PDA

View Full Version : Is this pink fiber insulation bad for you?

spwal
01-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Just curious.... my room certainly smells like the stuff since i moved them in here. I imagine that the bass does a certain ammount of agitation to the fill, and there is a small vent on the side.

Please let me know if this is a major health concern and please pose some possible solutions. Does keeping the grilles on help?

Thanks

BMWCCA
01-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Please let me know if this is a major health concern and please pose some possible solutions. Does keeping the grilles on help?Yes, which is why most building codes no longer allow occupancy where fiberglass insulation is exposed. I have a friend whose brother worked for Owens-Corning's legal department. He always said the asbestos scare, removal, and suits were nothing compared to what he expected from fiberglass insulation claims someday. He said one fiber ingested into your lungs can cause malignancies. I was so glad to hear that since I helped a buddy build a Meyer's Manx dune-buggy one summer and we ate and breathed the fiberglass dust, and it stuck to every sweaty piece of skin on our teenage bodies. Still makes me itch to think about it. Lucky to be alive almost 40-years later, I suppose. :applaud:

Thom
01-23-2007, 06:15 PM
I find that surprising. It may be true but last I new the stuff was everywhere at the plant. I work at a cement plant (not to be confused with concrete) and a guy from here went to work at corning and he said they had pink stuff like we have dust. (we have dust)I know that particle size has a lot to do with it. It is the smallest particles (I wish I had the sizes handy) that get you. Your lungs are very good at cleaning themselves (unless you smoke) of junk but particles below a certain size your lungs can't clean out. Particle shape is important also sharper is worse. I'll have to look into that. I know things change. There was a time, long after they knew asbestos was bad, when they said no mechanic had ever had health effects from the asbestos from doing brake jobs. That's not what they say today. There are warnings everywhere you might breath silica. Some hazards are in theory and others will get you while you're reading the warning. I have no idea where this one is. I wasn't really aware of fiber glass having a smell. Maybe it's adhesives. They make other material to use in speaker enclosures if someone is concerned about it.

spwal
01-23-2007, 06:30 PM
That is somewhat of an isssue to me...

I have a small room and now my room smells like old speakers, most noticable obviously when i walk in and the windows and doors are closed.

I can borrow my gfs ionizer as well as put the grilles on. But at the same time, this doesnt reconcile the fact that the 19s have alot of exposed pink filling lining the cabinet and a front facing vent.

to be fair i was mucking around in there the other day to put the binding posts on (need to get up and under the lining with bare hands) but we were gentle enough.

Smelling something is one thing.... having the particles floating around in the air when i listen to techno is another.

of course, i could not listen to techno, and its not like i do, im just saying. im being somewhat serious here. I dont want to start spraying hair spray and stuff in there, as my woofers are glued in and i dont want to get crap on the cones.

anyone else concerned with this? adn any potential remedies? i am not in any position to take all of this stuff out and put in new lining. These speakers are in my room to stay... there is no moving them to a vented area to work on them for the most part.

thanks

spwal
01-23-2007, 06:33 PM
by the way, i have a keen sense of smell, which is why i'm sensitive to the possible hazards of the lining. my gf says she doesn't smell anything.

johnaec
01-23-2007, 06:49 PM
As far as I know, the fiberglass itself doesn't smell. Could it be some kind of glue you're smelling instead?

John

Zilch
01-23-2007, 06:53 PM
I would not be concerned. The action of the driver is not as a pump.

The particles, even if suspended, are staying in the cabinet for the most part.

Put the grilles back on to capture what little may be coming out....

Thom
01-23-2007, 06:56 PM
I was under the impression that this was new fiberglass. If this is old I doubt that it is fiberglass that you smell. It seams more likely to me that you are smelling something that calls your fiberglass home. I wouldn't speculate as to whether or not is a life form but I can't remember anybody ever complaining about the smell of fiberglass in the room from their speakers and it's just reasonable that it would give off more order when new than when old. I was going to make a joke about who you leave them to and tell you that legionella is pretty quick but sitting in the room with them that might not be too funny. I think you have to identify the oder first. It could be that you'll need a bleach solution but I can't smell them. I'm not really laughing at you. I realize that this is a serious problem for you, but you've heard all the answers I have. You say you disturbed them, so I'm assuming you would have already seen anything with 4 legs.

spwal
01-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Hi,

You know what i mean... these are big imposing speakers. Really big, if you havent seen them, they are as wide as a fridge and 2/3 as tall. So they are big in my small room.

This is from 1978, original pink fill.

I suppose i should say that they smell... well... old, antiquey. It goes away after you get used to it for a few minutes, and then i take huge nosefulls of air and cant place it, but its there when you walk in the room.

Its not bad... maybe like grandma's basement. These have been in dry storage for 5 years, but they smell slightly musty.

I am most concerned that this may be asbestos or some kind of dangerous material.

So we have 2 sides to the debate now..

Thom
01-23-2007, 08:03 PM
I think your smelling dust. Granny's basement didn't usually have pink stuff. Any odor it may have goes away early in its life. As in before you met these speakers. Granny's basement may have had mold (only a tiny amount of which is toxic, most is rather benign) It may have had rodent wast product and insect waste. I really don't know about critters smaller than that. I don't see what it's going to heart if you spray your favorite essence in there. If you pull a driver you can spray some scented pine sol or clorox spray. I'd spray the glass and leave the speakers dry. Doesn't matter if anybody can smell it it obviously bothers you a lot and that's a pretty simple way to attack it. Or maybe toss one of those car smell good thing in each. If you do get sick and they can't figure out what it is mention something about legionnaires disease.
Or, are you smelling moth balls

Mr. Widget
01-23-2007, 08:54 PM
I know that particle size has a lot to do with it. It is the smallest particles (I wish I had the sizes handy) that get you. Your lungs are very good at cleaning themselves (unless you smoke) of junk but particles below a certain size your lungs can't clean out.I don't know if asbestos is safer or not, but particles in the 5 to 7 micron range are the most dangerous... larger ones are flushed and filtered out, and I guess the smaller ones are absorbed. The problem with asbestos is the shape of it's particles along with the fact that it tends to break down into quite a lot of particles in this dangerous size range.

Whether fiberglass is as dangerous as asbestos or not, it certainly should be treated with respect, and you should always wear a respirator, not a silly dust mask, when working with the stuff.

Widget

BMWCCA
01-23-2007, 09:02 PM
I suppose i should say that they smell... well... old, antiquey. It goes away after you get used to it for a few minutes, and then i take huge nosefulls of air and cant place it, but its there when you walk in the room.

Its not bad... maybe like grandma's basement. These have been in dry storage for 5 years, but they smell slightly musty.One thing I know from old cars is that wherever you store them they'll attract mice to their coziest and most private spaces. I had a mouse family move into a frame cavity, filling it with shreds of U-Haul moving blankets. Talk about a smell! It filled a shop-vac sucking all the shreds out, and picking at them with a hooked welding rod just to unpack the damn stuff. If you've had your speakers with the ducts open to the insulation blanket and they smell, I'd take a look inside and see if a mouse left you some "presents" or perhaps just urinated all over the glass mat. I know how much they love the insulation in my oven! That's a tough smell to get rid of. All the more reason to keep grilles in place. Maybe that's what the kitten in that famous shop photo was looking for?

Thom
01-23-2007, 11:11 PM
I don't know if asbestos is safer or not, but particles in the 5 to 7 micron range are the most dangerous... larger ones are flushed and filtered out, and I guess the smaller ones are absorbed. The problem with asbestos is the shape of it's particles along with the fact that it tends to break down into quite a lot of particles in this dangerous size range.

Whether fiberglass is as dangerous as asbestos or not, it certainly should be treated with respect, and you should always wear a respirator, not a silly dust mask, when working with the stuff.

Widget

If the silly dust mask has two straps instead of one it is defined as a respirator, believe it or not. I'm not sure how they got away with that but for osha and msha requirements by putting an upper and lower strap on the training bra cup they can call it a respirator. Doesn't matter, none of them seal properly over the temple pieces of eyeglasses but I'm guessing that's not what you meant by respirator and I agree and just because you cant get it all doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get some. These days they are starting to talk about silicosis and labeling silica containing things as carcinogens. When ever they do any refractory work at our place there are warning signs for silica but I don't see them treating it like asbestos. They do for the people working with it, but for passers buy it's way different than asbestos.

