PDA

View Full Version : Separate Altec section?

Nightbrace
02-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I think most would be okay with keeping JBL and Altec products in different sections. The "general" section is really crowded and it might be beneficial to add an additional section,. If its too complicated or not worth the effort, I fully understand, but I think its worth discussing.

SEAWOLF97
02-12-2007, 05:54 PM
sounds good to me.

sourceoneaudio
02-12-2007, 06:22 PM
I think most would be okay with keeping JBL and Altec products in different sections. The "general" section is really crowded and it might be beneficial to add an additional section,. If its too complicated or not worth the effort, I fully understand, but I think its worth discussing.

That would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :applaud:

J/S-S1A :blink:

grumpy
02-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Call me crazy... isn't there a dedicated Altec web site already? I understand the
association and I enjoy reading about Altec gear here (when I choose to, like
any other topic).

Perhaps someone could expand upon why a separate section would be needed,
as it's not clear (to me, at least)... I don't feel crowded. :)

I guess the Library areas are kept separate, so I don't really care unless it's a
"make-work" task for those that have already provided a lot of free effort for all
of our benefit... or if somehow, it would make their lives easier.

-grumpy

boputnam
02-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Call me crazy... isn't there a dedicated Altec web site already? :yes:

Altec Lansing Forum (http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=3729)

There is no need for an Altec dedicated forum section, here - they do a good job over there, and it's improving all the time.

Our Library has an Altec drivers, cabinets, catalogues and reference section, here: Altec Library at Lansing Heritage Forum (http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/altec.htm)

scott fitlin
02-13-2007, 10:15 AM
:yes:

Altec Lansing forum (http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=3729)

Our Library has an Altec drivers section, here: Altec Library at Lansing Heritage forum (http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/altec.htm)Not for nothing, WE have the BEST and most comprehensive library of Altec literature on the internet!

Zilch
02-13-2007, 11:19 AM
:yes:

Altec Lansing Forum (http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=3729)

There is no need for an Altec dedicated forum section, here - they do a good job over there, and it's improving all the time.I don't get it, the complaint being that there's too little "action" over there.

There'd be a bunch more if everyone went over there to discuss Altec.

Seems some of our Altec fans may have been kicked outta there already, tho.... :p

Storm
02-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Seems some of our Altec fans may have been kicked outta there already, tho.... :p

Yep, I was kicked out.

;)

-Storm.

Zilch
02-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Perhaps we can get you reinstated, Storm....

[How much we gotta PAY, Todd? :rotfl:]

sourceoneaudio
02-13-2007, 01:15 PM
:blink:
Yep, I was kicked out.

;)

-Storm.

Imagine that!

J/S-S1A :D

Titanium Dome
02-13-2007, 03:21 PM
I feel that creating a separate section would add to the isolation some Altec fans already feel. I think its healthier to keep it together.

SEAWOLF97
02-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Perhaps we can get you reinstated, Storm....

[How much we gotta PAY, Todd? :rotfl:]

does he need references ?

Nightbrace
02-13-2007, 05:01 PM
There'd be a bunch more if everyone went over there to discuss Altec.

But nobody wants to, there's more discussion about Altec here, but it gets lost in the sea of JBL banter.

louped garouv
02-13-2007, 05:07 PM
I think the hostboard site is fine.....

you can talk Altec at the Hi efficiency roundtable as well....

amongst others...

scott fitlin
02-13-2007, 05:46 PM
But nobody wants to, there's more discussion about Altec here, but it gets lost in the sea of JBL banter.Well, more people are into JBL on this particular forum.

I use Altec 15,s still, and I love them, but, I dont talk so much like I used to. My workload dictates that I spend more time doing my mechanical work than conversing online. I also will add that after a bit, say the first year, it gets old talking about the same thing over and over, so, some of us just arent as talkative online as we once were. Doesnt mean I am not listening to Altec right now.

I also love JBL, their 18,s make the best, punchy sub bass. And I love JBL tweeters and comp drivers too. I just dont have time to discuss audio like I used to.

Just the way it is.

Mr. Widget
02-13-2007, 10:26 PM
What I find annoying is 47 new threads a day about crap that has nothing to do with Altec, JBL, or audio in general and very few or no posts because no one here gives a damn about them. That is pure noise and requires unnecessary wading to get through it.

Look guys... since Altec is perfection there is little to talk about. With JBL we have people who genuinely hate them... it makes for a far more dynamic conversation.

...but seriously, this forum is about the legacy of James B. Lansing... Altec included. It makes sense to talk about the products collectively as many use combinations of JBL and Altec and they do share so much in common.

Widget

Nightbrace
02-13-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm not saying to "create" a new site just for Altec, just to talk about the idea of having a separate section, it wouldn't change things that much as there is very little Altec talk, but it might makes things a bit easier to navigate...

And I get the point, it was never a DEMAND, just a thought. I too hate wading through a lot of useless banter. I will admit that a lot of it is my own, although most of the time its merely a response to the useless banter.

Zilch
02-13-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm not saying to "create" a new site just for Altec, just to talk about the idea of creating a separate section..Everybody gets that. No matter how you frame it, it still amounts to splitting this forum into direct competition with one that's presently set up. That's a BAD idea.

