PDA

View Full Version : Concert Vault

jblwolf
12-22-2006, 01:05 AM
:applaud: PRETTY COOL SITE -htt://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com

Steve Schell
01-01-2007, 05:32 PM
An entrepreneur bought Bill Graham's warehouse full of old posters and other artifacts a while back. Also found was a mind-melting collection of master tapes of concerts produced by Graham over the years.

When I last checked in several months ago, the "Wolfgang's Vault" site was streaming a playlist of about 90 songs from these tapes; the list changed weekly. This music has mostly never been heard since the original concert, and much of it is incredibly good. There is music here from just about everybody you liked in the 1960s and '70s.

I looked in yesterday and the song list has been expanded to 200 songs. Even better, about 250 complete concerts are available for streaming. I believe they are revving up to sell these recordings, but for now they are available for free!

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/

Edit: Oops, I just saw JBLwolf's thread further down. I guess great minds think alike.

hjames
01-01-2007, 08:12 PM
An entrepreneur bought Bill Graham's warehouse full of old posters and other artifacts a while back. Also found was a mind-melting collection of master tapes of concerts produced by Graham over the years.

When I last checked in several months ago, the "Wolfgang's Vault" site was streaming a playlist of about 90 songs from these tapes; the list changed weekly. This music has mostly never been heard since the original concert, and much of it is incredibly good. There is music here from just about everybody you liked in the 1960s and '70s.

I looked in yesterday and the song list has been expanded to 200 songs. Even better, about 250 complete concerts are available for streaming. I believe they are revving up to sell these recordings, but for now they are available for free!

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/

Edit: Oops, I just saw JBLwolf's thread further down. I guess great minds think alike.

Yes, there have been recent stories on this on NPR and CNN - I'm not gonna debate copyrights or anything like that, but it seemed when he bought the Bill Graham archives, it took 10 tractor-trailers to haul it all away. Old posters and T-shirts and all kinds of stuff Graham had saved from the real early days of the Fillmore and such ...

Thats one thing, but the recent stories are that he's been sued by management of some of those classic bands because they say he is making new items with the logos of those classic bands (brands?) ...
New coffee mugs and shirts and stuff for sale ...

I believe Santana and Grateful Dead were mentioned in the story as folks who's intellectual property were in jeopardy.

Steve Schell
01-02-2007, 02:47 AM
Hi Heather,

Thanks for your comments. I looked around on the web, and found plenty of references to the recent lawsuits. It is an interesting question- should the owner of these tapes be restricted from giving the music away for free? I'm sure the bands and record companies who are suing cringe at the prospect of any music getting out there without their profit participation, but in this case there's no profit to be had.

Am I just getting old, or does most music these days just suck out loud compared to the Concert Vault stuff? I've found it difficult to find a bad cut anywhere in this vast archive. I'm sure the free Concert Vault streams are much too good to last, but I'm gonna listen to as much of it as I can while it is still up.

Hoerninger
01-02-2007, 05:51 AM
I'm sure the free Concert Vault streams are much too good to last, but I'm gonna listen to as much of it as I can while it is still up.

Steve,
thank you for the tipp, it's still running. After som tries I've got it - Sign in, Flash + Javascript.
There are more than 300 concerts right now, interesting for European ears too. Chuck Berry, Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Beach Boys to name a few.

hjames
01-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Hi Heather,

Thanks for your comments. I looked around on the web, and found plenty of references to the recent lawsuits. It is an interesting question- should the owner of these tapes be restricted from giving the music away for free? I'm sure the bands and record companies who are suing cringe at the prospect of any music getting out there without their profit participation, but in this case there's no profit to be had.

Am I just getting old, or does most music these days just suck out loud compared to the Concert Vault stuff? I've found it difficult to find a bad cut anywhere in this vast archive. I'm sure the free Concert Vault streams are much too good to last, but I'm gonna listen to as much of it as I can while it is still up.

I know what you're saying ... I have found a few newer artists that I can listen to, but many ... ack!

