Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 4341 journey

My 4341 journey

Just thought I'd chime in after a long quiet period to report briefly that I now have a pair of 4341 at home. They showed up here in Norway recently, and I went across the mountain on ice and snow on a 15 hr. drive (return trip) to pick them up. Was it worth it? You bet. They are by far the best speakers I've had, and are likely my last pair of speakers. Needless to say, I've searched the forum for information on the 4340/41, and I already have some plans for upgrades... My pair is in good shape, all original drivers, the enclosures look good, and after some negotiations they have been accepted into the house (they outperformed my previous Century Gold so much that even my wife thought we should keep them)

I attach some pictures,

Thanks and best wishes,

Sigurd
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Sigurd O. Stefansson,
    Bergen, Norway

Congratulations Sigurd, they look great . How long have you had them now & how much listening have you been able to do.
    What equipment are you currently using to drive these bad boys? HOw big is the room, theys seem a little close to each other, may just be the photo or the angle.
    What are some of the upgrades that you have in mind for these beauties.

Enjoy & keep us posted.
    Just Play Music.

Thanks, Krunchy,

I've only had them for a couple days (picked them up on Saturday), so not much listening yet, but the first impression is so positive that I sincerely believe they will stay for a very long time. I'm driving them using a pair of Manley Labs Neo-Classic 250 tube monoblocks (10 EL-34 pr block), pre-amp is Aesthetix Calypso Signature, CD player is Muse Errato II and turntable is Kuzma with a vdHul Colibri cartridge. So far this appears to be a good match.

The room isn't very big, and may be limiting, but that's what I have, and yes, they are a little close to each other, so I'll work on placement over the next days and weeks. There's probably a lot to gain.

And the upgrades I had in mind... maybe a pair of 2421B (that I have) to replace the 2420 (with original diaphragms), maybe reconing the woofers with the 2235 kit, even replacing the internal cabling with better wire, and there may be tweaks in the x-over that I have yet to discover, these are just some ideas,

I'll post updates as I get around to trying out some of these ideas,

One question: Does anyone have a couple spare bolts for the 2420 drivers? The previous owner had damaged the heads of two of the four bolts that hold the driver together. Or can one get them from JBL?

Cheers, Sigurd
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Congratulations Sigurd, they look great . How long have you had them now & how much listening have you been able to do.
    What equipment are you currently using to drive these bad boys? HOw big is the room, theys seem a little close to each other, may just be the photo or the angle.
    What are some of the upgrades that you have in mind for these beauties.

Enjoy & keep us posted.
    Last edited by S.O.Stefansson; 02-19-2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: forgot something
    Sigurd O. Stefansson,
    Bergen, Norway

Quote Originally Posted by S.O.Stefansson View Post
    I've searched the forum for information on the 4340/41, and I already have some plans for upgrades...
    Congratulations! Once you go 434x 4-way it's hard to go back. Are bi-amping them? I suppose any information here on the 4343 would also be appropriate since the minor differences would appear to be only crossover and mirror-image baffles. They look great in your room. Will you now get to find out whether the Golds still have the cachet to bring the big bucks they have in the past, or not? Most likely they should cover the cost of the 4341s. Collectibility versus sound quality!

Does this thread help? http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...87-2420-Screws
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Congratulations! Once you go 434x 4-way it's hard to go back. Are bi-amping them? I suppose any information here on the 4343 would also be appropriate since the minor differences would appear to be only crossover and mirror-image baffles.

They look great in your room.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by S.O.Stefansson View Post
    Just thought I'd chime in after a long quiet period to report briefly that I now have a pair of 4341 at home. They showed up here in Norway recently, and I went across the mountain on ice and snow on a 15 hr. drive (return trip) to pick them up. Was it worth it? You bet. They are by far the best speakers I've had, and are likely my last pair of speakers. Needless to say, I've searched the forum for information on the 4340/41, and I already have some plans for upgrades... My pair is in good shape, all original drivers, the enclosures look good, and after some negotiations they have been accepted into the house (they outperformed my previous Century Gold so much that even my wife thought we should keep them)

I attach some pictures,

Thanks and best wishes,

Sigurd
    For certain, nice room, nice dog, nice speakers, and so on. I could be very comfortable in that space. Well done.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Congratulations Sigurd, they look great .
    Ditto!

Well done!

Widget

Very good system,how about your set up?why?
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    why?
    Because.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Because.
    But?

Recent upgrade

Thought I'd keep this thread going, just swapped the original 2420s with 2421Bs, I'll report impressions soon,

In any case the 4341s are an impressive pair of speakers, detailed, yet not aggressive, with a solid foundation and a sparkling top end, and a very smooth midrange, they are addicitive, and I enjoy listening to them, I find I discover new things in records I've been listening to for years
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sigurd O. Stefansson,
    Bergen, Norway

A very nice looking pair, are the cabinets in good condition and the JBL blue as well? A very nice acquisition.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Yes, the cabinets are nice, the veneer is nice except for a small (1") section which has been sanded thin on one of the top corners. Structurally they are absolutely mint.

The blue paint on the baffel is nice (could use a touch-up around some of the screw-heads) and the cloth and integrity of the grills are first class. I'm very happy with them and plan to keep them for a long time,

Thanks and best wishes,

Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    A very nice looking pair, are the cabinets in good condition and the JBL blue as well? A very nice acquisition.
    Sigurd O. Stefansson,
    Bergen, Norway

You will love them. Every time I listen to mine I am amazed and I have owned them for 20 years. I did find the need to add a pair of b380 subs to them and that helped a lot.
    Well why not it's just one more pair...
    4340's and 250ti's what an odd pair...

Those are some nice speakers. Some nice toys driving them too. THose are the big manley's arent they?

Nick

Thread Information