took care of us in rule #2 and in the "**NO CONTRIBUTION REQUIRED" part. No we can't. :p

However, you CAN make a second contribution during the open period to get more entries. ;) :yes:

boputnam
03-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Since the gates opened, there have been seven entries... :D

hjames
03-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Since the gates opened, there have been seven entries... :D

With those kind of odds, everyone's a winner!!

kingjames
03-26-2007, 07:29 PM
hj, maybe not everyone is saying their a contributor. I hope the numbers are better.

For all of the people who come here and read our posts but are not yet members,this is a good cause we have here and ask that you join and partcipate in this Eargle CD giveaway.

I have this cd and it is great,and it can be used on any speakers to see how well they perform.

Excellent choice of music to check any speaker system.You won't be disapointed.

sourceoneaudio
03-27-2007, 09:10 AM

Just made my contribution, keep it running, you people are doing a great job. A+++++++++++
The information gained here on this site is priceless.

J/S-S1A :applaud:

Titanium Dome
04-01-2007, 02:06 PM
We're entering the second half of our site promotion and Eargle on Everest CD bonanza.

Time will expire before you know it, so if you've been putting it off, enter today.

:bouncy: :yes: :bouncy: :applaud: :bouncy: :yes: :bouncy:

Or you'll end up like this:

:banghead:

Titanium Dome
04-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Hey, all you procrastinators, this is the final week of the Eargle on Everest promotion here. If you want one, you need to enter now.

Remember, this is open to all members, so if you're not in the US you still may enter. International entries are encouraged!

It would be a shame to tell JBL/Harman that we couldn't find 30 members who wanted this CD and who wouldn't donate a minimum of $5 to get it.

boputnam
04-08-2007, 11:10 AM
It would be a shame to tell JBL/Harman that we couldn't find 30 members who wanted this CD and who wouldn't donate a minimum of $5 to get it.I'm just the clerk and ain't tellin' JBL nuthin'... ;)

However, we have 12 entries into today. :o:

hjames
04-08-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm just the clerk and ain't tellin' JBL nuthin'... ;)

Hey - that means the winners get 2 copies each!

woohoo! :nutz:

Titanium Dome
04-08-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm just the clerk and ain't tellin' JBL nuthin'... ;)

Bo, we've had a few who entered via the "NO CONTRIBUTION REQUIRED" clause, so the total's a little higher than that. Still, there's plenty of room for more.

C'mon LH members, let's get a few more contributions this week!

Thanks to all who've entered so far.

TD

kingjames
04-08-2007, 03:14 PM
pretty sad if you ask me.:(

Titanium Dome
04-08-2007, 06:21 PM
pretty sad if you ask me.:(

Hey, Jim, turn that frown upside down! :D

This is a great event for those who participate, and it's helping the site, too. You are to be congratulated for being the tip of the spear on this. You really did a good thing by putting the front end together.

Plus, Mike from JBL is a great guy, and he's been a real sport about the whole thing. JBL has been super all around.

Bo's been a good sport, too, with the extra duty, and he and I are happy to be able to work with all the entrants.

It's going to be a great feeling to send those CDs out, and all who receive them will be stoked when they arrive.

:) :yes: Smile, my friend, smile. :D :applaud:

Then dance! :dj-party:

I'll bet those three guys in your avatar will dance like wild men if you ask them.

kingjames
04-08-2007, 07:35 PM
TI Dome, I think you and BO have done an excellent job and it would be nice if actions such as your're's were rewarded in same.:yes:

My contribution wasn't nothing but a phone call something anyone could have done.

Mike is a class act,:yes: when I offered to buy a cd he offered me his personal copy for taking the initiative.

I am not sad over this situation as I can still hold my head up high.It is the members who don't contribute who will lose here.:( That is unless they buy the Everest system.:blink:

As for my Avatar with my 3 boys and for the girl who thought my 250ti's were too ugly to stand next to for a picture,well all I can say is, this is what it's all about for me.

Now if I can only get my grand children to pitch in together to buy me the Everest system when they grow up.:D

On the serious TI, I don't let things such as this mess with my head.:bouncy:

Oh yeah, they dance quite well,thankyou!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Titanium Dome
04-10-2007, 11:24 AM
The giveaway closes at 11:59 PM Pacific Daylight Savings Time, which will be the same time for both the LH treasurer and the drawing coordinator. We both live in this time zone.

