PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else use Marantz with their JBLs?

alexkerhead
10-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Anyone else use marantz with their JBLs?

I have a 2270 on my stock set of L100s and a 2265B on my modded set of L100s.

JBLnsince1959
10-11-2006, 04:49 PM

yes....

mech986
10-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Yes, currently running a 2250 preamp section into an Apt 1 power amp driving my 4333B's in the living room. They also drove a pair of L19's for a while too. Have a 2500 waiting in the wings as well as 3 4300's in need of repairs before they may see duty.

Bart

ReEdger
10-11-2006, 08:08 PM
I have a newly acquired Marantz 2500 and a 510M/3600 combo that I run with a pair of L-300's.
I like the combo of JBL and Marantz. Of course, I love my JBL's with any of my vintage amps and receivers! :D

alexkerhead
10-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Western America designed receivers work well with Western America design speakers..hehe

SUPERBEE
10-11-2006, 10:49 PM

I used to use a Marantz 2235 with my Paragon. Then I started running a Fisher 500C Tube receiver thru it and I sold the Marantz.

alexkerhead
10-12-2006, 08:45 AM
I used to use a Marantz 2235 with my Paragon. Then I started running a Fisher 500C Tube receiver thru it and I sold the Marantz. Methinks you needs a set of marantz tubed monoblocks..:D

Fangio
10-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Yep, a good team (http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/9483/4400dsc01810sm9ja.jpg).

alexkerhead
10-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Yep, a good team (http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/9483/4400dsc01810sm9ja.jpg).

Drool-------------over-----------that!

That is the holy grail of quadrophonic!:jawdrop:

Heinz
10-13-2006, 03:21 PM
I have a newly acquired Marantz 2500 and a 510M/3600 combo that I run with a pair of L-300's.
I like the combo of JBL and Marantz. Of course, I love my JBL's with any of my vintage amps and receivers! :D

Jeppp Marantz to my gear..... 2215b,2218,2226b,1070,5020 to my L19 and L300.

ReEdger..... Phuuu was it you that scored that 2500 on Ebay in Germay ?? 2500 & 2600 is on my "Want to Have" list...

/ Heinz

ReEdger
10-13-2006, 06:08 PM
ReEdger..... Phuuu was it you that scored that 2500 on Ebay in Germay ?? 2500 & 2600 is on my "Want to Have" list...

/ Heinz

Heinz, I scored my 2500 from a posting in our local San Francisco Bay Area Craigslist. In fact, the guy had it stored only a few miles from my house.
It is the one pictured here. I was the first one to respond to the ad, and the seller allowed me to purchase just the Marantz for $600!!

Check this out:
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12414

scott fitlin
10-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Western America designed receivers work well with Western America design speakers..heheIt was the sound of that era. The potentiometers, resistors, capacitors, tubes or transistors, whatever the case may be, of that period have that unique warm, yet really clear, sweet tone.

One brand of components used very widely in audio gear years ago, Allen Bradley, carbon composition resistors and potentiometers, has much to do with that vintage tone of many brands of preamps, amps, and guitar amps.

I will have to agree that many of the best of yesterdays gear had a tone many are still craving to this day.

Vintage JBL just sounds right with this era of electronics. Especially the mids and highs.

A "fulfilling" sound I call it!

:)

alexkerhead
10-13-2006, 08:57 PM
It was the sound of that era. The potentiometers, resistors, capacitors, tubes or transistors, whatever the case may be, of that period have that unique warm, yet really clear, sweet tone.

One brand of components used very widely in audio gear years ago, Allen Bradley, carbon composition resistors and potentiometers, has much to do with that vintage tone of many brands of preamps, amps, and guitar amps.

I will have to agree that many of the best of yesterdays gear had a tone many are still craving to this day.

Vintage JBL just sounds right with this era of electronics. Especially the mids and highs.

A "fulfilling" sound I call it!

:)
Indeed, a great description.

I do not think, with todays goal of low costing stuff that we will ever find stuff as good as back then. Companies(even JBL) are cheaping up their stuff to a point where the sound is gravely compromised.
I wish they sold the JBL stuff they make in Japan over here, because they still make excellent stuff in Japan. Which is the last of a dying breed of excellent audio.

