Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY 4344 MKII using Beyma TPL-150

Quote Originally Posted by berga12 View Post
    don't do 4344 crossover, do custom crossover....this beyma have to work down to 1000-1500hz, not above....you just waste a beautiful sounding tweeter in this case...
    Hi berga12, I do have a custom xover for these three drivers as a back up. When I was doing the xovers the software showed there was a big dip around the 1khz. I'm sure I can do a notch filter to smooth out that dip. Thank You for the info and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy2 View Post
    Hi berga12, I do have a custom xover for these three drivers as a back up. When I was doing the xovers the software showed there was a big dip around the 1khz. I'm sure I can do a notch filter to smooth out that dip. Thank You for the info and advice.
    here some pics of my new Beyma's. I apologize for the pics being upside down. My ipad does this every so often.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Hi Drummerboy-

I'm following your project with interest. I'm not a JBL guy, so I have to drag slowly thru the dizzying array of 22__ this and 22__ that model numbers! Somebody needs to print a scorecard.

Anyway, having almost zero experience in JBL components (other than installing a hundred of their cabinets when I worked in ProSound), I won't be chipping in with advice.

I have had experience with the MCM woofer that you originally intended to use. It is a well built and good sounding speaker, but don't believe the specifications that MCM publishes. Several purchasers have done their own TS specs on those drivers, and they tend to be way off as published. Especially in sensitivity ratings. So, if you decide to use them as you get your JBL woofs lined up, be sure to measure them in your woofer program.

So, that will be my total contribution here, but I am looking forward to watching your build progress. Hang in there, buddy, and don't let the naysayers get under your skin. Proceed with confidence and joy.

GeeDeeEmm
    gdmoore28, Thank You for the heads up and info. This is the info I was looking for. I will look into this. Hopefully they are not too far off in the dbs as their specs say. I have read that these MCM 55-2963's do sound pretty good after a long break in period. I wanted to share the link where a fellow did a basic Clone of a 4350 or 4355 cab with these drivers and said they were really nice but I can't find the link now.

I wanted to share the link where a fellow did a basic Clone of a 4350 or 4355 cab with these drivers and said they were really nice but I can't find the link now.
    I've seen the project you are referring to and was impressed with the job he did in making the JBL clones. Doing a project like that is not only fun, but can only increase your knowledge of speaker building. I know that JBL purists may be a little offended at the copy-catting, but I think it's a cool alternative, and especially when $$$$ is tight. Looking forward to your progress.

By the way, those Beyma drivers are fantastic according to their tech sheets and to those who have used them. Looking forward to your impressions.

GeeDeeEmm

Welcome to the Lansing form.
    As you can read we have some hard core jbl enthusiasts on this site. But pretty much know their shit!!! You were better off using the jbl 2245h woofers paired with the jbl midrages than added the Beyma TPL-150. Which is a fantastic hf driver. I have a 3way set up using all Beyma drivers. But this is not the site to ask question on a custom build on other drivers than jbl,altec.if you surf the web you can find a bunch of project using the Beyma tpl-150. There is a posting here somewhere about a 3way build using jbl 2245h- 2118-and a Beyma tpl-150h. Maybe you can use some of the info to help yourself on your build

I am using the Beyma tpl-150H
    Beyma 10 mid
    Beyma 18 woofer
    Beyma tpl is cross over at 1.5kh

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I am using the Beyma tpl-150H
    Beyma 10 mid
    Beyma 18 woofer
    Beyma tpl is cross over at 1.5kh

Nice job! I can just imagine how they sound!

Welcome to the Lansing form.
    As you can read we have some hard core jbl enthusiasts on this site. But pretty much know their shit!!! You were better off using the jbl 2245h woofers paired with the jbl midrages than added the Beyma TPL-150. Which is a fantastic hf driver. I have a 3way set up using all Beyma drivers. But this is not the site to ask question on a custom build on other drivers than jbl,altec.if you surf the web you can find a bunch of project using the Beyma tpl-150. There is a posting here somewhere about a 3way build using jbl 2245h- 2118-and a Beyma tpl-150h. Maybe you can use some of the info to help yourself on your build
    dino, Thank You for the advice/info. I will look it up.

Thanks. Good luck with the new speaker project

My JBL 2245H's that some were asking from pics of.

Thanks. Good luck with the new speaker project
    Here are the 2245H's I was talking about that need repair. The one that is showing the back seem ok. The other has a crushed dust cap and is rubbing when you gently push down on it, so this is the one that may need a reconing kit.

I will try to post some pics of the 2123's I have.

They don’t look like 2245 cones. Maybe 2240.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    They don’t look like 2245 cones. Maybe 2240.
    Why is that? due to the color?

Why is that? due to the color?

They have that stiff double half roll surround which is typical of SR woofers like the 2240: high FAR, no low bass. 2245's have a foam surround and a cone weighted with aquaplas.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

JBL 4345 II update

Hello all, here's and update to what I have done. I know it's been a while but I was laid off again and had to wait for awhile to get the funds for these drivers, horns and lenses. Today I was able to buy some JBL 2420's and 2307's in excellent condition, I also bought some Kenrick 2308 lenses to go with my 2245H's and 2123H's. So I'm just missing the JBL 2405's for the supper tweeter. If I can't find any the Beyma version will work but I want the original JBL's.

I will be gathering the parts next for the Xovers for the 3435 II's while I wait for the woofer to be reconed along with any other parts for the cabs.

Just be aware the Beyma slot has lower sensitivity than the 2405H.

Try Jammin Jersey in Northridge CA

Thread Information