PDA

View Full Version : Hafler P3000 Transnova for driving woofers

Fangio
09-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Is that studio amp recommendable in a bi-amp setup, to drive the 15"s of my studio monitors.

150w/ch into 8ohms, mosfet outputs, NO fan. I've read a few reviews: tendency good-great, one said could cause transformer buzz instead, not class A like the bigger ones.

It's around 700€ new here. I'm looking at one in my favorite pro shop ;), offerd used (from 2003) out of a smokefree studio, technically & cosmetically very good, in the 150-180€ / 190-230$ price range - depends on further negotiation, but not more. Seems even in the US these go for more (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/msg/205507323.html), average is +300$?

I'm looking for advice. I'm not very familiar with Hafler, and would spend more than that for a decent amp. And usually I don't listen at the very high studio levels. Is there anything else I should know when considering this pro unit. Thanks a lot in advance.

Titanium Dome
09-15-2006, 11:28 AM
I have a half dozen Transana[] and/or Trans[i]nova Hafler style amps designed by Mark Albers and Jim Strickland. I would recommend them without hesitation, as long as you don't mind the working class look and feel.

What I mean by that is Hafler doesn't waste much time or money on cosmetics like anodized Aluminum or chrome or Imron® paint or wood panels. All the money goes into the guts.

With the exception of two FAA1000.5 amps I have, all the Hafler designs are pretty industrial looking.

OTOH, they sound great, have tons or head room, are stable in almost all load conditions, and take a work out in stride. Their bridging capabilities and balanced/unbalanced capabilities are nice, too.

Fangio
09-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks Dome.

... I would recommend them without hesitation, as long as you don't mind the working class look and feel...
all the Hafler designs are pretty industrial looking. You should see what I'm currently using..:duck:

Mr. Widget
09-19-2006, 10:46 AM
I have one P3000 and when I compared it to the JBL/Urei of similar specs the P3000 did sound much better... I use the TOTL Hafler 9505s in my main system... they certainly don't sound as good as some of the esoteric and tube amps I have tried, but they are a good value.

My main concern about the Haflers is that they do run hot and as we all know (or should know) is that silicon devices age more rapidly when run at high temperatures.

Widget

Titanium Dome
09-19-2006, 01:48 PM
I have one P3000 and when I compared it to the JBL/Urei of similar specs the P3000 did sound much better... I use the TOTL Hafler 9505s in my main system... they certainly don't sound as good as some of the esoteric and tube amps I have tried, but they are a good value.

My main concern about the Haflers is that they do run hot and as we all know (or should know) is that silicon devices age more rapidly when run at high temperatures.

Widget

That's one of the reasons I'm more comfortable with having the fans on mine. I know you don't like fan noise—neither do I—but the amps can be isolated so that the fans are a non-issue.

However, for someone who wants to see his amps, that's a problem. OTOH, with Hafler amps, they don't really look all that good, so I don't miss seeing them. ;)

Mr. Widget
09-19-2006, 01:57 PM
For me it has nothing to do with looking at them. I want short cable runs... as short as possible. That places them near the speakers and that means if they make noise it is a problem.

Widget