Zilch
10-13-2006, 09:03 PM
I wish they sold the JBL stuff they make in Japan over here, because they still make excellent stuff in Japan. Which is the last of a dying breed of excellent audio.Uhmmm, made in Northridge, I believe....

alexkerhead
10-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Uhmmm, made in Northridge, I believe....
Not the northridge series.
I am talking about the ones in the same line as the everest, but not anything like it, but they aren't sold here in the US.

scott fitlin
10-13-2006, 09:49 PM
Indeed, a great description.

I do not think, with todays goal of low costing stuff that we will ever find stuff as good as back then. Companies(even JBL) are cheaping up their stuff to a point where the sound is gravely compromised.
I wish they sold the JBL stuff they make in Japan over here, because they still make excellent stuff in Japan. Which is the last of a dying breed of excellent audio.Its like everything else these days made for the U.S. market. They say we dont care about quality, iPod is good enough!

They say all we want is convenience easy to use items, iPod fits this description!

Top quality materials and engineering cost lots of money, and isnt condusive to manufacturing cost effective, mass produced goods.

Theres yet another side to this as well. I sometimes feel much of what was done years ago, is not known today and the skills and recipes for manufacturing what they did back then has been lost.

Years ago, things were built to work and sound a certain way, and to last a long time.

Then of course, there is the fact that they tell us what we like in that vintage sound is technically incorrect, and gremlin distortions at work. I know this happens to be true, but, certain things just sounded like music.

But mostly I feel they dont produce super high quality products that are affordable because they are making too much money selling toaster oven quality junk!

And for me, this is really very unfortunate, as I grew up in the last era of when " American Made " meant you were buying the BEST!

I must say that as I am in the process of refurbishing my vintage sound system, and its in a buisiness, and I have recently done a few things using ancient gear, you really should see the look on peoples faces when they hear great music in my place, especially considering that the audio companies tell us no one can hear the difference!

I get alot of comments from ordinary people that say otherwise!

Two statements I hear on a regular basis is " How do you get it to sound like that? " and " My God, Thats sooo Clear, its like they are right here in the room playing live " !

Gotta love capitalism!

:dont-know

scott fitlin
10-13-2006, 10:04 PM
I have D series Crowns operating in here that are from 1978, and not only do they still work, they sound good.

That is the ultimate testament to well made products because my system works 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, March thru September!

I keep trying to change and modernize, and put newer amps in place of the DC-300A,s, and no new technology amp that I have found makes low end like that antique DC-300A on my fifteens! Bottom end has weight, punch, tone, and definition!

:D

Zilch
10-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Not the northridge series.
I am talking about the ones in the same line as the everest, but not anything like it, but they aren't sold here in the US.http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107815#post107815

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/product/jblhome/index.html

alexkerhead
10-13-2006, 10:35 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107815#post107815

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/product/jblhome/index.html
Sure wish they sold those here in the US:(

JBL Dog
11-07-2006, 08:13 AM

I have a set of Control 5's being powered by a Marantz 2235B for my storage room rig. Outstanding little receiver!

duaneage
11-07-2006, 08:20 AM
I have a set of Control 5's being powered by a Marantz 2235B for my storage room rig. Outstanding little receiver!
I also have a 2235B in my garage. I like it but the "loudness" feature adds way too much bass boost. I do like the midrange tone control. None of the panel lights work so finding a radio station is a challange. For 35 watts it does quite well.

JBL Dog
11-07-2006, 08:34 AM
I also have a 2235B in my garage. I like it but the "loudness" feature adds way too much bass boost. I do like the midrange tone control. None of the panel lights work so finding a radio station is a challange. For 35 watts it does quite well.

Yup, those 2200 series Marantz receivers are notorious for having lights go out. I only have one burned out so I'm still in good shape! One of these days I'll rip it apart and replace all the lights.