It looks like everybody is agreement; you aren't smelling fiberglass. Your either smelling something that was used where they were stored to keep unfriendlys away or you're smelling something because nothing was used. If you determine that there is no life taking place or even if there is there are plenty of sprays that should fix it. Fiberglass can handle almost anything, so as long as you don't use something with fumes that will eat your speakers you should be fine. Situations like this usually it's the woman smells it and the guy can't and major arguments are generated. Good luck.

Thom
01-23-2007, 11:24 PM
One thing I know from old cars is that wherever you store them they'll attract mice to their coziest and most private spaces. I had a mouse family move into a frame cavity, filling it with shreds of U-Haul moving blankets. Talk about a smell! It filled a shop-vac sucking all the shreds out, and picking at them with a hooked welding rod just to unpack the damn stuff. If you've had your speakers with the ducts open to the insulation blanket and they smell, I'd take a look inside and see if a mouse left you some "presents" or perhaps just urinated all over the glass mat. I know how much they love the insulation in my oven! That's a tough smell to get rid of. All the more reason to keep grilles in place. Maybe that's what the kitten in that famous shop photo was looking for?

You're lucky if your mice liked u-haul blankets. Mine always went for the insulation on the wires.

louped garouv
01-24-2007, 02:40 PM
This is from 1978, original pink fill.

did the pink fill have a thin black webing pulled over it?

when I had 19s they had a little black cloth covering the pink so you
couldn't see the fiber fill when listenign to them....

I don't worry to much about the fiberglass in my A7s....

Michael Smith
01-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Hi
If you are worried about the pink stuff, piss it off and change it to either foam sheets or tontine.
This will get rid of the problem.
Regards
Michael

Mr. Widget
01-24-2007, 05:37 PM
If you are worried about the pink stuff, piss it off and change it to either foam sheets or tontine.
This will get rid of the problem.
I don't think there is a problem with completed systems... for us DIY types I do think precautions should be taken... As for using alternatives, removal and replacement will disturb the broken glass particles creating more of a potential problem and from my experience fiberglass has a unique damping quality... which I quite like. Replacing it in an existing vintage system will likely alter the sonic qualities of that system.

Widget

toddalin
01-24-2007, 05:55 PM
"And if the Blue Sky Mining Company won't come to my rescue... If the sugar refining company won't save me..., who's going to save me?..."

Ian Mackenzie
01-24-2007, 07:29 PM
I worked in the safety industry for 10 years and never saw a fatality over fibreglass fibres. The actual fibres dont have barbs on them like asbestos fibres. It tends to more of an irritation than anything else.

A face mask and eye protection is recommended and use a Du pont Tyvek jump suit if you and going to be rolling around in the stuff.

spwal
01-25-2007, 08:28 AM
There is a black carpet covering the back near the port. the smell has somewhat subsided. I feel pretty good about running it with the covers on.

Yes, it does smell alot like mothballs now that you mention it...

thanks

macaroonie
01-26-2007, 08:37 PM
If you put a fresh prawn in each cabinet you will not notice the musty smell ever again. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Just trying to be helpful you understand.

rpstephen
01-27-2007, 12:21 AM
:) I worked for 14 years in research at Owens Corning and never saw or heard of any significant health problems with fiberglass. The smell of new fiberglass is mainly due to the asphalt used to adhere the vapor barrier to the pack. There may also be a small amount of residual ordor from the phenolic binder used to hold the fibers together. I did hear that workers who worked extensively in removing old insulations had increased respiratory problems. That said I would definitely wear a dust mask when working with the material especially if its old and dusty.

spwal
01-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the great input people. I know im not the only one out there who is curious. there is alot of pink stuff in there and a completely open port. The smell has subsided, its been about a week since i mucked around in there and i was probably smelling some stuff that went into the air and settled around the speakers.

so can we say definitively what this pink stuff is? do you think GPA will know for sure if it is fiberglass or asbestos?

thanks

Zilch
01-27-2007, 12:43 PM
It ain't asbestos, and the smell was the glue on the crossovers.... :thmbsup:

spwal
01-27-2007, 06:01 PM
hmmm.... come to think of it you may be right... could have been the glue.

