Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4315a's in a new ballgown

4315a's in a new ballgown

I finally got there with my recovery project. 4315's that have a long story behind them. The original cabinets were destroyed by water and then subsequent rebuilds were not satisfactory. I had had problems with the x/o as well which were resolved with some help from Forum members { thanks Giskard } needed some new chokes and a couple of caps. The ports are on the back ' I used Balvenie 12 year old Doublewood whisky bottle tubes. dont use the 10 year old they just don't sound right. Anyway they sound just grand although I had forgotten that they soak power. My old Accuphase E202 just gets there but just . . . Hope you all like the look of them. I might make some grills but I doubt it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by macaroonie; 08-19-2006 at 04:53 AM. Reason: no attatchment

"... The ports are on the back ' I used Balvenie 12 year old Doublewood whisky bottle tubes. dont use the 10 year old they just don't sound right. ..."

And just how many of them "ports" did you have to go through to get ones just right?

David F

J.A.F.S.

Thumbs up Single malt and JBL

Single malt and JBL - sounds like a "bonnie combination"
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

single malt

As it happens gentlemen my ex girlfriend worked for Glenfiddich who own Balvenie. A steady supply was forthcoming. The 12 is splendid imho. Do try it and add water to taste. We could start a whole thread on Malts hmmm.

sorry folks picture seems not to have appeared . . been thru the attatchment process. anyone got any hints Ta

Picture's there, you've just gotta be logged in to view it. Full details on uploading pics at;

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=817

Beauuu-ti-ful 4-way content, aesthetic design. Would love to hear them.

Congratulations macaroonie, looks like a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie
    As it happens gentlemen my ex girlfriend worked for Glenfiddich who own Balvenie. A steady supply was forthcoming. The 12 is splendid imho. Do try it and add water to taste. We could start a whole thread on Malts hmmm....
    I definitely prefer single malt Scotch neat. Take in the total grain texture and the aging infuence that way. Some of the Bourbons from my former home state take a splash to calm them down but otherwise, go bare as well.

But on the audio thing, your reconfiguration is quite nice. Are you using the stock crossover but tweaked to some extent? I wonder if the crossover points are generally about the same as stock? Also, is there an appreciable difference in the balance in the low mids going from the stock wide-body to your revised narrow-body enclosures? Thinking about any loss on defraction without the larger baffle.

DavidF

Very nice looking cabinets and details.
    Some semi see-through material just over the drivers might be nice
    (and add a bit of finger protection)... Nice having the
    drivers on display too though
    Thanks for sharing!

-grumpy

malts

No disrespect intended but if you go to any pub in Scotch land you will find upon the bar a water jug. In some bars you will even find a small fawcet on the bar top. The jugs of course have always been a target for trophy hunters.Some very bad men even delight in having large collections of these items. The point behind the water is that at bottle strength the alcohol content will tend to flash in the mouth thereby masking the nose and flavour. try this with any Islay whisky esp Laphroaig.... fill your usual measure sniff /taste add 10% water sniff /taste and so on and not in a hurry. the bouquet will start to expand significantly. Check out the web for whisky jugs you will get a shock the price some fetch. Ice is just square water and of course the chill just subdues the alcohol flashing off and the aroma.

Speakers. these were the result of sheer practicality as you can see the bass driver is tight as tight can be. vol is still 57 litres so the alignment had to be got right. They now image wonderfully as you would expect. cant say that I have noticed any particular abberation in the mid to low transition. i'm sure you could measure something but subjectively they are smoooth detailed and very extended. x/over is stock although since you mention it with the lf being so near the ground some of the padding in the upper prts of the network could probably be removed. perhaps 3db worth. this would have the added benefit of giving the amp an easier time. The only beef I would have is that there is a slight papery sound on vocals. i suspect that the 2105 cones are prime suspect here. i guess that later cone varients addressed that issue, poly in the 240Ti etc. I might try slapping some bitumen on them. My cabs are 25mm hardwood ply and the baffle is 40 mm solid oak. internal braces across the way. You will like this. . . the wadding in the mf and hf chambers is the undercoat moult as provided by my Bearded collie dog.Just like mohair. I binned the pots and replaced them with HQ resistors. Used speakon connector simply because it is xlnt and neat. nice gassing with you.

Smile Good job.

They look nice. It's satisfying to have a project come together that well. Congratulations!

My first genealogical thought was "First cousin to the L7" when I saw the configuration.
    Out.

Ummm, Single Malt

Nice Job !

I'm glad TiDome mentioned the L7 / that's certainly on my mind .

I love your overall aesthetic choices, ie ; the fancy wood grain, assigned solely to the front baffle with the sides finished in a textured black . All very sharp and modern. The bevelling on the front edges nicely high-lights the merging of those different surfaces .

Amazing resurrection

Hi Mac,a really great job and for sure one of the sexiest project design,not to forget to mention the wood finish,very close to professional standards,congrats highlander!!!!

Great looking speakers. IMHO they definitely do not need grilles.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

thankyou gentlemen

worked and thought hard on these. oh not guilty I have never seen an L7 in my life. have a look at Cabasse though. Stillnot a copycat though just a size thing. They are only 1000 mm tall. I really wanted to keep them as neat as I could .Thanks for the complements. I have a nice warm and fuzzy feelin comin all over me.

Steve Gonzales

Nice

Very good looking set you have there. Excellent craftsmanship, design, layout and finish material choice. Real knockouts!

Thread Information