Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Something Big This Way Comes

Very nice.

Now if you could get a pair of those Mark Levinson mono blocks that Greg Timbers uses to power the ones in the Northridge listening room, you'd really be on the way.
    Out.

Congratulations Widget!

You deserve to enjoy them!

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Very nice.

Now if you could get a pair of those Mark Levinson mono blocks that Greg Timbers uses to power the ones in the Northridge listening room, you'd really be on the way.
    You think?

80 watts is plenty in my room... perhaps a better 80 watts, but a 500 watt mono block?

I'll be popping in a friend's vintage Beveridge RM1 tube preamp tomorrow, that might be interesting. Don't get me wrong, I know there are better amps, and that big Levinson is a very, very good amp, but after living with these for a day and a half, I realize the 400 watt Halo JC-1s I was considering aren't necessary either.

My current amp has averaging rms meters and at subjectively very loud levels it is putting out peaks ~10 watts... instantaneous peaks might be 80-100 watts, but it is damned loud! I need to fire up CLIO and see just how loud it really is... be interesting to get an in room response measurement too.

Widget

I am actually getting used to them.

Sure would be fun to try an XA1[06]0.5 pair, if they were available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    You think?

80 watts is plenty in my room... perhaps a better 80 watts, but a 500 watt mono block?

I'll be popping in a friend's vintage Beveridge RM1 tube preamp tomorrow, that might be interesting. Don't get me wrong, I know there are better amps, and that big Levinson is a very, very good amp, but after living with these for a day and a half, I realize the 400 watt Halo JC-1s I was considering aren't necessary either.

My current amp has averaging rms meters and at subjectively very loud levels it is putting out peaks ~10 watts... instantaneous peaks might be 80-100 watts, but it is damned loud! I need to fire up CLIO and see just how loud it really is... be interesting to get an in room response measurement too.

Widget
    Sure it's overkill, but perhaps not. I've rarely heard anything to match the E2s driven by those amps in that room, and we weren't playing them loud, probably using 3-5W or even less most of the time. The gear you had at CAS to drive the E2s almost two years ago was good quality stuff, and yes the room was challenging, but the E2s were nowhere close to delivering the same level of performance.

As for loudness, it's easy to hurt yourself with speakers that good. Playing them loud, louder, loudest is just so effortless (with the right amp), because they can handle everything the amp can throw at 'em. I'd need to get a limiter installed to keep me from killing myself.
    Out.

2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Sure it's overkill, but perhaps not. I've rarely heard anything to match the E2s driven by those amps in that room, and we weren't playing them loud, probably using 3-5W or even less most of the time. The gear you had at CAS to drive the E2s almost two years ago was good quality stuff, and yes the room was challenging, but the E2s were nowhere close to delivering the same level of performance.

As for loudness, it's easy to hurt yourself with speakers that good. Playing them loud, louder, loudest is just so effortless (with the right amp), because they can handle everything the amp can throw at 'em. I'd need to get a limiter installed to keep me from killing myself.

I know I would have to as well. I sure do wish the Arrays sensitivity was higher than 89db. That would have been awesome. Oh well. The E2 and S9900 seems too big for my small room anyway. They look pretty damn cool in your room, Mr. Widget.
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    To flash back a decade or so, that thing is dope!

Widget could put one on each Everest.
    Out.

It's dope alright - about 2 Z's worth....over $600.

I still want one !

jblnut

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    To flash back a decade or so, that thing is dope!

Widget could put one on each Everest.
    wonder if you can buy a left and right ear;
    or if you'd have to customize them yourself?

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    It's dope alright - about 2 Z's worth....over $600.

I still want one !

jblnut
    prices in colorado are down due to the abundant supply....
    even top shelf.... is what i hear from the stoned age guys....

As for a comparison with a 4345, the 4345 is about 3" shallower, 5" shorter and about 10" narrower... these are not small, (THE BIGGER THE BETTER) but as you point out their shape makes them work much better... I am actually getting used to them.

"The JBL Everest DD66000, a speaker you can get used to!"
    Perhaps, ad slogans aren't my thing. Widget
    Thats actually very good, not too aggressive a pitch, there's good money in that field too.

You guys are on a tear!
    Just Play Music.

Congratulations Mr. Widget, they look absolutely amazing!

The picture doesn't really capture the overwhelming visual of these beasts in my modest 15' by 21' living room. The listening position is at the far vertex of a 9' equilateral triangle. From that vantage point these beasts fill your view... with eyes closed the intimidation factor is reduced and the music is nothing less than remarkable.

Widget
    Hmmm, is that a load-bearing wall behind the systems? You don't really NEED a dining room, do you?
    David F
    San Jose

Wow! Just . . . wow!
    You are now the custodian of all of our dreams. Allow us to live vicariously through—at least for a little while.
    I hope we don't wear you out with questions.

1. The Everests as well as the 1400s and many, many other speakers will play back >100dB with relatively low distortion. That said, when I turn up the 1400s past about 100dB it sounds loud and I feel compelled to turn it down. With the Everests, it simply sounds more like live music. (In a good way.) You are even tempted to turn it up higher, but the desire to continue enjoying music in my old age is all I need to return to sanity. The Everests like the 4350/55 just plays damned loud in a remarkably seductive way... though the extra $50K+ cost of the Everests does buy more than a more stylish look.
    I find this true with my 4345s running bi-amped Crown PS400 and PS200. Even when my wife is listening with me and I sneak the level up a bit, she's comfortable in the room. But once she leaves and comes back, "Would you mind if I turn that down", or (sometimes) she'll just reach for the volume knob. At high SPL they are just so smooth you don't even notice how loud they are . . . or don't care!

2.The fact is, very, very few music recordings actually have bass that is below the bottom of the Everests... even deep synth bass like that on Boz Scagg's Dig, thanks HJ, pressurizes the room with remarkable power... and no, it doesn't have to be blasting. Regardless of my comments in point #1, I rarely play back at those levels. The point is, that even though in an anechoic environment, the Everests may be rather anemic in the bass dept., in my very "real world" living room, the bass is outstanding, both deep and tight and punchy as hell.
    I avoided buying Dig even after working with Boz at the Dukes of September concert a year or so back. Always loved him but hearing Dig on other systems had me thinking they'd really overdone the bass to the point of making it unenjoyable. Well, I bought Dig about a week ago when I needed a bit of change to reach Amazon's "free shipping" level on a book. I continue to be amazed at how well the 4345s handle that "overkill" bass and I really enjoy most of the album. I just can't imagine how it must sound on the E2s but I'd love to find out someday. Another CD with similar low-end you would probably enjoy on the E2s would be Jennifer Warnes' The Hunter, if you haven't already.

I stand in awe and can only applaud the chutzpah of what you've done.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information