Valentin
01-28-2007, 08:07 AM
here is a link of the american lung asosiation where they state this ishu and say fiberglass is safe and does not cause cancer

http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35439

What is Fiberglass (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35439#what)
Is Fiberglass Insulation Safe? (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35439#safe)
What Steps Do I Take To Reduce Exposure? (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35439#reduce)
Installation and Clean-Up (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35439#clean)
What is Fiberglass
Fiberglass is a man-made product that is composed of natural ingredients such as sand and recycled products such as window glass and bottles. The ingredients are melted and spun to create small strands of fiberglass that together form "glass wool".
Fiberglass insulation has been used since the 1930s and is now the most widely used home insulator. As an energy saver, fiberglass insulation saves the consumer money and helps keep buildings warm in winter and cool in the summer. Insulation saves energy and reduces the demand for new power plants, which reduces emissions of air pollutants to the environment and helps prevent global warming. To maximize energy efficiency, it is important to reduce air leaks that may occur around any areas in your home that are not sealed. These may include windows; doors; fireplaces; heating, ventilation and air conditioning ductwork; and perimeter joints. Leaks can be controlled with the use of housewrap, caulking and sealing of areas with leaks.
Fiberglass insulation also helps control noise in buildings, cars, and appliances. Fiberglass insulation is commonly used in furnaces and duct systems that deliver air to occupied buildings and homes and effectively minimizes transmission of noise.
Is Fiberglass Insulation Safe?
Yes, fiberglass building insulation is safe when it is properly installed.
Direct contact with fiberglass materials or exposure to airborne fiberglass dust may irritate the skin, eyes, nose and throat. Fiberglass can cause itching due to mechanical irritation from the fibers. This is not an allergic reaction to the material. Breathing fibers may irritate the airways resulting in coughing and a scratchy throat. Some people are sensitive to the fibers, while others are not. Fiberglass insulation packages display cancer warning labels. These labels are required by the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) based on determinations made by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) and the National Toxicology Program (NTP).

1994- NTP listed fiberglass as "reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen" based on animal data.
1998- The American Conference of Govern- mental Industrial Hygienists reviewed the available literature and concluded glass wool to be "carcinogenic in experimental animals at a relatively high dose, by route(s) of administra- tion, at site(s), of histologic type(s) or by mechanism(s) that are not considered relevant to worker exposures".
1999- OSHA and the manufacturers volunta- rily agreed on ways to control workplace exposures to avoid irritation. As a result, OSHA has stated that it does not intend to regulate exposure to fiberglass insulation. The voluntary agreement, known as the Health & Safety Partnership Program includes a recom- mended exposure level of 1.0 fiber per cubic centimeter (f/cc) based on an 8-hour workday and provides comprehensive work practices.
2000- The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) reported that epidemiological studies of glass fiber manufacturing workers indicate "glass fibers do not appear to increase the risk of respiratory system cancer". The NAS supported the exposure limit of 1.0 f/cc that has been the industry recommendation since the early 1990s.
2001- The IARC working group revised their previous classification of glass wool being a possible carcinogen. It is currently considered not classifiable as a human carcinogen. Studies done in the past 15 years since the previous report was released, do not provide enough evidence to link this material to any cancer risk.

hjames
01-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Yeah, but proper use of fiberglass building iinsulation, at least Home use, is to put it in the wall between studs and cover it with sheetrock. Its covered and contained, at least, until the wall is breeched.

Not quite the same as putting it in a ported speaker where there is inrush and outflow of air as the spoeaker works.

I'm not saying its cancerous - just saying they are totally different usages.

Here is a link of the American Lung Association where they state this issue and say fiberglass is safe and does not cause cancer

http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35439

What is Fiberglass (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35439#what)
Is Fiberglass Insulation Safe? (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35439#safe)
What Steps Do I Take To Reduce Exposure? (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35439#reduce)
Installation and Clean-Up (http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35439#clean)

readswift
12-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Hello, Im about to redo these 4435's from scratch . So what else can I use ? I want to leave out the fiberglass if possible, is there something more "decent" ? I saw a website claiming their machined Ports give better this&that eg. airflow. Are these claims trustworthy?

