PDA

View Full Version : Janis Subwoofer

nrwjbl
04-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi,
I'm using a Janis 15" Subwoofer (New York) from the 70's. The woofer is not working properly (scratching) so I tried to open the woofer-case to get it repaired but until now without any success.
I pulled out 12 long screws from the bottom, the top did not move at all.
There are no other screws to be found, must be a weired thing to get it opened. There are no other screws to find and the case can only be opened from the bottom. If anybody could give helpful hints thanks in advance.
Maybe someone has got same problems before but I think over in Germany Janis products were not seen very often.
Attached some pics.

JuniorJBL
04-11-2006, 10:58 AM
I am not sure but my guess would be that there is some kind of seal that has stuck to the other part of the box. You really need an air tight box for this type of stuff to work properly.

Fred Sanford
04-11-2006, 03:28 PM
I had one that was caught in a minor flood, there was no easy way into the box- the bottom had to be pried off & replaced with new, if I remember correctly. I also remember the driver inside being pretty cheesy. It ended up getting repaired, but then sitting in my office for months, people wouldn't even take it home for free. To the curb it went, the amp/x-over to E-Bay.

Nice looking cabinet, though. I can talk to my friend that did the repair, maybe he has some hints for you.

je

nrwjbl
04-13-2006, 08:54 AM
.... I also remember the driver inside being pretty cheesy. It ended up getting repaired, but then sitting in my office for months, people wouldn't even take it home for free. To the curb it went, the amp/x-over to E-Bay...
je

Hi Fred,
I too read about some minor quality of the woofer chassis in a magazine. The chassis was classified far under the exspected value of a pretty costly woofer at that times. Actually I used it as a nice table in my basement studio and I'm not keen on opening up the box and damaging it as it was sealed pretty perfectly. Obviously nobody at Janis exspected the woofer to be opened in this life again.
Mabe a good idea to sell it on ebay in favour of a really good JBL-subwoofer.
So, what is your recommendation for a really good JBL-one ?

peter
(do we have to change to another forum now ?)