So folks in Asia, Africa, Australia, Europe, South America, and eastern North America can enter into the wee and not-so-wee hours of Monday, April 16.

sourceoneaudio
04-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Hey - that means the winners get 2 copies each!

woohoo! :nutz:

That means I get 6 copies!!!! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

J/S-S1A :D

Storm
04-10-2007, 12:15 PM
I will donate.

Someone tell me how so I can try and win a CD.

Thanks.

-Storm

hjames
04-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Sure.
Go to the top right side of the page.
Click the VISA/MCard logo that says "Donate"
Its a link to paypal so you can contribute to the Lansing Heritage Forum.

Do it before Sunday April 15th and your donation counts towards the contest. Most folks are doing multiples of $25 'cause the odds get better.

$5=one entry, $10=two entries, $15=three entries, $20=four entries, $25=six entries, $30=seven entries, $35=eight entries, $40=nine entries, $45=ten entries, $50=twelve entries, $55=thirteen entries, and so on.

I will donate.

Thanks.

-Storm

kingjames
04-10-2007, 04:40 PM
I will donate.

Thanks.

-Storm
Hey Storm,want to really see how good your Altec's perform than get this cd, this cd is designed with the tracks here-in to bring the best out of each driver,horns,mid's high's, and LF.An excellent selection to bring the best out of any system.:yes:

Titanium Dome
04-14-2007, 11:05 AM
You have less than two days to get in on the Eargle on Everest CD giveaway.

Don't miss this great opportunity!

kingjames
04-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Last day people,at 11:59:59 tonight it is goodbye for ever.:D

JBL 4645
04-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Yeah but you can burn a few off for a few quid mate. :D

hjames
04-15-2007, 03:05 PM

You're missing the whole point! :biting:

The point is this is a fund-raiser to help support the site ...
"Burnin' a few" doesn't help that goal at all ...

And no, I'm not "getting all queer on you" -
your so-called "joke" about duping CDs was just in really bad taste in the midst of a fund raiser ...

See - we'd hope that fans of the site would contribute whether there was a contest going or not. If you use the site its just a good idea to help pay for its expenses.

JBL 4645
04-15-2007, 03:07 PM
You're missing the whole point! :biting:

The point is to support your mates and support the site ...
Burnin' a few doesn't help at all ...

Whoa no need to get all queer on me all of a sudden it was only joke.:D
That kitten sure knows how to scratch.:D

kingjames
04-15-2007, 03:16 PM

Under different circumstances I would consider it however this was a gift from JBL and I will not dishonor what they have tried to do for us. Geez, I sound so noble,I must be coming down with something?:D

JBL 4645
04-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Oh no I wouldn’t what to dishonourer the Lansing site:D , I read the thread and the deal was donation well that seems very fair and square but I have this complex problem with PayPal would a Postal Order do?

Well maybe due to popular demand they’ll do Everest again?

sourceoneaudio
04-15-2007, 05:59 PM

Two things wrong with that. It is illegal, and it will not sound as good as the original..................:D

Support here is the KEY WORD!!!!!

Titanium Dome
04-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Bo and I will get our heads (or PMs) together, and I will be contacting JBL forthwith.

Thanks to all who contributed!

Earl K
04-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks to all who contributed!

You're welcome !

Do you know how much was raised ( or is that a question for Bo ) ?

:)

Titanium Dome
04-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Those whose forum screen names I know have already been notified.

Tomorrow I will post a list of names for which I do not have the screen name and ask those persons to contact me via PM so we can finalize the details to deliver their CDs.

We raised over $700!

kingjames
04-17-2007, 06:14 AM
Hot Diggity Dog.:applaud:

Rolf
04-17-2007, 10:20 AM
I never figured out what this thread was about.

johnaec
04-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Were there enough entrys for all the CD's? ;)

John

Titanium Dome
04-17-2007, 10:36 AM

It was a way to raise money for the site and to distribute 30 CDs that JBL set aside for LH thanks to kingjames' efforts to make this Eargle on Everest CD available to us.

hjames
04-17-2007, 10:37 AM

The "Eargle on Everest" disc is a CD that went to JBL dealers to demo the newer high-end systems. It features passages from audiophile recordings to highlight the sound quality of the speakers.

Anyway, a couple folks asked about getting copies of the CD, and Kingjames went ahead and called JBL to look it up. He mentioned the Lansing Forums, and they offered a number of copies of the CD to distribute to the group.