Valentin
12-26-2007, 09:36 AM
2" open foam like sonex or similar

readswift
12-26-2007, 10:18 AM
open foam = open cell ?

http://www.psp-inc.com/

this is the website i found , but can't remember how. Meanwhile some JBL page popped up too when I was looking for optimised ports , soo...
Are the original 4435 ports available tho ?

MJC
12-26-2007, 11:41 AM
here is a link of the american lung asosiation where they state this ishu and say fiberglass is safe and does not cause cancer

There is no way I believe that.
But there is one thing I know for certain, getting fiberglass in your lungs can cause one to cough up blood, not a good thing.
Back in '75 there was a construction crew doing finish work at the LV Hilton. They were installing, and cutting, fiberglass panels. Many of the crew, if not all, started coughing up blood.

Zilch
12-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Fiberglass is the preferred loudspeaker damping material, according to those who have studied it and alternatives, Dickason, for example.

High density is preferred. I use R-15. R-21, if I want more fill, as in closed-box systems. Thinner is also available; HVAC guys use it, coated on one side for easy attachment to cabinets....

Valentin
12-26-2007, 12:44 PM
r15 an r21 are not high density
3 pound sqr feet is the standard
like OC 703 or roxul AFB or RW40

Thom
12-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Dacron wool is used extensively for stuffing enclosures, but I don't know if it is effective as a lining or not. Since the glass is strands I would think the only danger would be when cutting it. If worried about particles getting away, hairspray might fix that.

Zilch
12-26-2007, 01:03 PM
r15 an r21 are not high density
3 pound sqr feet is the standard
like OC 703 or roxul AFB or RW40I don't believe I asserted they were, in any absolute sense, but they are higher density than the standard R-13 and R-19 home insulation many DIYers use.

Owens-Corning 703, aka "Rigid fiberglass," and equivalents, are also readily available, but not at home improvement centers or lumber yards, typically.

Stuffing a closed-box system with 703 for "Heavy fill" somehow doesn't seem like an optimum solution to me. R-21, I can readily do:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=20249&stc=1&d=1162778659

hjames
12-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Seems to me that if you need more density than R15 or R21 in a cabinet, you'd just stuff more in ... for home insulation use you want to retain still air in the layers of fiberglass "wool" as a thermal buffer, but for sound use, you might want double or triple density packed in there ...

I don't believe I asserted they were, in any absolute sense, but they are higher density than the standard R-13 and R-19 home insulation many DIYers use.

Stuffing a closed-box system with 703 for "Heavy fill" somehow doesn't seem like an optimum solution to me. R-21, I can readily do:

Zilch
12-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Seems to me that if you need more density than R15 or R21 in a cabinet, you'd just stuff more in ... for home insulation use you want to retain still air in the layers of fiberglass "wool" as a thermal buffer, but for sound use, you might want double or triple density packed in there ...I do know from my own experience it's possible to "Overdamp" a vented system with too much.

In one of Dickason's closed-box projects, he did listening comparisons with 703 versus standard insulation, and preferred standard, though it was a close call, as I recall. :dont-know

[See Loudspeaker Design Cookbook for more infos.... ]

mikebake
12-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Personally I like to obsess over everything.

herki the cat
10-26-2009, 11:42 PM
[quote=Thom;145090] If you pull a driver you can spray some scented pine sol or clorox spray. I'd spray the glass and leave the speakers dry.
[Quote ]
----------
[My two cents]
Pine sol is very messy & semi permanent to the extent that__ ultimately it will be pumped into driver voice coil gaps and crossover "pots or switch contacts" in pressurized acoustic enclosure environments.

Worse than that, Clorox is a gooy mess containing corrosive clorine that combines with water to form Hdrocloric Acid fumes to pump into sensitive compression driver "aluminum component" compartments. This stuff is extremely difficult to remove even with soap & water.
--------------------------

take care, herky the cat

jcrobso
10-27-2009, 08:29 AM
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/LS00916
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/LS00385
You can use a spray adhesive to glue it in place.
How much is used depends on the type of box.
If the box is a closed acoustic suspension then the box is filled.
If it's a bass reflex then just a layer 1~2" on the sides and back of the box.
If you use fiber glass use gloves, breathing mask and goggles.

robertbartsch
10-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I've used the poly fill and it works great.

badman
10-27-2009, 10:50 AM
I've used all manner of material. My favorite, by far, is "Ultratouch" cotton insulation. It's a fiberglass alternative that's far less caustic, and has better acoustic behavior.

