Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: L.H. Should Pay for Web-Site Hosting

L.H. Should Pay for Web-Site Hosting

Hi All,

- Simply put, I believe it's time that we put an end to the current "free-ride" that this site currently enjoys ( by getting free, Web-Site Hosting ) / and / that we submit to paying "fair market prices" for these services .

- I'll suggest that Jan. 1 2008 would be a reasonable date to start paying for the services . This time period should give the membership the necessary time to get the sites' financial health in order .

- I have no idea what this service would be worth ( perhaps John Nebel can enlighten us ) . It may cost more than what we currently raise on an annual basis.

- If so, the membership will need to step up fund-raising activities ( or pay an annual membership fee based on "true-costs" ) .

- I also think, it wouldn't be a good idea to ask Harman Corp. to support this site financially .

With Robert's Rules as my witness

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi All,

- Simply put, I believe it's time that we put an end to the current "free-ride" that this site currently enjoys ( by getting free, Web-Site Hosting ) / and / that we submit to paying "fair market prices" for these services .

- I'll suggest that Jan. 1 2008 would be a reasonable date to start paying for the services . This time period should give the membership the necessary time to get the sites' financial health in order .

- I have no idea what this service would be worth ( perhaps John Nebel can enlighten us ) . It may cost more than what we currently raise on an annual basis.

- If so, the membership will need to stepup fund-raising activities ( or pay an annual membership fee based on "true-costs" ) .

- I also think, it wouldn't be a good idea to ask Harman Corp. to support this site financially .

I second it.

The arangements Don has made to to host the site has worked out very well indeed. One of the reasons why we have not had a Forum Colapse for the last 4 years has been due to where the site is hosted. It has also allowed this site to grow without worrying about how much server space we occupy. There are many hidden benefits that we all should be very thankful for.

I don't see what would be gained.

As far as Harman funding the site?? We don't want to go there.

Rob

What the heck does this have to do with anything?

You guys aren't mods and have little input on the site and the ongoing operation of the servers. I don't either - but I do work with a government agency with a few dozen servers that get a few hundred thousand hits a day (grin) ...

Do you have any background in this field to base your request?

What exactly would be the gain - what do you feel the site isn't getting currently? Any design constraints you wanted to bring to the table?

Anything specific??

Do you have any idea what resources are required for a site of this size?

Frankly - it would be a MUCH simpler site without the forums - managing a large collection of documents and images is fairly straightforward - dynamic applications like forums and chatrooms and the associated backend databases are much more server intensive.

Besides - Giskard said they have a new site being finalized - so anything related to the current site is more than likely a moot point anyway.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Just a suggestion too make your life easier, Heather

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

You guys aren't mods and have little input on the site and the ongoing operation of the servers. I don't either - but I do work with a government agency with a few dozen servers that get a few hundred thousand hits a day (grin) ...

Do you have any background in this field to base your request?

What exactly would be the gain - what do you feel the site isn't getting currently? Any design constraints you wanted to bring to the table?

Anything specific??

Do you have any idea what resources are required for a site of this size?

Frankly - it would be a MUCH simpler site without the forums - managing a large collection of documents and images is fairly straightforward - dynamic applications like forums and chatrooms and the associated backend databases are much more server intensive.

Besides - Giskard said they have a new site being finalized - so anything related to the current site is more than likely a moot point anyway.
    Unless you enjoy your 'Dump the Chump' moments. All suggestions are intended to make life easier here. These are just suggestions. No demands. Please don't get your PIAW.

Question - do you have a need to quote an entire long well-thought out message just to type a brief sentence or 2 response?

Otherwise - in case you hadn't notice - I don't do "Dump the Chump" anymore. There is a new technique EVEN YOU can do - when you see a SPAM message - look in the left column and click the triangle with the exclamation point to report that spam to the mods... There is no longer any point to respond to the spammers in any public way.
    Tell the Mods the spam is there and move on ... You DO know how to just MOVE ON, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    Unless you enjoy your 'Dump the Chump' moments. All suggestions are intended to make life easier here. These are just suggestions. No demands. Please don't get your PIAW.

Getting new web hosting is an entirely different topic than Spam prevention.
    INFORMED suggestions might even be helpful.
    You frustration does NOT make you informed.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Oh hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I don't know.
    Nothing.

From private conversations, and none of them with the ten usual posters, there has been nothing but negativity associated with this forum for quite a few years now. That is due to at least a couple of things - nostalgia for what was and remaining interest in seeing a very professional site. While it would probably be nice to do something about it I really don't see that happening in the near future.

