PDA

View Full Version : Changing User Name

LRBacon
10-24-2006, 03:38 PM
How does one go about changing their user name? Or am I stuck with it?

Larry B

jim campbell
10-25-2006, 10:16 AM
i am interested in this as well.

LRBacon
10-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Hopefully one of the moderators knows the answer.

Larry

hjames
10-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Hopefully one of the moderators knows the answer.

Larry
Not a moderator - but - I don't think its possible ....
Why change - didn't you pick a name you used somewhere else before?

jim campbell
10-25-2006, 01:15 PM
i think a pseudonym would reduce the possibility of id theft and spam

hjames
10-25-2006, 01:30 PM
i think a pseudonym would reduce the possibility of id theft and spam
Spam's not gonna getcha here - you'd have to post your for-real email address publicly on the web to give that up. And be careful filling out info for user accounts - Identity theft can occur when folks post name address and social secs number online - or get tricked into filling out a fake form registering for a (fake) Bank or something similar - or someone clones their VISA card based on paper mail theft.

Recommend you get a gmail account for ebay and stuff like that and use that to hide your real email ... and never tell us who you are - from now on, we'll just call ya "hey, buddy ..."

I been online for over 12 years - really - always have one mail account just for untrusted contacts - one that you don't mind dumping if it goes bad ...

louped garouv
10-25-2006, 01:41 PM

what if you changed the "fake name" you use on most other boards....

:blink:

or....
just to keep folks on their toes.....

hjames
10-25-2006, 01:59 PM
what if you changed the "fake name" you use on most other boards....

or....
just to keep folks on their toes.....

dunno ...
ask a mod -
Mod I'm not ...

boputnam
10-25-2006, 03:25 PM
i think a pseudonym would reduce the possibility of id theft and spamPossibly, but some sites require use of real names - they found it lessens infractions of bad demeanor.

As far as I know, there is no method for the user to change their user name. I do not know if those capabilities exist at the Administrator level (and shouldn't speculate as my guessing of the power in that area is commonly wrong... :o: ).

But, this is all merely from a full-fledged minion perspective. :p Hi, SG!! :wave:

LRBacon
10-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Not a moderator - but - I don't think its possible ....

Using a fake name other than my real name would make me more anonymous (not the main reason). I thought of better user name sometime after signing up with the forum a few months ago. My spur of the moment thinking wasn't very good at that time, not that it is any better now.

Larry

Titanium Dome
10-25-2006, 06:58 PM
In the past, members had the ability to create new accounts at will, often having two, three, or more at once. This allowed different personas to exist from the same member.

After some predictably bad results from too much freedom, Don changed the membership policy to allow only one ID per member for almost everyone. Thus, "sock puppetry" was dead for virtually all members (and perhaps is not allowed for anyone anymore).

I believe it's possible to simply close your current account and open a new one as long as you have only one account at a time. As long as you haven't been suspended or banned, you should be able to rejoin. However, before doing this PM Don or one of the other admins to be sure this allowed. Even if it's possible, I'm certain they'll take a dim view of someone who keeps changing accounts. So, be sure you pick one you want to keep.

Your post count will revert to 0, but that's less important than having a moniker you like.

jim campbell
10-25-2006, 07:52 PM
changing the name on the avatar is the idea, the bio stuff would remain.i just noticed that very few members use their own names and surmised that there was a reason for that

Mr. Widget
10-25-2006, 08:31 PM
How does one go about changing their user name? Or am I stuck with it?You can not change your account name. I'll look into seeing what we can do about it.

Widget

LRBacon
10-26-2006, 07:15 AM
Thanks, Widget. I suppose I could do as T.D. suggested.

Larry

louped garouv
10-26-2006, 01:24 PM
You can not change your account name. I'll look into seeing what we can do about it.

Widget

Mods should be able to change the "display name" FWIU, and if a user establishes a new account with a new display name, the mods shoudl be able to merge user accounts...

IE if you can sucessfully do a IP trace, you could tack the sock puppets onto the main user account... LoL that would be interesting....

intotubes
10-26-2006, 05:27 PM
changing the name on the avatar is the idea, the bio stuff would remain.i just noticed that very few members use their own names and surmised that there was a reason for that
I don't think there is any good reason to not use your real name as your handle. I often sign my real name. I think most thought their handle was clever when they signed on or wanted something unique that said a bit about themselves. I've always respected those that didn't bother with coming up with a clever user name and opted to be real. Less pretentious and gives an air of maturity or security. I am more apt to trust the opinion of those that use their name for a user name. I certainly wouldn't change it to ward off ID theft. There are other more important precautions to take.
-Mark

LRBacon
10-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Thanks, Mark I appreciate your opinion on the matter. Maybe I will leave well enough alone.

Larry

Zilch
10-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Less pretentious....

alexkerhead
10-26-2006, 07:24 PM
Any administrator with access to the admincp can change the account name in vbulletin.
Goto users, then search users, then type in the current user name and access their profile editing fields, change the name from their.
You need to PM a admin and ask them todo this for you.

boputnam
10-26-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't think there is any good reason to not use your real name as your handle. Second that 'motion...

louped garouv
10-26-2006, 11:40 PM
I don't think there is any good reason to not use your real name as your handle.

but......

oh the Irony

intotubes
10-27-2006, 09:37 AM
but......

oh the Irony

I like to use a clever name that says a little about myself. :) Besides I use that same username on all the boards that I'm a member of. It wasn't until I joined a few boards that I saw a few brave individuals that opted to use their real name.

louped garouv
10-27-2006, 09:42 AM
I was just yanking your chain....

no harm meant (and hopefully none taken)

just being a PITA.... :D

Do you do restoration work on Tube amps? I am too scared of the voltage.... maybe I can just contact Scooter B. and have him do it.....

I don't think I would want use my real name on a board...
maybe I should start registering as "phil smith" or something that gives the impression of being my real name... LoL :blah:

SEAWOLF97
10-28-2006, 07:00 AM

Well darn , I thot that was your real name:blink:

seawolf97
(not my real name, old squadron handle)

Rolf
10-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Strange ... I used my real name from day one. (Before this "new" forum) Anybody who doesn't want to reveal his/her real name must have something to hide.

The reason I don't have my last name in my profile/avatar is that most of you here on the forum will not understand, and it will be misunderstood.

jim campbell
10-29-2006, 09:11 AM
if you think i have anything to hide you are very much mistaken.changing the name on my avatar is between myself and the moderators.you sir owe me an apology

louped garouv
10-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Lord knows that Americans only understand American last names, eh?....

Zilch
10-29-2006, 12:54 PM
I suppose I COULD just go down to the court house and file the necessary papers to change my real name to this one.

I doubt it would be anything out of the ordinary here.... :p

Titanium Dome
10-29-2006, 06:31 PM
OK let's not read too much into this. When I was an undergraduate I got the nickname Zappa. That's what everyone called me, and I responded to it, but I wasn't trying to conceal my real name. Everyone knew who I was.

In HS I had a different name (not repeatable here) among my friends. Not a big deal. I wasn't hiding anything.

On most Internet forums, there are a number of people who take on monikers that are fun, entertaining, or indicative of some characteristic. It's supposed to be fun. How many Dougs, Johns, Dieters, Manuels, Peters, Abduls, and Kahns do you want?

There's probably a lot of Dougs (eleven--and one of them might be my original?) here, but only one Titanium Dome.

intotubes
10-29-2006, 07:29 PM
I was just yanking your chain....

no harm meant (and hopefully none taken)

just being a PITA.... :D

Do you do restoration work on Tube amps? I am too scared of the voltage.... maybe I can just contact Scooter B. and have him do it.....

maybe I should start registering as "phil smith" or something that gives the impression of being my real name... LoL :blah:

None taken. Just thought it needed a little more explanation.
I do work on my own tubes. I'm very careful. I am familiar with the dangers. I even do a little puttering on my SS stuf but usually just cleaning of the pots and switches and new light bulbs. Maybe resolder a cold joint or those Pioneer wire wraps. Nothing that takes any training.

By the way, I missed our "appointment" to audition your A7's. We need to get together sometime and trade stories.
-Mark

Rolf
10-31-2006, 07:29 AM
if you think i have anything to hide you are very much mistaken.changing the name on my avatar is between myself and the moderators.you sir owe me an apology

If I offended you. I am sorry. Not my intention.

What I mean is that ones avatar name can be anything. Like TD says, as long as everybody knows who you really are, and do not conceal your true identity for some not so good reason.

jim campbell
10-31-2006, 10:27 AM
apology accepted...jim