PDA

View Full Version : L-Acoustics

boputnam
04-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Last night I stopped-by a show some friends were working at the Great American Music Hall, San Francisco. There's a new(er) system there, than I knew from past shows, and it's sound is very impressive - worth a report.

Mains are L-Acoustics "Kudo" flown, 5 a side. Kudo is the newest line fom L-Acoustics. Active 3-way, vertical line source array with adjustable horizontal coverage (Wavefront Sculpture Technology) http://www.l-acoustics.com/site-US/produitsus.htm

The coverage is astonishingly even - I could not find a single lobe (or null) spot anywhere. Equally impressive is the uniform SPL - they are really no louder as you get closer to the mains. The SPL at FOH is same as mid-field - a very unfamiliar condition, and allows for lower overall SPL.

Voicing is excellent, and intelligibility extremely high. The delays were well implemented, giving a very uniform wave front.

If you get a chance go there for a show, do it. Or, if you know someone's got a L-Acoustics setup near you, post a report from the field. These systems are still a relative rarity, and their roll-out and operation is strictly controlled to maintain uniformity.

As now planned, we are bringing in the V-DOSC and dV-DOSC for the annual Jerry Day gig, 6 August. That amphitheatre should be a fabulous setting for this system. Mark your Bay Area calendars!!
:rockon1:

johnaec
04-07-2006, 03:27 PM
As I recall, the L-Acoustics V-DOSC is Oldmics favorite concert series speaker.

John

scott fitlin
04-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Ive always heard great things about L-Acoustics, they are just extremely expensive.

Mr. Widget
04-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Last night I stopped-by a show some friends were working at the Great American Music Hall, San Francisco. There's a new(er) system there, than I knew from past shows, and it's sound is very impressive - worth a report.Mrs. Gadget and I were there last month... very nice! :bouncy:

Widget

Oldmics
04-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Hey Gang

The Kudo rig just got a new set of presets from the factory that makes it sound so MUCH better.
There were some non-uniform patterns that needed to be addressed and they did get it right.

Bo,You have absolutly GOT TO BE THERE AS THEY SET THAT RIG UP!!!!!!! for Jerry Day.

The reason that they sound so good is all about the software calculations in combination with the hang.Course the boxs are correctly designed.Its all about that hi frequency waveguide (right Widget ;) )

You will learn SO much.You gotta go.

Oldmics-Certified "L" Acoustics technician (and I sell them also)

boputnam
04-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Oldmics-Certified "L" Acoustics technician (and I sell them also)Way?

And, as with all your recommendations Dood, I will follow them, and certainly will be there.

SoS is doing the rig, and bringing some great system guys. I am SO looking forward to it...

:dancin: