PDA

View Full Version : Sound Practices magazine

Steve Schell
02-12-2007, 03:33 PM
I just ran across an ebay auction for the CD compilation of all issues of the late, great, lamented Sound Practices magazine. The auction appears to be conducted by SP publisher Joe Roberts.

For those who don't know, SP debuted in 1992 and literally defined and fuelled the triode / horn DIY revolution of that decade in its 16 issues. My complete stack of SPs is among my most cherished possessions. Now the whole shebang is available for $29. Recommended!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUND-PRACTICES-MAGAZINE-ARCHIVE-CD_W0QQitemZ330087817496QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3284QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

boputnam
02-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks, Steve! Nice one...

DavidF
02-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Steve. I have been interested in looking at some these but the hard copies are long gone.

Davidf

kingjames
02-12-2007, 04:57 PM
thanks for the head's up> I bought the last one. Need some reading material.

Steve Schell
02-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Kingjames, I don't think you will be disappointed. In those issues are dozens of articles that have offered new horizons and helped shape my approach to audio and appreciation of technologies of the past. Many of the articles are quite entertaining and witty as well, notably those by Joe Roberts and Vinnie Gallo.

I looked at the seller's past auctions and he has been offering batches of the CDs steadily. More of them will likely be offered soon.

Tom Brennan
02-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Roberts still owes me dough, I'll bet I'm not the only one.

sfellini
02-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Roberts still owes me dough, I'll bet I'm not the only one.

Yeah well, me too probably, but no matter.
I like to think of it as having "paid it forward".
I'm very sorry to have seen it end so soon.

Steve.

Steve Schell
02-13-2007, 03:08 AM
Tom, a couple of other guys have made the same comment to me. I probably had some issues due as well, but I'm so happy to have the ones I received that the few measly bucks I sent Joe over the years pale in comparison. He did post the articles from the unpublished big issue on his site for a time, possibly as a mea culpa for the unfulfilled subscriptions.

Intrepid audio adventurers unfamiliar with SP might want to poke around in the Wayback Machine archives. The Altec Experimenter's Info (including the essential Jim Dickinson VOTT tutorials) and a few sample articles are well worth the effort to find them.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.soundpractices.com

Tom Brennan
02-13-2007, 07:03 AM
Steve---I don't care about the dough but I think he could'a sat down and sent out letters saying he went bust and was sorry. Would have cost him a few cents a letter and a little time.

When I sold my house I threw out all my SPs and VTVs. I figured I'd never need them again. Now I wish I'd kept them but sometimes you have to clean house so you can aquire new junk.

Anyway it's a shame that SP couldn't make a go while magazines of far less value thrive. I wonder if he was a bad businessman or there's just that limited a market for a magazine about good hi-fi.

boputnam
02-13-2007, 08:10 AM
I wonder if he was a bad businessman or there's just that limited a market for a magazine about good hi-fi.I think the latter. Niche magazines are difficult to keep afloat. Printing and distribution costs require not only (affordable) subscriptions, but advertising revenue, too. It is a tough market.

Thanks again, Steve - I ordered my archives right at your announcement. Look forward to reviewing them...

duaneage
02-14-2007, 08:01 AM
SpeakerBuilder was my all time favorite publication, I subscribed for 11 years straight. When Ed Dell rolled it into Glass Audio, Audio amateur, and some other magazine no one was thrilled. I wish they would have asked us through a reader's survey what to do, I would have gladly paid more each year for such an excellent magazine. I have every issue still and refer to them occasionally, even built some of the projects featured.

I saw SpeakerBuilder magazines for sale in Hong Kong at twice listing price. Clearly there was a market for this publication.

kingjames
02-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Well, I just got my disc today but have a little probelm with it. It appears he sent me a blank disc. Already I'm not liking this deal? How can people be so nieve?

johnaec
02-17-2007, 12:26 PM
It appears he sent me a blank disc.Maybe it's a DVD?

John

kingjames
02-17-2007, 12:29 PM
no it's a cd, I confirmed it being blank by burning a song to it using Nero.

Steve Schell
02-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Yikes! Kingjames, I hope I haven't given you guys a bum steer, and apologize if this is the case. Was the person you dealt with Joe Roberts, the publisher of SP? The text of the auction indicated to me that this would be the case, and I cannot imagine that Joe would send out a blank CD intentionally. Please keep us informed of the results as you seek a remedy.

kingjames
02-19-2007, 11:44 AM
not your fault Steve, I called the guy and his name is Robert's. He made the mistake. He says this happen's once in a while. It would appear to me that you would check a cd before you send it out.

I like when people post things they find for sale and would never hold anyone responsible for posting. If we start blaming people for posting stuff we'll never find any of the goodies.

I believe posting items for sale is an invaluable tool for people looking for JBL speakers, parts and accesories. It should also be noted that listing items for sale is not an endorsement of that product but, only a listing and it is the buyer's responsibility to make sure it is a valid deal.

Titanium Dome
02-19-2007, 11:47 AM
If he got a lot of orders it might just be a slip up. Some ebay auctions generate more action outside ebay when it's easy for the seller to quickly reproduce media for people who want it now.

Heck, even in making one-off CDs for shows and conferences I've labeled a blank disc and taken it with me thinking it was the burned copy. :banghead: That's why I take two now.

OTOH if it appears to be a rip off, keep us informed.

kingjames
02-19-2007, 12:36 PM
your right ti-dome but then this is why you check them. I have done that before myself and this is why I check them. Better be safe than sorry, only takes a second to check.;)

DavidF
02-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Yikes! Kingjames, I hope I haven't given you guys a bum steer, and apologize if this is the case. Was the person you dealt with Joe Roberts, the publisher of SP? The text of the auction indicated to me that this would be the case, and I cannot imagine that Joe would send out a blank CD intentionally. Please keep us informed of the results as you seek a remedy.

I received the copy I bought in just a couple of days and with no problems. 744 pages of info.

David F

carolus
02-20-2007, 10:45 AM
I received the copy I bought in just a couple of days and with no problems. 744 pages of info.

David F
Just for good information.
I received today the CéééDééé after a good seven days (by air mail from Roberts). A CD in "gold" ...in good condition.
Yes, it's "golden information" about Sound Practices.
Steve, I thank you for the hint ....
Allez, salukes.
Karel

Steve Schell
02-20-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm glad to hear that most of the discs are A-ok, though I won't quite rest easy until kingjames' situation is straightened out. I hope that you guys enjoy the contents of SP as much as I have over the years.

kingjames
02-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Steve, Got my cd today and it is filled with some very exciting reading material. Thanks for the heads up! kj.

Steve Schell
02-26-2007, 10:35 AM
That's great news, kingjames- enjoy.

arawak1969
03-05-2007, 04:08 PM
I just ran across an ebay auction for the CD compilation of all issues of the late, great, lamented Sound Practices magazine. The auction appears to be conducted by SP publisher Joe Roberts.

For those who don't know, SP debuted in 1992 and literally defined and fuelled the triode / horn DIY revolution of that decade in its 16 issues. My complete stack of SPs is among my most cherished possessions. Now the whole shebang is available for $29. Recommended!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUND-PRACTICES-MAGAZINE-ARCHIVE-CD_W0QQitemZ330087817496QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3284QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I just ordered mine today.
Looking forward to the info.

thewings
06-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Has anyone been in contact with Joe recently? He took down his ad on Ebay for the CDR. I sent him payment via Paypal and haven't heard or received anything.

NickH
06-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Sp is required reading for anyone interested in tube diy. It second only to Morgan Jones book. A wealth of information.

I know Joe is still active on Joe net, or Joe list, you know what I'm talking about.

I was a whee lad when sp came out. I believe I was in junior high school. I bought my copy about 6 or 7 years ago after someone on yahoo boat anchor group told me about it. He actually sent me 2 cd's. A buddy of mine paid for a subscription to sp many years ago but never got it or a refund. I gave it to him. Apparently Joe left quite a few people swinging in the wind.

He is working for sibilatone selling there gear at all the big audio shows. They have a huge collection of western and RCA theater horns. They seem to have amazing setups of vintage gear at each show. I'm sure Steve knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Nick