Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member saying ...hello!

New member saying ...hello!

Hi guys & gals,
    I was doing a little research on JBL and ran across this site. Lots of great stuff! I'm a long time JBL fan, starting in 1978 I bought a pair of new L100a speakers. Still have them and sounding great! A few weeks back I bought a new Mac amp (300 wpc) and was thinking of replacing my L100s (my son wants the 100s...funny, these are the same speakers I had to make sure he kept his fingers out of when he was a small child.) What "newer" JBLs would you guys recommend? How the 'bout 250Ti ?

Oh, this has nothing to do with older JBLs, but how come Harman/JBL won't sell their new studio monitors here in the U.S.?...kinda dig'n that 4365 monitor.
    Thanks and good to meet all of you, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark's JBLs View Post
    Hi guys & gals,
    I was doing a little research on JBL and ran across this site. Lots of great stuff! I'm a long time JBL fan, starting in 1978 I bought a pair of new L100a speakers. Still have them and sounding great! A few weeks back I bought a new Mac amp (300 wpc) and was thinking of replacing my L100s (my son wants the 100s...funny, these are the same speakers I had to make sure he kept his fingers out of when he was a small child.) What "newer" JBLs would you guys recommend? How the 'bout 250Ti ?

Oh, this has nothing to do with older JBLs, but how come Harman/JBL won't sell their new studio monitors here in the U.S.?...kinda dig'n that 4365 monitor.
    Hi Mark, and welcome. I still have my original L100 Century pair. My kids can have them when I'm... committed to the asylum.

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions about what you should get next, but I'd suggest you look around the site a little more and read some of the more enthusiastic threads to see what's been going around. There's no lack of opinions on current and past models.
    Out.

They do have this in the US!!
    http://www.jblsynthesis.com/Products/Details/149

But I really like my 250's as well. There is lots to choose from.

Hi guys & gals,

Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Hi Mark, and welcome. I still have my original L100 Century pair. My kids can have them when I'm... committed to the asylum.

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions about what you should get next, but I'd suggest you look around the site a little more and read some of the more enthusiastic threads to see what's been going around. There's no lack of opinions on current and past models.

Thanks for the welcome and the more I think about giving my son the L100s the less I want to......I keep thinking back when he was a teen and all $!!t the wife and I put up with..lol!

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    They do have this in the US!!
    http://www.jblsynthesis.com/Products/Details/149

But I really like my 250's as well. There is lots to choose from.

Hello......Would love to,but....

I'm thinking of that old song... (sung with a heavy accent)... "If I were a rich man...

I never bought a pair of used JBLs, so what might be the 'going' rate on a pair of 250Ti in good - very good shape. Are there resale value books out there like for cars & trucks? Thanks...

I do not know of any realistic books but the 250's seem to go for $2-3000 a pair + shipping.

I never bought a pair of used JBLs, so what might be the 'going' rate on a pair of 250Ti in good - very good shape. Are there resale value books out there like for cars & trucks? Thanks...
    recent trends have been in the $2000 to 2300 range.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thanks guys. There's a pair in town for 1800, I may pull the trigger if it's not to late.

They will most likely not get much cheeper for a decent pair. Good luck.

Welcome

Welcome to the madness ! Good luck with search

Rich

Ok, these are 250ti limited edition and they were on ebay for a short time (guessing reserve was not met, maybe too beat-up for some people.) The black gloss ones made in '90, I'm assuming the finish is black paint with clear LACQUER? I know a bit about paint having spent 34 years at a dealer body shop. If it's truly lacquer paint then that might be hard to get. That stuff was pretty much fazed out 'cause of VOCs. These speakers look to have some minor problems in the finish, guessing that's why only 1800. Anyone know what they sold for new? Next question, if I pull the drivers out they should have some sort of markings on them stating JBL, correct? At that price if all the drivers are JBL and in good shape I wonder if it would be worth refinishing them or better left original? Also, does JBL still support these speakers with recone kits or anything else needed? Thanks.

Mark

Ok, these are 250ti limited edition and they were on ebay for a short time (guessing reserve was not met, maybe too beat-up for some people.) The black gloss ones made in '90, I'm assuming the finish is black paint with clear LACQUER? I know a bit about paint having spent 34 years at a dealer body shop. If it's truly lacquer paint then that might be hard to get. That stuff was pretty much fazed out 'cause of VOCs. These speakers look to have some minor problems in the finish, guessing that's why only 1800. Anyone know what they sold for new? Next question, if I pull the drivers out they should have some sort of markings on them stating JBL, correct? At that price if all the drivers are JBL and in good shape I wonder if it would be worth refinishing them or better left original?

Thoughts...

Mark
    Do you want to keep them long term or flip them?
    If they play well and you refurb them with a high quality piano-finish,
    I can't imagine the value would be diminished.

I prefer wood finish and some do, but there is also a market for the deep black gloss of piano finish.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hi Mark ,

all components are made by JBL and should be marked as such ,but putting a photo here will get you verification either way . If all is original we here at the forum can help you get them to factory spec and better . Paint finish for someone with your experience and network will be a walk in the park .

PICS PLEASE !

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Do you want to keep them long term or flip them?
    If they play well and you refurb them with a high quality piano-finish,
    I can't imagine the value would be diminished.

I prefer wood finish and some do, but there is also a market for the deep black gloss of piano finish.

These will be keepers. I too prefer the teak finish of the 250s. Kinda strange, on ebay the owner said something about having a set of teak and he 'may' let the winning bid chose the teak or the black. I have his email and I asked him if he has the teak and I would prefer them if they are in good shape, but he ignored my question and sent pics of the black ones (the same ones that were on ebay) instead. I don't know if that should be a red flag or what's-up with that. Seemed like a simple question... Not trying piss this guy off but what the heck... Maybe he's a member here and he'll read this...

Mark

Thread Information