Rolf
11-07-2006, 03:42 PM

No :p

SEAWOLF97
11-07-2006, 04:36 PM
[quote=alexkerhead;128703]Anyone else use marantz with their JBLs?
quote]

yup, I run Marantz HD770s as rears for my 4410s. Perfect fill. They give me a low end that the JBLs dont quite have. And as an Ed May design, they are very nice on their own, too.

Fred Sanford
11-07-2006, 04:48 PM
I have D series Crowns operating in here that are from 1978, and not only do they still work, they sound good.

That is the ultimate testament to well made products because my system works 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, March thru September!

I keep trying to change and modernize, and put newer amps in place of the DC-300A,s, and no new technology amp that I have found makes low end like that antique DC-300A on my fifteens! Bottom end has weight, punch, tone, and definition!

:D

Scott, I have a vintage DC300A sitting around, not sure what I'm going to end up using it for. I have some info stored somewhere, but I believe my hesitation was from hearing that it's pretty important to have something protecting the speakers from these amps failing & taking out whatever's running off them. We'll see...

je

alexkerhead
11-07-2006, 08:08 PM
yup, I run Marantz HD770s as rears for my 4410s. Perfect fill. They give me a low end that the JBLs dont quite have. And as an Ed May design, they are very nice on their own, too.

I always wanted to try a pair of those. Maybe someday.
Can't go wrong with Ed May Design.:)

dllyons
11-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Marantz & JBL ?!?!?! What a perfect fit !! In the 70's around my town, those were the two names that got people's attention .... and if someone had both names combined in their sound system, it was nothing but envy from everyone else. I finally fell victim myself in 1977 & 78 ....... and got this stuff:

http://www.audioheritage.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=368&cat=500&ppuser=624

MJC
11-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Two statements I hear on a regular basis is " How do you get it to sound like that? " and " My God, Thats sooo Clear, its like they are right here in the room playing live " !

Everyone who comes in my house and hears either the L212s or the new Studio L890s and have either never heard them before or not in a while will say the same thing, "how clear they sound". I tell them that's the JBL sound.
But back to the topic: I have a Marantz 880 receiver connected to 3 L55s in the MB, sounds good. Used to have the 880 connected to the L212s in the HT, which also had a good sound. But the new H/K 635 is a better match for the L212s. And that's not getting into the fact that the H/K has Logic 7 that the Marantz does not have.

pbda
11-29-2006, 06:21 AM
I used to use a Marantz 2235 with my Paragon. Then I started running a Fisher 500C Tube receiver thru it and I sold the Marantz.

Currently using a 2325 with my L100s, but likewise have tried my Fisher 500C with very fine results.

Maron Horonzakz
11-29-2006, 08:18 AM
I have eight monoblock Marantz Esotec MA-5 amps....Useing six in a triamp mode configuration......30 watt class A or switchable to 120 watt AB ....Pioneer series 20 D23 electronic xover. I wish i could find more in the Marantz Esotec line.

vernb
11-30-2006, 02:04 PM

JBL S2600 with Marantz Esotec SM6 and SC6 = match made in heaven

Thom
11-30-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm not a Marantz expert but if you're trying to put youselfs in the company of those elitests who once ran Marantz because they picked them over Mac, I only heard a couple of marantz modlels listed. I think the 19 a reciever was the last Marantz made. Unless you want to count what carries the name fischer name today as fiischer (it's not) the rest of you, for better or worse are running Superscope or something that followed because I quit following at superscope. Marantz in it's day, was not just another name it was special, but if I'm not mistaken, all of the four digit model numbers are like JBL today. Today just because it says JBL doesn't mean it's junk. If it says Marantz on the front and "made in USA" on the back it's Marantz. If it says made in japan on the back it's something that Superscope threw together in a hurry because they had lost their license as sole distributer of Sony in the USA and needed a product fast. That doesn't mean that it isn't any good. It just means it isn't a Marantz.

Maron Horonzakz
12-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Thom ....The Tushinsky Bros. (Superscope) Ran the Marantz product into the ground at most every price point. Nothing but trouble in the service dept. When Phillips took over thing improved. The Esotec line was well made. Ill take a dozen Esotec Marantz units over one Tushinsky Marantz unit anyday. The present Marantz Co. is putting out a excellent product and has pulled out of the dark days.

