PDA

View Full Version : Westlake wooden horns!

AUDIOPEASANT
11-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Back in October, we had an Audiokarma gathering here in Atlanta. GWaters shows up with this pair of Westlake solid (walnut?) wood horns. I have seen these before but, never in person. I found a thread in Lansing Heritage I purchased them for $400 and am looking for advice on restoration and value. I did find a link from Ifh in Sweden and mine look identical.

Ken Pachkowsky
11-27-2006, 12:23 PM
These are the same horns I have on my HR1's. In good condition these could fetch over 2k.

They made them using either Walnut or Maple as far as I know? Mine are Walnut.

These have seen better days but are not beyond complete restoration. I would suggest finding a pro furniture repair guy who can router and laminate new leading edges on the horn lip's.

Mine fell over during the Northridge Earthquake and were pretty banged up. I found a guy that did a great job blending the new walnut to the old.

Ken

AUDIOPEASANT
11-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks Ken. What is a good estimate on the repair? I can handle sanding and finishing but, to be done right; I think they may need to come apart.

Ken Pachkowsky
11-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi

To be done right, I would budget 400 to 500 bucks plus the cost of the walnut. I bought a 1" thick by 60" long and 12" wide board. This way he could router it out at the proper circumference. I paid around 60-80 bucks for the board.

Hope that helps.

Ken

John
11-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Great find.:bouncy:

Have you got any pictures of the rear of those??? How bout some measurements???:applaud:

AUDIOPEASANT
11-27-2006, 03:51 PM
I don't have the measurements but, here are some more pics:

John
11-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Hmm:hmm: I have never seen westlakes with a wooden driver mounting flange before??? Hey Ken, What say you. Are yours set up like that.

Audiopeasent do you have any pictures with a side angle of the rear of that horn???:blah:

Ken Pachkowsky
11-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Hmm:hmm: I have never seen westlakes with a wooden driver mounting flange before??? Hey Ken, What say you. Are yours set up like that.

Audiopeasent do you have any pictures with a side angle of the rear of that horn???:blah:

John

No, mine have an in-laid metal coupling. They sure look like the real thing on the front.

Ken

John
11-27-2006, 10:08 PM
I have to agree with the front end of those horns, they look like westlake all the way. I have seen about 6 pairs of westlake,s large horns out of the cabinet over the years including my pair. I have a feeling these might be the earliest versions from westlake. I will find some pictures I have around here and post them showing the different driver mounting configurations.

John
11-28-2006, 12:24 AM
These look to be a early pair.

John
11-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Here's a pair that sold for $200. they were in L.A. now Hong Kong.

northwood
11-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Here's a pair that sold for $200. they were in L.A. now Hong Kong.
HKman will sell them to china mainland the price would be at least doubled,game done

John
11-28-2006, 01:10 AM
Last I spoke to Hong Kong owner they were being installed in westlake clones!!!

toddalin
11-28-2006, 06:01 PM
I assume that you guys know that R. Crumb came up with those horns and even features them on the cover of Zap Comix! :p :D

http://i1.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/d7/8f/23_1_b.JPG

Zilch
11-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Ut, oh. Todd was BAD.... :p

northwood
12-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Last I spoke to Hong Kong owner they were being installed in westlake clones!!!

good:)

glen
12-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Ut, oh. Todd was BAD.... :p

Todd was VERRRY bad,
That's a Robert Williams cover!

Stroy titles are worth the listing:
Zap Comix # 5
Copyright 1970 by Robert Crumb, Rick Griffin, Victor Moscoso, S. Clay Wilson, & Robert Williams. Published by Last Gasp. Latest printing. $3.95 cover price. Kennedy guide # 2298.

Special Business Executive Issue!

Features:
Gilbert Shelton - Those Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
Zap Artists Jam - Micro-Minnie
Robert Williams - Bludgeon Funnies!
Victor Moscoso - Krazy Komix
S. Clay Wilson - Lester Gass, The Midnight Misogynist
R. Crumb - Mr. Natural
R. Crumb - Mr. Natural’s Quiz Page
Gilbert Shelton - Wonder Wart-Hog’s Believe It or Leave It!
S. Clay Wilson - Ruby the Dyke Meets Weedman
Robert & Charles Crumb - The Adventures of Fuzzy the Bunny
Robert Williams - Coochy Cooty in "Docil Days"
S. Clay Wilson - Snake Snatch Tale
Robert Williams - That Ol’ Cartoon Heaven In The Sky
Robert Williams - Front & back covers

I assume that you guys know that R. Crumb came up with those horns and even features them on the cover of Zap Comix! :p :D

http://i1.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/d7/8f/23_1_b.JPG

toddalin
12-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Todd was VERRRY bad,
That's a Robert Williams cover!

Stroy titles are worth the listing:
Zap Comix # 5
Copyright 1970 by Robert Crumb, Rick Griffin, Victor Moscoso, S. Clay Wilson, & Robert Williams. Published by Last Gasp. Latest printing. $3.95 cover price. Kennedy guide # 2298.

Special Business Executive Issue!

Features:

Gilbert Shelton - Those Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
Zap Artists Jam - Micro-Minnie
Robert Williams - Bludgeon Funnies!
Victor Moscoso - Krazy Komix
S. Clay Wilson - Lester Gass, The Midnight Misogynist
R. Crumb - Mr. Natural
R. Crumb - Mr. Natural’s Quiz Page
Gilbert Shelton - Wonder Wart-Hog’s Believe It or Leave It!
S. Clay Wilson - Ruby the Dyke Meets Weedman
Robert & Charles Crumb - The Adventures of Fuzzy the Bunny
Robert Williams - Coochy Cooty in "Docil Days"
S. Clay Wilson - Snake Snatch Tale
Robert Williams - That Ol’ Cartoon Heaven In The Sky
Robert Williams - Front & back covers

My wife and I are big fans of Robert Williams and the Kustom Kulture (including Big Daddy Ed Roth and Von Dutch). We attend their exibitions whenever they come into town. ;)

lfh
02-07-2007, 04:55 PM
I found the following pics at hifido (using the interesting "Items in the Past"-search, http:/www.hifido.co.jp/old_db/esearch5.html). Hence it seems like at least one incarnation of the Westies shipped without 2328 throats, and that the flanges on AUDIOPEASANT's horns are the real deal.

Fredrik
(who soon will find some time to play with loudspeakers again :wave: )