PDA

View Full Version : Your first CD ?

SEAWOLF97
11-07-2006, 10:05 AM
was just listening to Dire Straits on XM and got to recollecting that they were they first CD I ever purchased...."Brothers in Arms" ..it was a German pressing and still one of my favs.

Do you remember your first ?? :bouncy:

clmrt
11-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Pink Floyd's Momentary, and the D-3 Portable from Sony, 1987. Xmas gift from Ma.

Thanks, mom.

Titanium Dome
11-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon and Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, bought at the same time at the "CD Is Here Now" sale at Fisher's Big Wheel, weeks before I had enough money to buy a CD player at Sears.

morbo!
11-07-2006, 10:52 AM
oh
not exactly sure of the 1st

But in the brand new collection was

john farnam - whispering jack (suprising good sound)
travelling willbury`s - vol 1 (no need for further comment)
Crowded house - Crowded house (I got a feeling this was up 1st)

and a brand new $800 phillips cd player
wish i had a photo of that old baby
Im sure it was the 1st modle relised in aus.
If the cd had more tracks than the player could handle,
You could only scan through the last tracks.And not access them directly

oh yeah i also got a copy of brothers in arms
but that was a few weeks later

aerosmith - pump The day that came out!

SEAWOLF97
11-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon and Dire Straits Brothers in Arms,

Great minds think alike.....DSOM was #2 purchase

whizzer
11-07-2006, 12:17 PM
It took a long time for me to be convinced that we had to get a CD player and that I'd have to start replacing my favorite LPs with CDs. The first one was Rubber Soul, the Beatles, the second was Dark Side of the Moon, the third was a boxed set of Eric Satie's piano music.

BMWCCA
11-07-2006, 01:28 PM
My first was Donald Fagen's "Nightfly", bought on it's release date in anticipation of getting my first CD player, a Philips (Magnavox badged, IIRC) that I still have, somewhere. I also still have my first "real" CD player, a Sony CDP-101—their first. Still no "DSOTM", though it appears to be the favorite first CD around here. I guess I heard it too much in college on the LP.

Seawolf: Did you write the Wikipedia Compact Disc entry?

"The far larger popular and rock music industries were slower to adopt the new format, especially in the huge consumer markets in Europe and the United States, the first notable success being Brothers in Arms in 1985."

Rolf
11-07-2006, 03:45 PM
was just listening to Dire Straits on XM and got to recollecting that they were they first CD I ever purchased...."Brothers in Arms" ..it was a German pressing and still one of my favs.

Do you remember your first ?? :bouncy:

I believe it was ... if not the first, one of my first.:D Still one I listen to very often.

SEAWOLF97
11-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Seawolf: Did you write the Wikipedia Compact Disc entry?

No, not me. I'm not much of a writer. The little I do here is more than I do anywhere else. I just feel at home in this group.

Was too poor to buy a CD new. Went to "Music Millennium" , a kinda of hippy music store famous in Portland. You know , one with a couch where you could chill and check out the tunes. SAt there and checked the binder of used CDs and really lit up when BIA was in there. It wasn't their first album, but I think their first CD ? Remember paying $8 for it and happy for the deal.

#3 HAD TO BE "Abraxas". In the darkroom aboard our CVA at Yankee Station (1971), we had 2 records and a record player with detachable speakers. Played "Tumbleweed Connection" and "Abraxas" until they were worn out.

Fred Sanford
11-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Spyro Gyra- Morning Dance, probably 1986, before I had a CD player but I needed a test disc to demo Donald Trump's AV system to him. Stolen from me by a co-worker. Next one was Horowitz live in Moscow, and I re-purchased Morning Dance. Those and about 5 others (Bob James/David Sanborn- Double Vision, Police first album, Joe Jackson- Look Sharp!, Vivaldi Four Seasons and Handel Water Music would be my guesses) were then stolen by my brother's friend. Re-purchased Morning Dance a few years later, still have it. Not the best sounding disc, but it's somehow special.

je

jim campbell
11-07-2006, 06:55 PM
wish you were here................. floyd

soundboy
11-07-2006, 07:23 PM
"The Way it is" 1986. Just pulled it out....still have it exactly 20 years later!:applaud: Level 42 "World Machine" and "Runnin in the Family" right away, too....just looked, still have those too, damn...and "Brothers in Arms"...let me go look...:blink: Got that still, too....4 for 4....what don't I have now? Hmmn...

Mint 4315's, sold for $600.00 20 yrs ago...:blink: Mcintosh pair of MC75's with tube cages and origonal owner's manuals....sold for $900 20 years ago:blink::blink:. They were mint, too.:banghead::banghead:

The moral of the story....the list goes on, as old equipment get's traded....but the music still stays...:)
(I miss those old blue JBL's, though...they were purrty:()

LRBacon
11-07-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm a little embarrassed. My first CD was a freeby that I had won from a local radio station. 'Twas Linda Ronstadt's "Cry Like A Rain Storm, Howl Like The Wind." I still have it, but hardly if ever listen to it. It was late 1989 or early 1990 and I didn't have a CD player yet. I was still listening to vinyl. My first CD player was a Teac 6 disc magazine changer that I picked up a local pawn shop for $60.

Larry

Ducatista47
11-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Suzanne Vega, Solitude Standing. Quickly followed by some Neil Young. First classical (and first decent quality cd) was a Nimbus selection, Hayden and Boccherini Cello Concertos. I don't listen to Suzanne Vega any more, the classical album is still beyond great and Neil Young is still a God to me.

I still have my vinyl of Waiting For The Electrician... and The Nightfly.

Clark in Peoria

Thom
11-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Brothers in arms, it was either the first or one of the first mixed for CD and you could tell. It just jumped at you. Played it on a deck I bought used for about $400.00 prices have changed. Im sure you can still pay big $$ but I had no choice then and there weren't a lot of cd's to choose from once I got the deck.

Steve Schell
11-08-2006, 12:58 AM
BMWCCA, my first player was also the top loader Magnavox. My friend Larry and I both bought them as refurbs and used them until they quit. Like yours, mine is still packed away.

The first CD I owned was the sampler disc included with the player. Larry had, like you, obtained Nightfly as soon as it went on sale; the first CD we had laid eyes on.

morbo!
11-08-2006, 03:25 AM
Add 1927- ish to my list
:applaud:

SEAWOLF97
11-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Was just listening to the soundtrack of "Koyaanisqatsi" by Phillip Glass. Incredible. If it had been available at the time it would have been my first CD. I think he won an Academy Award for this work.

In case you havnt seen it , I wont give away the plotline.:bouncy:

andresohc
11-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Joni Mitchell, Court and Spark, Ben Webster meets Ike Quebec (both at the same time). It took me a while to transition. I held on to vinyl.

SEAWOLF97
11-09-2006, 08:56 AM
So after all this discussion of "Brothers in Arms" , I found my copy . Stuck it in the PC and ripped at 320bps. Moved it to the Nano . Connected the Shure E2Cs , jumped in bed and was in audio Nirvana. WOW !! Great Album.:bouncy:

On the "MTV" track , it raised goosebumps on my arms. Love dem Shures...:D :bouncy:

Bob Womack
11-09-2006, 09:11 AM
My first was David Grusin's Night Lines. Wow, what a memory! I was at the Audio Engineering Society meeting in NYC shopping for a (then new) Solid State Logic console the year (1983) when this CD came out. They had somehow wangled a 32-track multitrack digital copy of the main songs from this album as demonstration material. They brought myself and my colleagues in and allowed us to mix these songs to try out the console.

When I got home, I had to get it, but CDs were so new there weren't any players available in my area. When the first one (a lousy Sanyo) became available, I rushed out and bought it and the CD. I returned the player within a week for the next model that came in, a JVC 300, because the silly Sanyo upcut any selection you cued to.

Now, this was back in "single D to A converter with no timing compensation" days, so there were HORRIBLE problems with getting a center image because of a data interleaving delay between the left and right channels. :banghead:

Obviously I was back in the stores right soon to get a much improved dual D to A unit. Ah, the joys of the bleeding edge.... :barf:

Bob

SEAWOLF97
11-11-2006, 06:26 PM
most anticipated "pre-record" purchase

In 1969, I was in I-corps, VN . 1970 in IV-corps. We were so far out from news of the world, that I didn't even know of the Moon landing until long afterwords. AFVN radio was mostly 60's and pop, so my little Sony TC-110 cassettecorder (mono) was a great little friend. The tunes we got were whatever the PX had in stock. The USO and clubs in the south had mostly CCR on reel to reels . learned to really appreciate Fogerty and group.
Anyway, 1970 I took an R&R to Hong Kong. The mission was to meet as much of the local talent as I could.
One evening I steeped down into a club , right off Humphreys in Kowloon, as was struck. The music sounded like CCR , but I had never heard the tunes before...Midnight Special , Cottonfields, Effigy....WOW....found the manager who showed me the cassette. From then on, I forgot the girls. The new mission was to find that tape. Fortunately for the local economy, I got one within a day." WILLIE & The Poor Boys"
Took it back to the delta and I was crewman of the week. I also had the "magic patch cable -mini to mini" and we dubbed that tape for months. I think it was worn out by the time I came home.