JBL Dog
12-02-2006, 08:30 AM

You can buy replacement bulb kits for your Marantz receiver from this guy:

http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/vlampkits.html

The 2235B kit is $18.75.

SEAWOLF97
12-02-2006, 08:56 AM
If it says Marantz on the front and "made in USA" on the back it's Marantz. If it says made in japan on the back it's something that Superscope threw together .

untrue. look at the backs of the classic 22xx and 44xx series receivers and amps....MADE IN JAPAN. Of all the classic Marantz equipt that I've seen, none had been made in USA. except the speakers.

yes, the Superscope ones are EZ to spot and much inferior build quality.

Thom
12-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Ok, maybe it's a good thing that I said I'm not a Marantz expert. I did a little research so I could give you a link that would explain why you're mistaken and it seems you're not exactly. Marantz apparently started out quite special, maybe like Levinson ( from recent research, not memory) building very special tube (what else then) seperates. Superscope bought him out way back in '64 but he was still part of the company. They made the first reciever (from several sources).

The model 19, (not the first reciever) a 50 watt reciever that sold for $1000.00 was the last piece of gear that
Saul Marantz had a hand in designing. I guess for a while some models were made here and some were made in japan. I know the 19 was American, they had other recievers much more powerful that cost less. I think the 4 digit numbers indicated import, I'm not sure. What I read today has high regard for these and their quality but people I knew at the time said :thats not really Marantz. I know for a fact that for a while they were selling two tiers of at least pricing if not quality, but I guess I stand corrected, but a 2215 is not a Model 19.

Maron Horonzakz
12-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Saul Marantz bought a small mfg. co in Japan. Standard Radio of Japan. When the 10B tuner was made (USA) it almost broke him. Then he sold the Marantz Co to Tushinsky Bro. Superscope for 17 million. He left about 1967 ...Standard radio became part of Phillips. Standard radio bought back the Co. (Marantz) & Marants products are still mfg. there. Thay are now part of DM holding Co. Dennon/Marantz. I understand McIntoch has joined the DM holding org. Saul Marantz later joined forces with a small speaker co. Dahlquist... Saul introduced a new preamp at the CES (chicago) Called Lineage. designed by John Curl about 1991 but the effert failed. Thats the last time i saw Saul Marantz.

Shane Shuster
12-03-2006, 03:10 PM
D&M Holdings owns Marantz, Denon, Boston Acoustics, Snell and Mcintosh. I wonder if in 15 more years it won't just be 5 big corporations who own 95% of the audio brands.

MJC
12-03-2006, 03:27 PM
D&M Holdings owns Marantz, Denon, Boston Acoustics, Snell and Mcintosh. I wonder if in 15 more years it won't just be 5 big corporations who own 95% of the audio brands.
For the most part, competition in all industries keeps getting less and less.
30 years ago there were how many oil companies, too many to name. Now in the US there is really only about 5 left.
In CE look how many are under the Harman name. Must be near 20, consumer and pro combined.

Shane Shuster
12-03-2006, 03:45 PM
30 years ago there were how many oil companies, too many to name.

Wasn't that because the government broke up Standard Oil in the 1900's?

Fangio
12-04-2006, 02:49 AM
...look at the backs of the classic 22xx and 44xx series receivers and amps....MADE IN JAPAN.This is from another unit that I've had for almost 30 years. At least it mentioned to be designed in the U.S.

Maron Horonzakz
12-04-2006, 07:30 AM
Shane.....You mean like Harmon Industries. That would be great.... I believe there are too many audio companys now scamming the costomers. How about a Mcpingo Puck speaker.:D

HipoFutura
12-04-2006, 02:44 PM
I just picked up an old Marantz 1060 (with wood cabinet) on ebay. Should be a nice piece for a small secondary stereo system. However, I'm going to use it as a preamp for a while in place of my Phase Linear 4000 Series Two (which I love by the way). This is in a tri-amped system with a mix of tube and SS amps, as well as a variety of JBL speakers. I'm curious to see if there is a noticable sonic difference between the 1060 and the PL4000. The 1060 was kinda cool in that you can use it as an amp or preamp.

