PDA

View Full Version : another curve junkie is hatched...

grumpy
12-22-2006, 08:40 PM
First set of measurements (4430 pair) with plenty of "issues"... simple goal
was to use the equipment (S30 Earthworks mic, MOTU Traveler firewire i/f,
and Fuzzmeasure software) to balance the timbre (essentially calibrate the
markings on the controls). Large suckout is room/floor (not there with a
close mic position) ... distance from mic to 2344 was only eyeballed.

Still need a tripod (instead of a chair and pillows), but already having too
much fun with this. More plots to document my mistakes publicly to come :)
In other words, don't make to much out of this initial plot although comments
are certainly appreciated.

I should add that bothering to do this really did help imaging snap in a bit more.

-grumpy

Zilch
12-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Still need a tripod (instead of a chair and pillows), but already having too much fun with this. More plots to document my mistakes publicly to come :)Mic stand and mini-boom will make a big difference. $35 - $50, depending upon quality, at Guitar Center or equivalent. :bouncy:

Post details about your gear/software choices and costs, please, for the benefit of others considering taking the "Leap."

[We see your 4430 bass playin' down there below 30 Hz. Heh, heh.... :p ]

moldyoldy
12-23-2006, 12:03 AM
.....snip.....[We see your 4430 bass playin' down there below 30 Hz. Heh, heh.... :p ]

Yeah, room gain makes good bass plots....;)

Glad you're having fun, Grumpy, it'll get worse before it gets better. You can get every bit involved in the measurement process as you can your speakers. Soon it'll become a question of "is that real, or is that room?"

I've been trying to master Sample Champion here lately, so I can do impulse response and psuedo-anechoic tests. I still have a lot to learn, either I'm dumbing down with age, or Sample Champion isn't extremely user-friendly, likely some of both.

Glad to hear you started with a good interface, standard PC soundcards often can't duplex like you need. (plug it in to your stereo and you'll be surprised how good high bitrate MP3s can sound too!). I'm using a firewire Edirol now, 24/192 with 0 latency, comprehensive I/O, and works with my laptop too. Spent a week researching and shopping, decided it (FA-66) was the best under $300, and you had to spend a lot more to get much better. Does some mighty-fine high-def recording too.

You'll know you're hooked when you notice the neighborhood dogs don't come around anymore (chirp, chirp)!;)

boputnam
12-23-2006, 09:16 AM
...it'll get worse before it gets better. You can get every bit involved in the measurement process as you can your speakers. Soon it'll become a question of "is that real, or is that room?"
Yea, but it's great to be able to learn what the different response curves sound like, and "see" what it is you like vs not like.

When I first started this, I didn't appreciate the importance of a flat response - I was a child of the "Loudness" contour era. As I retrained my ears, and could hear what I was missing, seeing the curves became more and more interesting.

What EQ are you using?

Also, as you "fix" the response, try and do more "whack a mole" than filling holes, if you know what I mean. Overall, less is more with EQ...

grumpy
12-23-2006, 09:07 PM
What EQ are you using?

If that ?'s for me, none. I have some 539's I play with now & then but they don't stay
in my system (need to punch out the rears and put XLRs in). I was only adjusting the
4430 controls...which need some serious cleaning or replacement.

Test tone is a logarithmic swept sine (using FuzzMeasure Pro 2 ... which appears to
be currently on sale for $100).

Bought the S30 mic through the Smaart direct sales site (came drop-shipped from
Earthworks).

Firewire I/F came through the online version of Guitar Center (MF). Both it and the mic
are overkill, but I'm OK w/ that :D.

-grumpy

boputnam
12-24-2006, 10:52 AM
If that ?'s for me, none. Oh, OK. You'll have some fun if you get one in the signal path.

Bought the S30 mic through the Smaart direct sales site Yea, they offer best pricing on the Earthworks mics and the USBPre, if you go that route.