After that, the idea came up to "raffle-off" the discs as prizes in a fund raiser - (I guess not enough people contribute to the site out of the goodness of their hearts).

Kingjames talked it over with the managers of the site. TiDome and BoP
volunteered to help run the contest, and so from 12:01 AM Sunday, March 18 and running through 11:59 PM Sunday, April 15, the contest ran - giving folks a chance to offer up some money towards the running of the site, with the possibility of winning one of these rare CDs

Titanium Dome
04-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Were there enough entrys for all the CD's? ;)

John

Yes!

Titanium Dome
04-17-2007, 10:44 AM
If you contributed to this site from March 18 through April 15, check your PMs for news that might be good for you.

If you have not received a PM and you contributed, CONTACT ME via PM with your screen name and real name, and I'll let you know if there's good news for you as well. We have a few winners whose real name is on their contribution but no screen name is associated with it, and we can't PM you if we don't know your screen name.

Make sense?

If you contributed, there's an EXCELLENT chance you'll get a CD, but not if I don't hear from you (unless I already contacted you, of course).

I have the real names of all contributors, so I'll be able to verify PMs.

Thanks.

Rolf
04-17-2007, 10:50 AM
It was a way to raise money for the site and to distribute 30 CDs that JBL set aside for LH thanks to kingjames' efforts to make this Eargle on Everest CD available to us.

I understand, but I believe I contribute enough to the site.

I guess my contribution is received, though I have never heard that it has.

Titanium Dome
04-23-2007, 02:14 PM
If you are any of the persons or things listed below, please contact me via PM as soon as possible.

M. Swick
W. Benesch
D. Grimm
R. Somerville
R. Miller
M. Jacobus
F. Solis
E. Stimmel
C. Mann
Christiano Motors

Titanium Dome
04-27-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm still waiting to hear from the following members:

M. Swick
D. Grimm
R. Somerville
R. Miller
M. Jacobus
F. Solis

Please PM me NOW!

If anyone knows these members, please let them know time is running out.

johnaec
04-28-2007, 06:40 AM
Cannot they be contacted via the email address they made their contributions under? (I assume Bo has this info?)

John

boputnam
04-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Cannot they be contacted via the email address they made their contributions under? (I assume Bo has this info?)Yea, sorry. I've been busy gigging - my bad. It is SO bad I got home this morning at 04.30hrs and in the process of flagging a SPAM on the forum, I tagged TiDome with the infraction. Doh!! :o: I am such a loser... (stay outa this, Rolf...)

I just sent email info on all to Doug. :wave:

SEAWOLF97
04-28-2007, 03:11 PM
in the process of flagging a SPAM on the forum, I tagged TiDome with the infraction.

same thing happened to me about a month ago. Isnt there a "confirm" button ?

boputnam
04-28-2007, 04:05 PM
same thing happened to me about a month ago. Isnt there a "confirm" button ?Not exactly, but the error can be easily avoided. Every post here has a SPAM alert button, whether it is spam or not.

When a spam is found, we go to the thread. If youse guys have posted there, too, it is far too easy to hit the SPAM alert button in any of the posts - in-haste to waste the waste, a few of us have hit the wrong post and "awarded" points to the underserving (even while obliterating the spam). We are human - I knew that would surprise you!

Have no fear - all get's cleared...

HAL9000 ;)

Titanium Dome
04-28-2007, 09:03 PM
We're waiting for a few stragglers to get me their shipping info, but it looks like the CDs will start shipping from JBL next week. I need to send them a complete list.

Thank you for your patience. :)

I'll let you know more as I know it.

TD

Titanium Dome
05-01-2007, 05:54 PM
I finally got the last two recipients nailed down yesterday, and the mailing list went in to JBL last night. I didn't get a response yet today, but if I don't hear back by tomorrow, I'll send an insurance email to verify receipt.

Titanium Dome
05-01-2007, 05:59 PM
We have the following breakdown of recipients:

3 Canada
1 England
2 Germany
24 United States

Also, two recipients were unaware of the contest but sent in donations as a matter of course and were surprised to be getting a CD.