Still a great album , always on the nano, now. :bouncy:

jim campbell
11-11-2006, 10:37 PM
a wife can find more for you to do than a platoon of bosses

SEAWOLF97
11-12-2006, 09:03 AM
a wife can find more for you to do than a platoon of bosses

Darned right !! Its always "could you tweak that sound stage, Dear ??" or " would you oil that cabinet veneer, Dear ??" or "time to clean those tape heads , Dear" or " could you turn up the volume, Dear?? " or .....???:)

jim campbell
11-12-2006, 10:52 AM
i seem to remember "cant those things (l300) go somewhere else"?

L100t Owner
11-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Crime of the Century.

johnaec
11-12-2006, 03:33 PM
I think I got my first two at the same time - American Beauty and Workingman's Dead by the Grateful Dead.

John

northwood
11-12-2006, 04:59 PM
DVORAK'S "NEW WORLD" SYMPHONY NO.9 IN E MINOR SZELL CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA

Titanium Dome
11-12-2006, 05:28 PM
DVORAK'S "NEW WORLD" SYMPHONY NO.9 IN E MINOR SZELL CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA

How lucky you are!

I went to graduate school in Cleveland at Case Western Reserve University, right there in University Circle where Severance Hall is located. I heard the Cleveland Orchestra many times, but under Lorin Maazel. It is a wonderful music venue.

Did you get the Masterworks edition, recorded in Severance Hall? It is excellent.

I had the extreme pleasure of being on stage at Severance Hall in front of a full audience. That's where I received my diploma. I was very excited to be completing my graduate program, but all I could think about was the fantasy of standing there and playing my trumpet...what if it could happen? :hmm:

duaneage
12-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Earth wind and Fire - Powerlight
U2 - war
Janet Jackson - Pleasure Principle

that's was enough variety to test speakers with. All the audio shops went to CD and none had any tape decks anymore.

oznob
12-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Led Zep, "Houses of the Holy."

Storm
12-12-2006, 02:17 PM
My first CD was Billy Joel Live in New York - 2 cd set.

I am a HUGE Billy Joel, Eric Clapton, Peter Frampton, Phil Collins, Genesis, Sheryl Crow, fan!

:)

louped garouv
12-12-2006, 03:29 PM
my first CD was either the Megadeath album with the "boots" remake, Metallica's "Master of Puppets" or "kill 'em all" release

that's what I was into back then....

along with all of the Rock clasics, but we had access to them via home collections on vinyl...

SUPERBEE
12-14-2006, 02:53 AM
Early 1980s and it was a YARDBIRDS greatest hits. It was a Japanese import CD. I didnt even own a CD player then.

JBL Dog
12-18-2006, 12:19 AM
My first CD's were purchased in February of 1987 (I think the date was the 11th). I bought the first four Beatles albums on CD (Parlaphone label) the day they were released in the United States. I think I paid $11.99 each on sale.

kingjames
12-18-2006, 03:08 PM
I bought my first 3 cd's after I got my Christmas bonus back in 2002. They were "The Worst of Jefferson Airplane", Roy Buchanan "The Second Album" which includes the awesome track of "The Messiah Will Come Again" and Ten Years After "Hate Me Calling" which includes the awesome hit "Help Me" "The Mesiah will come again" and "help me" are probably the best guitar solo's that I have ever heard.

oznob
12-18-2006, 04:00 PM
I bought my first 3 cd's after I got my Christmas bonus back in 2002. They were "The Worst of Jefferson Airplane", Roy Buchanan "The Second Album" which includes the awesome track of "The Messiah Will Come Again" and Ten Years After "Hate Me Calling" which includes the awesome hit "Help Me" "The Mesiah will come again" and "help me" are probably the best guitar solo's that I have ever heard.

Hey King,
Right on the money with Roy Buchanan and Alvin Lee! Two awesome guitarists and two of my personal favs!:rockon1:

SEAWOLF97
12-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Ten Years After "Hate Me Calling" which includes the awesome hit "Help Me" "The Mesiah will come again" and "help me" are probably the best guitar solo's that I have ever heard.

Hope you've got Ten Years After " A Space in Time" !!! Absolute super classic ...I'd love to change the world .....but I don't know what to do...So I'm leavin it up to you......

hjames
12-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Hope you've got Ten Years After " A Space in Time" !!! Absolute super classic ...I'd love to change the world .....

Yeah - lotta radio play for that one ... but favorite was always Watt ...
especially the B side (from the Vinyl days)

The Band with No Name - pure spaghetti western style . then ...
Gonna Run (yes I'm runnin') ... with She lies in the Morning,
and rocked off with Sweet Little Sixteen! Alvin Lee - whew!

oznob
12-19-2006, 10:04 AM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/62/81/86d8b220dca0a96e7f971010._AA201_.L.jpg

A real Classic! Also one of my first CD's.