PDA

View Full Version : Mcintosh Preamp opinions

Audiobeer
05-08-2003, 09:13 PM
I fell into a deal with 3 preamps. I haven't hooked any of them up. What happened is I got a heck of a deal on a Mcintosh 2255 amp. I then went to audiogon, Ebay and other sources and bid on 3 preamps. A Mcintosh C-32, C-33 & C-34. Anyone familiar with these? To make a long story short after placing the bids with Sniping software my Mother had a stroke so I was at the hospital all the time. I couldn't monitor the auctions so I ended up with 3 preamps. Any Mcintosh experts familiar with these and have a preference? P.S. Mom's ok but She has a real tough road ahead.

scott fitlin
05-09-2003, 04:25 PM
first, im glad your Mom is ok. Now onto Mc! The Mc preamps are good. My dad had the C-32 and my uncle had the C-34. These pre,s sound good and clean. They were reliable too!

Mc has a sweet sounding mid/high. And as long as they are totally working and in good condition they will play as well today as they did years ago! DO NOT be surprised if you find these preamps actually sound beter then preamps manufactured today! They have good tonality.

Audiobeer
05-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Thanks Scott! I'm looking Forward to hearing what different JBL monitors will sound with this setup compared to what I had. I read this week that Mcintosh is being Sold to the same company that owns Marantz! I hope they keep thier service intact. It's nice calling them up and ordering a piece of glass for a faceplate or knob for a 30 year old amp or preamp. I hope they continue with that sort of service.

korgroenewoud
05-11-2003, 04:05 AM
Hello,

I own already for more than 20 years Mcintosh products.
If you start with them every other amp is not important anymore.

I used the 2255 too. Its a very good sounding amp with an awful lot of power. I used it in combination with the preamp c 29. In the eighties, they used that generation of preamp with the MC 2255.

The C34 was used withe the later MC 7270. I would advice you to use or the C33 or C34. The C 32 is a very old design. In that time it was very good. But the 33 and 34 uses newer technology. The result can be herard.

Kor

IDF
05-25-2003, 04:01 AM
Hi Audiobeer,

I am the proud owner of a Mc C34V for almost 15 years. I totally agree with these gentlemen. This preamp is very well built, reliable (you'll only have to replace the faceplate bulbs every 10 years), it sounds very good and accurate. I buyed it second hand, but after all these years it yet looks new and it never lost any of its qualities.
I have also several others McIntosh products as a 7200 amp, 2255, CD7007, MR78 and it's always a new pleasure to listen to them on the 4343 set.
Be happy with it.

Greetings

Philippe

Audiobeer
05-25-2003, 10:58 PM
Well actualy I'm down to the 32 and the 33. The 33 is at Mcintosh getting repaired. The 34 was the one I won on Audiogon auction site. The seller "Nino" calls Me on Mothers day after We worked out the shipping costs (She dictated it I agreed) and states that She has done a lot of research and perhaps the $750 for the preamp in good shape without cabinet was to cheap and before She left to visit Her family overseas She wanted to know how much more I would pay. Needless to say after leaving my response in the form of negative feedback blew any chance of the deal being completed! LOL

IDF
05-26-2003, 06:06 AM
Prices for a C34V in near perfect condition are between 900/1200 USD.

Audiobeer
05-26-2003, 09:15 AM
I don't doubt it. This was an auction, She had zero feedback and She had a PO Box, and She wanted a postal money order only. I suspect that's why the auction only made the reserve She set at $750.

Audiobeer
06-08-2003, 12:50 PM
The C33 came Friday and I was able to just sit down and listen the the music this weeked. The C33 has by far exceeded my expectations. Mcintosh Preamps are so well thought out! You all were on the money when comparing the C33 to the C32. The C33 is just far more of a preamp both sonicaly and in the design with the 2 units I have. And I have to give a big tip of the Hat to Mike at Audio Classics!

scott fitlin
06-09-2003, 04:27 PM
Theres something about the sound of Vintage McIntosh that just pleases!

besides what I have at home, my buddy uses a Mc 2300 to power his A7,s woofer section, and the amp just sounds wonderful! And people tell him Oh but that OLD transformer coupled output amp....... But the truth is in listening, rather then what the specs say!

Glad your happy, continue listening to lovely sound from McIntosh!

korgroenewoud
06-10-2003, 11:32 AM
!

Hello Scott,

I ve the same experience. People who hear Mcintosh, just listen to music and talk about technical things. Thats the goal of your hifi-system.

Kor

korgroenewoud
06-10-2003, 11:34 AM
hello again,

i mean dont talk about technical things.

Kor

scott fitlin
06-10-2003, 11:16 PM
I have decided, in light of this McIntosh revival, to use one of my Mc amps for my tweeters. McIntosh 2105, circa 1973, to run my 16 JBL 2402,s!

delahais
09-08-2003, 01:43 PM
Hello,
I can tell you that C40 is very, very good !
but there is no remote control !
best regards.

Alex Lancaster
09-08-2003, 05:01 PM
Hi:

Best wishes to Yr Mother; I have heard Macs but never owned one, so tell us in about a month what You think about it.

About these "sellers" with P.O. Boxes, I have had 2 narrow escapes, both of them wanted WUnion, and if I remember correctly one of the addresses was "26 Platz, Berlin, Germany", they will offer free shipping and all kinds of fishy circumstances; I would avoid them and report them to eBay or whatever.

Now, about that sniping software, how can I get it?.

dennis j leisz
09-16-2003, 01:15 PM
Greetings ,I have an excellent condition C34v preamp I am not using. Its looking for a good home. I have the original manual as well. Price is right.

Audiobeer
09-16-2003, 04:32 PM
If you have sat on it this long you might as well wait till this winter to sell. I don't know why but audio on Ebay and elswhere seems to be a buyers market. But as soon as everyone starts sitting around while the roads are covering up with snow......well prices go up...even JBLdog might get his money out of those JBL Thumpers. Besides I might be able to afford it by then!:rolleyes:

jlovda
02-18-2005, 03:17 PM
I own a C-34 and love it. In fact, I don't have a power amp. I run my 4311B's off the internal 20wpc monitor amps.

I believe the difference between the two models is that the 34 has the same limiting circuitry (can't remember the trade name) on the monitor amps as they use in their big amps to keep the waveform from being driven into clipping. The 34 also has both an expander and compressor. I believe the 33 only has a compressor.

John Lovda

Mr. Widget
02-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Hey, does it have a blender for making umbrella drinks too? ;)

Widget

IDF
02-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Information on Vintage McIntosh products can be found at Roger Russel's McIntosh History Page,

Here :

http://www.roger-russell.com/aboutmc.htm

korgroenewoud
02-19-2005, 02:00 AM
[QUOTE=jlovda]I own a C-34 and love it. In fact, I don't have a power amp. I run my 4311B's off the internal 20wpc monitor amps.

I believe the difference between the two models is that the 34 has the same limiting circuitry (can't remember the trade name) on the monitor amps as they use in their big amps to keep the waveform from being driven into clipping. The 34 also has both an expander and compressor. I believe the 33 only has a compressor.

Hello John,

The models have the same features. Use the same little poweramps with powerguard. I once drove a 4343 on that little amp. It sounded great.

Kor