PDA

View Full Version : I need some tube amp suggestions

JBLRaiser
09-10-2006, 10:41 AM
I am presently running my Altec Model 19's with a Dynaco PAS pre and 400 amp. My idea is to try a small tube amp with eventually bi-amping the tubes to the horns, still using the 400 for the low frequency.. Any thoughts on which tube complement to use would be greatly appreciated. I would be willing to try my hand at DIY if it were relatively simple:homer:

HipoFutura
09-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Why not stay with Dynaco and consider a pair of MK III mono-blocks or an ST-70. I really like the MK III as it can be upgraded to compete with the Macs and Conrads. You can start with a plug and play piece, then perform some mods if you get the urge to upgrade. There are several on ebay.

Don

jblnut
09-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Amen - My pair of MKIII's just arrived. I'll detail everything in a post with pics soon. I don't know why I waited so long to do tubes. The difference is immediate and noticeable to everyone who has heard them. Gone is the overly bright high-end when the volume goes up. Everything just sounds "right".

I just unpacked them 1 hour ago and they are still warming up and getting better by the minute. Got 2 go - no time to waste typing tonight...

jblnut

HipoFutura
09-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Ok, Nut.... Here you go. In factory dress the MK IIIs are a bit ungainly. However, they can be made beeeeuuutttful with a bit of imagination.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I've invested a lot of love into these, and they sound better than the look.

This is one purchase decision you'll not regret! Enjoy the ride.

Don

doodlebug
09-20-2006, 09:13 AM
I currently run either McIntosh MC-225s, wired for monoblock operation or an HK Citation II. The Citation is currently installed with excellent results. I do recommend this amp along with the restoration techniques developed by Jim McShane. This might be a bit overkill, watt-wise, depending on the size of your room. The stereo MC-225s, though, allow for bi-amping someday, if necessary.

As with all older tube gear, which as others have said are excellent choices, you'll need to plan for them to be restored. I do the work myself as that's part of the fun of the hobby. Despite those that insist the 'tube sound' is only available with original parts, I do not like to worry about old tube amps and, instead, restore them fully for minimum worry for safety. There's nothing like sitting in the dark with a glass of wine and the glow of a bank of tubes with the music running.

Until just recently, it seems, the Citation II's were a bit undervalued but that's changing quickly. The Macs of course, have maintained their reputation and demand remains high.

Cheers,

David

Rolf
09-20-2006, 03:39 PM
WHEN are you tube folks going to realize that "We have come a long way since that was a question".

If you look further back, the MONO was the best thing.

Things are getting better e? NO? So the new things happen now is a set back?

HipoFutura
09-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Technology peaked with the Model-T, and has gone downhill ever since!

Don

jblnut
09-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Whoa ! what a sweet pair of amps ! Mine look very nice but nowhere near that level of customization.

What do you recommend for tubes ?

jblnut

Ok, Nut.... Here you go. In factory dress the MK IIIs are a bit ungainly. However, they can be made beeeeuuutttful with a bit of imagination.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I've invested a lot of love into these, and they sound better than the look.

This is one purchase decision you'll not regret! Enjoy the ride.

Don

HipoFutura
09-21-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't have the experience to recommend one tube over another. Currently I'm using SovTek KT-88 and have no complaints. Prior to the rebuild I had Electro Harmonix 6550. The pre/post rebuild difference in sound is nothing short of astonishing. However, it's due to the circuit changes, not the tubes. Rumor has it Svetlana 6550 is the best.

Don

Rolf
09-22-2006, 12:45 AM
Technology peaked with the Model-T, and has gone downhill ever since!

Don

Yes, I got the feeling that some here on the forum actually believe that.

I can understand that taking care of old and original equipment is an issue, but actually use it in a modern setup? No, that I do not understand as there are so much better equipment today that can be bought.

jblnut
09-22-2006, 08:57 AM
You're right - I should just buy a Sonic Impact T-amp and some Bose speakers and quit this silly hobby. How could some 40 year old tube amp and some 20 year old speakers possibly compete with today's technology (dollar for dollar) ? Why did I waste all the time saving those records...

:blink:

jblnut

Yes, I got the feeling that some here on the forum actually believe that.

I can understand that taking care of old and original equipment is an issue, but actually use it in a modern setup? No, that I do not understand as there are so much better equipment today that can be bought.

alskinner
09-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Rolf

Yes, you can buy off the shelf tube amps that beat the stock Dynaco Mark IIIs or ST-70s, but with a little knowledge and skill these amps can be brought up to a standard that is equal to amps costing up to five times as much. Not that the Dynacos sound bad in stock form. The Dynaco transformers are considered to be some of the best built. Most of all it is the experience and knowledge of the circuit designs that is rewarding for me. I have 4 Dynaco Mark III amps and a ST-70 in various stages of upgrade. Do you have a dislike for the williamson circuit design or just older tube amps altogether?

Warm Regards
AL

Rolf
09-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Rolf

Yes, you can buy off the shelf tube amps that beat the stock Dynaco Mark IIIs or ST-70s, but with a little knowledge and skill these amps can be brought up to a standard that is equal to amps costing up to five times as much. Not that the Dynacos sound bad in stock form. The Dynaco transformers are considered to be some of the best built. Most of all it is the experience and knowledge of the circuit designs that is rewarding for me. I have 4 Dynaco Mark III amps and a ST-70 in various stages of upgrade. Do you have a dislike for the williamson circuit design or just older tube amps altogether?

Warm Regards
AL

Hi AL. Yes for those of you that can fix, mix and trix I am sure some of the "old" stuff can be brought back to life. For the rest of us (me f.ex) that having trouble to solder a RCA plug on a wire the only choice is to buy new stuff.

I don't have a dislike for much equipment at all, but the truth is that amplifies have gone true a much larger change for the better than loudspeakers over the last 30 years. Better components and better designs. For some time ago I listen to an old favorite of mine, the mid 70's Accuphase E202, and I can't believe that I once listen that "bad" sound.

I find it extremely fun to look at all the pictures of vintage electronics some of you guys have, and can understand that putting together a complete 50, 60 or 70's system is great. I wish I have the space in my house to do the same. But for day to day listening there must be used newer designs.

Hope this explains my slightly sarcasm regarding "old" tube and "old" transistor technology.

alskinner
09-23-2006, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I do have modern transistor amps that I use for the bass and midbass in my quad amp system. On the HF and UHF horns I do find that tubes for me do a good job. I agree that a lot of the early transistor and tube designs were anything but HI FI. But even these can be made better using the better components we have today. The williamson circuit used in the Dynacos did have a problem maintaining the phase inversion part of the circuit caused by differences in the cathode resistance and the 47K resistors used. If the resistor values changed or were not matched to the cathode reistance it caused distortion to grow. That is why it is so important to change the resistors and capacitors out in older tube amps.

There has been great advances in circuit design over the years, unfortunately the tube and transistor amps that I consider great are priced way beyond my budget.

Again, Rolf thanks for the explanation, I wasn't sure of your reasoning, now I understand where you're coming from.

AL