PDA

View Full Version : 511-b Horns

Don Ells
12-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Is there anybody who makes new 511-b horns?

speakerdave
12-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Why would you want new ones (and why would anyone make them) if they are so widely available used?

David

Don Ells
12-10-2006, 05:26 AM
Dave, I guess the question should have been who sells new 511 horns.

Thanks,Don

JBLRaiser
12-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Dave, I guess the question should have been who sells new 511 horns.

Thanks,Don

'NOW', not new. At least three horns or horns and drivers are on Ebay now. Just search Altec 511B under Vintage audio.

And Great Plains Audio will sell you 'NEW' , made to original specs, diaphagms.

http://greatplainsaudio.com/

speakerdave
12-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Well, I didn't help clarify anything by ending my first post with the word "new" instead of "used," which is what I meant. I've edited my post and made the correction.

David

JBLRaiser
12-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Well, I didn't help clarify anything by ending my first post with the word "new" instead of "used," which is what I meant. I've edited my post and made the correction.

David

minds.:blink:

speakerdave
12-10-2006, 01:04 PM
It's also about reading. Reading, we anticipate, so when phrases begin down expected tracks sometimes we quit before we get to the end, knowing we know what is being said. So, the word I meant may have been "read" even though it wasn't there in the post.

David

Thom
12-10-2006, 01:44 PM
The prices are all over and they are very common. Also they can cost more to ship than to buy if you get a good deal and it isn't down the street. If you aren't in a hurry look for some not far from home on a week when someone else doesn't think they'll die if they don't get them. If you let a set go by there will always be more. I just got a set for $40.00 but because of where they were and such it didn't turn out to be such a good deal after all. Keep your eye on the shipping with those things.

Gary L
12-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Even if some company did make them brand new from the original castings I think you will find good used ones to be the bargin here!
A friend and member here has a pair on ebay right now that are gorgeous and ready to sing. Please don't even try to tell us that a new pair will sound better then a good used pair:barf:

Gary