Thom
12-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Actually I did quite a bit of reading to prove myself correct. Unfortunatly it didn't exactly do that, but I'm going to guess it's because I was going on what people were saying 30+ years ago when it was happening and what I was able to read was loooking back from now. For instance my first reaction was to say of course your 22xx model Marantz was made in japan it's not a classic Marantz. Well this was the truth 30 years ago. Today it's the truth to some but to others it's not. From what I could read, and remember this isn't what I was looking for. I was looking for back up, and this isn't. When Superscope took over, they actually bought in 64' but Marantz stayed on for years, everybody thought they would run it in the ground and ,according to what I could find, the product actualy held up untill it was sold to Philips. Certainly not what I would have expected. 9 I would have associated the phillips name with quallity more than superscope)Marantz had been having some of the product made by Standard but Superscope actually bought standard. I do know that the Flagship items were made here, the very last being the model 19.I only read all this because I had been corrected and was sure I was right and nothing or almost nothing that I read backed me up so I kept on reading. I don't like being wrong, but I really don't want to be wrong and keep on repeating the same thing anyway.

SEAWOLF97
12-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Right up until the mid seventies, Marantz continued to produce excellent high-end and mid-range HiFi. But towards the end of the decade, the company found itself struggling in an increasingly competitive marketplace and in 1980, Superscope sold the rights to the Marantz brand, the dealership and all overseas assets (except USA and Canada) to Royal Philips Electronics, the Dutch consumer electronics giant. Confusingly, the Superscope ‘Marantz’ brand continued to market its own low-cost products in the US and Canada right up until 1992 when Philips also acquired the rights and dealership for North America.

------------------------------------------------------

can we argue about REAL JBL now ????

when Ed May left JBL he went to Marantz and designed speakers for 3 years before he died.

so what is REAL JBL ?? only those products designed by James B. himself ?????

http://www.quarter-a.netfirms.com/history.htm

http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fuseaction=Company.History&cont=eu&bus=hf

http://us.marantz.com/AboutUs/57.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marantz

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mpa.html

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

http://www.superscopetechnologies.com/company/history/superscopehistory.shtml

Shane Shuster
12-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Shane.....You mean like Harmon Industries. That would be great.... I believe there are too many audio companys now scamming the costomers. How about a Mcpingo Puck speaker.:D

Exactly. The small companies can take the audio magazines with them on the way out.

Maron Horonzakz
12-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Thats right...Since when do we need a 1000 pound turntable to play a 180 gram LP record? Evem my LP Scully cutting system weighs less than that. $7000. cartridge made by some obscure Japanese garu on top of Mt. Fuji? give me a break.;)

hosee
04-16-2008, 11:42 PM
I used a Marantz 2500 with my main JBL speakers in a stereo mode for some time before I went with home theater. I sold the 2500 last December locally for $1200.00. It worked well although the pots were getting a little noisy. Had it a long time (since the 70s), but I had not used it in some time and had a chance to pick up another set of JBL speakers that the money helped with.

Tweak48
04-17-2008, 01:01 PM

Among my peer group in the early '70s, if you had a 2270, L-100s and a Dual 1229 table with a Shure V-15 cartridge, you were BFMOC!!!!!:cool::cool::cool:

vernb
04-17-2008, 02:42 PM
I use JBL S8 (Paragon drivers) with Marantz SC-6 preamp and four MA-5 monoamps. Sold my JBL S2600 and my Threshold gear.
Vintage Marantz with vintage JBL really makes more music.

"I just love vintage hifi and vintage women" JBL, Billy Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Phoebe Snow, Ruth Brown and Etta James all just make me want to become one with my stereo and sofa and never go to work....

dllyons
04-17-2008, 08:53 PM
I already replied that I have a 2325 receiver with my L300's & L36's, but I have a pair of L100's upstairs that would love to be paired with a nice 2270 someday. They're currently hooked to some junk-ass Sony 60w simulated surround receiver that can't hold a candle to vintage equipment. And please don't ask me why I bought that piece of junk, because I'm not too sure myself. :banghead:
Like everyone else, I'd like to come across a 2500 or 2600 cheap, but that'll never happen.

