PDA

View Full Version : Two ways (and cheap) active crossover - kind advice requested

beppe61
01-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Dear Sirs,

I would like to experiment with biamplification.:)
So I need a two ways stereo active crossover (better if equipped with unbalanced INs/OUTs and if it could work as a line stage as well).
I have already read the 3Ds mentioning the unacceptable low sound quality of Behringer analog crossovers.:o:
I am looking for advice about units that have a really remarkable quality/price ratio.
I would like to get a nice sound, a sound that I understand Behringer units could not give.
Thank you very much indeed.
Kind regards,:D

beppe

Roddyama
01-06-2007, 09:48 AM
If your truely ready to experiment, your selection of speakers will far out weigh (in sound quality / dollar spent) your selection of active crossovers. Once you have selected the speaker you want, for the sake of experimentation, find the most flexible active crossover for the money, like a Behringer or Rane off eBay for $150USD. This will allow you to play with different xover points and slopes until you find what works best. Than you can go looking for the perfect sounding active crossover.

Of course, than there's the amp selection.:blink:

beppe61
01-06-2007, 10:17 AM
If your truely ready to experiment, your selection of speakers will far out weigh (in sound quality / dollar spent) your selection of active crossovers. Once you have selected the speaker you want, for the sake of experimentation, find the most flexible active crossover for the money, like a Behringer or Rane off eBay for $150USD.
This will allow you to play with different xover points and slopes until you find what works best.
Than you can go looking for the perfect sounding active crossover.
Of course, than there's the amp selection.:blink:

Thank you very much indeed Sir for your kind and valuable advice.
To be honest I had the cheap 2 ways stereo Behringer unit in my mind, just to start experimenting, but the very negative comments on the forum has worried me.
Your opinion seems less negative overall. Am I right ?
I will carried out the drivers selection with a friend who has a nice collection of JBL pro drivers.
Moreover amps are not a problem.
I already have a nice sounding 10 W/channel integrated amp that I would like to use on the mid-high section and a very strong 160W/channel for the bass section.
By the way do you rate Rane higher than Behringer ?

Thanks again and kind regards,

beppe