It's green, too, and pretty cheap. Don't have to wear gloves or a respirator, either, though it does get dusty (as any of these materials do)

duaneage
10-27-2009, 12:36 PM
They make a fiberglass using twisted fibers, it's white and does not shed like the older stuff. It doesn't even make you itch. The glass fibers are crinkled instead of straight. I use it in cabinets and it works great. But it costs more than standard insulation.

Polyester pilliow stuffing works good too. The egg crate foam is actually a fire hazard, it releases lots of toxic fumes when burned. Remember the night club fire in RI a few years back? Fiberglass does not burn.

Another alternative is to paint the fiberglass over to minimize fiber launch into the air. I've done a few cabs this way, also painting the glass black makes it invisible through the ports.

jcrobso
10-27-2009, 01:30 PM
They make a fiberglass using twisted fibers, it's white and does not shed like the older stuff. It doesn't even make you itch. The glass fibers are crinkled instead of straight. I use it in cabinets and it works great. But it costs more than standard insulation.

Polyester pilliow stuffing works good too. The egg crate foam is actually a fire hazard, it releases lots of toxic fumes when burned. Remember the night club fire in RI a few years back? Fiberglass does not burn.

Another alternative is to paint the fiberglass over to minimize fiber launch into the air. I've done a few cabs this way, also painting the glass black makes it invisible through the ports.

Fiber glass does not burn, that is why it is used for building insulation. But in general for speaker cabinets flame prof is not a requirement, unless you are one of those the likes to smoke your woofers.:blink:

duaneage
10-27-2009, 01:48 PM
A large pair of speakers filled with acoustic foam would add deadly fumes to a house in the event of a fire, far in excess of normal. And the stuff really catches. It's best not to use it in an environment where it could cause a problem. Even the paper backing on insulation has to be covered and not exposed for fire safety.

JBL 4645
12-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Yes, which is why most building codes no longer allow occupancy where fiberglass insulation is exposed. I have a friend whose brother worked for Owens-Corning's legal department. He always said the asbestos scare, removal, and suits were nothing compared to what he expected from fiberglass insulation claims someday. He said one fiber ingested into your lungs can cause malignancies. I was so glad to hear that since I helped a buddy build a Meyer's Manx dune-buggy one summer and we ate and breathed the fiberglass dust, and it stuck to every sweaty piece of skin on our teenage bodies. Still makes me itch to think about it. Lucky to be alive almost 40-years later, I suppose. :applaud:

Yeah I should say so.

I don’t even like the stuff since I suffer from Psoriasis for the past 27 years. I have to deal with my fair share of itching and scratching.

Last time I was around fibreglass was when my dad and I was installing bundles of it for sound insulation around mid late 1990’s. I was itching for the rest of the day, I was bitching and moaning all the time, and my dad was getting feed up at my bitching.:D

It doesn’t seem to bother him, but then he doesn’t have to worry about Psoriasis 24/7.
:happyh::tree:

Allanvh5150
12-06-2009, 09:46 PM
I am not sure what sort of fibre glass you guys are talking about but the stuff we have down here is super low allergenic. If you are carefull when handling the stuff, you dont need a mask or gloves. Glass being glass is a very clean product. The fibres are so small that, believe it or not, the body acyually disolves them. Unless you are talking about ingesting a few cups of the stuff a day, medicaly speaking there are no issues with it appart from a bit of itching under certain circumstances.

Allan.

P.S. A hot shower will solve the itching problem.

BMWCCA
12-06-2009, 11:28 PM
I am not sure what sort of fibre glass you guys are talking about but the stuff we have down here is super low allergenic. If you are carefull when handling the stuff, you dont need a mask or gloves. Glass being glass is a very clean product. The fibres are so small that, believe it or not, the body acyually disolves them. Unless you are talking about ingesting a few cups of the stuff a day, medicaly speaking there are no issues with it appart from a bit of itching under certain circumstances.

