PDA

View Full Version : Artists/Groups you cant stand ?

Pages : [1] 2

SEAWOLF97
02-19-2007, 11:40 AM
we've got threads for FAVs...why not a thread for those that you cant stand ? The ones that you get up and change the station , rather than listen to them ?

I'll start.

Bruce Springsteen
Rush
Yes
Thin Lizzy
Ambrosia (some YES clone)
Captain Beyond
Frank Zappa
Genisis/Phil Collins
Dixi-land - anything

You are welcome to disagree, but let's keep it civil. Please add your AGYCS entries.

jim campbell
02-19-2007, 12:37 PM
if i ever hear anything by shaggy again ill be in the loony bin

Chas
02-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Kenny G
Mariah Carey
That Yanni guy...

hjames
02-19-2007, 12:40 PM
John Tesh! (We tried relistening to his Hymns CD again today and its just souless Hollywood dreck)

RAMMSTEIN (we've got a friend that insists on playing this stuff REAL LOUD in her car)

Oh yeah, and
fokkin' Ted Nugent

we've got threads for FAVs...why not a thread for those that you cant stand ?
The ones that you get up and change the station , rather than listen to them ?

I'll start.

Bruce Springsteen
Rush
Yes
Thin Lizzy
Captain Beyond

You are welcome to disagree, but let's keep it civil. Please add your AGYCS entries.

jim campbell
02-19-2007, 12:50 PM
geez i almost forgot madonna,or did i just block it out.springsteen,overrated to be sure.all the ones chas mentioned,but im sure theres a special place in hell for celine dion and whitney houston,right next to the fireplace

soundboy
02-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Being a long time pro guitarist, I tend to get irritable at anything that doesn't have any redeeming melodic content or talent. So, although I disagree with seawolf (some of the guys, especially Rush, can truly play phenominally), I understand his choices....but my picks are anything that has to do with Rap, Gangsta Rap, or anything that involves a drum machine, trashy street talk, and zero musical talent. Ludacris, and the ilk, come to mind.

And, just to assure anyone I am not being racist....there isn't a single other black performer in Jazz, Blues, rock, that I dislike....ok, maybe Buddy Guy's sloppy overrated guitar licks....

SEAWOLF97
02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Kenny G
Mariah Carey
That Yanni guy...

I will sure second you on that pretentious slop.

SEAWOLF97
02-19-2007, 02:04 PM
So, although I disagree with seawolf (some of the guys, especially Rush, can truly play phenominally), I

My problem with Rush is the lead singer , not esp the guitar. Cant stand his voice and inflections.

Foghat also.

kingjames
02-19-2007, 02:47 PM
rolling stones
Bob Dylan(only his voice) great song writer!

Hofmannhp
02-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Rolling Stones
Who
Pink Floyd
John Lee Hooker
Steve Ray Vaughn
Eric Clapton
Muddy Waters
Albert King
Robert Johnson
Elmore James
BB King
Walter Trout
Cream
Rory Gallagher
Doors

jim campbell
02-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Rolling Stones
Who
Pink Floyd
John Lee Hooker
Steve Ray Vaughn
Eric Clapton
Muddy Waters
Albert King
Robert Johnson
Elmore James
BB King
Walter Trout
Cream
Rory Gallagher
Doors
wow,im guessing this is gonna be a barn burner of a thread.while ill agree that clapton has been overrated for years and and bb king mostly just phones it in,i would not say the same for the rest,(trout excepted cause i dont know his stuff).and a metric america??whats next flouridation,communism...... armageddon???

Zilch
02-19-2007, 05:17 PM
HP's postin' in the wrong thread.

[Those're his favorites.... :p ]

SEAWOLF97
02-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Rolling Stones
Who
Pink Floyd
John Lee Hooker
Steve Ray Vaughn
Eric Clapton
Muddy Waters
Albert King
Robert Johnson
Elmore James
BB King
Walter Trout
Cream
Rory Gallagher
Doors

wow...WHO do you like ???

doors , cream ?? those are 2 of my favs.

speakerdave
02-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Worst I ever heard was Pat Boone's "heavy metal" CD. It was offered to me by I student; I had to give it a token listen.

David

SEAWOLF97
02-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Worst I ever heard was Pat Boone's "heavy metal" CD. It was offered to me by I student; I had to give it a token listen.

David

Oh man, that conjurs up visions of William Shattners album , and Leonard Nimmoys too :banghead:

Hofmannhp
02-20-2007, 12:36 AM
HP's postin' in the wrong thread.

[Those're his favorites.... :p ]

you're right.....haven't read the beginning well enough:banghead::banghead:

OK, here it is in the right way:

Queen

HP

Zilch
02-20-2007, 01:42 AM
Good thing, HP.

I was about to come spray paint the Blues Garage.... :p

JBLRaiser
02-20-2007, 06:55 AM
after he started wearing his mothers clothes! Post Honky Chateau with few exceptions

Hofmannhp
02-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Good thing, HP.

I was about to come spray paint the Blues Garage.... :p

Hi Zilch,

maybe in PINK like Elton will like it? :D

HP

jim campbell
02-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Queen

i wanted to say that.but heres one that most love to hate, michael bolton,or should i say 2,michael macdonald.

Chas
02-20-2007, 08:30 AM
you're right.....haven't read the beginning well enough:banghead::banghead:

OK, here it is in the right way:

Queen

HP

HP, you had me worried there for a while:( . I'm with you when it comes to Queen:) .

SEAWOLF97
02-20-2007, 09:05 AM
heres one that most love to hate, michael bolton

I came up with that name, in the middle of the night.....like a nightmare or something,,,,,you beat me to it, Jim

SEAWOLF97
02-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Jefferson Starship ...tho some of the Airplane stuff was OKAY.

Storm
02-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Wow, no wonder why I don't get along with any of you...

I enjoy all the music you are listing as your favorite to hate.

Oh well - I know what I like and I like what I know.

:)

-Storm.

hjames
02-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Jefferson Starship ...tho some of the Airplane stuff was OKAY.

Well - I actually liked the earliest (1st generation) Jefferson Starship album -"Blows Against the Empire" with David Crosby and Jerry Garcia and such - But that late-model pop-radio stuff ... ackk!!

And - to keep on topic ...

I hate that overproduced country music stuff - what I call
Nasal Nashville - you know, with all the strings and stuff like a bad easy listening record.

Now - I'll admit I have some Country Gentlemen, Johnny Cash, Dwight Yokum, Lyle Lovett and a few other country CDs on the shelf - but that really bad stuff - uhh-uhhhh!

SEAWOLF97
02-20-2007, 12:21 PM
-Storm.

That explains some things..............must be they sound better on Altecs (that IS what you have ? )

Kenny G
Mariah Carey
That Yanni guy...

Ludacris

Pat Boone

michael bolton.madonna,springsteen,celine dion and whitney houston

opimax
02-20-2007, 12:56 PM
If I could pick the songs Yanni plays then he would be ok but the stuff that gets played is dribble!! Also he brings some talanted musicians on tour

all that being said I have quit seeing him live because the bad choice in music but many years ago....

Mark

SEAWOLF97
02-20-2007, 01:43 PM
10 years ago , I wud have answered : Sinatra and Elvis. But recently have learned to appreciate their voices and production values. Still dont own any of their works , but I dont switch channels when they are on , either. :)

toddalin
02-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Neil Young (without Crosby, Stills, and Nash). I just can't take his whining. :barf:

Robh3606
02-20-2007, 06:33 PM
I don't like CSN unless it's CSNY

So there:moon:

He writes great stuff but I have to admit his voice isn't the cats meow or maybe it is:blink:

Rob:)

jim campbell
02-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Neil Young (without Crosby, Stills, and Nash). I just can't take his whining. :barf:for me neil young is a very regular play around here but i guess for some its an acquired taste.i find real voices to be interesting musically more than the polished "squeeze every note you ever even dreamed of into every single bar ala houston,dion,or every bit of emotion you can fake ala macdonald or bolton".the older i get the more i can appreciate the likes of sinatra,bennett,even tho i really dont care for the style they were just so good at it.as well some of the folks they played with were top notch.the kenny g's of this world just get in the way of the real guys

SEAWOLF97
02-20-2007, 07:36 PM
for me neil young is a very regular play around here but i guess for some its an acquired taste.

yup , Neil sounds like a REAL PERSON, not some manufactured idol clone. His songwriting is first rate and he appears to sing of real causes.

no , jim and seawolf are not the same person , tho our music collections sure do overlap

Now Van Morrison , he's a channel switcher for me, except for the THEM stuff.

jim campbell
02-20-2007, 07:36 PM

-Storm.as time goes by your tastes change and grow.a lot of what i listened to back in the day is off the radar now but hopefully the real stuff remains.

jim campbell
02-20-2007, 07:42 PM

:) swami jim sez that the road to enlightenment begins with an open mind.i know that i know way less than i used to think i knew.........

hjames
02-20-2007, 07:54 PM

-Storm.

Me? I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk ...

kingjames
02-20-2007, 08:25 PM
10 years ago , I wud have answered : Sinatra and Elvis. But recently have learned to appreciate their voices and production values. Still dont own any of their works , but I dont switch channels when they are on , either. :)

Frank Sinatra, I don't like,and in our family we were told that we should like all Italian singers since we are Italians. I just didn't like his music no matter what he sang. Elvis,on the other hand could sing any kind of song and sing it well.

I love Blues but hate Jazz
I love Rock but hate Pop Rock
I love Oldies but hate Big Band
I love Disco but hate Techo
I love R&B but hate Rap.:bouncy: :bouncy:

SEAWOLF97
02-20-2007, 08:33 PM
He ain't an artist....but anytime HOWARD STERN is on anything, it gets turned OFF.

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Frank Sinatra, I don't like,and in our family we were told that we should like all Italian singers since we are Italians. I just didn't like his music no matter what he sang. Elvis,on the other hand could sing any kind of song and sing it well.

I love Blues but hate Jazz
I love Rock but hate Pop Rock
I love Oldies but hate Big Band
I love Disco but hate Techo
I love R&B but hate Rap.:bouncy: :bouncy:
when you paint in really broad strokes you can miss out on some of the finer details.jazz comes almost directly from the blues and most players who attempt to play it know the value of studying the blues.sometimes even a barry manilow,who should be at the top of the list in this thread,surrounds himself with first call session players,so sometimes real music slips through.sometimes i listen to a really bad record just to catch a tasty bass line or sax solo.try finding out who the players you like on an album are and look for them on other projects.it can lead to great places.

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 07:24 AM
He ain't an artist....but anytime HOWARD STERN is on anything, it gets turned OFF.res ipsa loquitor

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Johnny Winter

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 11:42 AM
cant say that i care for too much of johnny winter on album but live he kicks ass and takes names.i still rank astral weeks as a fave and as for the balance of the belfast cowpoke's catalog some i like and some i just cant get into.after just dropped in to see what condition my conditon was in i really cannot take kenny rogers,not even the chicken

JBLRaiser
02-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Bay City Rollers
Kiss
Twisted Sister
Marilyn Manson
Tiny Tim
Air Supply
Bread
Gino Vannelli
Ricky Martin
Leif Garrett
Andy Gibb(r.i.p.)
Jon Bon Jovi
David Lee Roth
Cat Stevens:barf:

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Bay City Rollers
Kiss
Twisted Sister
Marilyn Manson
Tiny Tim
Air Supply
Bread
Gino Vannelli
Ricky Martin
Leif Garrett
Andy Gibb(r.i.p.)
Jon Bon Jovi
David Lee Roth
well i'll trade cat stevens for cheap trick and you gotta deal

kingjames
02-21-2007, 02:43 PM
when you paint in really broad strokes you can miss out on some of the finer details.jazz comes almost directly from the blues and most players who attempt to play it know the value of studying the blues.sometimes even a barry manilow,who should be at the top of the list in this thread,surrounds himself with first call session players,so sometimes real music slips through.sometimes i listen to a really bad record just to catch a tasty bass line or sax solo.try finding out who the players you like on an album are and look for them on other projects.it can lead to great places.

I couldn't agree with you more, Jim. I have done this on occasion with great success.

I know Jazz and Blues are somewhat alike but for some reason I just can't get used to Jazz.

When I say I hate some type of music I am just generalizing, there are a few songs that I like from every category that I said I hated.:)

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Bay City Rollers
Kiss
Twisted Sister
Marilyn Manson
Tiny Tim
Air Supply
Bread
Gino Vannelli
Ricky Martin
Leif Garrett
Andy Gibb(r.i.p.)
Jon Bon Jovi
David Lee Roth

I'll trade ALL the American Idol Winners for Cat Stevens...

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 07:26 PM
i'll probably get some argument here but i never could get into stevie wonder after inner visions, the who after who,s next,the stones after exile on main st,and has anyone even mentioned michael...shudder......jackson

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2007, 07:49 PM
i'll probably get some argument here but i never could get into stevie wonder after inner visions, the who after who,s next,the stones after exile on main st,and has anyone even mentioned michael...shudder......jackson

thought the stones last good album was "Tatoo You". Michael who ? Elton John after "Tumbleweed Connection", lost me. Even the Zepp's last couple were not up to par....:blink:

oznob
02-21-2007, 07:52 PM
The J. Geils Band
Nugent
KISS
The Chambers Brothers, (only because they were a bunch of jerks!)
Rush, although Neil Peart is one hell of a drummer!
Taylor Hicks
Aerosmith, they were better when they were using drugs!

SEAWOLF97
02-21-2007, 07:57 PM
The Chambers Brothers, (only because they were a bunch of jerks!)

I thot they were great. Saw them live with the Doors and they were a much better show.

Soulfull...... "Love , Peace and Happiness"

oznob
02-21-2007, 08:01 PM
I thot they were great. Saw them live with the Doors and they were a much better show.

Soulfull...... "Love , Peace and Happiness"

You obviously never met them in person! I'm not saying I don't like their music just that they were JERKS!

jim campbell
02-21-2007, 09:22 PM
thought the stones last good album was "Tatoo You". Michael who ? Elton John after "Tumbleweed Connection", lost me. Even the Zepp's last couple were not up to par....:blink:the stones just went in directions i dont care for and later on they just lost it all together.growing up guys where i lived could relate to the stones ,animals,barbarians,etc,where the beatles were just too damn cute.but we came back after revolver sgt pepper etc.i still like the title track from madman across the water and funeral for a friend but elton lost me after that.led zep up to physical grafitti,and mccartney fell off the radar pretty quick w/o lennon.

Robh3606
02-21-2007, 10:41 PM
mccartney fell off the radar pretty quick w/o lennon.

Yeah too many silly love songs for me. I liked RAM and Band on the Run and then???? I couldn't stand Kiss but I like Rush and Styx so go figure?? Funny how personal music is and how some of what you like and dislike doesn't really make sense. Lot's of contradictions.

oznob
02-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah too many silly love songs for me. I liked RAM and Band on the Run and then???? I couldn't stand Kiss but I like Rush and Styx so go figure?? Funny how personal music is and how some of what you like and dislike doesn't really make sense. Lot's of contradictions.

I saw Sir Paul at Arco Arena in Sacramento at the end of 05 and it was one of the best shows I have ever experienced, bar none! At 63 he actually pulled off The Magical Mystery Tour and Helter Skelter, AWESOME! That said, his more recent studio stuff is not my cup of tea.

SEAWOLF97
02-22-2007, 05:48 AM
Phil Collins - Genisis
Humble Pie
James Gang
Motley Crue
Nightranger
Rod Steward
Van Halen

JBLRaiser
02-22-2007, 06:13 AM
Milli Vanilli
Ashley Simpson
Mr. Ed( The best of the bunch)

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 07:14 AM
Phil Collins - Genisis
Humble Pie
James Gang
Motley Crue
Nightranger
Rod Steward
Van Halen
saw humble pie live and despite the poor sound quality was a great show.genesis live,(the album) i liked but after gabriel's departure noooooooo.......phil collins on his own is fm fodder,but rod the mod,check out truth...jeff beck and maybe gasoline alley and every picture.........after that no go.van halen's first record was what i used to use to blast guests to the back wall,but they lost me after that.live in 80 they were great tho..........

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 07:15 AM
Milli Vanilli
Ashley Simpson
Mr. Ed( The best of the bunch)
at least mr ed actually meant to be funny

JBLRaiser
02-22-2007, 07:36 AM
at least mr ed actually meant to be funny

Can't say that about the other two.:p

SEAWOLF97
02-22-2007, 09:43 AM
most anything rap or modern country. But I do enjoy Johnny Cash...:applaud:

jim campbell
02-22-2007, 10:13 AM
most anything rap or modern country. But I do enjoy Johnny Cash...:applaud:
there is a lot of great country out there but the focus seems to be on the fm country radio factory stuff.just for starters check out townes,hank sr,merle,well both merles,lovett,emmylou,willies old stuff,waylon. then make an appointment with my secretary for a follow up visit.i love the way the old country stuff leads to blues and gospel.the simplicity of some of the songs seems to bring out all of the richness in the voices and the subtleties of steel guitars etc.i recently watched cash at san quentin and when he does peace in the valley it is a real moment.i think that it was The Band that really kicked open the door for me and led to a ton of great stuff

SEAWOLF97
02-23-2007, 02:35 PM
there is a lot of great country out there but the focus seems to be on the fm country radio factory stuff.just for starters check out townes,hank sr,merle,well both merles,lovett,emmylou,willies old stuff,waylon. then make an appointment with my secretary for a follow up visit.i love the way the old country stuff leads to blues and gospel.the simplicity of some of the songs seems to bring out all of the richness in the voices and the subtleties of steel guitars etc.i recently watched cash at san quentin and when he does peace in the valley it is a real moment.i think that it was The Band that really kicked open the door for me and led to a ton of great stuff

totally agree , Jim. when I surf past the modern country, it sounds like it all was computer generated. And wow, if you want to call Neil Young whiney, listen to modern country, nearly as bad as gangsta rap and hip hop. :(

SEAWOLF97
02-23-2007, 05:09 PM
I really , really enjoy Steeley Dan. BUT I just listened to "two against nature". Couldnt even make it thru the whole CD...... Shlock !!!! :( :( :(

jim campbell
02-23-2007, 05:17 PM
I really , really enjoy Steeley Dan. BUT I just listened to "two against nature". Couldnt even make it thru the whole CD...... Shlock !!!! :( :( :( i remember the anticipation when gaucho came out and the disappointment of playing it.production values seemed to be the focus.but on the bright side the back catalog is still out there.

loach71
02-23-2007, 05:38 PM
I despise ANYTHING to do with (c)rap music -- just gangster wannabes who should be incarcerated for life.:barf:

Storm
02-24-2007, 02:14 AM
I despise ANYTHING to do with (c)rap music -- just gangster wannabes who should be incarcerated for life.:barf:

Wow, if that is not wrapping everything into a box and putting a label on it.

Just like all gays dress and act like women. Come on, get out of the 1950s and dive into reality.

-Storm.

SUPERBEE
02-24-2007, 03:37 AM
Can we add Led Zep, The Grateful Dead, and later Pink Floyd here. Also ANYTHING by the F*cking Doors

BTW: Thin Lizzy did do the Cowboy Song which Material Issue later covered and it is a cool song.

we've got threads for FAVs...why not a thread for those that you cant stand ? The ones that you get up and change the station , rather than listen to them ?

I'll start.

Bruce Springsteen
Rush
Yes
Thin Lizzy
Captain Beyond
Frank Zappa
Genisis/Phil Collins
Dixi-land - anything

kingjames
02-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Can we add Led Zep, The Grateful Dead, and later Pink Floyd here.

That's not the Led Zeppelin that I know ,is it?;)

SEAWOLF97
02-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Can we add Led Zep, The Grateful Dead, and later Pink Floyd here. Also ANYTHING by the F*cking Doors

WOW , you must be a Lawrence Welk fan. ??

jim campbell
02-25-2007, 02:55 PM
the bee has 8000 albums and if what he disqualifies is any indication there must be some interesting stuff in there.i wonder if he's seen this..........
For Hire,cranky,unpredictable, music tester,mid fifties and a foreigner to boot.has own gear and will travel.will work for beer

SEAWOLF97
02-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Little Feat - accidently won tickets to their show at the Crystal Ballroom. walked out after about half the show. Shudda sold them to the scalper out front.

hjames
02-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Little Feat - accidently won tickets to their show at the Crystal Ballroom. walked out after about half the show. Shudda sold them to the scalper out front.

Yeah, I've seen them 3 times over the years - in '71 when they were a hot new band (them and Bonnie Rait were the warm up acts for Paul Butterfield's Better Days). Once about a year later (touring for the Dixie Chicken album I think) still good, but their direction was changing, and once a few years later after Lowell George was dead - waste of time - never again. I've heard some bootlegs and albums since then - but not interested.

johnaec
02-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Little FeatYou ought to give some of their earlier albums a listen - the ones that still had Lowell George, (though the first one or two were a little rough...). That's some of my favorite music! I even selectively like some of their later stuff, though concert-wise, the originals were far better than their current examples...

John

SEAWOLF97
02-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Batdorf & Stanley - like a lounge lizzard cover of elevator music. yuk

U.K.

XM is either great OR sucks - depending on DJ :blink:

SEAWOLF97
02-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Elton John is generally OKAY, but LIVE doing "Burn down the Mission / Get Back" was really hideous. A waste of recording medium.

JBLRaiser
02-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Elton John is generally OKAY, but LIVE doing "Burn down the Mission / Get Back" was really hideous. A waste of recording medium.

an entertainer, I ceased to be entertained.

kpippen
02-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Leon Russell

I went to a concert of his around 1976... I was pretty screwed-up at the time but this dude wasn't even there!... It was absolutely the worst show I could have ever imagined...

hjames
02-28-2007, 06:06 PM
in 1973 we went and saw The Rolling Stones at RFK stadium in DC. Long hot 4th of July day, amazing warmup acts - the best of which was
Stevie Wonder doing unbelievable synthy stuff with what these days I'd call a "Frampton box" (like "Frampton comes alive" but 2 or 3 years earlier ...)

The show was taking forever - running hours and hours behind
The Stones come on - dead drunk or wasted or something ... can barely play, Tumbling Dice - they're out of tune and falling down stupid. Played maybe 40 minutes and stumbled away ... Worst show I have ever seen (even worse than an incoherent tour of Johnny Winter, Leslie West etc in Baltimore a few years later).

I may have some classic stones on CD - but - I will never pay to see them again.

SEAWOLF97
02-28-2007, 06:20 PM
The Stones come on - dead drunk or wasted or something ... can barely play, Tumbling Dice - they're out of tune and falling down stupid. Played maybe 40 minutes and stumbled away ... Worst show I have ever seen

when they were in Portland, the reports said that KR was so far out of it, that MJ unplugged his amp , to keep him from polluting what was playing.

Have you seen the movie "Sympathy for the Devil" ??

jim campbell
02-28-2007, 06:29 PM
though i hate to say it lenny breau was so out of it last time he played here that one third of the audience walked out.on top of that some woman brought a screaming infant into the theater and stayed despite the bawling.sad because he was such a great talent

Tom Brennan
03-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Jefferson Airplane was possibly the worst band I ever saw; both times I saw them they were wretched and any well practiced garage band would have smoked them. In fact at one show they were smoked by Blue Cheer who were actually a pretty good band.

I saw Led Zeppelin on their first American tour, they were backing Vanilla Fudge and Jethro Tull was also on the bill. The Fudge were very good, Tull brought down the house and Zep was unremarkable, just there, capable but boring. Soft Machine was another terrible band I saw, they were opening for the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

I saw Patty Smith and her band play well and play VERY poorly, at one show she was blown out of the water by an Ohio metal outfit called The Godz, they crushed her. Wierd show; South Side working class metalheads clashing with North Side middle-class punkers, the metalheads won the fights naturally, probably picked them too.

loach71
03-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Wow, if that is not wrapping everything into a box and putting a label on it.

Just like all gays dress and act like women. Come on, get out of the 1950s and dive into reality.

-Storm.

The only good rapper is an imprisoned rapper.
Good riddance to all of them.
May the 50s go on forever.

spwal
03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
good classic rock discussion going on here. much love, much love.

i think moe is the second coming of the great ones. they are phenomenal and need to be seen by any of you who want to see the direction that psychedellic rock has progressed. they are earning their ticket into the history books one show and one fan at a time. as a long time fan, i think they have earned stardom, though i am reluctant to share them with the growing crowd.

the soundbites from the new album dont do the band justice. they are and always have been a live experience. they are at the height of their power, if you go to a show you will be in dropjawed amazement. 10 years ago was the first show i saw, and i havnet missed a local one yet :)

www.moe.org (http://www.moe.org)

SEAWOLF97
03-01-2007, 08:45 PM
May the 50s go on forever.

you get a second on that from Orygun...except sub in the last half of the 60s

loach71
03-01-2007, 09:00 PM
you get a second on that from Orygun...except sub in the last half of the 60s

wilco.

If you listen to rap "lyrics" the only message evident is crime and the abuse of women...

mbask
03-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Don't dislike much music, but, lots of music I won't listen to. Have to admit to one -arNtist- I have disdian for: kenny (barf) G. I can't stand that phony....only because I'm forced by circumstance sometimes to listen to the shit he.. ..eh.. records.(i won't even use the word "plays")

Kenny G coming from ceiling mounts = :barf: right on Longs Drugs floor.

SEAWOLF97
03-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Have to admit to one -arNtist- I have disdian for: kenny (barf) G. I can't stand that phonyKenny G coming from ceiling mounts = :barf: right on Longs Drugs floor.

you seem to have a lot of company on that selection.

I really like Dylan. BUT his live concerts (never seen one actually live) seem to suck also. Seems flat and in a hurry to get "outta there" :blink:

Zilch
03-02-2007, 11:32 AM
I really like Dylan. BUT his live concerts (never seen one actually live) seem to suck also. Seems flat and in a hurry to get "outta there" :blink:He's still on a "Mission."

jim campbell
03-03-2007, 12:16 PM
wilco.

If you listen to rap "lyrics" the only message evident is crime and the abuse of women...

its a great way to make a buck without actually having to learn how to play an instrument or sing.put on those silly outfits,strut up and down the stage making those idiotic hand signs and tell me again about how being a pimp is a good thing.you were right the first time when you spelled it (c)rap lyrics

Tom Brennan
03-03-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't like Rap or Hip Hop or whatever but I remember when the kind of music I like was called stupid, the Devil's music (maybe it is), not real music and so on.

Mind that whatever type of music you like there are people who loathe it.

hjames
03-03-2007, 01:53 PM
its a great way to make a buck without actually having to learn how to play an instrument or sing.put on those silly outfits,strut up and down the stage making those idiotic hand signs and tell me again about how being a pimp is a good thing.you were right the first time when you spelled it (c)rap lyrics

Aww - you're just jealous cause big time music isn't made by brits singing like fey jamaicans saying "oy, oy, oy" or "e-yo-ho" (The Police) ..

But I hear those old guys are coming back again!

Just kidding, I am not a fan of Rap - but I'll be honest, I was sitting in the CRV at the bank today while Emma ran in and got the money and James Brown, Livin' In America came on. I did kick on the subwoofer and crank it up - just like all the kids are doin' these days ... I mean, it was boom boom boom, and - Could god y'all! - It was JAMES BROWN!

JBLRaiser
03-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Aww - you're just jealous cause big time music isn't made by brits singing like fey jamaicans saying "oy, oy, oy" or "e-yo-ho" (The Police) ..

But I hear those old guys are coming back again!