Here's my take on it. You have a forum. It has changed dramatically over the years, it's membership, it's focus, it's discussions. Those changes are largely driven by critical mass. The critical mass is "base" so you are going to end up with a "base" forum. There is too much latitude in the posted goal of the forum to force it to be anything greater. The answer to this has been "it's the nature of the beast" and "everyone is free to come and go as they please". In other words - it is what it is. From a "normal" person's perspective it serves it's purpose just fine. One joins, one posts his or her query or experience and one then goes on with his or her life. Those who are addicted have a problem and they're going to have to find their intervention from somewhere outside the forum. It's just a forum. Those who are genuinely interested in forming relationships with like-minded Lansing Heritage members know full well that those relationships are best served in real life and not on the Internet and they have gone on to do so.

Yeah, we could ban the ten or twenty lifestylers but really, why bother. This is the only place they can be heard and it's obviously a need they have so let them run with it. As long as everyone stays within the stated guidelines it's all fair game. I know alot of you hate to sift through all the static but I think that's just going to be the way of it. Use your PM's, emails and telephones. Use Netmeeting. Set up some video conferencing. Whatever it takes. Just try to enjoy yourselves as best you can.

Heather,

- My suggestion is simply; that we start to "Pay Our Way" .

- & No , I don't know what doing so would actually entail .

Everyone,

- Don't read too much into this suggestion from a political point of view . As an example; in past decades I have helped vote into power provincial governments that many would consider to have been Communist . I have also helped place in power governments that many would consider to be Fascist . The only commonality between the two actions was that in my mind ( & apparently many others ), it was time for a significant change in our approach to governing .

- "Time for a Change" is simply my point of view and what prompted me to start the thread .
    - Paying for what we get would be a change .

Obsolete
    - Paying for what we get would be a change .
    Send a PM to John letting him know so he can make a decision. I'm sure he will provide you with an answer.

Why don't you guys start a little drive to gift John and Ann to show your support?
    I think someone started such a drive late last year but it crashed and burned for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Why don't you guys start a little drive to gift John and Ann to show your support?
    - That's a fine idea, Thanks !

- IMO, 2 or 3 money raising drives a year would be about max ( from this POV ) for the membership. So, a bit a time needs to elapse between the just complted drive and any new efforts to raise money .

Send a PM to John letting him know so he can make a decision. I'm sure he will provide you with an answer.
    - I can ask John ( in a PM ) what it costs to host the site , if that's what you mean in the above quote.

The arangements Don has made to to host the site has worked out very well indeed. One of the reasons why we have not had a Forum Colapse for the last 4 years has been due to where the site is hosted. It has also allowed this site to grow without worrying about how much server space we occupy. There are many hidden benefits that we all should be very thankful for.

Rob
    exactly, very well put....if money IS needed, I'm sure Don, John, Ann and the others will lets us know and then we can raise the issue to the memebers.... So far I've been very impressed with how things things have been handled for years and for everyones' selfless contributions to the site

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post

Sounds good to me... Maybe I could throw in a few ancient coins too...

- That's a fine idea, Thanks !

- IMO, 2 or 3 money raising drives a year would be about max ( from this POV ) for the membership. So, a bit a time needs to elapse between the just complted drive and any new efforts to raise money .

- I can ask John ( in a PM ) what it costs to host the site , if that's what you mean in the above quote.

If it is run out of his home. Time, effort, software, hardware, knowledge, STRESS, take out, and electricity. Have I left anything out?

We could always do a fund raiser focused on a nice set of JBL's for them. Find out what is in his/her collection, find out what they might want within reason. Then we need someone to front the purchase and seek reimbursement, and give as a gift. ? :dont-know

J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio
    ,,,,,,snip,,,,, Find out what is in his/her collection,,,,snip
    - The last awareness that I have of Johns' system(s) is that they included 4343 and 4435 speakers driven by large Macintosh amps .
    - I don't know much of anything about Anns' audio system .

- They might well prefer an annual payment if there were funds ( though, I have no idea about any of this ) .

Quote Originally Posted by sourceaudio
    If it is run out of his home. Time, effort, software, hardware, knowledge, STRESS, take out, and electricity. Have I left anything out?
    - You might want to run a search for threads started by John to get a feel about his operation ( and some of the costs of the necessary hardware ) .

Rob
    IMHO, if Harman funded this site, they would want to implement rules about what can and cannot be said. THAT would not be good, I like the ability to speak freely.

The Crown websites forum is a good example of a Harman run site, you CANNOT speak openly about some things. You CANNOT criticize Crown, you cannot openly say something adverse about Crown products. If you do they will let you know about it, and they will remove the posts, and if you continue with adverse talk, they will ban you.

JBL is a great name in audio, and they have over the years produced outstanding products. But, I value our freedom of speech, too!

We are better off as a private forum.

IMHO.
    scottyj

The way messages can come across ;

Quote Originally Posted by Heather
    Getting new web hosting is an entirely different topic than Spam prevention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Nothing.

Hmmm, I might be misreading the message behind these posts, ( like the way I've posted them ) but to be clear;

- I'm not suggesting changing who actually hosts this web-site .

- I am suggesting that the membership start paying John & Ann for the great service that they provide .

Thread Information