Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Separate Altec section?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    ...some of the posts I cannot actually understand!
    I know of this.

...We seem to have a lots of posts that are impossible to grasp lately.
    Yes, but...

...Perhaps this is a issue moderators should pay more attention too.
    ...we do, and whenever that is tried there are concerns over censorship, or arrogance. Neither is intended, but it is the normal reception.

...I very much doubt anyone with better things to do with their time would care to read anything past the first and last few posts.
    Yea, but that there is a risk - mostly I find there are just non sequiturs that appear, and are best unread.

...How many read the Library? My guess is not many new members given the type of questions asked.
    I think often the forum is what grabs someone's attention - they may not even (yet...) be aware of the Library. Then, of course, there is the Library (which many of us helped compile) and the Technical Reference section which Techbot/Giskard has/is working so hard to populate. An incredible effort.

Just last week, a long-time reader but new poster was seeking the JBL cabinet construction plans, found our years-ago discussion. He pm'd asking for them without realizing we had made them all available in the Library. There is SO much out here..
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Nightbrace
    Yes I did read your post about the Altecs. .

Appeciate the feedback Bo.

Censorship..not wanting to brow beat on it but in the case in point?

I don't think its about being knee jerk. I meaning really. We are not talking generalities here.

Some people are just plain lazy. They don't think in the normal sense of the word and they make a pests of themselves. You know the rest. I compare it Tolling,... Karp in the dam.

The problem is we, well most of us are very time poor except for those who will write tabloid after tabloid of what ever. I don't think the onus of tolerance rests with majority.

Then we have the senario where someone well meaning makes a good point that is possibly over our heads or is missed because the tabloidian cloggs and blogs a thread and the poor guys gets pissed off because nobody replies.

People are people I guess.

As I undestand it this latest version of the software has a better search engine. I prefer to subscribe to useful threads or store as a favourite.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace View Post
    But nobody wants to, there's more discussion about Altec here, but it gets lost in the sea of JBL banter.
    I'm all for a seperate Altec section. To me that would be a great improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    I'm all for a seperate Altec section. To me that would be a great improvement.
    There seems to be a small group of Altec fans who believe the speakers they are passionate about are being treated like second class citizens. I think most of the Altec fans here appreciate the fact that most of us hold both Altec and JBL in high esteem. Regardless, it seems to me if we made an Altec ghetto it would significantly increase this perceived divide.

We have discussed Altecs and their relevance to Lansing Heritage from day one... recently a small group of dedicated power posting Altec fans have kept the torch burning brightly... I am not sure if all that much new information has actually been added to our discussions here, but then we have had the L100 bashing and other nonsense going on for years too.

Widget

"I am not sure if all that much new information has actually been added to our discussions here, but then we have had the L100 bashing and other nonsense going on for years too."

Well most conversation isn't new information but a rehashing of the old; favorite stories are retold and embellished, old arguments are respun with new vigor, you pretend to believe my lies and I pretend to believe yours and so on.

That's entertainment.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Recently a small group of dedicated power posting Altec fans have kept the torch burning brightly... I am not sure if all that much new information has actually been added to our discussions here, ...
    ... the apparent strategy being to spew feckwit drivel upon all but the farthest reaches of the domain.

[Some there, too, even; I can smell it.... ]

Some people are just plain lazy. They don't think in the normal sense of the word and they make a pests of themselves. You know the rest. I compare it [to] T[r]olling, ... Karp in the dam.

The problem is we, well most of us are very time poor except for those who will write tabloid after tabloid of what ever. I don't think the onus of tolerance rests with majority.
    Naw, we confer "credibility" upon them by dint of volume. Now, they want their own playpen.

That'd be fine, if only there were a way to keep them confined within it. The scope of their "expertise" is boundless, alas, extending well beyond matters Altec....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Naw, we confer "credibility" upon them by dint of volume. Now, they want their own playpen.

That'd be fine, if only there were a way to keep them in it. Their "expertise" is boundless, alas, and extends well beyond matters Altec....
    Yep, thats the truth.

Problem is, if we give them that playpen, and they cant get the rest of the forum to come and play with them in it, they will then leave their playpen, and go back into the other areas, preaching the same Altec -vs- JBL all over again.

When I read some posts, it doesnt always appear to me that they want to say how much they love their Altecs, more like how much everyone else should follow them, take their advice, and do what they do, because its whats right to listen to.

scottyj

So there it is: status quo. The equilibrium remains, the balance is maintained. Immersion not division. Inclusion not exclusion. Dilution not concentration. Diversity not exclusivity.

I like it. I like it a lot.

Now will someone please LOCK this.

OK

I will lock it down per your request. You know of course that as soon as I do someone will want it opened again. Well they can always start a new thread and we can cover whatever we missed in this first one, or is this the second one

Rob

Thread Information