PDA

View Full Version : What's in Your 8 Track Collection?

sourceoneaudio
03-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Thought this would be a good, and funny topic from other discussions on what gear people used to own in previous threads. So now lets talk about the Music. What is in your 8 track collection?
I will post my collection tomorrow.

J/S-S1A :nutz:

Fred Sanford
03-16-2007, 04:52 AM
I sent mine off to a friend in the Midwest, a car player and a Fisher home deck. He had asked me once to recommend a high-end 8 track player...I was actually speechless. I explained to him later that it was an inherently flawed design, and the wow & flutter actually mattered to some people, but he digs it so he paid for the shipping.

The only tapes I remember distinctly were:

Kansas- Leftoverture

John Denver- Greatest Hits

Boston- Boston

Spike Jones Collection

...and some Perry Como, Acker Bilk, Yakety Sax, Herb Alpert and Hawaiian Love Songs my folks had.

je

hjames
03-16-2007, 05:23 AM
Kraftwerk - Autobahn - (what else?) for the long drives between DC and Columbia SC circa 73-74
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
Bonnie Rait - Give it Up!

de fun fun fun of de Autobahn!

fotodan
03-16-2007, 06:06 AM
God, once cassette came out, 8 tracks hit the trash can. When I graduated in 73 I had 69 Plymouth GTX had factory 8 track. Home unit was a Craig, Had Akia X1810 reel to reel that also had 8 track on the side of unit.

Tapes ranged from Paul McCartney, Rod Stewart, Grass Roots, Guess Who Beach Boys Ten Years After, etc. Out of all of them, still to this day use vinyl the most....:)

BMWCCA
03-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Oddly enough, I had (and still have) a Sony home 8-track recorder, so many of my 8-track tapes are home-made. I stumbled upon the odd machine a while back, along with a box of tapes. I hooked it up to play as more of a novelty for my kids and it worked quite well, using the store-bought tapes from the box, until it got to the first splice/track-change contact, where the splice failed and tape ran everywhere. This happened on the next two tapes until I wasn't having fun anymore and quit flagellating myself. The tapes in question were Youngbloods Elephant Mountain, Led Zep II, and one less memorable. Anyone else still have a reaction when listening to CDs you had on 8-track when you hit the track change in your brain but the CD doesn't have the pause or the clunk? :blink:

sourceoneaudio
03-16-2007, 08:48 AM
8-track - When you hit the track change in your brain but the CD doesn't have the pause or the clunk? :blink:

You could hear it from across the room (CLUNK)

J/S-S1A :applaud:

sourceoneaudio
03-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Here is my 8 Track Collection:

Beatles - Abbey Road
Led Zepplin - II & III
Carol King - Tapestry
Three Dog Night - Golden Bisquits (2)
Jim Croce - Don't Mess Around With Jim
John Lennon - Imagine
John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band
The Alan Parson Project - The Turn Of a Friendly Card
Nat King Cole - Unforgettable
Nat King Cole - At the Sands
90 Minutes with Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops
John Denver - Rocky Mountain X-Mas
Journey - Captured
Seals & Crofts - Greatest Hits
Santana's - Greatest Hits
Supertramp - Paris
Moody Blues - Greatest Hits
ABBA - Super Trouper
5th Dimension Greatest Hits on Earth
Steve Miller Band - Book of Dreams
Blues Brothers - Briefcase Full of Blues
Janis Joplin - Super Rock
Three Dog Night - Naturally
The World of Great Classics Vol: 1, & 2, 4, 5, are new never opened.
Foghat - Boogie Motel
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors & Penguin
Alice Cooper - Killer 490
The Charlie Daniels Band - Million Mile Reflections
Bad Company - Run With The Pack
Blackfoot - Strikes
Bob Seger - Live Bullet
The Cars - The Cars

That's a step in the way back machine. Now here's a real step back, first style of recorded music ever. First Patented issued in October 1892 by Thomas Edison.
Edison Gold Molded Records (Echo All Over The World)

JBL Dog
03-24-2007, 11:21 PM
I don't believe I've ever purchased a pre-recorded 8-track (or cassette) tape in my life. Considering my age, that has to be a rarity. I always bought vinyl and recorded what I felt was worthy to a cassette on my Pioneer CTF-7171. Here is a list the 8-tracks that were hot from my high school days:

Kansas "Masque"
Bob Seger "Live Bullet"
Eagles "Greatest Hits 1971-1975"
Steve Miller Band "Fly Like An Eagle"
Peter Frampton "Frampton Comes Alive"
Ted Nugent "Free-For-All"
Chicago "Greatest Hits"
Bruce Springsteen "Born To Run"

The car stereo of choice was a Pioneer 8-track Super Tuner with Jensen Triaxels.

pmakres1
03-25-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't believe I've ever purchased a pre-recorded 8-track (or cassette) tape in my life. Considering my age, that has to be a rarity. I always bought vinyl and recorded what I felt was worthy to a cassette on my Pioneer CTF-7171. Here is a list the 8-tracks that were hot from my high school days:

Kansas "Masque"
Bob Seger "Live Bullet"
Eagles "Greatest Hits 1971-1975"
Steve Miller Band "Fly Like An Eagle"
Peter Frampton "Frampton Comes Alive"
Ted Nugent "Free-For-All"
Chicago "Greatest Hits"
Bruce Springsteen "Born To Run"

The car stereo of choice was a Pioneer 8-track Super Tuner with Jensen Triaxels.

I'm like you dog, I never did do the 8-track thing; I too recorded vinyl onto cassette. I had a Pioneer CTF-900 back then. Anyway, you're really bringing back memories when you mention the Pioneer "Super Tuner". My car stereo of the late seventies was the Pioneer KP-500 with Supertuner. I still have it-see photo! You'll note that it's on one of those slide in-slide out locking security brackets-as thieves liked these too and they relieved me of my first one. Of course you had to have an equalizer amp as well...in my case a Sparkomatic. And of course I had the Jensen Triaxials as well, all mounted in my first car-a 1964 Pontiac Tempest. It sounded pretty good!:D

But I sure do remember those 8-tracks though, with their clunky Programs 1,2,3,4....:blink:

Peter

jim campbell
03-25-2007, 03:29 PM
around 68 i had some kind of phillips top load cassette player that came with a removable slide out bracket that allowed it to tie into the am car radio of my 61 consul........(english ford compact).with a 6x9 rear speaker we were in audio heaven.missed out on the whole 8 track thing except when in my buds hemi charger rt that had a factory 8 track and electric windows

SEAWOLF97
03-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Oddly enough, I had (and still have) a Sony home 8-track recorder, :blink:

A couple of weeks ago, bot a Poneer 8track recorder in nearly perfect shape that has DOLBY-B in it, with calibration test tone.

pmakres1
03-25-2007, 04:11 PM
A couple of weeks ago, bot a Poneer 8track recorder in nearly perfect shape that has DOLBY-B in it, with calibration test tone.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

SEAWOLF97
03-25-2007, 04:35 PM
REALLY ? :blink: :blink: :blink:

yes

pmakres1
03-25-2007, 04:47 PM
yes

It looks pretty nice from what I can tell, can we see a whole pic? :bouncy:

jim campbell
03-25-2007, 04:51 PM
i can remember around 72 or so they had clubs that for a membership fee would dub or clone eight tracks on some kind of "high speed copier".i was a vinyl guy so i never bit but my friend went in both barrels.turns out the clones were such bad quality that they only lasted a play or two.i dont know if it was that or the copyright folks that did em in

SEAWOLF97
03-25-2007, 04:56 PM
It looks pretty nice from what I can tell, can we see a whole pic? :bouncy:

its 4 sale

mbask
03-31-2007, 04:10 PM
My 8Track stopped playing tapes long ago...well, sort of.
I still have...
Zappa: Roxy & Elsewhere, 200 Motels.
Grateful Dead: American Beauty, Shakedown Street.
Jerry Garcia: Cats Under The Stars.
Jefferson Starship: Modern times
Sealed Blank: "Inter Magnetics, Studio Quality/Low Noise, 45 Minutes.
Realistic/Tandy: Demagnetizer/Head cleaner..designed by Ampex.
Memorex: Head Cleaner

busted 8track player turned into a minature Leslie speaker one night after i ate a half pint of ice cream.:blink:

I don't throw much away.

mbask
03-31-2007, 04:14 PM
better view