PDA

View Full Version : Best $50 I've ever spent

hello9821
01-29-2007, 07:50 PM
I got a call today regarding a craiglist ad I posted. The guy mentioned JBLs. I called back and he said they were JBL L65 Jubals. I asked him how much and he said $50 a component (I also got a Dual turntable and a Marantz receiver). So of course I went to go get them. They're in great shape except for a few small scuffs and minor foam rot on the woofers. They even came with the original JBL folder and manual, a receipt showing he got them secondhand for $500, and they even have sequential serial numbers!!! The best part is that they were $50!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/hello9821a/IMG_1200.jpg

Titanium Dome
01-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Very nice. You got a genuine deal!

Be sure to get the woofers fixed before you do anything else to insure you don't end up ruining the drivers and then have to do a complete recone.

Storm
01-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Sounds like a fishy story to me.

Why would the guy spend $500.00 secondhand - some odd years ago - and only sell them for $50.00?

That makes no sense.

And, if he is smart enough to post on CL - he must know about eBay.

Something about this story does not add up.

Regardless, those speakers look fantastic.

-Storm.

SUPERBEE
01-30-2007, 12:22 AM
He shoots..........

He SCORES!!!

Nice find there. I love when a deal comes together.

hello9821
01-30-2007, 12:37 AM
It did seem kind of fishy... but the guy said that they haven't been used in around 20 years. When I went to pick them up, they weren't even connected to anything. They were just being used as end tables and I think they had lamps sitting on them. I'm going to call around tomorrow to see about getting these beasts refoamed.

Storm
01-30-2007, 12:44 AM
I would go back and get that Marantz receiver.

Are you new to vintage audio or what else do you have in your current setup?

-Storm.

hello9821
01-30-2007, 12:57 AM
I'm pretty new. I'm 16, so I'm budget limited mostly to things that can be found locally.

I currently am running:
-JBL 46212ok
-JBL L65 Jubal (after woofer refoam)
-Pioneer SA-9500 integrated amp
-Pioneer TX-9500 tuner
-Pioneer SG-9500 equalizer
-Denon DN-T635 cd player
-Sony PS-2251 turntable

also, i have this gear, mostly from thrift stores and garage sales:
-NAD 7240 receiver
-Marantz 2250B receiver
-Pioneer SX-570 receiver
-Kenwood KR-4070 receiver
-Concept 5.5 receiver
-Infinity RSIIIb speakers (need refoam)
-AR TSW-610 (need refoam)

spwal
01-30-2007, 07:02 AM
heck,

as long as the marantz works,p you can mow a couple more lawns. go get it.

kingjames
01-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Welcome Hello9821, Nice find. It's nice to see someone so young so interested in JBL'S, A word of warning though,this site can become addicting. Leave now before it's too late!

JBL is a drug unlike any other.Once it's got you it will never let go.There is no known cure.It's easy to diagnose this ailment,if you find yourself surfing Ebay,Audiogon,and Craigslist more than you call your girfriend then consider yourself hooked. If you start lieing about where you get this stuff at then consider yourself hooked.In the end it will just be you and your JBL'S! Don't say you weren't warned.:applaud:

Enjoy your stay here,if you should ever need help in your addiction there are some very smart people here always willing to help.There is one consolation in all of this I guess and, that is ,we are all hooked as well.:bouncy:

SEAWOLF97
01-30-2007, 08:11 AM
Sounds like a fishy story to me.

Why would the guy spend $500.00 secondhand - some odd years ago - and only sell them for $50.00?

That makes no sense.

And, if he is smart enough to post on CL - he must know about eBay.

Something about this story does not add up.

-Storm.

well Strom

not everybody has an eBay account
not everybody wants to box these up and attempt to send w/o damage.
not everybody has a PAYPAL account
some people think a speaker IS BLOWN when the foam rots
some people have enough mnoey that they are not always trying to recoup their investment when the use has been derived.

just because someone has a computer and net access does not always make them smart.

(no,not picking on you , just answering your ?'s)

louped garouv
01-30-2007, 08:52 AM
not everybody wants to box these up and attempt to send w/o damage.

some people have enough mnoey that they are not always trying to recoup their investment when the use has been derived.

I have come across some very good deals locally for the reasons above....

especially when you are dealing with complete speakers about L-100 size and up;

they can get somewhat difficult to handle depending on a person's size, general health, age...

and then some are just trying to let some younger guys get bit by the audio bug too.....

I throughly enjoyed listening to a nice gentleman's heavily modified Dynaco ST70s and the matching preamp with a Thorens TT.SME combination (unsure of the cart) through a mint pair of Altec Boleros when i went to pick up the pair of 890As he was selling..... the ones i bought still need some minor cosmetic and cabinet work...

that's been my experience at least, YMMV

Titanium Dome
01-30-2007, 02:16 PM
My best deals have almost always been local, but the insane deals I've gotten on Performance Series gear all seem to originate in NY state for some reason.

Guy in WNY
01-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Give it a try. I just started to do them last year. IT IS EASY! Don't be fooled into thinking it is a difficult thing to do. Just be patient, go slow, take your time, let things set up before moving on and you'll do great. There are a ton of tips and ideas on refoaming right on this site. And the best part is once you've done a few, even junky rotted foam speakers can be made to sound good again by YOU!

jblnut
02-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Once you've heard a set of hot-rodded Dynacos, it's real hard to go back to solid state :) . My PayPal account is still reeling, but my ears are all :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: .

Go vintage and don't look back (I mean forwards, I think).

jblnut

and then some are just trying to let some younger guys get bit by the audio bug too.....

I throughly enjoyed listening to a nice gentleman's heavily modified Dynaco ST70s and the matching preamp with a Thorens TT.SME combination (unsure of the cart) through a mint pair of Altec Boleros when i went to pick up the pair of 890As he was selling..... the ones i bought still need some minor cosmetic and cabinet work...

that's been my experience at least, YMMV