PDA

View Full Version : New Lamp Stands!

robpatton
07-12-2006, 09:38 PM
These give the K2s a run for their money. K2s still have them on the high end. Low end goes to the PMCs.

Rob

Steve Gonzales
07-12-2006, 11:01 PM
These give the K2s a run for their money. K2s still have them on the high end. Low end goes to the PMCs.

Rob Hi Rob,

You sure come up with some cool gear. I think those speakers use a "Volt" low frequency driver with integral heat sinking in the cones?. Curious, you say that these give the K2's a run for their money?. That I'd have to hear. Too bad you're in FLA and I'm in CA. Glad to see you back posting, keep it coming, Best Regards, Steve G.

BTW: JBLsince1959: In my best Hanibal Lecter: "Luv the new avatar"-S.G.

JBLnsince1959
07-13-2006, 06:27 AM
In one word, women; second word, girley men.

I've been doing extensive reasearch into who's responsible for this sad state of affairs and you're right..in fact here he is...

JBLnsince1959
07-13-2006, 06:29 AM
Hey Rob...

Good to see you back guy:applaud: :banana: :dancin:

By the way can you tell me more about those speakers, i'm not familiar with them...

Don McRitchie
07-13-2006, 07:27 AM
I can add a bit. PMC is a British studio monitor company that markets their pro model line to the consumer market as well. While their product line is distinct, I think it is fair to say that they represent a family of monitor companies that that traces its roots to ATC in the mid 70's.

ATC is another British monitor company that started out making revolutionary drivers in the mid to late 70's. Most famous was a 3" soft dome midrange driver that had similar output to compression driver/horns and with a bandwidth that allowed a cross-over point as low as 300 Hz. This is the driver that largely banished horns from studio main monitors in the 1980's. It was felt by many to offer a smoother amplitude response and the wider dispersion allowed a more even power response.

Other studio monitor companies, like Quested, built systems around this driver as did some consumer loudspeaker companies like Proac. I don't know this for a fact, but I have been led to believe that PMC started out using the ATC soft dome mid, but have subsequently developed a design of their own for this type of driver. Regardless, I have heard both the PMC monitor line and the ATC monitor line. I consider both to be among a handful of speakers that I consider the best available. They are quite pricey, but are among the few brands that I consider to represent value for money at the highest end of the market.

As far as a comparison to the S9800, I would still take that system. There is something about the speed and transparency of beryllium drivers that cannot be matched with a soft dome radiators, though I give the nod to the PMC/ATC systems for absolute neutrality. The bass deficiency of the S9800 is real in comparison to the PMC, but it is quite easily addressed. The JBL is tuned for small Japanese rooms that have significant boundary reinforcement. It has a gradually rolled off LF extension that can simply be brought back up to a flat response with EQ. The 1500AL can take substantial EQ with negligible effects on overall output and dynamics.

spkrman57
07-13-2006, 08:30 AM
That was quite a bit of information you shared with us!

I would have to look at the S9800's as what I would like to have with a sub if necessary.

But then again, I think horns rule!

Ron;)