Just kidding, I am not a fan of Rap - but I'll be honest, I was sitting in the CRV at the bank today while Emma ran in and got the money and James Brown, Livin' In America came on. I did kick on the subwoofer and crank it up - just like all the kids are doin' these days ... I mean, it was boom boom boom, and - Could god y'all! - It was JAMES BROWN!

the more I like your style.:cheers:

P.S. Even though we don't see eye to eye.:argue:

jim campbell
03-03-2007, 05:32 PM
heather i think you just proved my point.james brown,known worldwide as the hardest working man in show biz,knew how to do it by working constantly to polish his stuff.he also surrounded himself with top notch players and worked them hard.i find it hard to imagine most of the rappers out there worthy of the fame and fortune that james brown EARNED.i know that you have your tongue firmly planted in your cheek,and i read your posts with that in mind.............

kpippen
03-05-2007, 10:13 AM
A little off topic:

I saw a group named Goose Creek Symphony that opened for Steven Stills in Lexington Kentucky around 1979... This group was unbelievable! They put on one of the best shows I have ever seen... One guy was jamming down on an electric fiddle while he was riding a 10 to 12 foot high unicycle in circles around the speaker cabs...:applaud:

SEAWOLF97
03-05-2007, 10:34 AM
james brown,known worldwide as the hardest working man in show biz,knew how to do it by working constantly to polish his stuff.

died Xmas day , still not buried.

SEAWOLF97
03-05-2007, 11:25 AM
cant stand Frank Marino - he's like Kenny G on a guitar.

Tom Brennan
03-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Frank Marino? Is he the guy from Mahogany Rush? I saw that band blow Blackmore's Rainbow out of the water.

hjames
03-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Frank Marino? Is he the guy from Mahogany Rush? I saw that band blow Blackmore's Rainbow out of the water.
They were the warmup act for - either Hot Tuna or Roxy Music (yeah, one of THOSE kind of nights) at Lisner Auditorium. A nice, small acousticly happy space in DC enjoyed (Enjoyed Weather Report, Blind Boys, many acts there in much better fidelity).

Anyway, MahawgRush were so freakin' loud I had to leave the auditorium proper and wait in the lobby for their set to end. I knew I'd be half deaf for the main act if I stayed in there! Even the lobby was absurd loud. Not impressed at all.

Or - did you mean the OTHER Frank Marino that plays Vegas. (http://www.lasvegas-nv.com/la-cage.htm)

SEAWOLF97
03-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Frank Marino? Is he the guy from Mahogany Rush?

I think so. Could not get to the remote fast enough. Cant stand MahogRush either. 'bout as bad as Thin Lizzy.

Tom Brennan
03-07-2007, 08:40 AM
I love Thin Lizzy, saw them several times.

I'll never forget, I was a bouncer for Jam Productions and at a Thin Lizzy--AC-DC show at Comiskey Park I gave a big Joe College jock an uppercut that lifted him right off his feet and landed him on his back. I couldn't believe it, he was the first person I'd labled in several years. I felt like Victor MacGlaglen.

jblnut
03-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Hey here's an idea - instead of slamming some of Rock's legends (can't say I agree with a lot of the dislikes here), you guys should try to dislike artists who totally lack talent, taste or both. I mean, let's highlight some of people who are truly worthy of running to the stereo to turn it off.

In that vein, these are some of the "artists" who'll get me off the couch as if it was on fire:

Laurie Anderson - wtf ? is that singing or some kind of Tibetan sheep mating call ?

Yoko Ono - she's also pretty good at making sounds not normally associated with humans

Philip Glass Ensemble - from allmusic.com - "others hear it as numbingly repetitive and devoid of variety in its simplicity". It makes me want to wretch like a cat with a hairball...

John Tesh - Isn't one Yanni enough ?

I'll be damned if I'm going to see artists like Steely Dan, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or Frank Marino bashed when there are so many more TRULY deserving "artists" out there.

Get real guys - and get some taste....

jblnut

hjames
03-07-2007, 10:25 AM
C'mon - some folks might slam Captain Beefheart or Tom Waits - their vocal styling are definitely an acquired taste.

Floppy boots stomped Down!

I like Van Morrison, and own almost all of his stuff but some of his 90's output has some real - um, vocalizing, that was a tough listen if it wasn't so darned funny

I agree that Nyro and Oh-No! are pretty - um, quirky ... and def not in MY music collection!

But there is a lot of stuff that is popular that I'll never own - its not snobbery, I just flat don't like it.

Hey here's an idea - instead of slamming some of Rock's legends (can't say I agree with a lot of the dislikes here), you guys should try to dislike artists who totally lack talent, taste or both. I mean, let's highlight some of people who are truly worthy of running to the stereo to turn it off.

Get real guys - and get some taste....

jblnut

SEAWOLF97
03-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Hey here's an idea - instead of slamming some of Rock's legends (can't say I agree with a lot of the dislikes here), you guys should try to dislike artists who totally lack talent, taste or both. I mean, let's highlight some of people who are truly worthy of running to the stereo to turn it off. jblnut

YES , Mariah Carey , Kenny G , John Tesh , Michael Bolton , darned near any thing from the late 70's, ac/dc , arrowsmith was OK for a while , did I mention YES ? , Todd Rundgren , Van halen , Emimem , Celene Dion , YES , Black Sabbath , Bon Jovi , Def Leopard , Dr. Dre , Frank Zappa , Iron Maiden , Judas priest , YES , KISS, Madonna , Metallica , Motley Cru , Rod Stewart , Tool , Van Morrison (xcept with Them) , yanni and YES.

any more questions ?

jblnut
03-07-2007, 10:52 AM
YES , Mariah Carey , Kenny G , John Tesh , Michael Bolton , darned near any thing from the late 70's, ac/dc , arrowsmith was OK for a while , did I mention YES ? , Todd Rundgren , Van halen , Emimem , Celene Dion , YES , Black Sabbath , Bon Jovi , Def Leopard , Dr. Dre , Frank Zappa , Iron Maiden , Judas priest , YES , KISS, Madonna , Metallica , Motley Cru , Rod Stewart , Tool , Van Morrison (xcept with Them) , yanni and YES.

any more questions ?

Yeah - what are you doing here? Your avatar is an Ohm F and your musical tastes are...somewhat suspect.

jblnut

jim campbell
03-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Yeah - what are you doing here? Your avatar is an Ohm F and your musical tastes are...somewhat suspect.

jblnut
so what.........i think its been established that ownership of jb's is not mandatory to be a member here and though my taste does not always parallel the wolfs i respect his opinion.are you sure you have the temprament and restraint that is required of the moderators?

SEAWOLF97
03-07-2007, 11:14 AM
You are welcome to disagree, but let's keep it civil.

are you sure you have the temprament and restraint that is required of the moderators?

well , I see where the nut part came from. Yeah, jblNUT, only 6 pairs of JBLs doesnt qualify me. I shud get an avatar of dogs or kids or a cat with a machine gun or something more to your liking ?

THERE YOU GO , JBLNUT..NEW AVATAR ..YOU FUGGIN HAPPY , NOW ??

mbask
03-07-2007, 12:20 PM

any more questions ?

ehh..ehh...ehh..Erorr
not possible to dislike Kenny G and Frank Zappa simultaneously..
that would be like saying you dislike Lo Fi and Hi Fi..... in the given context ..preposterously unlikely.:p

jblnut
03-07-2007, 01:07 PM
well , I see where the nut part came from. Yeah, jblNUT, only 6 pairs of JBLs doesnt qualify me. I shud get an avatar of dogs or kids or a cat with a machine gun or something more to your liking ?

THERE YOU GO , JBLNUT....YOU FUGGIN HAPPY , NOW ??

I would suggest you heed your own advice and keep this civil, rather than shouting and bringing up machine guns. What exactly did you expect would result from a thread asking for people's dislikes (or hatreds) ? A warm fuzzy group hug ?

You want to blather on and on about disliking some of the greatest musicians and bands that have graced the stages of the world - you had better be prepared to face those who disagree with you. You should also step outside and get some fresh air. Personal attacks on anyone (moderator or no) are not tolerated and can lead to being banned from the forum. I'm not saying you can or will be banned for this. I'm just saying get some air and lighten up.

jblnut

SEAWOLF97
03-07-2007, 01:15 PM
are you sure you have the temprament and restraint that is required of the moderators?

What exactly did you expect would result from a thread asking for people's dislikes (or hatreds) ? A warm fuzzy group hug ?

I'm just saying get some air and lighten up.

jblnut

suggest www.remedialreading.gov (http://www.remedialreading.gov)

Tom Brennan
03-07-2007, 01:20 PM
I think Led Zeppelin was pretty lousy, especially live. Pink Floyd is soporific and I lost all interest in them after I stopped smoking pot. Frank Zappa was a boring noodler and conceited smartass whose appeal was evidently to make his fans feel superior.

The only Steeley Dan I listen to is the Aja record and only because it's so "hi-fi"; I listen to the sound more than the music, which is snide and smarmy.

jim campbell
03-07-2007, 01:39 PM
I think Led Zeppelin was pretty lousy, especially live. Pink Floyd is soporific and I lost all interest in them after I stopped smoking pot. Frank Zappa was a boring noodler and conceited smartass whose appeal was evidently to make his fans feel superior.

The only Steeley Dan I listen to is the Aja record and only because it's so "hi-fi"; I listen to the sound more than the music, which is snide and smarmy.i have to say that i agree with most of that but as one of your fellow kentuckians used to say "even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then" ..........hot rats.........dark side of the moon........how the west was won.........royal scam...............i think that a lot of the avant garde jazz guys were/are full of it too and every bit as smug as zappa.

jim campbell
03-07-2007, 01:46 PM
I would suggest you heed your own advice and keep this civil, rather than shouting and bringing up machine guns. What exactly did you expect would result from a thread asking for people's dislikes (or hatreds) ? A warm fuzzy group hug ?

You want to blather on and on about disliking some of the greatest musicians and bands that have graced the stages of the world - you had better be prepared to face those who disagree with you. You should also step outside and get some fresh air. Personal attacks on anyone (moderator or no) are not tolerated and can lead to being banned from the forum. I'm not saying you can or will be banned for this. I'm just saying get some air and lighten u

jblnutit was civil until you decided for all of us who we can and cannot dislike

hjames
03-07-2007, 02:09 PM
What is this "Do you really belong here - How many JBLs do you own?" tripe?

Thats just power trippin'!

Good moderators generally don't take a public stand on heated issues - its an abuse of power. When folks flame out, then bring on the moderator hat and tell them to be civil, but a Moderator preaching to folks what music they should or shouldn't like is fascism. Let the users do that.

Go to some sites that are far larger than this for examples if you need them.

You want to blather on and on about disliking some of the greatest musicians and bands that have graced the stages of the world - you had better be prepared to face those who disagree with you. You should also step outside and get some fresh air. Personal attacks on anyone (moderator or no) are not tolerated and can lead to being banned from the forum. I'm not saying you can or will be banned for this. I'm just saying get some air and lighten up.

jblnut

jblnut
03-07-2007, 02:46 PM
What is this "Do you really belong here - How many JBLs do you own?" tripe?

Thats just power trippin'!

Good moderators generally don't take a public stand on heated issues - its an abuse of power. When folks flame out, then bring on the moderator hat and tell them to be civil, but a Moderator preaching to folks what music they should or shouldn't like is fascism. Let the users do that.

Go to some sites that are far larger than this for examples if you need them.

If you're going to actually put quotes around something and attribute it to me, do you think you could do me the courtesy of actually using the text that *I* wrote ? At no point did I make this a contest of "how many JBL's do you own". I merely questioned his choice of avatar as well as his musical taste. If he can't take the criticism of his musical taste (oddly enough contained within a thread started by him to criticize "artists/groups you can't stand), then perhaps he ought not to have started this.

Only when *he* started shouting :biting: did I put on the moderator hat and ask that he cool down. We live in a differnt world than we used to and when people bring up "machine guns" in public forums and start shouting, that sets off warning bells.

I'm done with this thread. Nothing good is going to come out of any thread centered around dislikes.
It's only a matter of time before some other forum members square off based on differing musical tastes.

:banghead:

jblnut

hjames
03-07-2007, 02:51 PM
My apologies - I didn't mean to misconstrue your specific comments -
I did the quotes on the fly and after 1 edit I had created something that didn't exist before.

"Waddya mean, how many JBLs" was pretty much Seawolf's response to your post
"Yeah - what are you doing here? Your avatar is an Ohm F and your musical tastes are...somewhat suspect."
It seemed a pretty logical construct of what you seemingly implied.
Very sorry we misunderstood.

That said - what that cocaine thing all about - kinda edgy don't ya think?

Besides - I thought the whole point of the thread was that one person's likes are another persons dislikes....

Or to put it another way ... "One man's Meatloaf is another man's Poison" -
(although admitted a bit less chauvenistic said, I would hope ...)

If you're going to actually put quotes around something and attribute it to me, do you think you could do me the courtesy of actually using the text that *I* wrote ? At no point did I make this a contest of "how many JBL's do you own". I merely questioned his choice of avatar as well as his musical taste. If he can't take the criticism of his musical taste (oddly enough contained within a thread started by him to criticize "artists/groups you can't stand), then perhaps he ought not to have started this.

Only when *he* started shouting :biting: did I put on the moderator hat and ask that he cool down. We live in a differnt world than we used to and when people bring up "machine guns" in public forums and start shouting, that sets off warning bells.

I'm done with this thread. Nothing good is going to come out of any thread centered around dislikes.
It's only a matter of time before some other forum members square off based on differing musical tastes.

:banghead:

jblnut

SEAWOLF97
03-07-2007, 03:07 PM
I shud get an avatar of dogs or kids or a cat with a machine gun or something more to your liking ?

If you were to actually read what I said , JBLN, there is an avatar of a cat with a machine gun. or havnt you noticed ? I guess we shud submit all avatars to you for approval ? :bouncy:

it was civil until you decided for all of us who we can and cannot dislike

absolutley , 102 civil posts till you got here, JBLN

Good moderators generally don't take a public stand on heated issues - its an abuse of power.

nor do they try to chase away members.

