PDA

View Full Version : New Hafler Amplifiers

Titanium Dome
08-12-2006, 08:50 PM
In this thread

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=249

near the end I mentioned that I'd gotten four new Hafler amps for less than $1000 during the phase-out of Hafler gear by Rockford Corporation.

Here's a little thread on them, in case any of you get a chance to purchase these at close out prices. Especially if you have the chance to score a leftover sight unseen, this may be helpful.

Titanium Dome
08-12-2006, 08:56 PM
I got one GX2600 and three SA2300 amps. Here's a threesome showing each type. That's a vintage Soundcraftsmen DX-4200 Preamp/EQ on top.

Titanium Dome
08-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Impedance matching switches adorn the front. Evident is part of the massive heat sink and "wind tunnel" for cooling. The air exits the front.

Titanium Dome
08-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Plenty of LED feedback is available. Volume attenuators for each channel and stereo/mono autobridging switches complete the front panel.

Titanium Dome
08-12-2006, 09:12 PM
I had a hard time getting good shots of the rears, so I had to disconnect everything and kind of jack things around. Here the real differences between the GX2600 and SR2300s is apparent. The GX2600 has built in crossover circuitry, CD horn correction, and sensitivity dip switches. Both have balanced inputs, "no touch" speaker terminals, and dual thermostatically controlled fans.

Titanium Dome
08-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Beside typical modular power cord ports, the main point of interest here is the power rating into 2, 4, or 8 Ohms. Now you can see who's the boss!

Titanium Dome
08-12-2006, 11:51 PM
I ran one SR2300 through a ProCo switcher so I could drive three different sets of speakers in turn, using the FAP T1 and XP50 DVD player for input.

The speakers were the ol' trio: L250, XPL200, and L7 pairs. I chose one of the great Deep Purple tunes from Fireball, the well-recorded "No, No, No." off the digital remaster. This is a great mix of Blackmore's idiosyncratic guitar playing, Lord's Hammond organ, and Gillan's scorching vocals. Glover's bass is full and powerful. Paice's drums are smart, crisp, and punctuated.

For all three speakers, the Hafler created a strong, deep, wide soundstage. Placement was stable and precise. The sound was natural and open.

The L250 produced a big, powerful sound, with the bass and midbass being solid, powerful and convincing. The mids and highs were pretty good, but not as good as the other two speakers.

The XPL200 was mind blowing in the midrange and highs. The Ti domes were just incredible sounding. The cymbals were in the room. Gillan's vocals were in the room. The guitar screeched and the organ groaned--in the room. The bass was a bit less convincing.

The L7 was at peak form with the infusion of Hafler power. The cymbals were incredibly sharp, the midbass grunge on the guitar and the organ was powerful and convincing, the bass just as compelling as from the L250, with only the midrange falling behind as the L7's four-incher couldn't match the 09Ti from the XPL200.

These Hafler amps are powerful, clean, pro quality units that will drive just about anything. They provide an accurate soundstage and stable imaging with no apparent coloration. The fans might pose a problem to the sensitive of hearing, but I put the amps out of sight and sound, so I couldn't hear a thing. They make a super nice addition to my amplifier stable.

JBLnsince1959
08-13-2006, 03:59 AM
hey dome:

How did ( or do) the PS series compare to the other three speakers. I'll really like to know..:bouncy:

Bob Womack
08-13-2006, 05:55 AM
We're up to our eyeballs in Halfer TransNovas here where I work. We've got four control rooms based exclusively around them. In my main control room alone we have ten sides (five amps) powering the mains (Urei 813c), surrounds (Bag Ends), and small monitors (Auratones). I'm extremely pleased with them. I love the high-end detail especially. A side benefit is that they make enough heat to create a great hand-warmer in our cold machine room. The one oddity is the rocker power switch, where you push the UPPER end to turn on the amp and a green LED glows on the LOWER (?) end. Hehehehe...

Bob

Titanium Dome
08-13-2006, 08:39 AM
hey dome:

How did ( or do) the PS series compare to the other three speakers. I'll really like to know..:bouncy:

I haven't put them together with the PS yet, though the FAA1000.5 amps I'm using there are really Hafler Transana amps with Fosgate Audionics cases.

Titanium Dome
08-13-2006, 10:04 PM
High Desert Audio currently is selling four brand new Hafler amps on ebay. Though they are lower power models, they are very good deals at current prices, like the P1500s which are 75/W channel currently well under $100 with less than 24 hours to go.

Here's one example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Hafler-P1500D-studio-power-amplifier-75-watts-x-2_W0QQitemZ320015087696QQihZ011QQcategoryZ23787QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Paypal and US shipping only.

Don't be put off by the balanced inputs. For a couple of bucks you can get adapters to female RCA at Radio Shack.

Zilch
08-13-2006, 11:21 PM
For a couple of bucks you can get adapters to female RCA at Radio Shack.And also a hand-held SPL meter for $50 while yer there.

[Standard equipment. Measure stuff. Be safe.... :thmbsup:]

Titanium Dome
08-30-2006, 04:04 PM
The printed specs for these amps look nice, but I was a little concerned about the published THD. I inquired about this to Hafler support. Apparently, the < symbol is the key, since the typical THD is substantially less than that. In any event, they're dead quiet to me.

In practice, they sound spectacular, and as Bob indicated the high end detail is is wonderful. They also put out solid, clean bass and tight percussion as evidenced by my neighbor's attention when I played some classic Deep Purple passages.

Titanium Dome
08-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Every amplifier manufacturer has some voodoo terminology to go along with its art and science. Hafler explains its features:

Ken Pachkowsky
08-30-2006, 04:13 PM
I have always thought Haflers were all around great sounding amps and have owned several over the years. I think Widget uses a couple of them as well?

Great score dome....Are the fans noisy or can they be turned off?

Ken

Titanium Dome
08-30-2006, 04:35 PM
I have always thought Haflers were all around great sounding amps and have owned several over the years. I think Widget uses a couple of them as well?

Great score dome....Are the fans noisy or can they be turned off?

Ken

hi Ken.

The only heatsinks are right down the middle of the enclosure from front to back, like a tunnel. The fans are not selectable on/off, though one could disconnect the leads. However, I think that'd be a recipe for disaster.

Most of the time they're off, but under extreme conditions they do come on. At turn on, they rev to full output for about a second, then turn off until needed. I suppose this is a safety check to indicate the fans are functional.

When I crank it, a slow, steady stream of warm air proceeds out of the front, though I honestly can't hear the fans. However, during subsequent quiet passages, the fans can be noticed momentarily.

This is a non-issue since I put the amps in a separate space. They can be as noisy as they want back there, plus I can climate control them better.

Titanium Dome
01-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Looks like HighDesertAudio is at it again. I picked up a new Hafler
SR2600 (600W/ch) off ebay for $314. What a deal! That's 50 cents a Watt.

elliot
01-16-2007, 02:47 PM
WTG Dome.:applaud: Let's see the set up know!!!

Titanium Dome
08-14-2008, 09:24 AM
I'll soon post some pictures of the new Hafler stack as set up in the music room.

For now, this is a bump to make this thread available to posters in another thread.

maxwedge
01-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Seems Highdesertaudio still has some Hafler stock because I just picked up a new P3000 from them for $274 on ebay. I think that's a good deal? I'm hooked on Haflers too!:blink: And there are 3 in the closet too!:p
The P3000 isn't in the pic and I guess I need to put a hafler sticker on the QSC LOL.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/maxwedge572/Audio/AmpStack.jpg

robertbartsch
01-07-2009, 11:54 PM
interesting...

Crown is offering a factory rebate of up to 100 USD on the XLS series amps through January.

Titanium Dome
01-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Nice score and nice stack. :yes:

Every once in a while a Hafler or two will come trickling out. The prices they go for are ridiculous, considering the pedigree and build of the things.

Considering the SR2600 was around $1800 and the SR2300 for $1400, these excellent amps have been selling for less than 20% of retail. That's a deal!

maxwedge
01-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Nice score and nice stack. :yes:

Every once in a while a Hafler or two will come trickling out. The prices they go for are ridiculous, considering the pedigree and build of the things.

Considering the SR2600 was around $1800 and the SR2300 for $1400, these excellent amps have been selling for less than 20% of retail. That's a deal!
Yeah, you got some smokin deals on yours.:cheers:
My P3000 should be here today and it's going to take the place of that Pro2400 that runs my horns, that's a P1500 that runs my tweets. I think the P3000 retailed for $800 back when and would probably go for more these days if it was still being made.

boputnam
01-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Every amplifier manufacturer has some voodoo terminology to go along with its art and science. Hafler explains its features:So are these Class A/B or G...?

scott fitlin
01-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Yeah, you got some smokin deals on yours.:cheers:
My P3000 should be here today and it's going to take the place of that Pro2400 that runs my horns, that's a P1500 that runs my tweets. I think the P3000 retailed for $800 back when and would probably go for more these days if it was still being made.That Pro2400 was one of the amps, I DID LIKE on horns, in particular. MOSFETS!

:bouncy:

maxwedge
01-13-2009, 09:58 PM
So are these Class A/B or G...?
Those SRs are class G

maxwedge
01-13-2009, 10:04 PM
That Pro2400 was one of the amps, I DID LIKE on horns, in particular. MOSFETS!

It's nice but I think the P3000 is a bit nicer, at least in my situation.:)

Titanium Dome
01-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Those SRs are class G

Yep, so are the GX models.

scott fitlin
01-15-2009, 03:41 AM
It's nice but I think the P3000 is a bit nicer, at least in my situation.:)You have cone midrange?

If that is the case, I'll agree 110%, the 3000 will almost undoubtedly give you superior performance from your speakers.

When I speak about a certain amp as one I LIKE FOR MIDS, I always mean 2in compression drivers on a horn. FOR THAT, I LIKE THE PRO2400,it is a sweet soun that pairs well with compression drivers! And you know only a few watts with comp drivers!

But a direct radiating cone mid transducer is a different device. Here, the bigger amp should begin to give you much improved dynamics, better imaging, and IT WILL SHARPEN AND TIGHTEN the FOCUS of your entire system.

Nonetheless, you have a nice collection of amps, there!

maxwedge
01-15-2009, 08:18 PM
You have cone midrange?
Yeah, 2206 but one of my P500s drive them. the P3000 is driving 2445s/2385s. I think the P3000 sounds as good as the Pro2400 did but thats in my living room and may be it would be different in a live sound situation but I don't do that anymore. Used to when I was younger but it was a hobby and not my profession. You do live sound, right? Or repair biz?

Nonetheless, you have a nice collection of amps, there!Thank you and I appreciate your input.:)

scott fitlin
01-15-2009, 08:58 PM
My sound system is a massive system, for dance club music, resides in the bumper cars in Coney Island.

But, again, I'll agree with you, the 2445 works well with a bit more power, and I have heard them, and that does work.

As a matter of fact, however, once I changed my old Altec 15,s into my current woofers, my old d-150A wasn't cuttin it anymore either. I went thru a few different amps, and I hit my sonic " YEAH, Thats It " with a Crown DC-300A running my 6 2441,s!

maxwedge
01-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Oh Yeah! I remember now some posts I read about your sound system and it was very impressive as I recall.:thmbsup:

scott fitlin
01-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Oh Yeah! I remember now some posts I read about your sound system and it was very impressive as I recall.:thmbsup:Thank you I appreciAte that!

ITS a BIG sound,!

Titanium Dome
01-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Did someone, I say, did someone say "Horns"?

When I absolutely, positively must drive a CD horn, the Hafler GX2600 is the amp of choice. Made for each other, as it were...

Titanium Dome
06-13-2010, 11:44 PM
In reviewing this old thread to link it, I couldn't figure out if I ever wrote down the final tally, so for posterity:

1 GX2600
1 SR2600
3 SR2300

Every time I fire these babies up I'm grateful that I got them, especially at such good prices. Every so often one pops up on ebay, and I'm tempted, but five is enough. Plus they seem to go for prices a lot higher than I paid for these, and while I'm not cheap, I am frugal. :p

Titanium Dome
06-20-2010, 02:15 PM
This post is linked from here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?10065-XPL200-Rehab&p=290202&viewfull=1#post290202

Since it does not show the XPLs, it seemed more appropriate here. :dont-know:

It shows the three Hafler SR2300 amps.

The bottom amp is used to power two Fosgate Audionics THX subs with JBL LE14H-1 drivers. These are used when playing Wii or listening to MCH music using the JBL SVA Series set up.

The middle amp drives the LF from the DX-1 to the XPL200s.

The top amp drives the HF from the DX-1 to the XPL200s.

Above that, the excellent Citation 5.0 pre/pro is used exclusively as a 2.0 analog unit, and on top of that is the DX-1.

Titanium Dome
06-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Here's what the Citation looks like with the lights out. It's got the same display look as the Synthesis® (Lexicon) gear.

One of the SR2300 input signal lights is visible, too.