Maron Horonzakz
04-18-2008, 06:05 AM
I,m useing 6 MA5 marantz mono amps in a triamp system... No failure of amps in 20 yrs. :D

hjames
04-18-2008, 06:22 AM
I,m useing 6 MA5 marantz mono amps in a triamp system... No failure of amps in 20 yrs. :D

Cool - I recently saw an ad for someone locally trying to sell 5 of those for $750 - (I have no direct connection)
claims to have the boxes even for 3 of them - http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ele/640044106.html (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ele/640044106.html)

Those amps DO sound interesting ...
Here's an interesting read - http://www.thevintageknob.org/MARANTZ/MA5/MA5.html

dllyons
04-18-2008, 06:33 AM
Among my peer group in the early '70s, if you had a 2270, L-100s and a Dual 1229 table with a Shure V-15 cartridge, you were BFMOC!!!!!:cool::cool::cool:

Ain't that the truth !! We had a fairly large groups of friends who were all audio fanatics, and one of them always said back in '75 or '76- "I want to have a name dropper system- JBL and Marantz". He never did come up with the $$ for a Marantz, but he did manage buying the L100's. That statement only threw more fuel to my fire of doing that very same thing.

Back then, if you remember, both of those brands were basically 'free trade' items, and you paid practically the list price everywhere they were sold. So to buy JBL and Marantz, you paid more for them than many other brands. That changed in the later 70's so many more could afford to buy those brands, and that's when I jumped on my L300's in the spring of '78.

I still want a nice 2270.

RobertinMn
10-28-2009, 02:13 PM
There is an awful lot of misinformation here concerning Marantz.

First of all, it is near universally felt that Marantz went down hill after it was sold to Phillips (1979), not before.

The model 19 was the only American made receiver, all others were made in Japan, AFAIK. All tuners after the famed (but huge money loser) tube tuner fiasco. Marantz owned Japan Radio Corp which today owns Marantz.

All of the high end gear (except tuners) was made in America up until the sale to Phillips. This includes the 240,250,500 and their preamps--3300, 3600 and 3800. It also includes the high end integrated amps such as the 1120, 1150 and the famed 1200 (250 + 3300).

AFAIK, none of the DC series amps or integrated amps were made in the USA, but they are, none the less, very highly regarded.

As for the somewhat ignorant comment above, the gear listed above, which I own (as well as much more) is to "die for" when properly refurbished and will not only hold a candle to anything made since by Marantz, easily bests 99% of it. The stats on the 250/240 alone make it one of the very finest amps EVER made--the real working THD is <.0014% while delivering a >100 damping factor--bass to die for and the sweetest mid range ever. The 500 is simply astounding.

I use them every day and just recently swapped a pair of tri-amped JBLs in favor of the higher end Imperial 9's. Once the tweets had been swapped out (per the original engineer's instructions) for new silk dome tweets that matched the over all efficiency, they zoomed past the JBLs in bass, mid range and highs--the clarity was astounding. And the sound stage is so deep and wide, I finally feel I am in the concert hall. The JBLs are presently being bi-amped by an 1120 and a 170DC. The Imp 9s by a 240,250 and 140 with a 3300 driving the Rane Xover.

My two kids in college utilize a 1060 and 140 to bi-amp their two way Altecs--they are the envy of their classmates.

My neighbors with new Rotel, Denon, Macintosh, and other such gear are always and forever trying to figure out how to get their new stuff to even come up to par with my Marantz gear--let alone surpass it.

Rolf
10-29-2009, 03:18 AM
Nice story. But as I am sure you know, we are stepping forwards. Due what was good then, is better now. ... Regarding amps.:) ... NOT speakers.

JBL 4645
10-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Yeah I use x2 Marantz 1050 one for the left and right HF on the JBL Control 5 the other for the centre channel HF. The existing channel left over is presently powering the JBL control 1 centre back.

For the JBL control 1 sidewall surrounds I use Marantz 1030.