Were YOU kicked outta there too?

[Jus' wond'rin'.... :p ]

Nightbrace
02-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Zilch<< I'm a good boy at the Altec forums.. Never had a problem. Just too few people and bot much useful information in comparison to LH, and maybe some of those guys who get nothing out of using the forum would see that there's an Altec section here and make there way over.

I think that by keeping them together it gives a lot of people loyal to JBL license to attack people who enjoy Altec.

And no, I don't think that separating them will create more tension or a division, I think it would be quite the opposite, why else would have brought this up? I think it would just tidy things up a little is all.. But its good that we're at least discussing this. Its not too off the wall.

BTW, would it be okay for me to post the pics and description of my finished S21 "clones"s without the worry of being ridiculed for using such "inferior" components? I did the best I could, and I have to say I am pretty proud at the networks I built (as it was the first time building something like this from scratch), but I just KNOW people will see that I, Nightbrace the destuctor, posted it and everybody everywhere will crawl out of the woodwork and try to pick them apart.

Zilch
02-13-2007, 11:44 PM
BTW, would it be okay for me to post the pics and description of my finished EN3's without the worry of being ridiculed for using such "inferior" components?Start a new thread in DIY, or tie onto the end of one of your several earlier EN3 ones there, and present an exposition of your project, with illustrative pics.

There's no guarantees. I've taken beaucoup boatloads of poo about my projects documented here.

[I've also received plenty of great help makin' them better, too, learning all the way.... :thmbsup: ]

Nightbrace
02-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Start a new thread, or tie onto the end of one of your several earlier ones and present an exposition of your project, with illustrative pics.

There's no guarantees. I've taken beaucoup boatloads of poop about my projects documented here.

[I've also received plenty of great help makin' them better, too, learning all the way.... :thmbsup: ]

Thats true and maybe someone else will see them and want to build some of their own :), I guess thats worth all the insults that you guys can dish out.

Tom Brennan
02-14-2007, 07:29 AM
No seperate Altec section is needed. I don't understand some of the hostility and defensiveness here, you gotta remember that the conventional "high end" jerks think all of us hornies are nuts.

Of course I don't understand the fellas that do the JBL small cone and dome thing; JBL chinless cones and tragic domes being just as bad as anyone else's.

Just jokin'. Kind'a.

boputnam
02-14-2007, 08:08 AM
...I too hate wading through a lot of useless banter. :yes:

There is always an option - to NOT post.

Titanium Dome
02-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Start a new thread, or tie onto the end of one of your several earlier ones and present an exposition of your project, with illustrative pics.

There's no guarantees. I've taken beaucoup boatloads of poo about my projects documented here.

A response to Zilch's post, but NOT a description of Zilch

:smthsail: POO :smthsail: POO :smthsail: POO

Virtually all of us have had our asses wiped here. POO-HOO. :moon:

Some for what they do
Some for what they don't do
Some for what they like
Some for what they don't like
Some for what they have
Some for what they don't have
Some for what they know
Some for what they don't know
Some for what they believe
Some for what they don't believe

At some point you have to accept whom you are and just get on with it. Other people can piss off if they don't like you or agree with your choices. Just be careful about how you show your disdain so you don't violate any forum rules. You can try to be respectful even if others aren't, and you don't have to wallow in front of people to be accepted.

And don't retreat into a separate area to avoid the hounds. Face them on the open ground.

Titanium Dome
02-14-2007, 08:24 AM
No seperate Altec section is needed. I don't understand some of the hostility and defensiveness here, you gotta remember that the conventional "high end" jerks think all of us hornies are nuts.

Of course I don't understand the fellas that do the JBL small cone and dome thing; JBL chinless cones and tragic domes being just as bad as anyone else's.

Just jokin'. Kind'a.

You and your horns should get a room. :smsex:

The name's Dome, Titanium Dome.

:007:

:idea: Instead of a separate Altec section, how about a horns-only section? It could be really dark-looking and super cool with a neon and velvet look to it.

Just jokin'. Kind'a.

Titanium Dome
02-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Oh wait, I'd have to post about my 4430s and S2600s there. Maybe even those darned SVA2100s and 1800s, though they're not manly horns.

And I really loved those corner bass horns of Steve Schell's; in fact the whole horn set up was quite nice.

Okay, nevermind, the horns can stay and so can the Altecs and Zilch's experiments and my thread on the Northridge E50.

Tom Brennan
02-14-2007, 08:55 AM
"You and your horns should get a room."

Come up with something original, I already read that line here this morning.

"The name's Dome, Titanium Dome."

Odd name that, what were your parents thinking?

Robh3606
02-14-2007, 11:05 AM

Just jokin'. Kind'a.

Hey!! Knock it off there!!:D

If you ever get a chance listen to the XPL series. They need a bit of power but the dynamics will surprise the heck out of you.

Rob:)

Zilch
02-14-2007, 12:34 PM
You and your horns should get a room....

:rotfl:

Storm
02-14-2007, 12:42 PM
I know why there is not going to be able to have a separate Altec thread - because all these people want an easier way to find the Altec posts so they can pick them apart and criticize people.

But seriously - why can't we have a seperate for Altec?

