PDA

View Full Version : There's no kill like....Overkill

jblnut
11-10-2003, 10:01 AM
I was in the shop this weekend getting new surrounds put on a pair of LE14H-1's and had an interesting discussion with the tech.
I noticed a large white cone up on his shelf that had to be 24" across. I asked him what it was and he said it was from some company that was long out of business. We talked some more and the subject of the EV 30 came up. He said that one of his customers in the "old days" had several. Several I asked? Why would you need more than one or 2 of these monsters. His reply still has me laughing...

" This guy had a cabin in the Maine woods with 4 EV 30's built into the walls and I don't even recall how many other drivers arrayed around the (small) room. He filled all the walls with sand to deaden them. When I asked what kind of music he liked he said 'you know, things like jets taking off and stuff like that'.
Somehow I never got up there to listen to it :-)".

Can you imagine 4 EV 30's in a small cabin ? LOL :-)

Besides ludicrous car stereos, who else has heard tell of this level of audio insanity ?

jblnut

Ron K
11-10-2003, 12:51 PM
I built some boxes for a buddy years back for the 30 inch EVs. They were 25 cubic foot each. Later he found out the optimum size box suggested by EV was 50 Ft. He had me build them and they were fun to do. I crawled inside and designed the bracing etc. This was after putting 2 30Ws in a greyhound bus for him. Good day, Ron

Alex Lancaster
11-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Nothing succeeds like excess, right?

Alex.

JBL Dog
11-10-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
Nothing succeeds like excess, right?

Alex.

Go big, or go home!

:yes:

This message is from JBL Dog :band:

Oldmics
11-15-2003, 11:12 PM
Heres an example of excess from Calif.This is in the June 1954 issue of Audio magazine.Its a low frequency CONCRETE horn flair that loads into the owners house for listening pleasure in the living room. As the owner states "If there isn"t room for it in the house,why not build it outside?" Somebody who lives in Calif. please ride by his address given as 11900 Westminster Place,Los Angeles and see if this thing still exists.

JBL Dog
11-15-2003, 11:59 PM
Looks like the home is in a cul de sac.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&address=11900%20Westminster%20Place&city=Los%20Angeles&state=CA%20zipcode=&homesubmit=Get+Map

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

Ski
11-16-2003, 01:56 AM
That explains it. He's using the surrounding houses as the mouth.

jtgyn
12-05-2003, 01:24 AM
G'Day,
Here is a photo from a 1976 Electronics Australia magazine.
These speakers are owned by a landscape artist in Nowra. (About 2 hrs south of Sydney)

The caption reads...

"The steel railing behind the curtain is not merely for decorative reasons. It also serves the very important function of preventing someone from inadvertently stumbling right down one of the low frequency horns!"