PDA

View Full Version : Stuff they don't tell you

Rusnzha
04-28-2006, 09:50 PM
I stumbled into this totally by accident. I don't know if this applies to any other SACD player, but it happened with my Sony NS999ES. I sat down with my glass of vodka and put a CD on my surround sound. I was totally fine with the sound, but I noticed I was only playing my front speakers since my receiver was set to multichannel. I switch it to analog and PL2, and the seven speakers didn't sound half as good as the two from the multichannel inputs. Those S 412s never fail to amaze me. I stuck my vodka in the freezer and ran out to Radio Shack and got a couple of Y connectors. I split my front multichannel outputs to the multichannel inputs and the CD inputs. It was a hell of an upgrade for 8 bucks. I quit using the optical inputs a while ago since even the CD outs form this player sounded better, but this is an order of magnitude better still. I don't know how this will work out in another system, but for 8 bucks, you can't go wrong!

I just did the same thing with my DVD-A player and the same thing happened. This will work.

Zilch
04-28-2006, 09:59 PM
So, let me be sure I've got this right:

You're playing the same program material through three speaker systems on each side?

Rusnzha
04-29-2006, 12:27 PM
If you mean 7 channel stereo, no. I am using the front L and R multichannel outputs in place of the CD/audio outputs for both stereo listening and surround sound. I have them Y-connected into the regular CD inputs and the front L & R multi-channel inputs. I prefer the sound of the analog (even the CD/audio) outputs on the SACD player to the digital outputs. I think this is because the DACs in the player are better than the ones in the receiver. I just tried this with my DVD-A player and got similar results, so I think it is safe to say that this will work on any hi-def player.