PDA

View Full Version : ProAc studio 1 speakers

SEAWOLF97
02-15-2007, 03:24 PM
I picked up this little , but very heavy , pair today. Was attracted to the veneer. grills look good. LF need refoaming. one hf looks like titanium needs straightening.

Laid them on backs and put signal to them...WOW ...even in this condition they sound like there is some real potential there.

searched google and can't find much....anybody know about these. ? (don't ask where I got them or how much, some dufus wud respond that he doesn't believe me :( )

grumpy
02-15-2007, 03:45 PM
those are worth getting properly repaired... I believe the company is
still in business. -grumpy

BMWCCA
02-15-2007, 03:45 PM
British Company:
www.proac-loudspeakers.com (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/www.proac-loudspeakers.com)

U.S. distributor:
Modern Audio (410) 486-5975 [email protected]

Didn't find any "Studio 1" models under "discontinued models".

So, now much were they at the Goodwill???:applaud:

grumpy
02-15-2007, 03:55 PM
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=516375

SEAWOLF97
02-15-2007, 03:57 PM
So, now much were they at the Goodwill???:applaud:

dont want to start another duel with the S. and dont like having my honesty questioned. What was the best 4 door mid sized BMW series ?

SEAWOLF97
02-15-2007, 04:02 PM
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=516375

thanx for the link....one comment there was pretty nice....."Proac have an extremely and addictive, musical sound, slightly bright, but they are just so right. Others may be as good or better, but proacs do have some magic to them."

BMWCCA
02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
What was the best 4 door mid sized BMW series ? E28 535i/s/M5, hands down. The e34 M5 came close but in terms of what makes a BMW a BMW, the E28 series wins. Everything that came after was a reaction to the living-room-on-wheel Lexus LS. Which sounds better; JBL Summit or Mcintosh ML-4Cs? If you say the latter, then try the former with a pillow over your ears (the equivalent to the E39 5-series).

I found several references to Studio 1 MkII, mostly Canadian, but nothing on the original Studio 1.

SEAWOLF97
02-15-2007, 04:16 PM
E28 535i/s/M5, hands down. The e34 M5 came close but in terms of what makes a BMW a BMW, the E28 series wins. Everything that came after was a reaction to the living-room-on-wheel Lexus LS. Which sounds better; JBL Summit or Mcintosh ML-4Cs? If you say the latter, then try the former with a pillow over your ears (the equivalent to the E39 5-series).

I found several references to Studio 1 MkII, mostly Canadian, but nothing on the original Studio 1.

all true , but I was kinda giving a coded answer to your question, since you and I own E34's.

I cant find anything on the studio 1 either. REALLY looks like a titanium dome on the HF.

jim campbell
02-15-2007, 04:37 PM
many pro ac models appear to use seas or scanspeak components and maybe the parts you need can be sourced there

SEAWOLF97
02-15-2007, 04:53 PM
many pro ac models appear to use seas or scanspeak components and maybe the parts you need can be sourced there

Jim

I opend it up to smooth out the dome and remove the LF for carrying to refoamers , so that the foam ring is correct..

both drivers are made in Germany. LF says "made especially for CELEF audio, INT"

merlin
02-15-2007, 05:46 PM

Hi all,

many Proac drive units are sourced through DST and latterly Volt, but most of these are custom designs to Stewart's specifications - usually with voicecoil mods or somesuch. I have a few Proac bits lying around (mainly custom Seas Excel drive units.

Sadly I don't have anything for the Studio 1. All Proacs are delightfully musical when still working. The studio range remain popular monitors today and I believe it might be Mastersound in NY that has the mighty D100's in their mastering suite.

macaroonie
02-16-2007, 12:06 PM
and ProAc are the same entity. Stuart Tyler is THE man and as far as I know is still in charge. Worth contacting them first re your foams.
Those speakers were quite pricy when they were on the go. Very clean if a bit lean sounding and they def. need stands about 12" tall. You cant go wrong at $40 I would say and well worth the effort renovating them.
Good luck.

SEAWOLF97
02-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Those speakers were quite pricy when they were on the go. Very clean if a bit lean sounding and they def. need stands about 12" tall. You cant go wrong at $40 I would say and well worth the effort renovating them.
Good luck.

thanx. I found out why they are so heavy. The cabinets are 1 1/4in thick - all around. The LF is quite heavy too. Found out the HF IS titanium domed FOCAL.

Orig sold for $1300. Last pair of mk2's went for $465 on da bay. but they were just black cabs.

The teac veneer cabs cleaned up nicely, and soaked in the oil. The English sure knew how to make speakers.

$40 ? thats WAAAYYYY more than I paid. :bouncy: :bouncy: Should have $21 in them AFTER refoams.

when I first noticed them laying on their backs with grills off...I saw the beautiful wood and titanium HF's, on the way , running over to them , I thot they were 18ti's for a moment.

macaroonie
02-17-2007, 03:48 AM
I dont remember Pro Ac using a Focal tweet so i would email to check on that also. Having said that Focal make some totl drivers and those tweets you have are supposed to have inverted domes. All i'm suggesting is do a bit of serious checking on what you have because in the end these speakers will be worth geting right.

merlin
02-17-2007, 06:03 AM
Give me the serial numbers and I'll check for you. I'm seeing Stewart on Monday.

SEAWOLF97
02-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Give me the serial numbers and I'll check for you. I'm seeing Stewart on Monday.

thanx. No serial numbers anywhere. LFs are metric 7 inch approx. frames.

I sent Proac customer service an email 2 days ago. Have yet no reply.

SEAWOLF97
02-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Holy $hit , forum readers !!!!!

I finished up the refoams on these ProAcs this morning. Incredible !!!! Could easily keep these for mains if I didn't have others.

They are superb. highs and image are really special, even the little 6.5 LFs do a nice job. Gonna hook in a JBL 10 inch sub and see how that combo sounds.

Very impressed , so far :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

SEAWOLF97
02-18-2007, 06:16 PM

Hey Merlin

cud you ask him about those tweets ? they are titanium , for sure. All they say is " made in Germany".

These are the best sounding small 2 way that I've ever heard ... are the larger ones that good ?

cabinetry is first rate also.

thx
TOM

jim campbell
02-18-2007, 08:53 PM
hey wolf ya gotta let me borrow that horseshoe

SEAWOLF97
02-19-2007, 08:22 AM
hey wolf ya gotta let me borrow that horseshoe

no HS needed. Actually, I did not find these initially. We don't get to the store till about 10 AM. Others wait for the doors to open and run in.
I network with the guys who pickup the same things I do. We all trade back and forth.
Traded a crappy Kenwood receiver (that I hadn't yet purchased) for the speakers. He likes receivers , I like speakers.
So, $5 for the speakers - I now have $22 in them, and another $5 for a Sony jds 501 mini disk deck that worked just fine. Got home and found I'd sold a 25 cent book for $10, so it all worked out just fine. :applaud:

TimG
02-19-2007, 09:50 AM
The tweeters look like an old model from MB Quart. Madisound has another model on clearance right now here http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=4175714.6986&pid=2152
I'm not sure about their different models but it is possible you could takes the domes out of these or maybe refit them with your faceplates to get them to work. The crossover may need to be reworked though.

SEAWOLF97
02-19-2007, 10:06 AM
The tweeters look like an old model from MB Quart.

tweets are just fine. sound great. have a very heavy dual magnet structure. wired in a JBL 8 inch SUB and makes a very musical combo. :applaud:

johnaec
02-19-2007, 10:14 AM
tweets are just fine.Were you able to fix the dented one?

John

SEAWOLF97
02-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Were you able to fix the dented one?

John

I opened it up, removed the mags, and smoothed out from the rear.
Nobody wud miss my fix, but its now more of the orig shape. looks kinda like a golf ball on the surface. but REALLY does not affect sound. it was titanium on both sides, think it was solid.

johnaec
02-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Nobody wud miss my fix, but its now more of the orig shape.The frustrating thing is that you just KNOW some old repair shop has a replacement tweeter or diaphragm sitting on a dusty shelf somewhere - they probably don't even know what it goes to... :(

John

TimG
02-19-2007, 02:16 PM
"REALLY does not affect sound" That is what people on ebay say all the time when they sell tweeters with crushed domes.

You may be able to convince yourself of that, but ask yourself this, If you were buying a new set of speakers with crushed domes from Best Buy, and the salesman told you it "REALLY does not affect sound" would you believe them and pay full market price for the speakers?

SEAWOLF97
02-19-2007, 02:28 PM
"REALLY does not affect sound" That is what people on ebay say all the time when they sell tweeters with crushed domes.

You may be able to convince yourself of that, but ask yourself this, If you were buying a new set of speakers with crushed domes from Best Buy, and the salesman told you it "REALLY does not affect sound" would you believe them and pay full market price for the speakers?

Oh , absolutly not. but I have a little experience (40 some odd years) , I really listened closely today to both and heard no difference. The one is now roundish again, if I put the grills back on and mixed them up...you couldnt pick out the "less than perfect" one. And they sure wont sell at retail again. And when I sell , the buyer will know what repairs I've done.
They are just rare enuff and stunningly good looking, that the right buyer will look past their flaws, as I did when buying my F's.
I spent nearly a month detailing them, did that even slow me down ? Not for a nanosec.

had them playing this AM, from the kitchen, they reminded me of the 4410's

FoolForARadio
05-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi. You can tell I'm new here. I usually hang out over on AK, where I have admired you from afar. But I decided to admire you from up close because this is the most cogent discussion of ProAc Studio x I have been able to find.

I picked up a set of Studio 2's that resemble these a lot. Same tweeter, I think. Mine have 8" woofers made by Tannoy. They have rubber surrounds attached to polypropylene cones. What are the surrounds like on the Studio 1's? One of mine is torn, so I am looking for a source, but the speaker that is intact sounds great. There is certainly not much info on the WWW about these speakers.

Let me say that I was going to join anyway, because I am just starting a refoam project on a set of L112's I found in a thrift store. Someone from AK referred me to this site, and to Rick Cobb.