One things I found interesting over the last few years. There was a huge online concert archive for the Grateful Dead. of course, back in the old days they encouraged folks to plug in to the Tapers feeds and there was a huge number of folks trading tapes of old Dead shows - I fully believe its one reason the Dead had such a long life and such gung-ho fans. And in the internet era, it just made sense for the tapers to create an online archive of all the old shows, strictly a non-profit exchange.

Of course, once Jerry Garcia died there was a lot less interest in the Dead as an ongoing band. They even changed the name to reflect that they weren't the same band, exactly, but the big concert venues and road tours were a thing of the past at that point.

Well, a couple of years ago there was some legal action from the Grateful Dead, INC and all those online archives were shut down. The Grateful Dead is more in the business of selling those old archives now, and I'm sure all the free trading impacted their sales ...

Again, I make no comment on the right or wrong of that, and I'm certainly glad I got copies of the shows I attended (one of which was a regular purchase through the Dead organization), but it IS a change from how they used to handle things ...

Heck, I'm willing to buy shows to support the bands - I'd much rather do that then see all that great classic rock music used for TV ads ...
(say, using Casey Jones to sell Amtrack tickets - might not work so well!)

But who'd a thought LedZep could be used to sell Cadillacs?

jim campbell
01-02-2007, 09:29 PM
there is good new stuff out there but you really have to look.the small indie labels and low budget live acts somehow manage to survive amid the corporate sponsored duck---- that passes for music these days.remember when we were young and went out to see live music all the time.................thats where it lives

Donald
01-03-2007, 07:12 PM
But who'd a thought LedZep could be used to sell Cadillacs?

Or The Who used as TV show themes.

jblwolf
01-04-2007, 04:32 AM
I found a few mirror site that are letting you download the complete concerts,360 concerts and counting-KEEP IT COMING;)

Titanium Dome
01-04-2007, 07:53 AM

Or Roger Daltry starring on one of said shows.

hjames
01-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Or Roger Daltry starring on one of said shows.

Oh, Daltry is a ham from way back ...
see his many TV and movie roles (over 50!) at - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002032/

He was hilareous as "Hugh Fitzcairn", a drunken rogue on the Highlander TV series on a few episodes between 1996-98.

SEAWOLF97
01-04-2007, 08:53 AM

Or the Stones to sell Windoze 95.

Mr. Widget
01-04-2007, 09:03 AM
I merged the two threads... now there is one Vault Thread... thanks for sharing this info... I popped over there and snooped around. Pretty cool.

Widget

spwal
01-09-2007, 08:35 PM
if you havent been to www.archive.org you have been missing out.

miss james... gotta love that kottke gordon 66 steps cd, quite a recording :)

hjames
01-10-2007, 05:34 AM
if you havent been to www.archive.org (http://www.archive.org) you have been missing out.

miss james... gotta love that kottke gordon 66 steps cd, quite a recording :)
Thanks for the tip - I'd love to give it a listen, but ... ouch - thats one of the infamous Sony Rootkit CDs - darned Sony records! That stuff opens big backdoors on consumer PCs.
I have a Mac and that stupid software can't infect/affect my computer, but I flat out will not support companies with that kind of cavalier attitude towards the consumers. That attitude of "kill the hand that feeds you" is nuts!

I do have an iPod and do load stuff I own so I can listen to my favorites in the car, but I don't sell or trade commercial releases.

Sigh ... I'll have to wait for a re-issue without the Sony hacker damage.

On another tangent - I have checked out the Internet Archive! Its where bands can post recordings of their shows to generate fan ground-swell (among other things ...).
You can stream music (like radio), download it, burn CDs, whatever - I found a number of concerts by west coast neo-psychedelic-surf band "The Mermen" there ... click my Now Playing link below to see what I mean.

spwal
01-10-2007, 01:21 PM
you can get shows as soon as later that evening.

if you are into jam band music, then you probably have already been there. it is the site of sites for live music sharing.