P.S. A hot shower will solve the itching problem.I wouldn't make such statements so glibly. Let me reiterate what I wrote in this thread nearly two years ago: Owens Corning has a pot-full of lawyers just to handle lung cancer cases related to fiberglass. And that's in addition to the lobbyists they employ to keep from having fiberglass regulated as a carcinogen. No construction code I'm aware of allows exposed fiberglass insulation and they are all specific about requiring covering the insulation to avoid exposure. Itchy skin is the least of the issues. Lung cancer even beyond the rate of incidents from asbestos exposure has been the problem for at least the past thirty years. A good friend's brother makes a tidy living as an attorney for Owens Corning, that's how I know about it. ;)

Be safe working with fiberglass and treat it as you would any potentially dangerous material. At the very least you should wear a respirator or mask when working with glass fiber, keep it way from children, and seal your work to ensure the fiber cannot be transferred into the air.

Allanvh5150
12-07-2009, 02:40 AM
As I said, the stuff you have there must have other bad stuff mixed with it. The product we have here is totaly safe and has "NEVER" in this country been shown to be a carcinogen. Asbestos, on the other hand, is a totaly different kettle of fish.

Health effects from exposure to fiberglass can be different depending on the fiber size and type of exposure. Larger fibers have been found to cause skin, eye and upper respiratory tract irritation. There are other possible health effects:

A rash can appear when the fibers become embedded in the outer layer of the skin. No long-term health effects should occur from touching fiberglass.
Eyes may become red and irritated after exposure to fiberglass.
Soreness in the nose and throat can result when fibers are inhaled. Asthma and bronchitis can be aggravated by exposure to fiberglass.
Temporary stomach irritation may occur if fibers are swallowed.
Little information is known about the health effects caused by small fibers. Smaller fibers have the ability to reach the lower part of the lungs increasing the chance of adverse health effects.
People who work with fiberglass or who have worn-out duct work lined with fiberglass in their homes or workplace may have long-term exposure to fiberglass. There is no evidence that fiberglass causes cancer in people. Animal studies have shown an increased risk of cancer when fiberglass fibers were implanted in the lung tissue of rats, but these studies are controversial because of how the fibers were implanted. Based on these animal studies, the International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified some fibers used in fiberglass as possible human carcinogens (cancer causing agents).

We have used the stuff here for as long as I can remember and I have recently spoken to a medical advisor reguaring the issue and there have not been any cases here, that he is aware of, relating to glass fibre.

Allan.

BMWCCA
12-07-2009, 02:59 AM
We have used the stuff here for as long as I can remember and I have recently spoken to a medical advisor reguaring the issue and there have not been any cases here, that he is aware of, relating to glass fibre.Obviously your insulation manufacturers have a good legal team on the job, too! :D

JBL 4645
12-07-2009, 11:06 AM
If you’re going to handle fibreglass for long hours, ware one of these then afterwards wash it!
I’d ware one of these to keep all itchy fibreglass particles from coming into contact with skin! Sorted!;)http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

http://www.bluestar-forensic.com/img/bluestar/combinaison.jpg
Then again neighbours will start wondering what your doing in forensic clothing around the front entrance of the garage?

You’d have to just say. Hi-Fi speaker building is a forensic science.:D

12-07-2009, 11:50 AM
If you put a fresh prawn in each cabinet you will not notice the musty smell ever again. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Just trying to be helpful you understand.

Now that's funny! Iv'e told this story before, but "fresh prawn" just makes it pop right out again...

Heard a local DJ, who happened to be a "rock star" back in the day telling this on the air. One night after a catered show, with several bands, they dumped all the left-over shrimp into one of their speaker cabs (right on the fiberglass for all I know), to take it home. During the load out, that cab got mixed up with one of the other bands identical cabs... He said the guy still gives him evil looks when they meet today...

JBL 4645
12-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Now that's funny! Iv'e told this story before, but "fresh prawn" just makes it pop right out again...

I guess that’s not as bad seeing snails inside JBL speaker cabinet. Put prawns, no.
Ummmm this JBL smells fishy?
:rotfl: