PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please: Crown PS-400 v. DC300A-II?

BMWCCA
08-08-2006, 12:18 PM
I've been a Crown owner nearly as long (32 years) as I've been JBL owner and due to my kindness in loaning out my beloved D150A-II to a friend with a blown PhaseLinear 400, I'm short one amp to properly try out my new 4412As. Sure I could just disassemble one system or perch the 4412s on top of the C37 Lo-boys. . . .or I could use this as an excuse to buy more old stuff!

So, I'm considering a Crown PS-400 and trying to find out if it's worth the trouble I'd be putting a friend through to pick it up for me as a local-to-him purchase. Can anyone compare it sonically and durability-wise to my DC300A Series-II? Is it too much of a technical amp to use for home sound reproduction? I've searched and find some of you using it for subs but nothing about it as a main amp for L112/L150A/4412A type boxes. If I'm happy with the D-150/D150A-II/DC-300A-II amps will I find equal if-not-more happiness with the PS-400 series? Thanks in advance.

Robh3606
08-08-2006, 02:39 PM
I use PS-200 in my active set-ups and like them. They are biased to run class A for the first couple of watts, are built like tanks, are supper quiet with no fans. I like them better than the 150 Series 2's I have on the low end of my 80's system. They just sound better to me at least the way I am using them. In most cases they are only doing a couple of watts and are never driven hard like in a PA application.

Rob:)

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/k1073-4.pdf

BMWCCA
08-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, and the link. I've already been to the Crown site and, believe it or not, I still have the original spec brochures for not only the PS-200 and PS-400, but also the D-150 Series II, and DC-300A Series II with dated copyrights of 1981 and 1982, stashed away with my owners' manuals, so I guess I've been harboring these thoughts for several decades by now! I'm trying to pull the trigger long-distance.

rgrjit8
08-08-2006, 09:04 PM
I used to own a PowerLine Four amp which is, I believe, a WAFfier version of the PS-400.
I liked it, but remember wishing it had more balls. I was using it bridged to run a B380 sub at the time.
I'm sure it would have made me happier if I'd run it in a more conventional manner. I wish I had it back. :banghead:

My vote is to check it out!

scott fitlin
08-08-2006, 09:41 PM
The PS and Powerline series are basically the same. The PS was the pro variant, and the Power Line was Crowns attempt, in the `80,s at the consumer/home audio market.

I have them all, they are all good, the PS and Power Line series uses what Crown called Multi-Mode circuitry, which allowed the amps pre driver stage to run in Class A fir the first couple of watts, and then, as the amp gets pushed, it switches over to AB+B. I happen to like the Power Line series, and the PS series, I also happen to like the older and original D series, as in D-150A,s and DC-300,s and the D-75.

Since I`ve used them all, I do notice slight differences between the different series and generations of amps, but only slight, nothing major. If you use them properly, you should get great sound out of any of them. I particualrly like the highs using Crown Power Line 2,s mid 80,s, and I like a crown D-150A, white face circa 1978 or so for my mid horns. The slight differences in sound are due to the circuit refinements and possibly the newer generation of output transistors. And there are some who say the older D series was the Best Crown ever made.

Most people always said the Crowns sounded good, but they wished they had a little more power, even back then!

They were all built like tanks, have outstanding reliability, and, if its enough power for your speakers, still work well today!

:)

Rolf
08-09-2006, 12:01 AM
the PS and Power Line series uses what Crown called Multi-Mode circuitry, which allowed the amps pre driver stage to run in Class A fir the first couple of watts, and then, as the amp gets pushed, it switches over to AB+B.

Sorry to hack this thread, but please take a look at the Perreaux web site www.perreaux.com (http://www.perreaux.com) . They must be using a similar technically. Works in Class A to about 10W.