Thanks.

-Storm.

scott fitlin
02-14-2007, 12:57 PM
But seriously - why can't we have a seperate for Altec?

Thanks.

-Storm.I dont think we really need a seperate section for Altec, its ok to discuss Altec anywhere on this forum.

But, IF we do get an Altec section, then I want a Gauss section, a TAD section, a Jensen section, a Stephens section, a Tannoy section, an EV section, a Fostex section, a Klipsch section, etc.

Did I leave any out?

Storm
02-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Scott -

That is just being silly. Altec and JBL go together, for sure. Stop with the ridiculous banter.

I guess an Altec section it out of reach.

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

-Storm.

scott fitlin
02-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Scott -

Altec and JBL go together, for sure.

-Storm.Yes they do, and in my place BOTH Altec and JBL work together in the same system, quite harmoniously, I might add.

;)

moldyoldy
02-14-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm a member with more interest in Altec gear than JBL, but I have no trouble navigating the site as-is. I really appreciate all the efforts from the folks that provide the resource, and am embarrassed when crap like this likely makes them wonder why they do it. Criticism of the forum format like this is no different than being invited to someone's home for dinner, then complaining that you don't like what was served, and would prefer to have something else....just plain rude.

The Altec products many of us use have been out of production for a long time now, and applications, tweaks, etc have been discussed to death in this and other open forums. There's simply little left to discuss. New users sporadically appear, get the info they need, and go on with their lives (those that have lives anyway).

Anyone that's tired of being bashed no matter where they go should begin to wonder if there's a reason....

Thom
02-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Every time I see Zilch take a swing or sometimes just a backhand to another poster (further detail isn't needed at this time) I sort of flinch but sometimes you hate to see it but you're glad someone's doing it. I'd be surprised if he doesn't wish it was someone else. I don't really wish to cross sabres with anyone but sometime it's good if someone can do a little policing without getting tottally formal about it. Hopefuly I'm not irritating people as much or more. Personaly I think that most of the transducers discussed on this forum which I start to say "that's not vintage" except I guess the calender would call me wrong, are way different than what you get from his (JBL) methods. Don't dick I'm not throwing stones, I like the forum, and there is a wealth of information on the sight but on the forum most of what is discussed he never saw and whether or not he would approve, I believe, is subject to debate. We may not know enough about his motives to judge what he would and would not approve of. The company, long ago quit caring one way or the other. (this is as it appears to me. I can't state it as absolute fact, although I believe it is) I guess the world has changed so it makes any look backward sort of like a fun house mirror. He never really made money. This might be because he wanted his product to good or it might be if someone had actually shown him how to make a fortune he would have become Morse Electrophonic if that was what it took. I doubt it but we don't know. The way most industries are sort of incestuous. 9 People move from this company to make that company. this design is stolen but it never really gets developed by the company it is stolen from. It's hard to say how many pieces from other companies also came from this beginning, although I'll give you that not too many look like it. Got long winded didn't say much good evening.

Zilch
02-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Every time I see Zilch take a swing or sometimes just a backhand to another poster (further detail isn't needed at this time) I sort of flinch but sometimes you hate to see it but you're glad someone's doing it. I'd be surprised if he doesn't wish it was someone else.Well, you certainly got that part right, Thom.

I don't have the standing to say what I really think, but it's pretty clear a bunch of others see it similarly.

I'm on the verge of putting up a poll; options crafted while on the toilet.... :p

:tribe:

boputnam
02-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Every time I see Zilch ... I sort of flinchAbout...?

...sometime it's good if someone can do a little policing...About...?

Hopefully I'm not irritating people as much or more.About...?

Personally... most of the transducers discussed on this forum ... are way different than what you get from his (JBL) methods.Who, exactly...?

...most of what is discussed he never saw and whether or not he would approve (this syntax confuse me - who is who...), I believe, is subject to debate.I, for one, remain confused. Your pronouns are poorly attributed - are you now talking about Zilch, or JBL, or...?

It is quite important to remember, just because it is on the Internet, does not make it truth.

In all this rhetoric, if you are "questioning" Zilch's motives/actions, I can only offer that he NEVER posts from a position of authority - he is a very altruistic, curious and insightful soul who measures all manner of transducer configuration just for the hell of it. I truly believe he has no agenda, other than to test every damned possible configuration conceptualized, whether it would make sense to JBL or not. He is our "team in the field"....

We may not know enough about his motives...That there, is kinda harsh, dood...

He never really made money. Who, exactly...? I myself have fallen into this bin of not making money at inopportune times...

Got long winded didn't say much good evening.:snore:

Titanium Dome
02-14-2007, 10:12 PM
I know why there is not going to be able to have a separate Altec thread - because all these people want an easier way to find the Altec posts so they can pick them apart and criticize people.

-Storm.

That's a harsh statement that exaggerates your point and insults a number of people who have never insulted you.

Zilch
02-14-2007, 11:16 PM
That's a harsh statement that exaggerates your point and insults a number of people who have never insulted you.It also makes NO sense, Storm.

If members wanted to beat up on Altecs and Altec fans, it'd be one Hell of a lot easier if all of them were posted in one section.

