View Full Version : Some Disturbing Harman Info

Ken Pachkowsky
03-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Hmmm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Harman

Ken

SEAWOLF97
03-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Harman International Industries is known for buying and then disassembling entire high-end music companies entirely to answer to their shareholders and profit margins. Harman ordered thousands of Studer parts destroyed in order to avoid servicing them.

Don C
03-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Well, I'm glad they offered such a complete and balanced review of Mr Harman's career.:rolleyes:

Titanium Dome
03-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Well, I'm glad they offered such a complete and balanced review of Mr Harman's career.:rolleyes:

Harman International made $255 million on revenue of $3.248 billion in 2006. Dr. Sidney is doing just fine. Automotive led the way with a 15% increase, with consumer and pro both gaining about 5%. Reportedly, JBL accounted for a larger share of that than all the other Harman brands combined.

...and apparently they didn't have to cover support costs for some old Studer gear. :p

Titanium Dome
03-10-2007, 11:55 PM
For your edification:

http://www.harman.com/A_REPORTS/2006/HII-2006.PDF

Automotive sales accounted for 69% of total revenues. JBL OEM automotive products led the way. In consumer, JBL iPod speakers accounted for the majority of the annual increase of 5%.

The Everest II DD66000 is pictured twice early in the report.

Mr. Widget
03-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Harman International Industries is known for buying and then disassembling...I don't think Ken had a problem with Harman International's hardball business practices... it was the fact that some of the profits have headed toward the Democratic Party. :rotfl:

Widget

Ken Pachkowsky
03-11-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't think Ken had a problem with Harman International's hardball business practices... it was the fact that some of the profits have headed toward the Democratic Party. :rotfl:

Widget

Always the comedian:)

I do have an issue with this type of business practice. I am sure Willie Studer would be against such a decision. I strongly suspect companies like Studer and JBL were first and foremost, passion driven.

I don't know much about HK's history but would guess Harman was the bean counter in that collaboration? Is his doctorate in economics's?

I have never been a fan of the Gordon Gecko's of the world.

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
03-11-2007, 01:50 PM
I was just sent this.

Yesterday, Harman International (HAR) ordered the complete destruction of existing stock of analog devices and spare parts at Studer Switzerland.

Studer, a Harman International company destroyed 8 million euros worth of premium analog gear. Employees were threatened with termination if caught trying to save any of these items. Along with several brand new 827 recording devices, 960 series desks, countless 2 track machines combined with their entire spare parts inventory, the destruction included all design and engineering schematics for the entire analog series.

Several distributors offered to purchase the existing inventory with no response from Harman International. Studer CEO Bruno Hochstrasser promised a few spare parts to a group who opened a Studer museum in the old Studer headquarter's building. Harman USA sent a representitive to oversee the destruction.

If true, why would they do this? Apparently this happened in late November 2006

Shocking or what?

Ken

Titanium Dome
03-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Ken, it's difficult to take a single incident or even a few scattered events and make a definitive statement about a person (or a company, probably).

I've never met the man, but I have seen the results of his leadership, both good and bad. One way to get a larger perspective on him is to read some of his published writing.

You can get an overview of his recent and influential book, Mind Your Own Business, here:

http://www.bizsum.com/articles/art_mind-your-own-business.php

TD

Ken Pachkowsky
03-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Ken, it's difficult to take a single incident or even a few scattered events and make a definitive statement about a person.

I've never met the man, but I have seen the results of his leadership, both good and bad. One way to get a larger perspective on him is to read some of his published writing.

True enough. There is always two sides to every story.

Ken

Hoerninger
03-11-2007, 02:01 PM
I was just sent this. ...

It hurts.

Zilch
03-11-2007, 02:32 PM
What if it were Behringer rather than Studer? :hmm:

Ken Pachkowsky
03-11-2007, 03:12 PM

What if it were JBL rather than Studer:hmm: :hmm:

Ken

Titanium Dome
03-11-2007, 03:21 PM

Ken

What if it were JBL Radiance Series? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

:D

Titanium Dome
03-11-2007, 03:27 PM
What if it were JBL Radiance Series? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

I'd put it next to this old Fostex.

http://www.juergenspecht.com/singles/?date=2004-12-31

Hoerninger
03-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Dr.Hc.Willi Studer founded REVOX 1948 to produce taperecorders. Later the professional machines were labeled STUDER, home market machines were labeled REVOX. In the sixties REVOX/STUDER were standard in studios worldwide. Abbey-Road-Studios produced the Beatles with STUDER machines.

Willi Studer retired around 1989, he died 1st of March 1996 in the age of 83. He was surely comparable with J.B.Lansing in his engagement for producing the best.

Here are some interviews with Willi Studer, "very heart going". But it is in Schwitzer Dütsch (Swiss German) it is only easy understandable for swiss people.
http://www.revox.name/sites/interviewmitwstuder.htm

http://www.revox.name/images/willistuder2.jpg

Thom
03-11-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm glad it was pointed out. It is probably pointless to continue to editorialise about it on this of all sites, although it would be pretty petty if they were too thin skinned to allow it. Seems they could have sold the lot. If it wouldn't be profitable for them to continue to service them it doesn't seam like someone else doing it could have dented their market enough to make a difference. Maybe they always earned their nickname of common hardon. Weren't these the people who held on to germanium longer than Sherwood?

Maron Horonzakz
03-13-2007, 07:33 AM
APRIL FOOL !!!!!!:D It is really true that Harmon just bought FORD & will destroy all tooling & bring back the YUGO:D

hjames
03-13-2007, 07:43 AM
APRIL FOOL !!!!!!:D It is really true that Harmon just bought FORD & will destroy all tooling & bring back the YUGO:D

Its not April yet, ya maron!

Besides, it IS true that Ferrari bought Ford and is bringing back the Maverick.

4313B
03-13-2007, 08:10 AM
I was just sent this.

Yesterday, Harman International (HAR) ordered the complete destruction of existing stock of analog devices and spare parts at Studer Switzerland.

Studer, a Harman International company destroyed 8 million euros worth of premium analog gear. Employees were threatened with termination if caught trying to save any of these items. Along with several brand new 827 recording devices, 960 series desks, countless 2 track machines combined with their entire spare parts inventory, the destruction included all design and engineering schematics for the entire analog series.

Several distributors offered to purchase the existing inventory with no response from Harman International. Studer CEO Bruno Hochstrasser promised a few spare parts to a group who opened a Studer museum in the old Studer headquarter's building. Harman USA sent a representitive to oversee the destruction.

If true, why would they do this? Apparently this happened in late November 2006

Shocking or what?

KenThe first time it happened it was shocking and difficult to understand. The second time it wasn't as shocking or as difficult to understand. After several times one becomes disinterested and disengaged with what Harman does.

KenWhatever...

I suspect there will be changes once a few key people finally leave.

sourceoneaudio
03-13-2007, 08:41 AM
I lost track, years ago weren't they close to owning 50 or so different AV companies? I know their stock has never had an issue I think it was year to a year and half ago it was over $150.00 a share. From an investment point I think they are one the strongest especially after locking down the BMW market place for factory HIFI. They might do some odd things in the big business world but who doesn't? Look at GM, last word was Ford and them were going to join forces, after Renault said no.

J/S-S1A :blink: Spooky

boputnam
03-13-2007, 12:48 PM
What if it were Behringer rather than Studer? :hmm:It wouldn't be newsworthy. Hell, it wouldn't even be genocide - it would be humanitarian! :rotfl:

scott fitlin
03-13-2007, 12:57 PM
The first time it happened it was shocking and difficult to understand. The second time it wasn't as shocking or as difficult to understand. After several times one becomes disinterested and disengaged with what Harman does.Whatever...

I suspect there will be changes once a few key people finally leave.Well, when WILL they leave? Or are they like the mob, once your in, theres no way out, except in a box?

HARMan International is evil! But, then, that isnt news to me, Ive known this for a looooooong time.

But, oh, wait a minute, hold on, I have a studer revox tape machine. Oops, I guess I have to be terminated! Got some great analog stuff too. DSP just hasnt lived up to the promise, yeah, its gotten better than it was, but, go listen to some real analog gear, and wow, what a treat.

Hoerninger
03-13-2007, 01:16 PM
But, oh, wait a minute, hold on, I have a studer revox tape machine. Oops, I guess I have to be terminated!

Why? Nowadays Studer and Revox are separated. Revox is maintained in Switzerland, but I do not know details.

scott fitlin
03-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Why? Nowadays Studer and Revox are separated. Revox is maintained in Switzerland, but I do not know details.

Cool, good to know.

Maron Horonzakz
03-13-2007, 03:15 PM
HJAMES.....Hell i still own my Nash.....What are all you people belly acheing about....If you didnt support Studer equipment it should be scrapped. And that crappy Revox is no Studer. You cant get blank tapes worth a damn any more...Tape manufacturing slowed to a trickkle...Scotch went back to stickky tape for paint stores. Otari will make a recorder for you $3,000 to $15,000,,,Who on this site will belly up to the bar for one of those. Not one Jack of you. Dont blame Harmon its a great company.;)

scott fitlin
03-13-2007, 03:24 PM
I dont agree. I feel they are PUSHING us into new technology, even if we dont like it or want to use it.

Some things have been improvements and other things havent.

Wanna know something? Urei! That was a GREAT audio name! Studios to this day still use and love Urei 1176 compressors, WHY did Harman do away with Urei? Have you seen what an 1176 or LA-2A goes for on ebay?

I have DSP, its my third foray in the digital domain of signal processing. I very recently went back to analog, Urei 525, it isnt even funny just how much of a difference there is. And, I took the time to dial in the DSP till i got what I felt was good, not to mention customer compliments about my sound. But, thus far, everyone that is hearing my analog sound asks, HOW do you get it to sound like that?

Its a free country, ( it just costs alot to be here, is all ) I can have my own opinion, and I still respect yours, even though I disagree!

:)

Maron Horonzakz
03-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Well true Urei made a great product...But when the product saturates the market...To a point where buying it used is cheaper than getting a new one, production will suffer and dry up...The only company that has kept there product going Is Klipsch....The product is still in production (Klipschorn) for 60 years...Its a trickkle But that product is still being made. Where is Studer? Where is Ampex? You have to support that company if you want that company to support you....How many here has bought a new JBL product rather than a TRUCK.?

scott fitlin
03-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Well, lets see. I own 12 JBL 2226H,s, I recently bought cabinets, last year, with eight JBL 2242,s. I WOULD buy more JBL items, if I wanted them.

I have tried various compression drivers in my system, including newer JBL drivers, but, I like my 2441,s.

My BSS FDS-366t counts! BSS is a Harman owned company.

I am seriously looking into purchasing three new Crown amplifiers to run my 15,s, and not inexpensive amps either. BRAND NEW CROWN K2,s, I wont buy used, new is new. And Crown is Harman owned these days.

I would love to take Mr. Greg Timbers up on his original offer to purchase the unobtainable 476Be compression driver, but, hey, even I cant justify $21,000 for six compression drivers, and unfortunately, I didnt hit the mega-millions last week for $355mil.

Would I say Im the largest end user of JBL/Harman components? No, not at all. But, I do spend money! And money has been spent on JBL, NEW JBL.

:)

doodlebug
03-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Wanna know something? Urei! That was a GREAT audio name! Studios to this day still use and love Urei 1176 compressors, WHY did Harman do away with Urei? Have you seen what an 1176 or LA-2A goes for on ebay?

Well, I can shed some light on this one. Bill Putnam, Jr, restarted Universal Audio (www.uaudio.com (http://www.uaudio.com)) a few years back. Here's a link to their history: http://www.uaudio.com/company/history/index.html. Their analog line of gear is based on those orignal UREI devices.

So, I'd look at Harmon's decision to abandon the UREI brand as a plus.

BTW, I start work with this company tomorrow.:applaud:

Cheers,

David

scott fitlin
03-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Well, I can shed some light on this one. Bill Putnam, Jr, restarted Universal Audio (www.uaudio.com (http://www.uaudio.com)) a few years back. Here's a link to their history: http://www.uaudio.com/company/history/index.html. Their analog line of gear is based on those orignal UREI devices.

Cheers,

DavidYes, I know about Universal Audio, and their products get high acclaim. Their mic pre is supposed to be all that. And, yes, I agree, this is a good thing to have them around, especially if its that classic Urei sound one wants. I happen to really dig Urei stuff.

Congratulations on your new job. :applaud:

Titanium Dome
03-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Good for you! Hope it goes well.

Now, can you get LH members the employee discount?

Cheers,

David

Steve Schell
03-15-2007, 02:02 PM
The inclusion of the anecdote of the destruction of the Studer parts seems odd, as though the writer had searched far and wide for negative stuff to add to the profile of Jane Harman. Strange.

Ken Pachkowsky
03-15-2007, 02:11 PM
The inclusion of the anecdote of the destruction of the Studer parts seems odd, as though the writer had searched far and wide for negative stuff to add to the profile of Jane Harman. Strange.

Can't argue that Steve. Almost like a personal vendetta?

One had nothing to do with the other?

Ken

Steve Schell
03-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Hi Ken,

I doubt if Jane knows what a Studer is or does. That's hubby's department.

Most all Wikipedia stuff I have read has seemed authoritative and balanced. This is the first article that gave me concern for the author's motives. I have run across comments by some that Wikipedia has huge problems, is deeply flawed, etc., but up til now I couldn't figure out what they were talking about.