PDA

View Full Version : Anyone consider doing this??

Robh3606
01-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Have any of you tried to run a compression driver as a dome. I was thinking of an ultimate update for the XPL series and this popped into mind. Don't know if it's feasible or not. Could be fun!

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
01-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Been there, done that... it works well... buy a quality dome mid, why waste the money on the carefully machined phase plug and horn throat.:)

Widget

Zilch
01-28-2007, 04:58 PM
There's the cheap siren/fog horn/railcar-couter ones with no phase plug.... :thmbsup:

Ian Mackenzie
01-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Rob,

It can work. I would use a 4 inch driver though if you are looking for more than an 093. Even without a horn they offer higher sensitvity then the run of the mill domes most of which have very limited power handling and useable bandwidth.

The only good dome mid I know of is the ATC super dome.

Ian

NewZenith
01-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Have any of you tried to run a compression driver as a dome. I was thinking of an ultimate update for the XPL series and this popped into mind. Don't know if it's feasible or not. Could be fun!

Rob:)

Why not try using a diaphragm that was already designed to operate as a direct radiator and simply improve upon its weaknesses?

Besides units like the T030 and 093Ti already have attractive mounting flanges and screens.
You might be pleasantly surprised with the results.
NZ:)