Nor does THIS make any sense:

But seriously - why can't we have a seperate for Altec?Did you not understand the discussion in the 29 posts which preceded your posting that? Or were the reasons discussed there just not good enough for you, maybe?

I'm not attacking you, Storm. It's just that sometimes your posts defy all reason.... :dont-know

Storm
02-15-2007, 12:28 AM
It also makes NO sense, Storm.

If members wanted to beat up on Altecs and Altec fans, it'd be one Hell of a lot easier if all of them were posted in one section.

Nor does THIS make any sense:

Did you not understand the discussion in the 29 posts which preceded your posting that? Or were the reasons discussed there just not good enough for you, maybe?

I'm not attacking you, Storm. It's just that sometimes your posts defy all reason.... :dont-know

:bs:

duaneage
02-15-2007, 05:59 AM
Every time I see Zilch take a swing or sometimes just a backhand to another poster (further detail isn't needed at this time) I sort of flinch but sometimes you hate to see it but you're glad someone's doing it. I'd be surprised if he doesn't wish it was someone else. I don't really wish to cross sabres with anyone but sometime it's good if someone can do a little policing without getting tottally formal about it. Hopefuly I'm not irritating people as much or more. Personaly I think that most of the transducers discussed on this forum which I start to say "that's not vintage" except I guess the calender would call me wrong, are way different than what you get from his (JBL) methods. Don't dick I'm not throwing stones, I like the forum, and there is a wealth of information on the sight but on the forum most of what is discussed he never saw and whether or not he would approve, I believe, is subject to debate. We may not know enough about his motives to judge what he would and would not approve of. The company, long ago quit caring one way or the other. (this is as it appears to me. I can't state it as absolute fact, although I believe it is) I guess the world has changed so it makes any look backward sort of like a fun house mirror. He never really made money. This might be because he wanted his product to good or it might be if someone had actually shown him how to make a fortune he would have become Morse Electrophonic if that was what it took. I doubt it but we don't know. The way most industries are sort of incestuous. 9 People move from this company to make that company. this design is stolen but it never really gets developed by the company it is stolen from. It's hard to say how many pieces from other companies also came from this beginning, although I'll give you that not too many look like it. Got long winded didn't say much good evening.

that was one of the most BIZARRE posts I've seen to date.

Robh3606
02-15-2007, 06:00 AM

-Storm.

There won't be a seperate forum because of the simple fact that we really don't need one. We have done very well for the last 5 years without one. That may change sometime down the road as in "never say never" but for now, I just don't see the need.

duaneage
02-15-2007, 06:00 AM
But, IF we do get an Altec section, then I want a Gauss section, a TAD section, a Jensen section, a Stephens section, a Tannoy section, an EV section, a Fostex section, a Klipsch section, etc.

the world has Audiokarma.org for that already.

SEAWOLF97
02-15-2007, 08:59 AM

yup, I gots no clue as to what it was about. Mebbe if he started a paragraph, now and then, it wud be readable, or not ?

Robh3606
02-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by duaneage http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=150581#post150581)

I understood it as he being James B. and a 2235 not being vintage or something he saw or may approve of.

I think

Rob:blink:

Mr. Widget
02-15-2007, 09:17 AM
That is just being silly. Altec and JBL go together, for sure. I think that's the point.... they do go together and I think most people can appreciate that.

Widget

grumpy
02-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Time to close the thread? -grumpy

Tom Brennan
02-15-2007, 09:59 AM
No.

louped garouv
02-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Time to close the thread? -grumpy

still a solid five or six pages to go....

So....

do the designs (Clones) directly attributable to former Altec or JBL employees who had since moved on deserve a special forum too? :banghead:

grumpy
02-15-2007, 10:07 AM
No.

OK, :D spew on, dudes! (and dudettes)

scott fitlin
02-15-2007, 10:14 AM
We interrupt this program to bring you a special announcement!

Enjoy http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/spam2.gif and soda crackers, lunch for the elite!

And, http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/spam2.gif always tastes better when listening to Altec and JBL!

:coolness:

Tom Brennan
02-15-2007, 10:21 AM
"do the designs (Clones) directly attributable to former Altec or JBL employees who had since moved on deserve a special forum too?"

No but I think GPA, Emilar and Radian are worthy of discussion on this forum. They are certainly part of the Lansing heritage.

I think a discussion of the actual performence of Radian diaphragms in JBL and Altec bodies would be interesting, evidently there are people out there who think JBL drivers that use titanium diaphragms sound better with aluminum Radians in them.

grumpy
02-15-2007, 10:46 AM
I think a discussion of the actual performence of Radian diaphragms in JBL and Altec bodies would be interesting ...

I wouldn't mind seeing that either... perhaps get a reading from a moderater regarding
where to start it (technical, DIY vs. general, related). -grumpy

scott fitlin
02-15-2007, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing that either... perhaps get a reading from a moderater regarding
where to start it (technical, DIY vs. general, related). -grumpyI ordered two radian aluminum phragms for a couple of my 2441,s.

MANY pro,s are telling me they have switched to these, smoother sound, due to the mylar surround. Cant say for sure how they will work out, but, too many guys telling me they have been liking this better.

Definitely worth talking about in DIY once I get em and try em. Heck, you cant beat the price, either!

http://www.entheogen.com/images/smiles/flame2.gif

kingjames
02-15-2007, 12:29 PM
yup, I gots no clue as to what it was about. Mebbe if he started a paragraph, now and then, it wud be readable, or not ?

I don't think so. I have read this 3 times trying to get a meaning from it and I must say I still ain't figured out what he tried to say.

Not to be a smart A** here but I say that altec's have about 2% of loyalty factor here on this forum and should only receive 2% of acknowledgement. Though I will not mock anyone's decisision to own or preference to buy these speakers it is obvious that (at least here) are not much in demand.

I have never heard an Altec and wouldn't mind doing so but even if it turned out that I like them on par with my JBL'S and even if I was to post that acknowlegement here it still would only be 2% of loyalty on that brand on this forum

After being here a while and reading more posts than I respond to I have found the overwhelming majority here like JBL. If I liked Altec's as much as my JBL'S I would not flaunt them here in this forum because I see where the loyalty lies and I would be smart enough not to open myself up to undue criticism.

From what I read here is that the only thing JBL and ALTEC have in common is the last name. Infinity is now a speaker made by JBL and thank God they are not discussed here.

In my world I like JBL and will at times "flaunt" them here but, not to excess , because it gets old to continue telling everyone how perfect my speakers are.

In this forum you need to read to see where most people are coming from and with that in mind, I have one question, Why continue to argue about a brand that has no great following here?

If I had posted a thread on my 250ti's and the majority of the people made remarks to the effect that they weren't all that great,I would argue that they were full of S**T and would have responded in that tone in that thread. Now do you really think I would start another thread to the same effect just to have to defend them again? HELL NO!

When I start thread's, I like one line reply's because, I am too lazy to type and believe me I'm not going to subject myself to posting thread's that I have to defend all the time. Geez, that's too much typing.

I'm not picking on the Altec guys here, only saying that if the concensus here is that they are not particularry cared for then why do you think by throwing them in our faces everyday that it will actually change anything?

It is obvious to me that most people here are a little touchy when their tastes are questioned and then I must say that your intentions should be questioned.

I ask for opinions on what speakers compare to my 250ti's as I don't really know and just want to get a sense of compatibility. I know how they sound obviously since I have them in my house but I will never say you should get rid of your 4435's because my 250ti's sound better. I like my speakers the way they are. If I choose to buy a new speaker I will come here and ask opinions but my ears will be the final judge.

In buying my 250ti's I relied solely on the threads that I read here on their performance. I was able to read through the BU**SH** and decided to get them without hearing them first. My decision to buy them was the best I ever made.

If I ask someone if they like my 250ti's and they tell me "sorry but that speaker is not for me" then that answer is good for me as well. I will not continue to push him to like them because then the answer becomes "hey asshole I already told you I don't like them" then what do you have, you have a person that is now pissed and doesn't care why I think my speakers are so great.

In the end you will not convert many here to the Altec's ,just too many opinion's against these speakers. Good speaker or bad speaker doesn't matter anymore,what matters is how many people you are pissing off about those Altec's. You continue to say yes to Altec and people here continue to say No but somehow you just don't understand that.

I will also ask before you reply to this thread with your guns blazing that you read this thread and understand what I wrote,don't assume something that I didn't say.I can not give an opinion on these speakers because I have never heard or owned them. My reply here is only for those who continue to flaunt these speakers when most take offense to any flaunting.:)

louped garouv
02-15-2007, 12:38 PM
From what I read here is that the only thing JBL and ALTEC have in common is the last name.

I think I must have read the material differently.....

When I start thread's, I like one line reply's because, I am too lazy to type and believe me I'm not going to subject myself to posting thread's that I have to defend all the time. Geez, that's too much typing.

why bother with the darned interwebs then....
nothing but alot of typing on the damn interewb if you ask me....

maybe VoIP will catch on and instead of typing everyone can get on a party line to get information....

In the end you will not convert many here to the Altec's ,just too many opinion's against these speakers. Good speaker or bad speaker doesn't matter anymore,what matters is how many people you are pissing off about those Altec's. You continue to say yes to Altec and people here continue to say No but somehow you just don't understand that.

I think there are a fair amount of folks around here that do use the Altec drivers/woofers/horns and whatnot... depends on what you are looking to accomplish...

(passively aggressively) bashing another member (or discouraging them from posting) because of his desire to be the town crier dosen't really do any good either IMHO.....

Titanium Dome
02-15-2007, 12:57 PM
maybe VoIP will catch on and instead of typing everyone can get on a party line to get information....

Gee, I hope not. :shock:

It's better to write stupid than speak and prove it. Video would be even worse for me.

scott fitlin
02-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Gee, I hope not. :shock:

It's better to write stupid than speak and prove it.:applaud: :rotfl: :rotfl: :applaud:

Just tooo F**kin HILARIOUS!

Dome - 100 pts!

Visitors - 0.

Tom Brennan
02-15-2007, 02:24 PM
KJ----I think a traditional Altec system is much more in line with the notion of "Lansing Heritage" than your JBL direct radiators are. Read some of the history available on this site.

In any event I've owned a ton of both Altec and JBL gear and I come here to talk with and learn from fellow hornies regardless of the gear they use. And I don't give a good Goddam whether you approve or not.

Zilch
02-15-2007, 03:14 PM
I think a traditional Altec system is much more in line with the notion of "Lansing Heritage" than your JBL direct radiators are. Read some of the history available on this site.Seems that's what Thom was tryin' to say, also.... :yes:

kingjames
02-15-2007, 03:55 PM
KJ----I think a traditional Altec system is much more in line with the notion of "Lansing Heritage" than your JBL direct radiators are. Read some of the history available on this site.

In any event I've owned a ton of both Altec and JBL gear and I come here to talk with and learn from fellow hornies regardless of the gear they use. And I don't give a good Goddam whether you approve or not.

Such harsh words!

I come here for basically the same thing though not horned systems but I don't constantly say that my SHIT is better than yours all the time.Maybe when I started the thread about my DIY cabinets I should have labeled it 250ti's cabinet refinishing and by the way their better looking than any Altec cabinets.

You don't need my approval for anything but you should read what I said and not assume something that wasn't there.

This reply was for those who constantly interject how good there Altec's are into any thread about any subject. If you are not one of those than I don't see an issue here. There is nothing wrong in stating one's opinion about anything but when you hijack threads to promote your views of your speakers then I find fault with that.

SEAWOLF97
02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
This reply was for those who constantly interject how good there Altec's are into any thread about any subject.

we don't have anyone like that, do we ?

scott fitlin
02-15-2007, 04:17 PM
we don't have anyone like that, do we ?No.

All those guys are over at the Bose forum.

;)

Zilch
02-15-2007, 05:02 PM
This reply was for those who constantly interject how good there Altec's are into any thread about any subject.As I recall, you were all poised to defend the feckwit underdogs ...

... 'til they kicked you in the teeth. :p

[Everyone deserves a fair chance, albeit but brief.... ]

kingjames
02-15-2007, 05:36 PM
As I recall, you were all poised to defend the feckwit underdogs ...

... 'til they kicked you in the teeth.

[Everyone deserves a fair chance, albeit but brief.... :p ]

tu-che!:p

I will always defend someone's right to post their views but what I will not defend is someone's deliberate attempt to interrupt the Status Quo.;)

Thom
02-15-2007, 07:13 PM
About...?

About...?

About...?

Who, exactly...?

I, for one, remain confused. Your pronouns are poorly attributed - are you now talking about Zilch, or JBL, or...?

It is quite important to remember, just because it is on the Internet, does not make it truth.

In all this rhetoric, if you are "questioning" Zilch's motives/actions, I can only offer that he NEVER posts from a position of authority - he is a very altruistic, curious and insightful soul who measures all manner of transducer configuration just for the hell of it. I truly believe he has no agenda, other than to test every damned possible configuration conceptualized, whether it would make sense to JBL or not. He is our "team in the field"....

That there, is kinda harsh, dood...

Who, exactly...? I myself have fallen into this bin of not making money at inopportune times...

:snore:

I got off in too many directions and I'm back to work so my typing fingers ,both of them, get a little fat around this time. I looks like Zilch didn't have any difficulty understanding the part that he was in. His reply showed he knew. The flinch part, never mind I think you do that well I'm glad it's not me. Nobody wants to fight with the kids on the short bus. No glory. But if they continue to heckle. Next subject. I was saying James Lansing didn't make any money. Harsh? Where did that come from? I think I took that straight from the history. If you go broke. If you borrow to try to keep your doors open. If you take on partners you don't really want to. Maybe I didn't read that right but I think I did. I wasn't saying that the Altec stuff is more like his than current JBL. It might be but I really hadn't thought of it like that. I just don't see that much heritage in the drivers that most on this forum discuss most of the time. I wasn't putting a value judgement on that or anything. Some of the HF drivers are pretty direct descendents and I think you can change magnets and still say that. The edge wound voice coil unless someone else did that first. The 4 inch voice coils that still exist in a few drivers. Most of the drivers on this forum, I guess. But as I see it he designed his drivers for maximum efficiency and then figured out how to linearize them later but that may just have been a product of his time. There was limited power and limited power handling. EV claimed in their literature of the day that the 4 inch coil was a product of the Alnico that they could get at the time (I don't know the truth) (EV claimed that they [EV] had better machining equipment and so were able to make it smaller)
And I'm saying the quality thing even. It may have been a thing with him or it may have been a way to get and keep his customers of the day.

I am amazed to see that many references to other brand diaphragms and complementry refrences with praise! and no explosion. I wouldn't have dared.

JBLRaiser
02-15-2007, 07:17 PM
tu-che!:p

I will always defend someone's right to post their views but what I will not defend is someone's deliberate attempt to interrupt the Status Quo.;)

Really, they do. I mean it. They are awesome. The best I've ever heard. This is the Altec section, isn't it?:barf:

Zilch
02-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Really, they do. I mean it. They are awesome. The best I've ever heard. This is the Altec section, isn't it?:barf:O.K., Raiser, tell the truth, now -- are ya SURE they're better than them stacked L100s you brought in here? ;)

JBLRaiser
02-15-2007, 09:04 PM
O.K., Raiser, tell the truth, now -- are ya SURE they're better than them stacked L100s you brought in here? ;)

It's a tossup:barf: Now, that was a fun thread. Kind of a Storm-like experience. Fortunately for me, I'm a lot older than him and being called on the carpet doesn't result in permanent rug burn.:p

boputnam
02-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Next subject. I was saying James Lansing didn't make any money. Harsh? Where did that come from? I think I took that straight from the history. Me? I truly thought you were referring to Zilch.

...that was one of the most BIZARRE posts I've seen to date.Obviously, I got lost too.

I've proved again, that I should stop trying to read your posts, Thom. I only persist when they are in my area of "moderation oversight".

Ian Mackenzie
02-16-2007, 03:44 AM
About...?

About...?

About...?

Who, exactly...?

I, for one, remain confused. Your pronouns are poorly attributed - are you now talking about Zilch, or JBL, or...?

That there, is kinda harsh, dood...

Who, exactly...? I myself have fallen into this bin of not making money at inopportune times...

:snore:

Me? I truly thought you were referring to Zilch.

Obviously, I got lost too.

I've proved again, that I should stop trying to read your posts, Thom. I only persist when they are in my area of "moderation oversight".

Objection, close it , frustration , banter, waffle.

A moderator's nightmare. I really have trouble understanding how you guys think sometimes.

The impression is you live in a really small place.

Having owned 515's myself there is a certainly something special about the tapestry of the Altec history.

What's lackings on the local front here is a steady flow contributions from those who are capable of articulating the technical aspects of Altec Lansing's innovations many of which have their roots in the Cinema and Pro Sound reinforcement segments. An accurate discussion on this topic with those of their JBL counter parts would be quite revealing.

ie We never see a forum discussion on the Manatray horn and the equivalent JBL product?

For those who think Altec is gone and forgotten well its like the JBL only exists in America thing around here. WTF Are you kidding.

Altec to this day enjoy a serious following in Japan and Asia in hi end audio circles. Altec drivers often fetch far higher prices from collectors and seriously well heeled enthusiasts.

While this forum is dominated by local JBL Consumer interest the Library is a treasure of Altec data.

Zilch incidentally is Giskard's noble understudy.

boputnam
02-17-2007, 10:54 AM
...While this forum is dominated by local JBL Consumer interest the Library is a treasure of Altec data.That was pointed out in post #5 of this very thread. But you'd have to have read the thread to know that - a practice which could also help keep things in context for you.

Ian Mackenzie
02-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Quote: "Our Library has an Altec drivers, cabinets, catalogues and reference section, here: Altec Library at Lansing Heritage Forum (http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/altec.htm)"

I did actually read the entire thread however some of the posts I cannot actually understand!

We seem to have a lots of posts that are impossible to grasp lately.

Written in rambling block and without appropriate structure no wonder threads loose focus and we have pointless sparring over childish back talk. I tend to ignore stuff I don't find appealing or easy to read and understand.

Perhaps this is a issue moderators should pay more attention too.

The re statement of the Library is useful as a general pointer for those glancing at this thread as like a number of other threads I very much doubt anyone with better things to do with their time would care to read anything past the first and last few posts.

Quote "While this forum is dominated by local JBL Consumer interest the Library is a treasure of Altec data."

My actual statement incidentally was in reference to highlighting who the traffic on the forums are as a majority (meaning Local U.S.A residence who are JBL Consumer "users" of vintage JBL equipment) relative to the significance of the Altec Library.

How many read the Library? My guess is not many new members given the type of questions asked.

Of course of number of the foundation members know what's up there because they sourced and kindly donated the data.

Amen.

Nightbrace
02-17-2007, 06:05 PM
This forum has more information on Altec than any other online forum... And the library section is GREAT!

But the harsh reality is that 50 years from now, Altec will be nothing but a relic while a lot of JBL's will still be rockin' on. This I understand. Its almost to that point now :(/

So why not have a "special" place to talk about them while we still can? Not saying what we have here isn't special, it definitely is, and I hope that threads concerning Altec don't continue to become a pissing contest between JBL and Altec in the future as both companies can be appreciated and loved for what they are without the blatant attacks being made.

scott fitlin
02-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Nightbrace, you know what?

Today, in Storms thread, I spoke Altec talk, my 808,s that we use to use as tweeters, which I still have as well as 288-16G,s, and other assorted Altec goods, all my 15,s etc. Well, I did that to some degree, for you to read.

The only thing is, its all the same stuff I spoke about when I first joined this forum. None of it changed, and although I am still an Altec lover, if you searched the archives you would find my Altec talk from the past.

Unfortunately, yes, in 50 years, Altec will be a mere memory of some era long bygone, other companies may still be here in buisiness.

But, you can see, we can talk Altec anywhere on this forum, you like what you like, just dont expect to make everyone feel as you do. However, I share your affinity for Altecs sound. I just get tired of talking about it over and over.

Incidentally, my dad will still tell me stories from time to time about when he was a kid, in the 40,s and they use to ` watch ` the radio when The Shadow was on. He loved radio programs, but, today he has a flat screen Hi Def HT system, and watches DVD,s! Times change, and so do we.

:)

boputnam
02-17-2007, 08:12 PM
...some of the posts I cannot actually understand! I know of this.

...We seem to have a lots of posts that are impossible to grasp lately. Yes, but...

...Perhaps this is a issue moderators should pay more attention too....we do, and whenever that is tried there are concerns over censorship, or arrogance. Neither is intended, but it is the normal reception.

...I very much doubt anyone with better things to do with their time would care to read anything past the first and last few posts. Yea, but that there is a risk - mostly I find there are just non sequiturs that appear, and are best unread.

...How many read the Library? My guess is not many new members given the type of questions asked. I think often the forum is what grabs someone's attention - they may not even (yet...) be aware of the Library. Then, of course, there is the Library (which many of us helped compile) and the Technical Reference section which Techbot/Giskard has/is working so hard to populate. An incredible effort.

Just last week, a long-time reader but new poster was seeking the JBL cabinet construction plans, found our years-ago discussion. He pm'd asking for them without realizing we had made them all available in the Library. There is SO much out here..

Nightbrace
02-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Yes I did read your post about the Altecs. :).

Ian Mackenzie
02-18-2007, 01:47 AM
Appeciate the feedback Bo.

Censorship..not wanting to brow beat on it but in the case in point?

I don't think its about being knee jerk. I meaning really. We are not talking generalities here.

Some people are just plain lazy. They don't think in the normal sense of the word and they make a pests of themselves. You know the rest. I compare it Tolling,... Karp in the dam.

The problem is we, well most of us are very time poor except for those who will write tabloid after tabloid of what ever. I don't think the onus of tolerance rests with majority.

Then we have the senario where someone well meaning makes a good point that is possibly over our heads or is missed because the tabloidian cloggs and blogs a thread and the poor guys gets pissed off because nobody replies.

People are people I guess.

As I undestand it this latest version of the software has a better search engine. I prefer to subscribe to useful threads or store as a favourite.

Ian

Audiobeer
02-18-2007, 09:33 AM
But nobody wants to, there's more discussion about Altec here, but it gets lost in the sea of JBL banter.

I'm all for a seperate Altec section. To me that would be a great improvement.

Mr. Widget
02-18-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm all for a seperate Altec section. To me that would be a great improvement.There seems to be a small group of Altec fans who believe the speakers they are passionate about are being treated like second class citizens. I think most of the Altec fans here appreciate the fact that most of us hold both Altec and JBL in high esteem. Regardless, it seems to me if we made an Altec ghetto it would significantly increase this perceived divide.

We have discussed Altecs and their relevance to Lansing Heritage from day one... recently a small group of dedicated power posting Altec fans have kept the torch burning brightly... I am not sure if all that much new information has actually been added to our discussions here, but then we have had the L100 bashing and other nonsense going on for years too.

Widget

Tom Brennan
02-18-2007, 12:24 PM
"I am not sure if all that much new information has actually been added to our discussions here, but then we have had the L100 bashing and other nonsense going on for years too."

Well most conversation isn't new information but a rehashing of the old; favorite stories are retold and embellished, old arguments are respun with new vigor, you pretend to believe my lies and I pretend to believe yours and so on.

That's entertainment.

Regards

Zilch
02-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Recently a small group of dedicated power posting Altec fans have kept the torch burning brightly... I am not sure if all that much new information has actually been added to our discussions here, ...... the apparent strategy being to spew feckwit drivel upon all but the farthest reaches of the domain.

[Some there, too, even; I can smell it.... :p ]

Some people are just plain lazy. They don't think in the normal sense of the word and they make a pests of themselves. You know the rest. I compare it [to] T[r]olling, ... Karp in the dam.

The problem is we, well most of us are very time poor except for those who will write tabloid after tabloid of what ever. I don't think the onus of tolerance rests with majority.Naw, we confer "credibility" upon them by dint of volume. Now, they want their own playpen.

That'd be fine, if only there were a way to keep them confined within it. The scope of their "expertise" is boundless, alas, extending well beyond matters Altec.... :thmbsup:

scott fitlin
02-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Naw, we confer "credibility" upon them by dint of volume. Now, they want their own playpen.

That'd be fine, if only there were a way to keep them in it. Their "expertise" is boundless, alas, and extends well beyond matters Altec.... :thmbsup:Yep, thats the truth.

Problem is, if we give them that playpen, and they cant get the rest of the forum to come and play with them in it, they will then leave their playpen, and go back into the other areas, preaching the same Altec -vs- JBL all over again.

When I read some posts, it doesnt always appear to me that they want to say how much they love their Altecs, more like how much everyone else should follow them, take their advice, and do what they do, because its whats right to listen to.

:D

Titanium Dome
02-18-2007, 03:29 PM
So there it is: status quo. The equilibrium remains, the balance is maintained. Immersion not division. Inclusion not exclusion. Dilution not concentration. Diversity not exclusivity.

I like it. :thmbsup: I like it a lot. :bouncy:

Now will someone please LOCK this.

Robh3606
02-18-2007, 03:50 PM
OK

I will lock it down per your request. You know of course that as soon as I do someone will want it opened again. :blink: Well they can always start a new thread and we can cover whatever we missed in this first one, or is this the second one:hmm: