PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me? Curved, or no Curve?

Storm
10-25-2006, 11:17 PM
I am looking at vintage Altec Voice of the Theatres. I am interested to know what the curved design on the woofer part does or does not do for the sound.

I am just wondering because on the home version - 846 in particular, the woofer is mounted straight with no curved on either side.

Here is a picture below of the woofer below and mine. What is the overall difference? Why did Altec not add that feature to the home versions?

Thank you!

:p

audition
10-26-2006, 04:38 AM
The top Photo is a "front loaded" HORN

Rex Everything
10-26-2006, 06:54 AM
Are those A7 cabs your looking at, Storm? What components are they loaded w/ if so?

Pretty sure there is a nice set around these parts still if you don't mind shipping. I'd even be willing to "store" them next to my Valencias and give you a report on the sonic differences :D

grumpy
10-26-2006, 12:42 PM
I -think- Audition hit it... (not about curvelinear cones or straight walled ones, although
that's useful/additional information too).

Short horn... provides some directivity and loading above a couple hundred Hz,
often ported. Not necessarily needed (although desired, perhaps by some) in a
home/studio environment (can I be more PC?). Still works great in large spaces
or outdoors. -grumpy

louped garouv
10-26-2006, 02:10 PM
if you do some digging on Horn loading vs. Direct Radiating... you should have some interestng reading ahead :D

I was looking for a series of posts talking about the Altec M19 vs. A7, but could not come up with the ones I was looking for....

for altec some notables you may want to search are:

for some woofers start with...
416 series woofers, IE 416-8B, 416-8Z, whatever
515 series
421 series

for the 1" drivers...
802 and 902 series drivers... 808s may be interesting as well...

I have no experience with the larger altec 1.4" drivers, although from some light reading, they seem to have their fair share of devotees as well...