I picked these Marantz amplifiers around early 1990 for £40.00 £45.00 and £50.00. The two 1050 I picked up from the same second hand shop and the 1030 I picked up from Hi-Fi shop that no longer exists.

These amps have done fine for their age very little issues with them.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=37497&stc=1&d=1235489898

RobertinMn
10-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Very nice, JBL--have you considered having them rebuilt?

RobertinMn
10-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Nice story. But as I am sure you know, we are stepping forwards. Due what was good then, is better now. ... Regarding amps.:) ... NOT speakers.

Oh contrare, you miss the point I made. There is nothing new, really, under the sun. All digital equipment must convert the signal to analogue for the speakers--speakers are and always will be analogue. THe reason why the Marantz name was so highly prized is due to the patents on their old designs. As long as they remain in force (and it only requires moderate "improvements" to maintain them) they represent a vast wealth in design--they will never be bested. Adding "HDAMS" only makes the design more proprietary, it does not make it better. furthermore, it makes the likelihood of those units being in service 30 years from now next to nill. Whereas the old units, like mine, will be in service. and Unlike the new gear, which depreciates each and every day in value, mine goes up in value. A vintage Marantz, brought up to snuff with modern caps, will outperform the new gear, guarantee it. Macintosh would not be making tube amps just like the old vintage ones if other people did not agree.

My guess is is that you are the "Thorens Rolf"--if so, aren't you contradicting yourself? I own three Thorens decks, I love them all. Not a one was made after 1975.

SEAWOLF97
10-29-2009, 10:21 AM

so am I understanding correctly.... Modern speakers are NOT better ?

thats good news.....:bouncy:

OBTW - have enjoyed the sound of every Marantz gear that I owned.

RobertinMn
10-29-2009, 11:19 AM
so am I understanding correctly.... Modern speakers are NOT better ?

thats good news.....:bouncy:

OBTW - have enjoyed the sound of every Marantz gear that I owned.
What has gotten better with modern speakers are the passive crossovers. updating or rebuilding the old crossovers in old speakers makes a world of difference. Caps dry out.

timc
10-29-2009, 01:07 PM
RobertinMn.

I would have to dissagree with you concerning the new TOTL Marantz package. I have been fortunate to spend extensive time with the SC-7 and MA-9's, and they are absolute magic.

You write: "What has gotten better with modern speakers are the passive crossovers"

With this i guess you are saying that passive components have gotten better. That should also then be true for the amplifiers.

I do NOT intend to pun vintage Marantz, by no means. I'm a huge fan. But i do agree with Rolf that things have moved forward. Not as much as some manufacturers want us to believe, but still.

-Tim

RobertinMn
10-29-2009, 01:54 PM
RobertinMn.

I would have to dissagree with you concerning the new TOTL Marantz package. I have been fortunate to spend extensive time with the SC-7 and MA-9's, and they are absolute magic.

You write: "What has gotten better with modern speakers are the passive crossovers"

With this i guess you are saying that passive components have gotten better. That should also then be true for the amplifiers.

I do NOT intend to pun vintage Marantz, by no means. I'm a huge fan. But i do agree with Rolf that things have moved forward. Not as much as some manufacturers want us to believe, but still.

-Tim

I too have listened to the new stuff--I have spent many hours over at HI-Fi sound in Minneapolis. But I have also spent many hours with my refurbished gear. I stand by my argument. There is no real difference between their tol then and now. It is, after all, the same basic design. I have matched my system against New Mac tube pre-amp/amp set-up feature TOL Piagra speakers. A change in tone arms and carts allowed me to best their system easily enough--especially since I don't need a subwoofer with my vintage speakers. The system was 20,000.00 + when factoring in the fancy cables, clear audio TT, etc.

Beyond all of that, I had the fellow who refurbished all of this stuff for me look through the schematics of the new gear--except for the introduction of proprietary parts which you will not be able to replace down the road (and yes, I know, Marantz and others had components custom manufactured for them, but there were and are, books available which provide generic replacements)--the only real improvement is the copper clad housings--which is not that great of an improvement if you know how to run wire and have good interconnects.

