Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Large Format Monitors

[QUOTE=Lee in Montreal;363802]BTW I just started another thread about a large size monitor that I find intriguing : the Ausbuperger monitors...[QUOTE]

Just for the record, his name is George Augspurger.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

OMG - Augspurger's scary robot-Monkey faced monitors!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    BTW I just started another thread about a large size monitor that I find intriguing : the Ausbuperger monitors

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...801#post363801

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Robot Chicken?

You know there are some things I really don't get, like the semi random woofer orientation. ?

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Hi mech986!

Long time no see. This recording studio existed for some years in north Anaheim as the passionate hobby of an advertising executive named Trent Wilson (long deceased) who shared space in his studio with an extremely talented recording engineer named John Vestman, whom I worked for years earlier in Long Beach. John eventually became a digital mastering engineer in another location. Trent's studio and equipment would have likely been sold off at least a decade ago IMO, though you now have the info to chase it down! Trent owned several properties along North St. as I recall. The recording studio was located behind a rental house as I recall. I just looked it up on Google Maps and the studio is currently known as Love and Laughter Music. Go get'em!

There is currently a pair of L475 for sale in the Netherlands: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-...5-woofers.html

(no affiliation)

Woah, now thats a beautiful thing ... wish I had a room for such as that!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    The team that produced the most beautifull monitors I know - (L-R) Ted Telesky, Michael Gillespie, Bob Oliver.

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    There is currently a pair of L475 for sale in the Netherlands: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-...5-woofers.html

(no affiliation)
    Thanks for the tip-off, Thomas.
    Cones are black, not white as in the LS/4 picture.

Arrrgh, i had to get them, although i am currently rather in selling than buying mood.
    Just bought HLS3812 for a Studio Monitor application, maybe the holes fit both of these oversize units and i can swap and compare a famous Fostex Alnico with what must surely be the most unusual cone shape ever on those TOA's

Ralph

And this thread explains the horns I just received from an eBay ad sale last week ...

I was expecting them Saturday, but he shipped them Priority mail!
    I got them out of the package and have given them a much needed wipe down with Howards orange oil ... They clean up nice!

Once they temperature stabilize and I feed them oil a few more times, I'll look at steel-wooling them to get the duct tape residue off,
    and see how I can fix where the one
    horn has split.

As I said, the seller did include the Fostex adapters and allen screws ...

Name:  WoodHorn_5920.jpg
Views: 2026
Size:  90.5 KB

They looked horrid in the ad - like they had been out in the weather, and have duct tape residue and some gashes on them ...
    but I thought they might have potential

One of them has been cracked and will need to be repaired and glued -

Name:  Fostex-Horns-Issues01.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  105.1 KB

hjames started a new thread focused on these Fostex horns. You can follow it here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...furb-repurpose!

Widget

Well, here I am living life vicariously through Heather's new toys.

Here's some useful info ( I do believe );

ACR [FOSTEX] T925 diaphragm replacement

Name:  DT825_info.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  50.5 KB

Crossover Schematics

Hello,

can anyone provide Crossover schematics for one of the monitor models? I just bought a near NOS pair of T825 and FD600 and would like to try the original crossovers from the monitors.

best regards from germany

Quote Originally Posted by Kreativlos
    can anyone provide Crossover schematics for one of the monitor models? I just bought a near NOS pair of T825 and FD600 and would like to try the original crossovers from the monitors.

Hi Kreativlos,

You might get further by also posting your request within Heather's thread over at AK( linked behind the pictures > click the pics! ).

I got involved refurbing/customizing a pair of Heathkit/Valencia speakers, and this fall got involved splicing a pair of Great Heil drivers to the Heaths,
    instead of the JBL slots I originally added on top.
    Now I'm waiting for a capacitor Decade box to arrive mid-Jan to help sort out the best Heil crossover values!

I was lacking in working space for 2 large speaker projects, so I carefully packed the Fostek drivers up in April,
    and stored them while I was working on the Heathkit project -
    - I realized I had limited free time, so, one project at a time, right?

Hopefully, I'll get back to the Fostek project sometime this spring ...

yes, I do know this is an old thread, but

got pointed here from a current one.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post

Fostex was founded in 1977 as the crème de la crème division of Foster Electric, the second largest electro-acoustic manufacturer in the world, after Pioneer.

The patented printed ribbon technology, known as "RP" or "Regular Phase", was also used in our headphones and microphones. Our T-20 headsets remain the standard in professional recording studios to this day.
    I have gone through MANY different headphones. Would audition for a while and then sell them on to pay for the next. Out of maybe 40 sets, the only pair that I regretted selling were the T-20's . Currently have T-40RP's and will NOT make that selling mistake again.

Also still own RadioShack outboard Super Tweeters (pretty sure are also Fostex) . They really extended the life of my tired Walsh F drivers.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Kreativlos View Post
    Hello,

best regards from germany

The FD600 was never used in any of the RWO/Fostex monitors under discusssion here // therefore getting the original crossover is pretty well useless info ( especially if you don't have the Fostex horns and Fostex woofers that were used in these monitors.

Also ( fwiw ), the network in the pic that I posted above is purported to be 2/3's of the LS3 network ( > for the horn/driver & tweeter ).

Here it is again;

Thread Information