I merely questioned his choice of avatar as well as his musical taste. when people bring up "machine guns" in public forums and start shouting, that sets off warning bells.jblnut

see pic ? (for first time ?) sorry, Loach71, wasnt picking on you, just an example for the avatar police. (JBLN)

jim campbell
03-07-2007, 03:20 PM
you cant see it but my dog is packing a 9 mil

Zilch
03-07-2007, 03:24 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102561&postcount=20

SEAWOLF97
03-07-2007, 03:43 PM
We live in a differnt world than we used to and when people bring up "machine guns" in public forums and start shouting, that sets off warning bells.
jblnut

refering to an avatar "set off alarm bells" ?

"quick , call homeland security, someone referred to anothers avatar" :rotfl:

Oh well , hit and run.,,,eh ? JBLN ?

About Led Zeppelin.....some tunes are incredible, others...I go turn off. guess it depends on the album ? Is there any 1 group/artist that you like EVERYTHING they did ?

SEAWOLF97
03-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Status Quo

- just ran over and switched them off, ...getting more selective as more good stuff is available.

LRBacon
03-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Oh man, that conjurs up visions of William Shattners album , and Leonard Nimmoys too :banghead:

I have Leonard's on CD. Bought the album new in '67.
It's so, so. Never bought any of Shatner's. I never cared for his singing.
A song that I can't stand is "American Pie" by Don McLean. I heard it way too often back in '72 and '73. I don't really care for the Rollin' Stones. I do have some of their earlier stuff.

SEAWOLF97
03-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Never bought any of Shatner's.

shatner's "lucy in the sky with diamonds" is a dead-on classic. Think of ANS on that awards show where she was stoned, asking "do you like my body ??"

shartner's "mr. tamborine man" is a close second.

here is a site on the web streaming "Lucy" . DONT MISS IT.

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2670057

IT IS SO FUNNY , ALMOST FELL OF MY CONSOLE COMMANDER CHAIR

jim campbell
03-09-2007, 04:41 PM
im too lazy to go back over the posts but i gotta mention some of the hollywierd vanity projects of the eddie murphy-don johnson variety.jeez just how big does your ego have to be

jim campbell
03-14-2007, 05:55 PM
I have disdian for: kenny (barf) Gyou can avoid the elevator and take the stairs

SEAWOLF97
03-29-2007, 07:00 PM
some group called "Cactus" came on XM. So bad that I ran over to switch to ANY OTHER channel.

Krunchy
02-21-2008, 07:58 AM
I thought this list could go on and on, I never thought it would end :D especially with all these new "artists" making the scene.

may have already been stated but its wort repeating Jethro Tull (flute has no place in Rock & Roll):D....also Oasis

BTW Jim Campbell, where art thou!?

richluvsound
02-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Hey Krunchy,

I thought you'd done a Jim ! He aint been here for yonks. All HIP HOP . in da bin.:applaud:

Rich:

opimax
02-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Have you read this whole thread? :D I am a Tull fan but not doing anything but smiling and laughing. Need thick skin in this thread :biting::biting::biting:

Mark

SEAWOLF97
02-22-2008, 08:57 AM
I like XM radio a lot, XCEPT there is a DJ ( Dan Neer ) who seems to have tapped in to my
"never ever playlist " ...He plays the worst crap , tunes that I wuldn't play if you paid me to.

YES , Cactus , Captain Beyond , YES , Ambrosia , Rush , YES , bad Springsteen & Van Morrison ,YES, Mountain and, did I mention YES ???

when that crap comes on, or just Dan , I run to the remote and switch to the 60's channel , which is much safer (unless James Brown is on :( )

Krunchy
02-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Have you read this whole thread? :D I am a Tull fan but not doing anything but smiling and laughing. Need thick skin in this thread :biting::biting::biting:

Mark

no did not read whole thread till you brought it up, have done so, seemed like it went down hill a bit toward the end there. Seemed harmless enought at the begining.

As far a tull, as long as you dig Tull who cares what others think, I personally dont dig flute in rock song, oh well :) :D

Close the tread?

opimax
02-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Krunchy,

its the internet, can't believe how offended people can get on it.

BTW YES is 1 of my favorites and I enjoy Van M quite a bit too but have a LARGE distaste for Springsteen(and many of the other famous gruff/nasal voices) SO I can only talk to Sea wolf about 1/3 of the time, lol.

BTW Spock did an album too, just as good as Shatner's

Any secret Archies fans here for example (no not a fan)

Mark

SEAWOLF97
02-24-2008, 08:44 AM
BTW YES is 1 of my favorites and I enjoy Van M quite a bit too but have a LARGE distaste for Springsteen(and many of the other famous gruff/nasal voices) SO I can only talk to Sea wolf about 1/3 of the time, lol.Mark

I like jethro too, so that makes 2 out of 4........50 percent...keep going, maybe we can get even better. :D ....(thats a better percent than me and the OL)

Your big test , Mark .... CCR/Santana ??

hjames
02-24-2008, 09:31 AM

Ahhh - thats a trick question ...
WHICH Santana band do you mean - there are so many!
Santana? Abraxas? Caravansarai? Lotus or Moonflower? Supernatural? or ...?

richluvsound
02-24-2008, 10:24 AM
I like jethro too, so that makes 2 out of 4........50 percent...keep going, maybe we can get even better. :D

Krunchy,

you stink. I hope there is a short in the xover :applaud:. If I was there I'd challenge you to a :duel: Hand bags at 50 dawn. I love Jethro Tull . I went to see him at the Edmonton coliseum when I was 17 . "Aqualung":applaud:

Just kidding about the short.;)

Rich

4313B
02-24-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm Not There (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368794) is the only Cate Blanchett movie I'll never see.

CCR is another one that ranks right up there with Mr. Bob. :barf:

I think Tull and Rush are fine. Tull, Rush and the Police sounded killer on my old 4343B's.

Didn't need Mr. Young around at all until I watched his Heart of Gold (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473692) DVD.

Good riddance to all of them.Yeah... that stuff really is the pits... it says alot about where our society is today. It's too bad.

Ahhh - thats a trick question ...
WHICH Santana band do you mean - there are so many!
Santana? Abraxas? Caravansarai? Lotus or Moonflower? Supernatural? or ...?I haven't bought anything of his since Abraxas. :p

SEAWOLF97
02-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I haven't bought anything of his since Abraxas. :p

The first 3 albums ...through Santana 3 were fantastic. Santana is kind of the Marantz of musical groups. Who knows who they are today, personnel changes a lot except Carlos.

Gee Tim, I thot we agreed on much , but you seem to like rapperz MUCH more than I do.

Krunchy
02-25-2008, 09:37 AM
opimax, not really too familiar with yes so cant comment beyond whats played on mainstream radio (which always plays the lamest songs from any artist) but I remember this song that I heard in the indie film bufffalo 66 "Heart Of The Sunrise" and the bass is just incredible, they could have turned that into a whole jam 15+mins.
I'd heard that the only real working phaser/taser (whatever they called them on star trek, not a trekkie) was used to keep William Shatner from making another record :rotfl:

Rich! I am sorry! but must stick to my original post, me personally no dig flute in rock, cow bell, well, thats another story, even Christopher Walken cant get enough of them and if you were here Id have to decline your gracious challenge, unless you could make it in the afternoon, I hate doing anything at dawn :D

Its interesting to see what some people really do not like, I can understand bob dylan (his voice is something else alright, but his lirycs are fantastic IMO). CCR, could never imagine that someone wouldnt like them, but music is such a personal thing. I think I read a few posts back Mr.Seawolf mentioning gaucho and two against nature, I, like everyone dig aja but can no longer listen to it, OD'd. gaucho took a while to really get into it propper now I love it, just wish Mark Knopfler would have been featured on more of it, "my rival" is so funky. two against nature takes a little getting used to but sounds great and do like it a lot. Calssic Steely dan is more like Royal scam, coundown to ecstasy (Rick Driinger playing slide on showbiz kids, tsssss, hot!) and Katy lied. Saw Donald Fagen coming out of Grays papaya on w72nd (the man can appreciate a good hot dog) a few years back and shook his hand and told him something like get on with it, probably tought I was nuts, didnt say much cept thank you! :D

SEAWOLF97
02-25-2008, 01:33 PM
I think I read a few posts back Mr.Seawolf mentioning gaucho and two against nature, I, like everyone dig aja but can no longer listen to it, OD'd. gaucho took a while to really get into it propper now I love it, just wish Mark Knopfler would have been featured on more of it, "my rival" is so funky. two against nature takes a little getting used to but sounds great and do like it a lot. Calssic Steely dan is more like Royal scam, coundown to ecstasy (Rick Driinger playing slide on showbiz kids, tsssss, hot!) and Katy lied. :D

have you tried "Everything Must Go" ....I think its their best in a long time.

greyhound
02-25-2008, 01:59 PM
all modern R&B like beyonce.
almost all rap. like 50ct.

further more i think most classical music is highly overrated.
if you dont like beethoven your to stupid to understand it seems to be the rule over here.
some parts of opera are realy breath taking but they last just for a few minutes. should you listen to 3 hours of semi good music to enjoy that?

glam rock also very very bad.

and from the time my children were born ive been confronted with the worst crap that you can think of.
in holland we have k3 . three girls who strted out in bikini but then figured their music was so infantiel that they were better of charching 40 euro's to let the children and theirr unfortunate parents come to a show with lots of dressing up and extremely happy tunes:barf:

Krunchy
02-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Mr.Seawolf, just pulled the trigger on it "used" on amamzon, I only rarely buy new these days. 2003 release, its been a while since I looked up their new offerings, looking forward to it.
But, just to keep in the spirit of things and this thread I must mention something that I dislike and will probably offend someone (not intentionally) lets see, who do i really dislike, Duran Duran, that'll do. The Bay City Rollers,well, after seeing Mike Meyers in "Honey I Married an Axe Murderer" I just cant hate them, the scene of him dancing aroung to saturday night is just too endearing and reedemed them in my eyes, also in that movie, hearing rod stewart's do you think im sexy being played on a bagpipe (including the solo) just kills me, thats just way too funny.

Greyhound, "all modern R&B like beyonce." :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I hear you my friend! I think all that stuff is just churned out in some werehouse in some undisclosed location, no substance, and that seems to be the predicament in most genre's. That's how I came into jazz many years ago, could not stand the stuff being played on popular radio any more, I rarely listen to radio, i get a headache, too many commercials and wont pay for satelite radio :no: cant do it!

greyhound
02-25-2008, 04:15 PM
we have a lot of alternative stations that avoid the comercial nonsense.
internet radio is also worth checking out.

during the day i listen to arrow classic rock. lots of seventees music

SEAWOLF97
02-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Mr.Seawolf, just pulled the trigger on it "used" on amamzon, I only rarely buy new these days. 2003 release, its been a while since I looked up their new offerings, looking forward to it.
That's how I came into jazz many years ago,

glad you picked up "EMG" , last weekend I was at GW and picked up the LP of "Child is Father to the Man" ...much different than later BST ..Al Kooper was quite soulfull and the horns are very jazzy ...

(In 2003, the album was ranked number 264 on Rolling Stone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Stone) magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Stone%27s_500_Greatest_Albums_of_All_Time) .)

you can get snippets at... http://www.thestore24.com/Music/Albu...did=SNY63987.2

try Somethin' Goin' On - 8:00

dllyons
02-26-2008, 09:57 AM
My problem with Rush is the lead singer , not esp the guitar. Cant stand his voice and inflections.

Foghat also.

aHa ! I felt 'eggzaktly' the same as you about Rush ! especially Geddy Lee's vocals !! Until ......
They were in concert in Columbus Sept.2007 for a local radio station birthday bash. I went to the concert mainly for the birthday bash and came out with totally different regard for Rush.
My gawd, Those guys can play ! what musicians !

In my opinion, if you listen to 'later' Rush stuff from the 80's, 90's, he has toned down the vocals and is very listenable. I suggest borrowing someone's copy of Rush gold, and it's a double CD, and listen to the second CD only. It's all of Rush's later tunes, and I'll bet you'll change your mind. Maybe you still won't be a 'fan' of theirs, but the vocals you'll rethink somewhat. Do it and let me know what you think !

Foghat ? They had two tunes I really liked, but nothing else .

dllyons
02-26-2008, 10:35 AM

any more questions ?
Seawolf, I take it you don't like classic rock, period ? My gawd man! what are you thinking ? Many of these bands you have mentioned in your posts, have been some of the most popular bands of all time. Did I mention Rock n Roll Hall of Famers ? Did I mention highly ranked in VH1's top 100 bands of all time ? Aerosmith ? Black Sabbath ? Def Leppard ? Judas Priest ? Metallica ? Gawd I could go on and on with your dislikes. Some I totally agree with, but by looking at all of the bands you've bashed, if I were you i'd totally stay away from rock music period.

KISS is an interesting one. They admit themselves that they're not talented- vocals or musicianship, but damned, they had some enjoyable material, and were they fun to watch in concerts!! Obviously many rock fans thought the same, because their albums outsold almost everyone back in their hey-day. The most popular band in the world. They're not in the hall of fame yet, but how can the HOF avoid them and their impact on rock fans of the 70's ? I'll admit that I disliked Kiss back then, but I've changed my mind completely in the last ten years, and I'll never miss a concert of theirs ! They are entertainers ! Lighten up a little bit and listen again. Take a less serious approach to their music and be entertained.

greyhound
02-26-2008, 03:32 PM
eminem and frank zappa in one sentence.
youre joking right:blink:

tool and celine dion?
please give me a break:p

4313B
02-26-2008, 04:35 PM
eminem and frank zappa in one sentenceYeah, who would go around disrespecting eminem like that? That's :bs:man!

hjames
02-26-2008, 06:12 PM
eminem and frank zappa in one sentence.
youre joking right:blink:

tool and celine dion?
please give me a break:p

Hey Zappa did some really cool stuff at times, other times - well, the man was too busy puttin' us on - lets just say some times his sense of parody got in the way of the music. I have maybe a dozen or so zappa albums, so I'm not the fan that some of you are, but - there was a real meaning to the phrase "Shut up and play yer guitar". (and yeah, I liked Gran Wazoo and some of the orchestral stuff ...) ...

Celine, Cher, not goin' there ... (not in my collection)
M&M - nah, no thanks ...

but don't be poopin' on Van the Man ...I got nearly ALL of his stuff

subwoof
02-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Billy the mountain got me fired from boy scout camp due to "not so PC lyrics" in 1974...he sure could play guitar though. And funny enough I was dating a Magdalena but never got her up against the wall though...:o)

I just drove 3100 miles listening to the SORRY state of commercial FM radio on the entire east coast.

Seems like a new WAY over-processed classic rock ( the same 200 tunes played over and over ) format is the norm and with computer-controlled playlists on chain stations, you are assured the same queen song in 5 states 4X a day. The same steely dan song. The same zepplin song...and so on and so on...you can set your watch to LA woman...

WHY some "wet behind the ears" tech decides that pulling the cymbals and organ tracks to the same level as the dominant vocals is "good" for listening is beyond me. I just love to hear the gain-riding final output expander / compressor fight to pull the piano form the noise floor on Tull's locomotive breath and then go into WTF mode when the guitar starts....it RUINS the whole feeling.

...sigh...

SEAWOLF97
02-26-2008, 07:53 PM
In that vein, these are some of the "artists" who'll get me off the couch as if it was on fire:

Laurie Anderson - wtf ? is that singing or some kind of Tibetan sheep mating call ?

Yoko Ono - she's also pretty good at making sounds not normally associated with humans

John Tesh - Isn't one Yanni enough ?

:rotfl:

Grace Slick is capable of some pretty weird sounds also

Seawolf, I take it you don't like classic rock, period ? My gawd man! what are you thinking ?.

check the "whats Playing now" thread, you may want to modify that statement. Most of those groups were 70's , which is generally regarded as the "Black Hole" of rock..very little of significance emerged from that time period (yes, there are some exceptions)

but don't be poopin' on Van the Man ...I got nearly ALL of his stuff

I did say that I liked Van when he was with "THEM" ...I think we'll have to agree to disagree on him.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

from reviewing this thread, it looks like KENNY G is the runaway winner (loser ??) with Michael Bolton and John Tesh fighting for 2nd...and Yanni/Celine close behind.

greyhound
02-27-2008, 04:20 AM
well i guess bands like led zepelin, pink floyd, deep purple, the who, ramones, queen, creedance clearwater r, rolling stones, genesis, david bowie, bob dylan,king crimson,zappa etc etc
were some of those exeptions then?:D

Krunchy
02-27-2008, 05:38 AM
I just drove 3100 miles listening to the SORRY state of commercial FM radio on the entire east coast.

Seems like a new WAY over-processed classic rock ( the same 200 tunes played over and over ) format is the norm and with computer-controlled playlists on chain stations, you are assured the same queen song in 5 states 4X a day. The same steely dan song. The same zepplin song...and so on and so on...you can set your watch to LA woman...
...sigh...

Amen to that Subwoof! I've been jaded for years on radio :biting:, it just sucks, I wish pirate radio would make a comeback or something equally refreshing. I cannot listen to it, & I try, at least once a week. I just loathe the commercials, way too aggressive. XM radio seems too idealized & therefore not like radio at all to me.

from reviewing this thread, it looks like KENNY G is the runaway winner (loser ??) with Michael Bolton and John Tesh fighting for 2nd...and Yanni/Celine close behind.

SMKSoundpro! you see Scotty, no need to worry about Kenny G entering anyone's home, its unanimous!
I think he's on the public conciousness cause he was featured on CBS's Sunday Morning this pas weekend, sorry, wasnt watching. It does beg the question though, someone out there really likes him, Im thingking old ladies and elevator music publishing companies.
Laurie Anderson, I like her, she's way out there, I mean way out, probably better live, still I can see why people woulndt like her. Cant please everyone all the time!

MJ Bing
02-27-2008, 06:00 AM
So
Everyone likes Blue Oyster Cult
I don"t recall seeing them listed

:D

Steve Mac
02-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Styx, Kansas, Foreigner, Journey, REO Speedwagon, Meatloaf, Heart, Spandau Ballet, Loverboy, Survivor...
This is the short list of artists I can't stand...

greyhound
02-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Styx, Kansas, Foreigner, Journey, REO Speedwagon, Meatloaf, Heart, Spandau Ballet, Loverboy, Survivor...
This is the short list of artists I can't stand...

well thats understandable:applaud:

macaroonie
02-27-2008, 04:55 PM
It is bad to speak ill of the dead but this man did more harm to traditional scottish music than anyone I can think of. Listen and laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT9sQNdoAa8&feature=related

SEAWOLF97
02-27-2008, 05:14 PM
So

:D

I doubt that...its just that they are played so seldom that people dont get annoyed enough to remember to list them here ....:)

OTOH - Phil Collins is generally an incompetent hack when singing (and played too much)

I'm seeing recurring themes here of the late 70's schlock ....hasnt aged well ...:blink:
(tho I secretly enjoy SOME Heart and Foreigner)

jblnut
02-27-2008, 05:29 PM
[quote=SEAWOLF97;202403]

OTOH - Phil Collins is generally an incompetent hack. (and played too much)

quote]

He was and is an excellent drummer, and was a decent front man for Genesis too. I think "incompetent hack" is a bit much. I saw him when he was playing drums on the Clapton tour in the 80's. Damn fine musician as long as he's kept away from the piano and the mic to sing his pop tunes.

Let's leave the harsh words for the truly deserving. I'll throw Laurie Anderson under the bus here again just for fun. Maybe Yoko too. :)

jblnut

SEAWOLF97
02-27-2008, 05:54 PM
[quote=jblnut;202407 Damn fine musician as long as he's kept away from the piano and the mic to sing his pop tunes. [/quote]

I was unclear, just referring to his vocals

opimax
03-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Santana =EXCELLENT on many items and coming from left field on a few, over all best live but enough quality to be great

CCR=time to offend you people who's ears like nasally bad voices, and played way too many times on marginal songs

And IMHO you can find some quality guitar by Gary R of REO mainly before they were popular, still a good musician later but songs went down hill,very good in concert (so was styx but as a group only)

That was a good Clapton tour, went at least twice, I lived through his 1 song he sang twice...

luckily my opinion rules!!! :applaud: :applaud: (keep it friendly)

Haven't herd a decent RAP song yet...(songs should have a melody right?)

Mark

Krunchy
03-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Haven't herd a decent RAP song yet...(songs should have a melody right?)Mark
The best Rap song I can remember is Blondie's Rapture, that was Rap, I think people just got too lazy to think melody or not talented enough. The potential is there, just hasnt been explored right (may never be). I do not like Rap, with that said i will admit that I like Ronny Jordan a lot (British guy), who mixes acid jazz with some Rap but you have to get over the fact that it may be rap like to begin to appreciate it for what it is, but he's the exception. Great friken guitar player, saw him in the city a while back and he was very hot! lots of instrumentals as well.

So

To quote Christopher Walken "we need More Cow Bell" :D at least the SNL skit was funny!

invstbiker
03-01-2008, 10:34 PM
meatloaf :barf::barf::barf:

BUT, I do enjoy my wifes meatloaf, ahh and those meatloaf sandwiches with mustard :D

greyhound
03-02-2008, 02:57 AM
farrel
(N.E.R.D.) is a talented artist in the rap/hiphop scene.
makes great beats and raps en sings.
gets a thumbs up when it comes to originality. without him justin T wouldn't be this popular.

outkast is great. not afraid to throw of the big gold chains and sing something that has meaning and humor in stead of talking about bitches en MF's.

so rap has some great artists but you will have to look for them

Russellc
03-02-2008, 07:23 AM

David
That is a "special" album, what a crackup listening to Pat Boone sing Jimmie Hendrix " The wind cries Mary."

Russellc

pelly3s
03-02-2008, 08:37 AM
I'll start by saying that in my opinion the Beatles win it for me. The list then goes on to Led Zepplin and Bob Dylan rounding out the top 3. I can appreciate their influences in music and all that other stuff but seriously I cant see how people can believe the Beatles and Led Zepplin are the greatest bands in history, some of what came from them was total :bs:

SEAWOLF97
03-02-2008, 09:06 AM
I cant see how people can believe the Beatles and Led Zepplin are the greatest bands in history, some of what came from them was total :bs:

XM was playing "Helter Skelter" ..PURE CRAP !!! and yes, there is a lot a Zep that is crap too, tho they also put out some real gems .

I can generally tolerate Gratefull Dead, but this morning there was a long jam (seemed like 2 hours) that had no melody, just a lot of sound/noise. Finally I got up and proclaimed "ENOUGH !!!" and went to the 60's channel which is usually safer.

hjames
03-02-2008, 09:17 AM
I'll start by saying that in my opinion the Beatles win it for me. The list then goes on to Led Zepplin and Bob Dylan rounding out the top 3. I can appreciate their influences in music and all that other stuff but seriously I cant see how people can believe the Beatles and Led Zepplin are the greatest bands in history, some of what came from them was total :bs:

Yeah, interestingly, the Beatles did their whole output between 1960 and 1970 - surprising how 38-48 year old music can sound pretty dated ...

I feel the same way about the Doors - gahh - what an overrated group!

Krunchy
03-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Mr. Wolf! Sounds like you caught some GD "space" action, always hated that aspect/portion of their concerts. Think that just gave the rest of the band a chance to go back stage and indulge their extracurricular pharmacological appetites.

Like any band, there will be some stuff that just plain stinks but I still love the Beatles, not their really early stuff, I think from Rubber Soul on they really came into their own. Same with Zep, not all of it was great, still fond of them too, though may have OD'd a bit on it in high school :D

richluvsound
03-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Can I put the Doobie Brothers , The BeeGees, Wham, Early Madonna,infact all Madonna except," Ray Of Light" William Orbit produced it :applaud:Rolling Stones (Jagger is a pretentious plonker ) Coldplay. Fat boy Slim( He aint even a good DJ) , Joni " winging" Mitchell. And while we're at it, can someone please tell Bono he aint the arch angel bloody "Gabriel" Quick Krunchy put the seat down and I'll stand on it, we better flush twice and remember the loo brush ,cus that much SHITE in one is gonna leave some nasty marks.

Rich

Krunchy
03-02-2008, 10:56 AM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :homer: wait a minute, I like the stones but agree with about Mick. Dig william Orbit too.

SEAWOLF97
03-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Can I put the Doobie Brothers , The BeeGees, Wham, Early Madonna,infact all Madonna except," Ray Of Light" William Orbit produced it :applaud:Rolling Stones (Jagger is a pretentious plonker ) Coldplay. Fat boy Slim( He aint even a good DJ) , Joni " winging" Mitchell. And while we're at it, can someone please tell Bono he aint the arch angel bloody "Gabriel" Quick Krunchy put the seat down and I'll stand on it, we better flush twice and remember the loo brush ,cus that much SHITE in one is gonna leave some nasty marks.

Rich

Rich ..
I almost completely agree with your choices, except I kinda like the early Stones. Feel like "Tatoo You" was their last good album. But, yeah, Jagger is "something else" :blink:

The best Rap song I can remember is Blondie's Rapture, that was Rap,

Rapture ? about the stupidist/funniest song/rap I've ever heard. "Man from Mars eating guitars, bars and cars ?" :barf:

richluvsound
03-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Seawolf,

Do not get me started on Debbie Harry:biting: I think I was 18 when that came out . Yep ! I was a new romantic . I wore more make-up than she did:o: Hair gel ( when I had hair ) Scrape me off the ceiling kinda times. Hey, but I was real cool though. WELL , I thought I was and I bloody told everyone I was and they most definitely were not.......... What was I saying about Jagger ?

Rich

opimax
03-02-2008, 11:24 AM
sorry , doobies are "all right, oh yeah" nothing special, early stones are ok, and the Beatles up to the white album are OK, Rubber Souls even good.

Led Zep, 1 of the wost concert bands but then so is their material :)

And the Doors, please let them hit you on the way out!

Many bands have their place and music would be worse off w/o them but I won't listen to some those important bands music

What were those Sat morning cartoon bands besides the Archies? Bananarama?Also some super hereos were a band??? wasn't 1 an elephant ? anybody remember names?

Mark

SEAWOLF97
03-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Rolling Stones (Jagger is a pretentious plonker ) Rich

He's back in the news for the '69 SF concert

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/03/hells-angels-plotted-to-kill-mick-jagger-agent-says/?hp

WHAT gets called the 60's had any number of endings, most of them elusive or much debated. But for those who understood the decade (or era, or moment) as more a cultural than a political phenomenon -- a last, late Romantic pastoral -- the end came quite precisely and inarguably: Friday night, Dec. 6, 1969, at the Altamont Speedway not far from San Francisco, as the Rolling Stones, distracted and distraught, worked their way through ''Under My Thumb.''
The Hell's Angels had been hired to provide security at the free, outdoor Altamont festival, which drew 300,000 people and was to feature not only the Stones but also the Grateful Dead (whose manager had recommended the Angels' services), Santana, the Jefferson Airplane and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. The Angels, many of them new recruits to the club with something to prove, spent much of the afternoon clearing the area in front of the stage with the help of weighted pool cues. Then, a few songs into the Stones' closing set, several of the Angels developed a particular interest in an 18-year-old black man 10 or 15 yards from the stage. Meredith Hunter was attacked by one of the Angels, and when he pulled a gun and ran, was chased down, stabbed and beaten to death by a pack of them. None of the Stones could see this, but they knew something was happening -- it was there in the confusion of their playing, and in the fear they conveyed to one another in those quick glances with which longtime band mates say all that needs to be said.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0DE4DC1E3CF930A2575BC0A9669C8B 63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1

Jagger Weathers Hellish Assassination Attempt

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=fb23e6b5-15dd-43f0-ac2a-42246a9b0eae

If there was ever any debate over which member of the Rolling Stones was the biggest survivor, well, this certainly puts Keith Richards (http://www.eonline.com/celebrities/profile/index.jsp?uuid=a7da480e-9f1b-4c52-8602-cf54c7804215)' brush with a coconut tree to shame.
A documentary covering the history of the FBI set to air on Britain's BBC Radio 4 has made public for the first time revelations that legendary rocker Mick Jagger was once the target of a failed assassination attempt.
The plan to off the knighted rocker was, per the documentary, hatched by a group of Hells Angels in the aftermath of the group's ill-fated and infamous concert at the Altamont Speedway in 1969.
During the free concert, for which the gang was providing security, an 18-year-old male fan was kicked and stabbed to death by a group of Hells Angels in an incident that was captured on several cameras and that, remarkably, did not lead to the cessation of the show.
Following the fatal concert, Jagger made public a vow not to employ the protection services of the chopper gang anymore, which, apparently, was taken as a big enough slight for the group to seek rather drastic vengeance and attempt to take out the superstar.
"They were going to kill him for retribution for firing them," former FBI agent Mark Young told the retrospective documentary, The FBI at 100.
"The Hells Angels were so angered by Jagger's treatment of them that they decided to kill him," Tom Mangold, the host of the BBC series, told London's Daily Telegraph. "A group of them took a boat and were all tooled up and planned to attack him from the sea."
The water-bound, apostrophe-averse Angels had set their sights on Jagger's holiday home in the Hamptons as the location to carry out their morbid plan, though fortunately for the rocker, Mother Nature intervened on their quest.
"They planned the attack from the sea so they could enter his property from the garden and avoid security at the front," Mangold said. "The boat was hit by a storm and all of the men were thrown overboard. All survived and there was not said to be any further attempt on Jagger's life."
According to the radio program, it is not believed Jagger was informed of the assassination attempt at the time, and it's unclear if the rocker was privy to the revelations before they were made public. Either way, the 65-year-old has yet to comment on the incident.
The FBI at 100 series begins tonight on BBC Radio 4. The episode addressing Jagger's assassination attempt is expected to air Mar. 11.

richluvsound
03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Sea Wolf , Krunchy,

Hey Did you guys have to suffer Cliff Richard over there ?

Rich

Krunchy
03-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Never heard of him, a good thing, apparently.

Ducatista47
03-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Sea Wolf , Krunchy,

Rich

At least Cliff had Hank B. Marvin backing him up, if I remember correctly. Don't feel bad. We had Jay and the Americans (actually Jay was Irving Glatt). Worse yet, Italy had Rita Pavone. Later we were blessed with Barry Manilow.

Then again, The Dave Clark Five was British...

Clark

JohnK
03-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Might as well launch a discussion of the merits of the various religions.

There isn't good or bad music. It's all music to somebody.

LRBacon
03-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Sea Wolf , Krunchy,

Rich

Yes we did. The only hit that he had that I kind of liked and remembered was "We Don't Talk Anymore."

A group I can't stand that comes to mind is Black Sabbath.

richluvsound
03-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Yes we did. The only hit that he had that I kind of liked and remembered was "We Don't Talk Anymore."

A group I can't stand that comes to mind is Black Sabbath.

Gotta agree with sabbath. I love Ozzy though :D Its a shame about his kids. That daughter of his is running round the clubs of London with chunks of blow falling out of here nose. Bless her !

Oasis get the flush too !They started the rot in English pop. Screw these student bands. I guess I can thank Nirvana for that too !

Rich

LRBacon
03-04-2008, 09:58 AM
I bought Sabbath's first two LP's back when they first came out. Maybe listened to them once or twice and then quit because the music gave me the creeps.

Larry

SEAWOLF97
03-04-2008, 10:10 AM
XM was just playing some JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP, kinda like the Barry Manilow of Rock - just pretentious slop. :(

LRBacon
03-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Another artist that I don't particularly care for is Macy Gray. Hey SeaWolf, is the sun shining there in Portland? It is up here 100 + miles north of you.

Larry

SEAWOLF97
03-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey SeaWolf, is the sun shining there in Portland? It is up here 100 + miles north of you.

Larry

Nope, we're in the grey. Hope it comes out, wanna get out on the bike today..:D

its 175

opimax
03-08-2008, 06:52 AM
Good call on cougar what ever version he is! Only 1 step above Petty

Mark

SEAWOLF97
03-08-2008, 08:39 AM
If you read back thru this thread ...one fact jumps out,,,,there are very FEW female vocalists here ....mostly Mariah, Celine and Whitney.

VOCALISTS: Are we tougher on males or are females just more pleasing to the mostly male forum ??

Rusnzha
03-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Speaking of female vocalists, I was listening to a smooth jazz station some time ago and they played Mysteries. The band was note for note identical with the Manhatten Transfer version, but what the hell was wrong with Janis Seagal? She sounded like someone was stepping on her boobs. Turned out it was Anita Baker, arrrrgh!

Kenny G is also atrocious. One word sums him up -- sappy.

Allanvh5150
03-27-2009, 01:06 PM
One things springs to mind.......does anyone play music through thier JBL's or do they just sit there gathering dust? :blink:

Allan.

jcrobso
03-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Seawolf,

Do not get me started on Debbie Harry:biting: I think I was 18 when that came out . Yep ! I was a new romantic . I wore more make-up than she did:o: Hair gel ( when I had hair ) Scrape me off the ceiling kinda times. Hey, but I was real cool though. WELL , I thought I was and I bloody told everyone I was and they most definitely were not.......... What was I saying about Jagger ?

Rich
Did you listen the Classix Nouveaux? They were New Romantic band? John

jcrobso
03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
One things springs to mind.......does anyone play music through thier JBL's or do they just sit there gathering dust? :blink:

Allan.

I use some of my JBLs every day, there are others that don't get used all that often. So sadly some are just gathering dust:(. My JBL PA system that's in my garage only gets once in a while. John

MikeBrewster77
03-27-2009, 03:03 PM
The Talking Heads - I abhor their music, and can only speak about it in terms that I can't use in polite company!!!

Also Joni Mitchell annoys the every living sh*t out of me for some reason I can't really describe.

At least I'm an equal opportunity "hater" in terms of gender of the vocalist/group. ;)

Best,
- Mike

JeffW
03-27-2009, 04:13 PM
The Talking Heads - I abhor their music, and can only speak about it in terms that I can't use in polite company!!!

Also Joni Mitchell annoys the every living sh*t out of me for some reason I can't really describe.

At least I'm an equal opportunity "hater" in terms of gender of the vocalist/group. ;)

Best,
- Mike

Can't argue Joni Mitchell, and there is only one Talking Heads song I like... "Burning Down the House". Crank that one up, it'll work your stuff over.

SEAWOLF97
03-27-2009, 04:34 PM

Can't argue Joni Mitchell,

I saw Joni at Big Sur in 1968 , she blew away the audience who had never heard of her ..I got her first album (songs to a Seagull), which was magic ,,,,BUT THEN ,,I dont know what happened ,,,,she grates on my ears now ,,, but that first LP is still so nice..

Amazon.com
Canadian singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell debuted in 1968 with this impressionistic and slightly overwrought album. Produced by David Crosby (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ts/artist-glance/27049/$%7B0%7D), the album uses very sparse instrumentation--mostly Mitchell on acoustic guitar with Stephen Stills (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ts/artist-glance/69814/$%7B0%7D) on bass--to back Mitchell's incredibly complex lyrical forays. (The original LP's sides were subtitled.) But despite her grand plans, the disc is most successful in its humblest moments. "Michael from Mountains" (successfully covered by Judy Collins (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ts/artist-glance/40528/$%7B0%7D)), "Night in the City," and "Marcie" all contain the seeds of Mitchell's best work, her melodic explorations, and observant eye. Tracks such as "The Dawntreader" and "The Pirates of Penance" are too close to creative-writing exercises to succeed. Nonetheless, a tantalizing debut. --Rob O'Connor

2 Joni's ???

Seems to happen to a lot of artists in this thread .. they were great starting out ,,,,then turned to sh*t (where is that emoicon for a terd ?) :blink:

Robh3606
03-27-2009, 05:50 PM
How's this??

SEAWOLF97
03-27-2009, 06:03 PM
How's this??

perfect for those artist/groups that have gone in the toilet !!!!!!

.just have to animate it now :applaud:

MikeBrewster77
03-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Fair enough - I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I actually do like their song Wild Wild Life, and I think I vaguely remember Burning Down the House from when it was released. As for the rest of their stuff :barf:

there is only one Talking Heads song I like... "Burning Down the House". Crank that one up, it'll work your stuff over.

Ducatista47
03-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Here I thought I was known for my negative reactions to stuff; I find myself very high on some Talking Heads tunes. The bass line alone makes "Psycho Killer" worth it. Their version of "Take Me To The River" is my favorite. Likewise, "Wild Life" is a favorite, and, unrelated to the music, I loved John Goodman in the video.

"Once In A lifetime" is one of my cultural litmus tests. Straight people detest it, less uptight listeners tend to think it is one of the great songs of all time. Talk about a love it or hate it band!

I have mostly stayed away from this thread because I tend to think most really popular cultural icons suck pond water and the community is better served by my silence. ;) Talent is what turns me on and popularity counts for nothing with me. If anyone really wants my opinion, ask for it. Otherwise, count your blessings. :D

Clark = :biting::biting::biting:?

MikeBrewster77
03-28-2009, 11:30 AM
If anyone really wants my opinion, ask for it.

I'll bite ;) Let's hear it...

It's funny that you said what you did considering that I was just contemplating starting a thread on "Most Embarrassing Pieces in your Music Collection." I've seen a lot of favorite/least favorite responses, but I'd be interested to see what folks have that might be shame-inducing guilty pleasures. Could be interesting...

Ducatista47
03-28-2009, 12:56 PM
It's funny that you said what you did considering that I was just contemplating starting a thread on "Most Embarrassing Pieces in your Music Collection." I've seen a lot of favorite/least favorite responses, but I'd be interested to see what folks have that might be shame-inducing guilty pleasures. Could be interesting...

Great idea! I must have some real garbage lurking. The thing is, I don't listen to it anymore. Perhaps as senility intrudes I will get some "full circle" action. I was a teeney bopper for about six months and I must still have my Sonny & Cher vinyl around in the basement. If I lose enough brain cells it might regain appeal. It would be as exciting as listening to the sump pump run...

I admit I hold vocalists to a higher standard than other musicians. I like darn few and tend to favor content and expression over great pipes. So Bob Dylan and Neil Young I like despite their poor vocal gifts. Ella Fitzgerald is way too cute for my Jazz tastes. Whitney Houston has world class vocal cords and taste in music equal to her taste in spouses and drugs. Frank Sinatra I find a one trick pony and too prone to schmaltz. His phrasing and swing were tepid, always the same, and boring. His dynamics were almost nonexistent. *

Some vocalists have it all, great voices and fascinating presentation. The problem is, we never hear of most of them. Maria Pia De Vito, anyone? How about the singer in Berlin, Terri Nunn? Great voice, and a powerful, expressive, versatile singer. Everyone hated Berlin, so she stayed under the radar. Music is also a business, so the cream seldom rises to the top.

Classic Rock... there must be some pearls in there, but give me some time. The saying "If it sells it smells" comes to mind. I will say some of the Stones' stuff is great, as is some of the Grateful Dead catalog. Even Journey had some truly memorable songs where singing and playing was epic. What is hard is to point to a Classic Rock body of work. Between bad drumming, bad singing, uninspired formulaic guitar and bass playing, and meager writing skills, it is a stretch to come up with strong legacies. Perversely, there was enough mediocrity to go around and few bands were not infected.

Some individuals stand out. My favorites would be Jeff Beck, Jeff Beck and Jeff Beck (to paraphrase Orson Wells). Actually, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and Neil Young , too. Notice the Mac era cited. The Buckingham Nicks incarnation was way more popular than talented. I notice that the recollection of how good music was is heavily colored by nostalgia. A huge factor in the enjoyment of Rock and Pop.

*The band era that backed him and his kind was a very, very low point in the history of instrumental music. It was mostly inspired by the majority of work done by Count Basie, the king of highbrow schmaltz. Dance music in general makes for poor sit-down-and-listen-to-it fare, and Basie is no exception. I was quite taken with a few periods in his history, but most I literally can't listen to it.

Clark

MikeBrewster77
03-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Great idea! I must have some real garbage lurking.

You and I both - I think I will start that thread after all ;)

Whitney Houston has world class vocal cords and taste in music equal to her taste in spouses and drugs.
I think you mean had great vocals before her penchant for drugs eroded them. Then again, if I was married to Bobby Brown, I'd be snorting anything and everything in sight. Just remember kids: Crack is cheap - real stars only do drugs that can be ingested with the aid of a rolled up hundred dollar bill.

I admit I hold vocalists to a higher standard than other musicians. I like darn few and tend to favor content and expression over great pipes. So Bob Dylan and Neil Young I like despite their poor vocal gifts. Ella Fitzgerald is way too cute for my Jazz tastes.

I'm with you on this one. For example, Al Stewart is a favorite of mine - nasally, odd sounding voice, but I like the content and delivery. With Jazz, I run the gamut. I like some Ella (her version of Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered is a favorite) but I wouldn't rank her up there with say Nina Simone.

Music is also a business, so the cream seldom rises to the top.

Sad but true. But that's more a commentary on the masses buying records than the industry. If there was a demand for quality, surely there'd be a greater supply.

Classic Rock... there must be some pearls in there, but give me some time.

Heart comes to mind - personal favorite of mine. They could move effortlessly between aggressive rock and gentle ballads, and I'm particularly fond of Ann Wilson's vocals. They're also better live than in a studio (if you can get your hands on it, check out their live version of Rock and Roll - it's electrifying.) Of course, they sold out in the 80's, but in the later 90's they released some decent stuff. The Traveling Wilburys was an amazing confluence of talent, though not sure if they would count as "classic rock."

I notice that the recollection of how good music was is heavily colored by nostalgia.

Or drugs - either way...

That being said, thanks for sharing. You sound like you have a very solid grasp on music and highly discerning tastes. As I'm always looking to add to my collection and discover new artists and genres, I enjoy your insight.

Best,
- Mike

jeenie67
03-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Boy Bands!
Boy...I dunt know!

sonofagun
04-01-2009, 06:30 AM
Flying RuddyDucks
Purple Turtles
OZBANGO
FREDDY FINEGOLD & THE PISTERS

and the worst:

HEADSCRATCHERS!

Tom Brennan
04-01-2009, 08:50 AM
My favorites would be Jeff Beck, Jeff Beck and Jeff Beck (to paraphrase Orson Wells).

So are you a Ford fan too?

You mentioned Journey. I saw the band many times when I was a bouncer for Jam and they never failed to put on a proficient show, they were troupers as the saying went. And Steve Perry's live singing was as good as anyone's---he was a true singer who sang from the chest (I hate "neck" singers) with tremendous power and clarity, he made it look easy. I think Perry could'a sang anything.

I gotta say, this Adam Lambert guy on American Idol can SING and he's a showman and entertainer too.

boputnam
04-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Damien Rice. I've slit my wrists so many times they are now growed over with kevlar...

JeffW
04-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Some individuals stand out. My favorites would be Jeff Beck, Jeff Beck and Jeff Beck (to paraphrase Orson Wells).

Have you seen him playing with Tal Wilkenfeld? She'll be a great jazz bassist if she doesn't burn out. Google their names for much YouTube.

Actually, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac

The Green Manalishi is just one of my favorite songs, but I confess the Judas Priest cover is more my style. :D

Ducatista47
04-01-2009, 11:54 PM
So are you a Ford fan too?
For sure. My Darling Clementine has the best look of any western I have ever seen, a powerful argument for black and white cinematography. The pacing and Americana are unforgettable. They Were Expendable is as powerful as any other great anti war film (like All Quiet On The Western Front, Paths Of Glory and Cross Of Iron). How Green Was My Valley is on the ten best list of most viewers who have ever seen it. It would be easy to come up with twenty more favorites! And to think he lost one eye filming the battle of Midway, the pivotal battle of the war. I'm glad he didn't lose the other one too.

You mentioned Journey. I saw the band many times when I was a bouncer for Jam and they never failed to put on a proficient show, they were troupers as the saying went. And Steve Perry's live singing was as good as anyone's---he was a true singer who sang from the chest (I hate "neck" singers) with tremendous power and clarity, he made it look easy. I think Perry could'a sang anything.
I still listen to "Feeling That Way" / "Anytime" (I can't think of them except as one song) regularly and still get goosebumps every time. Steve is a great singer and Neil is like Angus Young - born with a genius for constructing leads and monster tone. Journey is a non guilty pleasure for me. Anything hatched from Santana can't be bad.

Have you seen him playing with Tal Wilkenfeld? She'll be a great jazz bassist if she doesn't burn out. Google their names for much YouTube.

Yes, I started raving about Tal after I saw the Crossroads festival on PBS. I dug up TV footage from Australia of her trio and further flipped out. Jeff's new live CD (a must have for fans, a tremendous recording) features her, so they continue to play together on occasion.

Clark

SEAWOLF97
04-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Genesis - The lamb lies down on Broadway

What a pompous , overblown piece of excrement ....:barf:

For sure. My Darling Clementine has the best look of any western I have ever seen, a powerful argument for black and white cinematography. The pacing and Americana are unforgettable. They Were Expendable is as powerful as any other great anti war film (like All Quiet On The Western Front, Paths Of Glory and Cross Of Iron).
Clark

Saw Clementine just recently and completely agree with you Clark....it prompted me to look a little deeper at Ford and gave The Searchers a try ...very memorable..

Paths of Glory was stunning as was Dr. StrangeLove , tho in different ways....I just finished The Apocalypse Now book / Peter Cowie.,,, and it had an interesting .quote.

"So Star Wars is George's (Lucas) version of Apocalypse Now, rewritten in an otherworldly context. The rebels in Star Wars are the Vietnamese and the Empire is the US. - Walter Murch

jcrobso
04-03-2009, 08:09 AM
"Have you seen him playing with Tal Wilkenfeld? She'll be a great jazz bassist if she doesn't burn out. Google their names for much YouTube."

I started play bass at 15, I'm now 64 and I was blown by her bass playing.:applaud: John

SEAWOLF97
04-04-2009, 07:07 AM
I used to be able to listen to Rod Stewart & Joe Cocker, but they just sound like noise anymore. mebbe the problem is that vocal style and not really the person ? (BUT I do enjoy Eric Burdon)

Mr. Widget
04-04-2009, 09:04 AM
What a pompous , overblown piece of excrement ....:barf:I really don't see the upside for a thread where people insult various musicians or even musical styles or types...

I hate Country.
I hate Disco.
I hate Opera.
I hate Rock.
I hate, I hate, I hate....

I don't think it really matters... there are people who can't stand Yanni and others who weep with joy when they hear him. Why do we need a thread that catalogs music that some people hate?

Widget

hjames
04-04-2009, 09:24 AM
I really don't see the upside for a thread where people insult various musicians or even musical styles or types...

I hate Country.
I hate Disco.
I hate Opera.
I hate Rock.
I hate, I hate, I hate....

I don't think it really matters... there are people who can't stand Yanni and others who weep with joy when they hear him. Why do we need a thread that catalogs music that some people hate?
Widget

Heh!

of course - we can get more granular than this ... I like later-early Genesis
(Foxtrot, Selling England, etc) but hate the later days Phil Collins dreck (Abacab, Then there were 3, etc)

I like early Ultravox (Satday night, Hiroshima Mon Amour ...) and Vienna (the start of the Midge Ur era), but have no use for the later stuff

I like early Yanni, but not his later stuff - hate John Tesh (saw him at wolftrap once - boring).

... and Rod Stewart - well, I like his work with Jeff Beck and faces, even his early solo work, but it was all downhill after Every picture tells a Story - and as for Rod doing the Great American Songbook?? Shut him the heck up and bring out Rosemary Clooney or Ronstadt, or Ella or ... any number of REAL singers!

opimax
04-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Heather I too enjoy early Yanni, the up tempo stuff was great, always had quality musicians with him too...then he found love I guess and went to sleep, and thought he was a great performer to watch(corny)

Tesh was ok on am occasional good song . He sounded the same more than any other I can think of

Mark

yggdrasil
04-05-2009, 04:47 AM
I have to agree with Widget.

This topic is on the edge of abusing the forum rules, and some of the posts will have to cross the line:

- You are not allowed to make personal attacks. Ad hominem attacks and name calling will not be tolerated.

MikeBrewster77
04-05-2009, 06:41 AM
Can ad hominem attacks be launched against non-forum members, or is that verboten as well? For example, can I call Whitney Houston a drug-addled, delusional, insane waste of talent, or is that contrary to the rules?

While I didn't start this thread, I have contributed and thought it was going along quite nicely with people sharing what they dislike, but with respect for each other's opinions. Just a different angle on the what do you enjoy type of thread (translated, things I would never disgrace my JBL's with by playing through them.)

Best,
- Mike

Ducatista47
04-05-2009, 07:50 AM
I am not arguing with our esteemed moderators, but I am with Mike. I might have missed it, but I have not seen anyone calling anyone else here names for thinking what they are posting. If saying an artist has no talent or should be ticketed for air pollution every time one of their CD's is played on the radio qualifies as an ad hominem attack, I should have been ejected early and often for referring to Madonna as a low talent musician.

It is interesting that the ad hominem rule forbids denigrating a poster for saying an artist is bad or good. :blink: In other words, this thread has no more or less possibility (than a thread consisting of glowing approval) of slipping into rule breaking nastiness. Remaining civil equals respectfully disagreeing.

Clark

MikeBrewster77
04-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Speaking of both Bose and Madonna, it all comes together now. Madonna is the Bose of entertainers - not particularly musical, but a helluva genius in the marketing department :p

I should have been ejected early and often for referring to Madonna as a low talent musician.

But the "Bose Impresses" thread is OKAY ??

JBL 4645
04-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Madonna is played on JBL here I wouldn’t think of anything less than JBL :bouncy:

Mr. Widget
04-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Madonna is the Bose of entertainers - not particularly musical, but a helluva genius in the marketing department :pYou would have to find a common definition for musical... very difficult like defining art. I believe in both cases intent is a component.

Regardless while I am not a Madonna fan, I can appreciate her business acumen and her stellar sense of timing. I certainly agree that she offers a mass appeal music as Bose offers a well marketed mass appeal speaker, and Anheuser Busch offers Budweiser... I wonder how many Madonna fans listen to Bose sipping a Bud?

All that said, I am not of the opinion that our current rules forbid denigrating an artist. I do think it is a bad idea though. I personally think it is far too easy to poke at pop stars... what's the point of it?

Widget

MikeBrewster77
04-05-2009, 09:58 AM
I wonder how many Madonna fans listen to Bose sipping a Bud?

If I were going to (likely unfairly) classify the entire demographic for both Bose and Madonna, I'd bet they're drinking white zinfandel from a box, but I could be way off base :p

I personally think it is far too easy to poke at pop stars... what's the point of it?

'Cause it's easy, and it's fun, and it makes for a good conversation. Just kidding - I think it's been an interesting dialogue, truthfully, and the comments haven't been solely directed towards what I would classify as "pure-fluff" pop stars; some fairly heavy hitting "serious" stars' music has been addressed as well.

What's the point? For me, it's about understanding unique perspectives. As an example, I summarily trashed all of Talking Heads' music in this thread, and received two interesting, respectful counterpoints. I actually acted on them, checked out the songs referenced, and honestly, it did have an impact on my opinion. I could also make the case that while certainly no vocal champ - Madonna does have a select few pieces that are quite compelling. That point might open someone else's mind, and thus the circle continues.

In short, I believe this kind of exchange can be enlightening if approached with an open mind.

Best,
- Mike

Mr. Widget
04-05-2009, 10:15 AM
I've read a number of posts here to the spirit of "I dont like so and so now, BUT there was a point in their careers when they were fine" ...

Using those comments, I can re-evaluate artists/groups that have already been dismissed and now find their personal "golden era" ...sort of a resurrection project , as it is.....:bouncy:Using someone else's personal preferences for musical performance seems pretty lame to me.

Case in point. Joni Mitchell

You mentioned liking her first album and feeling she lost it after that. Personally I like her Jazz influenced music that she came out with sometime later. While I don't dislike her first album, it is rather simple compared to some of her later work... then again she like many musicians produced some pretty forgettable work during the '80s.

I have a strong dislike for many guitar bands... I find layer upon layer of distorted guitar tracks played on top of power chords tedious and painful. I know there those here who love Metallica and AC/DC. I think they suck, but so what? If you like that stuff play on... I'd rather listen to Hugh Masekela or Imogen Heap, or Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band, or...

I summarily trashed all of Talking Heads' music in this thread...I am not a huge Talking Heads fan, but I do respect their work and I would put Stop Making Sense down on a short list of great rock albums...

Widget

MikeBrewster77
04-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Using someone else's personal preferences for musical performance seems pretty lame to me.

Really??? Huh...

I don't let someone else's preferences define mine, but I may use them to re-evaluate something I've previously dismissed.

Case in point: since Joni seems to be a hot topic, she was the other artist I mentioned as "not being able to stand." Admittedly, my frame of reference is limited since I pretty much wrote her off based on two albums, both of which I believe were from the 80's. One had dogs or wolves or something else on the cover, and to me it was the most insufferable piece of crap ever pressed to vinyl. But, if that was her "weak" period, I'm open to that possibility, and now will likely check out some of her other work from different eras. Does that mean I'm taking your personal preference in lieu of mine? Nope - I may still wind up hating her :p. But, the effort will minimally broaden my horizons.

Music is an industry, and a substantial portion of what we ultimately hear is the result of a tremendous marketing effort. I figure we're already influenced at some level, so why not at least broaden the range of inputs?

Mr. Widget
04-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Many people write about personal preferences for musical performance for a living ...they are called REVIEWERS ...I dont always agree with them, but if one says "The album in question completely sux, dont waste your bux" .....I'll pass it up ..doesnt seem lame to me. This is a public forum and we all pretty much think for ourselves and use someone else's personal preferences as a guide ONLY.

and this forum uses others personal prefs for gear/speakers constantly ...lots of "What do you think about this or that speaker/amp/deal/ad ??? " threadsThe deal with reviewers and even some regular posters is that you can get a sense of their perspective... if you find one who you frequently agree with, then maybe their opinion backed up with their reasoning will be relevant to you, but for someone to simply post the L100s suck, the Paragon is the best speaker ever, or I think Metallica sucks... that just isn't particularly useful.

Obviously there are a number of folks on this thread that are enjoying venting... I much prefer the threads where people say check out so and so... through the magic of you-tube and other sites, you can get a quick taste and see if the album is for you.

Widget

Ducatista47
04-05-2009, 01:46 PM
All that said, I am not of the opinion that our current rules forbid denigrating an artist. I do think it is a bad idea though. I personally think it is far too easy to poke at pop stars... what's the point of it?
Widget
As pretty much a non musician, I would never be mistaken for someone talented enough to hold opinions worth reading on that question. I do, however, know someone who is. One of the most talented musicians I ever met, Kevin Hart, has said this on the "Music Q & A" page of his web site. http://www.kevinhartjazz.com/index.htm

What do you think of “pop” music these days?

Boy, I just don’t know. Pop artists seem to get a ton of attention for doing things like going on a major network show like Saturday Night Live to lip sync a simple tune, …..and screwing that up! I’m just baffled by what is considered "talent" often featured on commercial television or radio. I’ll watch late-night talk shows, and when it gets to the musical guests, I usually have to either change channels, or just shut it off. I just can’t believe that this lack of talent is really what people desire. Then to top it all off, the host walks over and says "great job, that was awesome." Meanwhile I'm screaming to the TV, "don't encourage that!!!" On the other hand, some of my favorite modern jazz artists are going the complete other direction and putting out some very ambitious, complex, and interesting work. Of course I NEVER see or hear talent of this level on the major networks, but thanks to NPR and PBS, these folks get some deserving recognition from time to time.

Bold emphasis mine. This response does not strike me as the least bit elitist, but rather hardheadedly practical and more objective than subjective. To what extent music stimulates brain activity, for instance, is measurable. Did you know that sitting and doing absolutely nothing elicits more brain activity than watching entertainment television? Entertainment television (ET :D) actually shuts down higher brain functions to a large extent. Hulu is right! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m71m-LBqFQ Well, guess what. Music works the same way. It can shut you down or stimulate the growth of new brain cells.

While listening to music is for many a frivolous activity, it has always been known that hearing music can have much deeper effects than entertainment. Some musicians have even based their work on the belief that, if done right, music can encourage the best in us as individuals and as a society. If there ends up being a shred of truth to any of that, then exposure to music with more in it than the usual pop fare would indeed be a very weighty matter and worth encouraging. Music that only makes us forget what is going on around us has its place, but music that reminds us of what we could be instead of reinforcing what we already are could actually be important. In fact, it is important by definition alone. (Why do I just know that someone here is going to point out Charles Manson listening to "Helter Skelter.")

All this would matter because life is short and when we listen to something it takes the time away from listening to something else. In that sense quality always matters. I personally find music that expands my experiences and the emotional content of my life, and challenges me, a much better way to spend my time, but that is me.

Look at this, from Peter: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=247110&postcount=1

Clark

PS The good news about all this is that having a great stereo is a concept you can actually take to the bank. Tell your local loan officer, your significant other, your skeptical relatives and neighbors why it matters. :bouncy: Just don't tell the banker about Manson.

16hz lover
04-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Prince

Any Rap performer(oh that's right, there's nothing artistic or musical about them)

Credence Clearwater Revival ( epitome of Redneck Southern Rock, like Jeff Foxworthys description of a redneck, "a total lack of sophistication")

That's all for now.:applaud:

Venkman
06-30-2009, 09:45 AM
OK, I've been perusing the forums for some time now, and just had to chime in on this one. I just resurrected my fathers old stereo gear, (a HK 730, and a set of L26's, which I've been working on), and have gotten some good info from your forums, thanks! Yes I realize that it's a dead thread by now, but I had to clear something up.

While I agree with a lot of you on here, and agree that 99% of rap music is terrible, not ALL of it is terrible and some of it you may actually enjoy. If you haven't heard of "The Roots" I suggest you give them a listen. Before you blow me off, keep in mind they play with a full band, and have a phenomenal drummer, ?uestlove, (yeah, I know.)
If you've got Napster or Rhapsody, just look them up and go for their live album. Also, not sure If I can post direct links on here? Therootslive dot com you can find some good stuff.

Also, on the country front, check out "John Doe and the Sadies", an album called "Country Club." It was sounding great on my L26's until the outer foam gave way. I've been really diggin' this album lately, and it might just remind you that there is such a thing as good country music too. I know it did for me.
Anyway, thanks for the forum!

hjames
06-30-2009, 09:53 AM
OK, I've been perusing the forums for some time now, and just had to chime in on this one.

Also, on the country front, check out "John Doe and the Sadies", an album called "Country Club." It was sounding great on my L26's until the outer foam gave way. I've been really diggin' this album lately, and it might just remind you that there is such a thing as good country music too. I know it did for me.
Anyway, thanks for the forum!

Okay, dig up some of John Doe's older stuff with X -
that cat's been kicking it well for years!
Also, go to the NPR site and listen to Fresh Air with Terri Gross -
Look for John Doe and the Sadies (well, 2 of them …)

You can listen to it in their archives at
http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13

Venkman
06-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Okay, dig up some of John Doe's older stuff with X -
that cat's been kicking it well for years!
Also, go to the NPR site and listen to Fresh Air with Terri Gross -
Look for John Doe and the Sadies (well, 2 of them …)

You can listen to it in their archives at
http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13

Ha-ha, thanks for the link never actually been to their webpage. Fresh Air is actually where I first heard the album, I live in Wyoming and travel for work frequently. NPR is my best friend on the road!
Funny, John Doe went from punk to country. He's got quite the portfolio. what a great voice.

Also, since the thread is groups you can't stand, put me down for Jethro Tull. I just can't take that rock flute anymore.

robertbartsch
07-01-2009, 12:30 AM
Michael Jackson
Elvis Presley
Billy Joyle
Janet Jackson
Billy Squire
Sticks
Neil Diamond
Latoya Jackson
The artist formerly known as Prince
Springstein
Any and all classical music
Any and all cowboy music

hjames
07-01-2009, 02:36 AM
Michael Jackson
Elvis Presley
Billy Joel
Janet Jackson
Billy Squire
Styx
Neil Diamond
Latoya Jackson
The artist formerly known as Prince
Springsteen
Any and all classical music
Any and all cowboy music
Ah, but - you do love Rap and Opera - that's comforting to know!

Rap and Opera are classified as noise NOT music so they are not performed by groups or artists.

No seriously, these are also on my list:

Frank Sinatra
Billy Idol
Dobbie Brothers
Earth Wind and Fire

Since many of these artists are played often on FM, I do not listen to the radio much.

Spelling corrected to make sense of it all ...

Edit: - bounce-quotes to bring further enlightenment into this ...

So - do you think Mikey likes ANYTHING??

or maybe just doo-wop and 60s motown stuff ...

robertbartsch
07-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Rap and Opera are classified as noise NOT music so they are not performed by groups or artists.

robertbartsch
07-01-2009, 05:11 AM
No seriously, these are also on my list:

Frank Sinatra
Billy Idol
Dobbie Brothers
Earth Wind and Fire

Since many of these artists are played often on FM, I do not listen to the radio much.

Hoerninger
07-01-2009, 05:20 AM
!!! I don't want no music !!!

;)

hjames
07-01-2009, 05:22 AM
This guy is a TROLL - all he does is slam stuff in badly informed ways ...

Will no one free us of this meddlesome piece??

SEAWOLF97
01-08-2010, 08:58 AM
just ran over to the music box to switch OFF ..Todd Rundgren ... yuk , did he ever do anything non-annoying ?

Almost as bad as Bobby Goldsboro doing "Honey"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_%28Bobby_Goldsboro_song%29

"Honey", also known as "Honey (I Miss You)", is a song written by Bobby Russell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Russell). Then he gave it to American singer Bobby Goldsboro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Goldsboro) who recorded it for his tenth album Honey. The song's protagonist mourns his deceased lover, beginning with him looking at a tree in their garden, remembering "it was just a twig" on the day that they planted it together, then reflecting on their relationship before turning to the day "the angels came."

Reception

The Cincinnati Enquirer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cincinnati_Enquirer) reported that the song frequently appears on "worst songs of all-time" lists, and in April 2006, Todd Leopold of CNN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN) named it the "Worst Song of All Time".[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_%28Bobby_Goldsboro_song%29#cite_note-0)

or even the legendary ..."MacArthur Park"

"Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again... Oh, no!"

4313B
01-08-2010, 09:06 AM
The Cincinnati Enquirer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cincinnati_Enquirer) reported that the song frequently appears on "worst songs of all-time" lists, and in April 2006, Todd Leopold of CNN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN) named it the "Worst Song of All Time".[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_%28Bobby_Goldsboro_song%29#cite_note-0)

I'm sure Kanye has something worse... :rotfl: THE WORST OF ALL TIME!

ampzilla747
04-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Pink Floyd
Van Halen
Phil Collins
Bruce Springstein
BB King and all of those early blues guys.
Eric Clapton (outside of Cream and Blind Faith)
Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood mack
CCR

lgvenable
04-05-2010, 07:26 PM
ampzilla 747'
you didnt grow up in the late 60's, 70's and 80's huh??
LGV

lgvenable
04-05-2010, 07:38 PM
I went to Steve Millers concert in Milwaukee's Summerfest last year, Joe was obviously over-the-hill, coudn't hit any high notes (his girls did all that). and the mix was HEAVY on bass.

Frankly I could wait for him to leave and Steve Miller to start. When SM started, I remembered everything I ever loved about his concerts and his work. He's a great show; and sounds like his albums. He was as good (or better >> excellent) as Joe is bad>awful>"time to retire!!"

And I loved the story of how the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame wanted his $125 guitar-sitar for 450K, he told them it was still busy, then broke into a song with it.

He was great!!

Oh and they got his mix right.

SEAWOLF97
04-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Pink Floyd
Van Halen
Phil Collins
Bruce Springstein
BB King and all of those early blues guys.
Eric Clapton (outside of Cream and Blind Faith)
Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood mack
CCR

I completely agree..except for BBK and CCR.

XM is oversaturated with BS (Bruce Springsteen)

starting to feel that way about later Elton John

early EC & PF were OK

sonofagun
04-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Snig Piglets

Fruminous Bandersnatches

Awful!

mikebake
04-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Bruce Springsteen.

eso
04-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Rush
Bruce Springsteen
Steve Miller
Morrisey
Kenny G

Really, too much to think of... It might be easier to list good music.

eso

SEAWOLF97
04-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Rush
Bruce Springsteen
Steve Miller
Morrisey
Kenny G

Really, too much to think of... It might be easier to list good music.

eso

agree on all except SM ....but the one that gets me running for the mute button is:

The Jackson 5 :barf:

ampzilla747
04-07-2010, 11:49 AM
No I didn't. Some of my fav are

Beatles
Cream
Status quo
Turtles
DC5
Trashmen
Verve
Sea horses
Wall of voodoo/Stan Ridgeway
Cake
Soul coughing

So when Did I grown up?lol

sonofagun
04-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Zombie Rugrats

Turtul Bombers*

Pedal Files

*Well, actually their one song "Hiss Pissle" ain't bad.

herki the cat
04-07-2010, 12:40 PM
ampzilla 747'

you didn't grow up in the late 60's, 70's and 80's huh??
LGV

Nope! I did not get my share of juvenile delinquency's. Instead, in the 1930's we had Dust Storms so bad you couldn't see your hand in front of your face in Kansas, We had Depression & Poverty & Hunger, but with the RCA Radiola Consoles with four push pull--parallel type (45) triode vacuum tubes & magnificent field coil speakers, & huge paper & metal-foil filter capacitors, we enjoyed the music of professional musicians like Glen Grey & his fabulous tune "No Name Jive," & Sweet Martha Tilton singing with Glen Miller & Don Allen's orchestras, Tommy Dorsey's "Getting Sentimental over you," & Jimmy Dorsey, Kay Kyser & his fabulous "tune "Scatter Brain", Henry Busse's orcheastra,& Matty Malnick on the Hammond Nova Chord Organ which sported 200 vacuum tubes. You had to be a very good professnal musician to get on a label.

These musicians were recorded on fabulous 16 inch wide range vertical cut transcriptions for Radio Broadcast Music Leased Library Service with play back quality superior to any modern stereo LP of today. You could of course buy the 78 records with built in abrasive to immediately wear down the steel needle to fit the groove, good for only two or three play backs before the needle became blunt.

You do not know what you missed 70 yeara ago, like gasoline for 10 cent a gallon.

Cheers herki the cat

Triumph Don
04-07-2010, 05:37 PM
No I didn't. Some of my fav are

Beatles
Cream
Status quo
Turtles
DC5
Trashmen
Verve
Sea horses
Wall of voodoo/Stan Ridgeway
Cake
Soul coughing

So when Did I grown up?lol

the TRASHMEN? Wow. Top 5 all time best car songs...A-Bone!

lgvenable
04-07-2010, 06:19 PM
1st time I bought it it was 0 .19/gallon. 8 oz cokes were 0.20; so you dont have the corner on crotichness (is that a word?)

BTW ya gotta love the Beatles as they really were the first group to go Big Time; heck I remember the record burnings..."we're more popular than Jesus".

Heck when I was 18 CCR's Jeremiah was a Bull Frog...

nuff said....

then again I don't do XM, so these guys don't get overplayed for me. I just load up an IPOD; and deafen myself. :D

SEAWOLF97
04-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Heck when I was 18 CCR's Jeremiah was a Bull Frog...:D

I'm a big CCR fan..dont think they ever did that.....mebbe you are thinking of 3 Dog Night "Joy to the World" ??

Three Dog Night Joy To The World lyrics

Jeremiah was a bullfrog
Was a good friend of mine
I never understood a single word he said
But I helped him a-drink his wine
And he always had some mighty fine wine
Singin'...
Joy to the world
All the boys and girls now
Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea
Joy to you and me

OBTW : Hoyt Axton did a great version of that on the "JBL Sessions" LP's.

sonofagun
04-08-2010, 06:55 AM
FlatBurgers

ChimiChangas

Tha Puddlys*

I got a bunch!

* But does anyone know where I can get a copy of their "Hang 'em High" CD?

jcrobso
04-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Nope! I did not get my share of juvenile delinquency's. Instead, in the 1930's we had Dust Storms so bad you couldn't see your hand in front of your face in Kansas, We had Depression & Poverty & Hunger, but with the RCA Radiola Consoles with four push pull--parallel type (45) triode vacuum tubes & magnificent field coil speakers, & huge paper & metal-foil filter capacitors, we enjoyed the music of professional musicians like Glen Grey & his fabulous tune "No Name Jive," & Sweet Martha Tilton singing with Glen Miller & Don Allen's orchestras, Tommy Dorsey's "Getting Sentimental over you," & Jimmy Dorsey, Kay Kyser & his fabulous "tune "Scatter Brain", Henry Busse's orcheastra,& Matty Malnick on the Hammond Nova Chord Organ which sported 200 vacuum tubes. You had to be a very good professnal musician to get on a label.

These musicians were recorded on fabulous 16 inch wide range vertical cut transcriptions for Radio Broadcast Music Leased Library Service with play back quality superior to any modern stereo LP of today. You could of course buy the 78 records with built in abrasive to immediately wear down the steel needle to fit the groove, good for only two or three play backs before the needle became blunt.

You do not know what you missed 70 yeara ago, like gasoline for 10 cent a gallon.

Cheers herki the cat

My parents told about the 1930s & 1920 & 1940s. But the 1950s & 1960, etc. those I remember.

Allanvh5150
04-09-2010, 01:12 AM
So if everyone here on LHF hates pretty much every band and artist that ever existed, I guess then everyone just plays pink noise for entertainment. :)