PDA

View Full Version : Advice ...........Again. This time its Turntables

SUPERBEE
03-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Everyone here has been terrific about giving it, So I will ask again.

I have been running a Thorens 125 MK II with a Linn Basik Plus arm and a Shure V15 type 5 cartridge. Today as I tried to play a record it sounded HORRIBLE and I noticed the needle was off angle and the cartridge was almost dragging on the LP. I figured it was time to replace the cartridge as it is almost 6 years old and I started to order one up but then I thought I would ask the forum here for recommendations.

Any suggestions?

GordonW
03-24-2006, 01:48 PM
If you wanna stay with a moving magnet (to keep the same signal level to the preamp), I'd seriously look at an Ortofon 540 Mk II... around $280. Or, they have the 530, for less $ ($220 or so).

Basically, I'm a BIG fan of line-contact styli... MUCH quieter background noise level than ellipticals. And Ortofon makes some of the best styli (Fritz Geiger, on the higher models!) of anyone...

If the sky-is-the-limit... the Benz Ace ($500) is available in a high-output version, that will work with most "normal" phono inputs. You would need to get a "loading kit" to plug into the interconnect at the preamp... to load the cartridge down to like, a 300 ohm load or so (instead of 47K for a moving-magnet cartridge). One of the simply most amazing cartridges available, at any price, IME...

Regards,
Gordon.

edgewound
03-24-2006, 02:23 PM
I highly recommend this gentleman:

http://www.brooksberdanltd.com/

Brooks Berdan is a former JPL engineer that followed his passion for analog recording reproduction. He is world renowned and a very nice guy...and in SoCal. He'll take good care of your turntable needs.

SUPERBEE
03-24-2006, 11:23 PM
I highly recommend this gentleman:

http://www.brooksberdanltd.com/

Brooks Berdan is a former JPL engineer that followed his passion for analog recording reproduction. He is world renowned and a very nice guy...and in SoCal. He'll take good care of your turntable needs.

EW

Just to let you know that guy sold my friend a defective table that he "Promised" would work fine. After 3 weeks my friend took it back for a refund and the guy was kinda jerky. I am NOT saying the guy is a bad egg but YMMV.

boputnam
03-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Great article on turntable optimization in the current issue of Mix (March 2006).

SUPERBEE
03-26-2006, 02:44 AM
OK....

After much reading I think I am gonna keep the V15 type 5 and just get a VN5MR replacment. I found them for like a C note

duaneage
03-26-2006, 06:06 PM
OK....

After much reading I think I am gonna keep the V15 type 5 and just get a VN5MR replacment. I found them for like a C note

Hang onto that Shure, They stopped making them last year because the beryllium used in the shanks became too hard to get. They pledged 5 more years of needles unless they can get more Be.

I bought mine from MD music in Chi-Town last march and now they are all gone. I will get a spare needle next year JIC.

I really like the Shure, it tracks wonderfully and provides a great amount of detail. The response is really good.