PDA

View Full Version : USPS insurance claim = good news

Steve
12-18-2003, 02:17 AM
Aloha
In an earlier post below I had written how a pair of JBL 4311 speakers, my typo showed 4310, arrived with damaged front cabinet corners. I had taken picts of the damaged box before I opened them and during the unpacking. I took all the info to the US Post Office along with estimates for repairing the damage.....That was just about 2+ weeks ago. I was told at the post office at that time that the insurance claims dept. was being moved and changes were being made so figure extra time for them to get to your claim. I hadn't expected anything for at least 3 months at least.
The claim funds arrived last Sat. Just under 2 weeks after mailing and for the full amount of the repairs.
I am very impressed and happy.....now if the speakers can arrive undamaged in the future so as to not need the claims dept.

Steve

aust-ted
12-26-2003, 11:19 PM
Steve

I am glad you were able to satisfactorily sort things out with the USPS.

I recently read the back posts on this thread and still am amazed with the bad service UPS seem to offer. What I do not understand is how they manage to stay in business with a litany of damaged goods and refusals to make good unless they packed them.

I live in Australia and have bought a number of JBL items off ebay and have always had them shipped by USPS, sometimes by air and other times by surface. Got a little damage a couple of times when an item was not packed properly but generally the service was reliable and items arrived ok. I always have packages shipped insured as it costs little and protects me from fraud.

I noticed that some sellers object to sending by USPS surface as it takes so long. My position is that where the cost of shipping is high relative to its value it pays to be patient and wait the 8 to 12 weeks it takes to get to Australia from the US. Should not be a seller concern provided the buyer has an idea how long it takes so he does not nag the seller.

UPS, apart from its high damage rate is prohibitively expensive to ship from the US to Australia. I would like to know why so many eBay sellers only ship by UPS and object to the USPS.

Regards
Aust-ted

boputnam
12-27-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by aust-ted
... I would like to know why so many eBay sellers only ship by UPS and object to the USPS. Hey, ted...

I can't speak for anyone but myself. USPS does give good, although slow results. I think the objection lies in having to queue to ship. With UPS you can create shipping labels on-line, and drop-off or arrange for pick-up (at the work). More convenient. Every time at USPS I queue for at least 30-minutes. Just tedious, is all... :yes:

aust-ted
12-27-2003, 02:32 PM
Bo

Thanks. I guessed as much. I noticed that it is usually professional sellers who object to USPS, even to Hawaii and Alaska.

Regards
Ted