Marantz admits that the tol are rebuilds of original equipment.

As per speakers--minus some improvements by some people where voice coils are improved (but were available 30 years ago) the only real change has been in crossover design. THey use better componants--which again, were available 30 years ago, but the cost was prohibitive.

tom1040
08-19-2015, 07:32 AM
I use Marantz products with my JBl speakers and enjoy them immensely. As timc pointed out, the new reference products (although now discontinued) sound sublime (to me).

I am using the following:

Marantz MA9S2 mono blocks (300wpc, 8 ohm's/600 wpc, 4 ohm's and 150 amps currents at peaks;
Marantz SC7S2 pre-amp
Marantz SA7S1 Super audio CDP

My speakers are JBL 1400 Array with an JBL 1500 Array sub. In the process of getting some WireWorld Eclipse 7.0 XLR
cables to try out. Currently using RCA cables--I expect to hear a difference but a little skeptical. Can anyone give advise along this issue?

That is it. Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but it seems appropriate to post to it at this point.

LowPhreak
08-20-2015, 11:29 AM
My speakers are JBL 1400 Array with an JBL 1500 Array sub. In the process of getting some WireWorld Eclipse 7.0 XLR
cables to try out. Currently using RCA cables--I expect to hear a difference but a little skeptical. Can anyone give advise along this issue?

Hi Tom,

You may have a bit more quiet going from RCA to XLR, but in most shorter runs I don't think XLR makes hella much difference if you don't have a hum/noise issue to begin with. Also depends on if the connected components are "true" balanced or pseudo. Lots of articles around to explain that.

I like WireWorld, but if they don't do it for you I'd recommend trying Morrow Audio cables. http://morrowaudio.com/home

corvettedcg
08-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Up until last month I was using my Marantz 2238B (which I bought new around 1976) as a preamp feeding a pair of Crown PS400 amps, feeding JBL 4425's. I just recently acquired a McIntosh C712 to replace the Marantz 2238B.

The Marantz 2238B is now part of a second system feeding a pair of JBL 4311B.

tom1040
08-24-2015, 08:14 AM
Hi Tom,

You may have a bit more quiet going from RCA to XLR, but in most shorter runs I don't think XLR makes hella much difference if you don't have a hum/noise issue to begin with. Also depends on if the connected components are "true" balanced or pseudo. Lots of articles around to explain that.

I like WireWorld, but if they don't do it for you I'd recommend trying Morrow Audio cables. http://morrowaudio.com/home

I believe that the Marantz gear is, indeed, 'true' balanced. First time with the XLR cables so I am not sure what, if any, sound improvements there will be.

Thanks for the tip for Morrow cables. What gear do you use with them?

LowPhreak
08-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the tip for Morrow cables. What gear do you use with them?

Nothing too fancy, since I've downsized quite a lot of gear from what I've owned in the past. Right now a H/K 3490 receiver modded by Stereo Dave's (these things are the shit up to a couple grand IMO, drives the 590's very well); Soundcraftsmen RP2215-R EQ; Marantz 6005 CD; online goes through an ASUS Xonar 192k PC card; JBL Studio 590 main speakers; Audioengine 5's on the desktop; Morrow Audio MA1 i/c's and SP4's bi-wired (to avoid those horrible stock jumpers on the JBLs).

SEAWOLF97
08-24-2015, 05:28 PM
for PC sound, I'm running the JBL 120Ti's with a Technics "new class A" 130wpc integrated. (1980's)

It's a happy setup. Also fed by a 7.1 (tho it's only doing STEREO) 24bit/192 khz RealTec
card. With good source WAVES or even good MP3's , it sounds better than many friends
main systems. :)

LowPhreak
08-24-2015, 05:44 PM
^ Yep, it's amazing how good some of the better PC cards can sound with a good source. I never woulda thunk it until I tried them.

tom1040
02-19-2018, 05:54 AM
Given my satisfaction with the (now 10 year old) Marantz reference gear (MA9S2/SC7S2), I pulled the trigger on a Marantz PM-10 integrated amp. Going to try it with my JBL 4365 speakers. It should match up well with the SA11S3 cdp.