Good job, everyone.

kingjames
05-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Good job to you TI-Dome and Bo. :applaud:

richluvsound
05-02-2007, 12:15 AM
ti, bo.........Great Job Guys.
is it true the cd comes with a free pair of DD66000 ?
:D

I know,I'm a smart arse. Will the final amount raised be posted. I'm sure this will inspire others. Infact ,I've been thinking about T-shirts. Vintage JBL images on a good quality cotton . Say 30 ,10 of each size and 5 different designs. I donate the T's and we auction them off to forum members.
What do you think? Will I need to get permission from JBL, if so from whom ?
Would I be able to use images from this website ? Would it be Don I need approach. ?

Rich

Titanium Dome
05-02-2007, 06:52 AM
In post #41 we indicated it was over $700. I'll see if I can get the exact amount.

Titanium Dome
05-02-2007, 07:04 AM
We had $740 in donations come in and paid out $29.73 in fees for a net of $710.27. Donations ranged from $5 to $100.

kingjames
05-02-2007, 07:42 AM
I like it, I like it alot!:applaud:

hjames
05-02-2007, 07:51 AM
I like it, I like it alot!:applaud:

Yeah - you guys did so good!

sourceoneaudio
05-03-2007, 08:59 AM
T-Dome,
Have you shipped the Eargle's yet? :(

J/S-S1A :blink:

grumpy
05-03-2007, 09:12 AM
I think these were being direct shipped from jbl... patience grasshopper. ;)

sourceoneaudio
05-03-2007, 09:18 AM
I think these were being direct shipped from jbl... patience grasshopper. ;)

You berry funny. :rotfl:

I did not know dat..........! :p

I'm ready to listen...........! :bouncy:

Titanium Dome
05-03-2007, 11:10 AM
We're waiting for a few stragglers to get me their shipping info, but it looks like the CDs will start shipping from JBL next week. I need to send them a complete list.

Thank you for your patience. :)

I'll let you know more as I know it.

TD

I finally got the last two recipients nailed down yesterday, and the mailing list went in to JBL last night. I didn't get a response yet today, but if I don't hear back by tomorrow, I'll send an insurance email to verify receipt.

T-Dome,
Have you shipped the Eargle's yet? :(

The answer was just a few posts earlier. :)

Grumpy was right on the money.

sourceoneaudio
05-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Thank you sir for the update.

Titanium Dome
05-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I sent an "insurance" email yesterday, and I just got this email from Mike at JBL/Harman:

List? CDs? Eargle who?

:wtf:

Titanium Dome
05-03-2007, 11:16 AM
I was so upset, I shoulda read this part, too:

Sorry, kidding of course! The discs will go out in a day or 2.

:rotfl:

OK, I was just jerking everyone around a bit. Looks like we're good to go.

Everyone say, "Thanks, Mike."

hjames
05-03-2007, 11:18 AM

Ah - they've started the Trio de mayo celebration already!!

3 days of partying, ending up with the now well known Cinco de mayo festival

grumpy
05-03-2007, 12:27 PM
"Thanks, Mike." :)

sourceoneaudio
05-03-2007, 12:28 PM

OK, I was just jerking everyone around a bit. Looks like we're good to go.

Everyone say, "Thanks, Mike."

Funny stuff........ :wtf:Thanx Mike.

J/S-S1A :banana:

porschedpm
05-05-2007, 01:22 PM
The mailman just delivered mine. Thanks Mike and everyone else up and down the line.

Ed S.

Robh3606
05-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Received mine as well.

Thanks Guys

Rob:)

Titanium Dome
05-05-2007, 03:33 PM
OK guys, how do you like it?

Don't tell me you haven't played it yet.

hjames
05-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Mine came in the mail today while I was out ...

Hopefully be able to give it a listen later tonight or tomorrow ...

Thanks Kingjames, TiDome, Bo and all you guys that put this fundraiser together!!

4313B
05-05-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm curious to hear what you guys think of it. I gave mine a quick listen a few weeks ago on the 4355's before they went bye bye.

Titanium Dome
05-05-2007, 03:55 PM
The cast (in order of appearance):

Kingjames (Jim): positive thinker who contacted JBL and arranged the deal with Mike.
boputnam (Bo) : LH Treasurer who "nominated" TiDome to run the event, and who managed all finances.
Titanium Dome (Doug): "event coordinator," data gatherer, spreadsheet putter-togetherer, and comic foil for Mike at JBL.
Mike @ JBL/Harman (Mike): all around good guy who took the address list, CDs, and packaging, put them together, and mailed them out.

So cheers all around! :applaud: It's really great that we got this done, that the site got a nice infusion of donations, and many members received a wonderful gift from JBL.

This is one example of the positive things we can accomplish when we have a useful goal.

Earl K
05-05-2007, 04:05 PM
This is one example of the positive things we can accomplish when we have a useful goal.

Yes, it turned out all quite nicely. Kudos to you guys .

& I'll let you know when mine arrives . ;)

:p

Fred Sanford
05-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Got ours today, it's spinning right now. Sat in the sweet spot for the first few tracks, then Jean said, "This makes me want to open up a bottle of red wine and sit on the floor in front of the speakers."

I like it a lot, a few standouts on first listen are "Papillon" and "War No More" back to back. "Meet the Flintstones" brought on a few smiles, and "Lupe" reminded me how I always love vibes.

This disc will get a few listens with minimal distractions.

It just ended. Here's what was just said:

"Is that it?" from Jean.

"67 minutes" from me.

"How very sad" from Jean.

There's your first-spin review...thanks so much to everyone involved.

je

4333As in an untreated, all-too-reverberant room.

porschedpm
05-05-2007, 06:39 PM
This CD has so much more dynamic range than the music I normally listen to. I felt compelled to keep turning the volume up (and open a bottle of wine). Really gives my 4343-to-4344 conversions (with the Ian Mac xover specials) a good workout, especially on the low notes. Pretty sweet sounds coming from those 30 year old beasts. Great stuff. I know the Everest DD66000 are the best of the best, but these big old school monitors sound pretty damn good in their own rite. Tomorrow I'll play the Eargle CD through the Performance Series surround system. I'm anticipating that the CD will still sound phenomenal through the PS but at the same time different from the big monitors. And then on Tuesday when I'm back in my office in the Bay Area I'll listen to it through the 250Ti's. It's going to be a good JBL week.

jblnut
05-07-2007, 01:23 PM
I just got mine yesterday but haven't had a chance to listen yet. Hopefully this weekend when the kids are out of the house...

jblnut

sourceoneaudio
05-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Received mine today. Thank you berry much.

Jeff

Titanium Dome
05-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Yesterday I got both the Eargle on Everest CD and the The JBL Story from the postman.

Not a bad deal: CD was free* and book was $19.77 delivered.

*Okay, I made a contribution, but I would do that anyway.

Hofmannhp
05-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Yesterday I got both the Eargle on Everest CD and the The JBL Story from the postman.

yesterday I got the book and today the CD......think it's time for a donation...:D

HP

PS: will crank up the 4435 todays evening

Robh3606
05-08-2007, 10:10 AM
I have been playing it on my active set-up. Have not fired up the 4344's or the XPL's yet. Wow on some of those tracks!! Really dynamic and clean with lots of complex textures and some really gut wrenching low end. The ambience and sense of space of the piano and cathedral recordings is really nice. The tune with the vibes and the Flinstones are great!! The guitar tracks are really clean and vibrant. Just lots of fun to listen too. Glad I got it. Have to take itto the Stereophille show in Manhattan on the weekend.

Rob:)

Titanium Dome
05-08-2007, 11:18 AM
yesterday I got the book and today the CD......think it's time for a donation...:D

HP

PS: will crank up the 4435 todays evening

That's really good news! It was very cool of Mike and Harman to do overseas mailing, too. I'm surprised you got it so fast.

I played it LOUD on the Performance Series stacks. Very clean, very dynamic, very spacious, yet well-defined.

The low end extension from the LE14H-3 drivers is phenomenal. I'm always pleased when a good source can give them a proper workout.

Next I'll give the S2600s a whirl. I've got a feeling they'll be especially good with this.

Afterward, a trip down to the dungeon for an L250, XPL200, L7 showdown, Eargle style. Then it's to zone two and the SVA2100s. Hell, I'll even take the L100s, XPL160s, and E50s for a spin. A source this well done will let each speaker give its best.

I actually took the day off from work to do this, so tomorrow I'll crank up the 4430/B380 combo at the main office, then on Friday I'll fry the L60T/LE120H-1 sub combo at the secondary office.

By the end of the day:

:spchless: :shock: :jawdrop: :nutz: :spin: :hyp: :help:

Hofmannhp
05-08-2007, 12:29 PM
.... It was very cool of Mike and Harman to do overseas mailing, too. I'm surprised you got it so fast.

Thanks Doug for your help...:applaud: :applaud:

HP

johnaec
05-08-2007, 01:41 PM

Not a bad deal: CD was free* and book was $19.77 delivered.Me too, plus I received the soundtrack from Firefly (http://www.tv.com/firefly/show/7097/summary.html) at the same time. :)

John

Krunchy
05-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Thank you vey much, what a great surprise. I just got my 4430's from Audiobeer (Thank you very very very much M, I love them) and played some of it. It sounds great. I am doing some gear re-arranging with Sourceoneaudio's help and look forward to really giving it a good listen.
Thanks again!

boputnam
05-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks Doug for your help...:yes: Great job!

I actually took the day off from work to do (the listening test)...So, what are the results? Any of the speaker collection headed to eBay...? :p

Hofmannhp
05-09-2007, 02:54 PM
:yes: Great job!
So, what are the results? Any of the speaker collection headed to eBay...? :p

No Bo,

nothing for ebay.....heard nearly half of the CD till now ......wifey thought I crack down the house when track no. 1 reached the sweet level with the cannons. The limit of my power amp is very near. Also very nice to hear the detailing in the Warlocks.....I don't know where the hights are now comming from, which I missed sometimes.
Tried first the 4435, tomorrow the 4333, lets hear:bouncy:

HP

Titanium Dome
05-09-2007, 05:42 PM
:yes: Great job!

So, what are the results? Any of the speaker collection headed to eBay...? :p

I will say this: crummy CDs are the great equalizer. When I listen to a lot of mass produced CDs, particularly pop and rock, but also country, jazz, electronic, and orchestral, the differences between my various systems is not that great. Sadly, listening to most vinyl is no better.

A medium-quality recording with run-of-the-mill studio production values and mass market quality control sounds nearly as good on the E50s as it does on the L250s--in fact sometimes better.

However, when I stick in a Delos, Telarc, Mobile Fidelity, or other well recorded and mastered disc, well let me tell you mister, the differences stand out. With the Eargle/Delos CD in the tray, there were clear winners and losers, and not in the order I'd expect.

1st Place: Performance Series stacks–clear, articulate HF, gorgeous MF and LF, stupendous cannons!
2nd: L7–clear, full HF and MF, powerful LF, strong cannons
3rd: S2600–gorgeous HF and MF, reasonable LF, but what cannons?
4th: XPL200–gorgeous HF and MF, uneven LF, weak cannons
5th: SVA2100–clear, direct HF and MF, strong LF, big but boomy cannons
6th: 4430– clear, direct HF and MF, strong LF, underpowered cannons
7th: L250–weak HF, strong MF and LF, weak cannons
8th: XPL160–overpowering HF and MF, boomy LF, no cannons
9th: L60T–Clear, full HF, muddy MF, boomy LF, no cannons
10th: E50–clear HF, decent MF, weak, boomy LF, no cannons
11th: L100–weak HF, strong MF, boomy LF, weak cannons

The PS really set the bar for the power of the cannons, and I was very disappointed by the L250's performance in this regard. The L7s handled it quite well.

The performance of the horn-based units was uniformly wonderful in the highs and upper midrange, but they tended not to have comparable guts at the bottom. Also, the 4430s and SVA2100s seemed to exhibit a bit of a performance gap in the transition between the horns and the LF drivers, especially on the Tan Dum track. I listened multiple times to be sure of what I was hearing. The S2600 had none of this characteristic.

Since I'll never get rid of my L100s, it looks like 8th, 9th, and 10th position speakers should really go. I'm going to have to think about those L250s, too. I love the looks, but this CD really showed up its limitations. Perhaps with a couple of new drivers and better networks? :dont-know

Depending on my mood, the XPL200 could fall a place or two. I really like it's HF and MF sound, and the midbass and LF cone drivers keep the Ti's from overpowering the sound, unlike the single 10" woofer on the XPL160, but it really does disappoint on the bottom end with a disc like this. Especially with another 12" woofer sitting next to it in the L7 outperfroming it, it's hard to ignore. Considering the L7 was half the retail cost, too, I expect more from the XPL.

Anyway, Bo, I'll sit on it for a while, but at the least I'll probably farm some of these out to the kids. This CD wreaked havoc...ultimately in a positive way.

Zilch
05-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Try playing your sub of choice with the S2600s.

I bet they'll move up.

The image thing is, well, "compelling." :yes:

boputnam
05-10-2007, 08:06 AM
I will say this... This CD wreaked havoc...ultimately in a positive way.TiDome...

Thanks for the full report. Propitious timing...

My review is only from the 4345, and there is no intent on playing this collection on any others.

I was stopped by track #8: "Feste Romane" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Festivals) by Ottorino Respighi (excerpt).

I have never heard anything like this, anywhere, and don't imagine it could be reproduced any better by any speaker. That is largely a reaction to the 2245H - otherwise I believe the DD66000 would excel. The timpany rolls, and ending cacophany of punctuating synchronous deep brass and double basses was skin crawling good. I was up close at Avery Fisher Hall, or San Francisco Opera House or Crouse College (http://syracusethenandnow.org/Dwntwn/SU/CrouseCollege/CrouseCollege.html) (Syracuse U campus), a place I played bass trombone many times.

Titanium Dome
05-10-2007, 10:09 AM
I was stopped by track #8: "Feste Romane" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Festivals) by Ottorino Respighi (excerpt).

I have the entire trio of Respighi's symphonic Roman poems on Columbia Masterworks LPs. It's a real treat.

The excerpt on the Eargle disc is a tour de force, but you really got to get the whole thing if you can.

Fontane di Roma
Pini di Roma
Fest Romane

I can't say I've ever heard the Oregon Symphony, but the Delos label has the complete trio on CD. It's possible that John Eargle used this recording as the basis of his excerpt since it's in the Delos catalog.

http://www.delosmus.com/cgi/cart/item/de32/de3287.html?ID=284111178816547

Jesus Lopez-Cobos has done virtually the complete major Respighi catalog, mostly on Telarc.

http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title.asp?gsku=0505&mscssid=5N1GC23RN9R08NBR6JHGU3SW2FSNADN9

Yeah, I know, too much Respighi... :p

Titanium Dome
05-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Just a quick comment on the mailers that contained the CDs. You'll recall Harman is a company of many brands, one of which is Infinity. Infinity makes both automobile and home (consumer) speakers.

The CDs were mailed out of the Harman Consumer Group offices in New Jersey. I'm sure there are lots of mailers there with various consumer group logos on them, so even though the product brand may be Infinity, they all came from the same great people at Harman Consumer Group.

boputnam
05-10-2007, 02:12 PM
And I just wanted to remind our readers of Jim's original thought and effort in this - and to thank him. :thmbsup:
...I have written Mr.Widget about a conversation that I had with Mike Christian the Manager of Customer support at JBL.

My original idea of putting the Sessions LP's on cd has hit some legal snafu. Jbl doesn't believe they have the rights to the music on those lp's and I would have to contact each individual artist on those lp's and get their permission. This as we all know would never happen.

I also told him that we really prefer the Eargle CD demonstrating the Everset system. I also mentioned that I thought it would be a good way of adding funds to the forum. In his genorosity he has set aside 30 copies of this CD for our member's.

Mike Christian is sending me his personal copy of the CD for my effort in this matter. He also stated he's always willing to help the folks at LHS.

It might also be a good idea to personally email him and thank him for his genorosity. He can be reached at mchristian-AT-harman.com ([email protected]) (replace the "-AT-" with "@" - moots the spambots...)

I think this is very generous of JBL and reaffirm's my decison to own the best.

Jim

boputnam
05-10-2007, 06:57 PM
My review is only from the 4345, and there is no intent on playing this collection on any others. Must be feeling the blues - quoting myself... :o:

Listening again, tonight. And again, halted by Track #8.

Glass raised, toasting the lifetime contributions of John Eargle.

And again a thanks to Don. John Eargle's work was long on my reference shelf; you brought him into our lives. Remarkable...

Earl K
05-15-2007, 07:58 AM
& I'll let you know when mine arrives .

My CD arrived last friday, about an hour after I added my words to the thread noting John Eargles' passing. All in all ( because of the timing ) a very bittersweet day .

I'm curious to hear what you guys think of it. I gave mine a quick listen a few weeks ago on the 4355's before they went bye bye.

- I've played it 6 or 7 times by now . John Eargle was certainly a remarkable recordist of music .

- In a nutshell, this cd has me wanting to own the 19 CDs ( on Delos International ) which are the source for this compilation .

- Sound ? Remarkably true to life musical fundamentals, lacking the oh so typical overblown and exaggerated upper harmonic content that is so typical of over 90 % of the stuff out there. ( ie; no "boom & sizzle" here / just pure , honest to goodness music ).

- I was really impressed with how every track is anchored by great musical tonics / this never wavers . This "oneness" is threaded throughout the cd , linking every track into an obvious root family even though the musical genres are quite disparate ( okay, al over the place ) . Really a treat to listen to .

- Typically there is huge depth of field recorded along with the music for most every track. I wonder how all this space translates as part of the musical experience played back on other systems.
- With better resolving systems, one can get distracted just counting Rt60
decay times and the like ( ie; listening to the space ).

- I had to slightly increase the drive levels for my horns ( .25 to .5 db a side ). I assume this was to compensate for the fact that my aluminum diaphragms just don't resolve as much as the beryllium types ( plus the 288 has only 1/2 the sq inches of diaphragm area when compared to the 476nd ) .

- Of course, this cd has increased my appetite to hear the Everest II / even if only to compare my present perceptions on the real deal .

Titanium Dome
06-09-2007, 11:11 AM
By now, everyone should have received their CDs. I heard from one winner who was concerned, but it showed up shortly thereafter.

Considering the recent passing of John Eargle, it is especially fortunate that JBL/Harman and Mike Christian were so generous in donating these shortly before John's death. We can all be doubly grateful that such an opportunity came to pass.

I marvel at the synchronicity of it all whenever I listen to the CD, and I silently thank kingjames, JBL/Harman, Mike, and, most of all, John for such a gift. :yes:

kingjames
06-09-2007, 02:02 PM
I have to agree with you TI, the cd is all the more special with John's passing.I feel the timing to be extraordinary in a good sense.I am sure John knows how much we appreciate this cd.:yes:

Storm
06-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Would anyone like to sell me a copy of their CD or do you have extras? I would be more than willing to give a good donation to the forum.

Thanks.

-Storm

richluvsound
06-09-2007, 04:19 PM
I feel very honoured to be a winner of this cd. Mine arrived just in time to christern my 4345 cone. I feel a bit of a fraud, a wannabe. .You guy's know all about him . I'd never heard of him until I joined the forum. But , then again , thats the beauty of the forum," Learning". Maybe I'm supposed to have it . Its the only one in the UK from the raffle. I will need to read more about him . I smile when I imagine what he's listerning to up there. It is a brilliant piece of engineering . The 2245's love the cannons. Who cares about the neigbours. Its kind of like a 21 gun salute to Mr Eargle .A salute to the gifts he left his family, friends and ofcourse JBL. I'm sure he infected a few with his passion and commitment. Those few will continue his work and make him proud . He has left his gifts for many.

Richard

kingjames
06-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Richard, most of us are in the same boat. We didn't know him either. It is only through his music can we begin to understand his genius in putting these tracks together.

I have read some of the literature here in the library on him,the 60 Year Anniverasry book by him,the words from people who knew him here and then to listen to his great music. Take all this together and you get a sense of the man.His love for music is explained well in this cd at least for me it is. I still can't get over the timing of it all.

Storm
07-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Any extra CDs?

I will donate to the EARGLE fund.

I have paypal.

Would love to hear this stuff on a pair of JBL 250TIs.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

;)

-Storm.

Zilch
07-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Bad idea, Storm.

Offering a generous contribution to the Eargle fund might elicit a favorable response, however.... :yes:

Storm
07-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Just got my Eargle CD today and WOW!

KingJames, Thank you!

This CD really shines on the JBL 250TIs!

Incredible!!!

And to think I wanted to get rid of these speakers. What was I thinking??? I suppose I wasn't.

These speakers are keepers for sure.

Wonder if the Valencias would have been able to keep up? --

-Storm.

Earl K
10-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi All,

- I know that some of you who have this cd, own a few different speaker systems .

- I also know that ( from time to time ) some of the musical info on this cd will "voice" ( or reveal ) itself better than at other times ( I usually find this after doing tweaks to my own system / & these changes are usually capacitor related ).

- So, I'm wondering ( ignoring the cannons & bells on cut #1 ) / are there any tracks where the resolution of one system over another , is able to unmask certain "phantom" events that just aren't audible on a lesser system ?

- I'd like to hear about any of your experiences in this area .