Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Finally powered up the 4350's today for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    With the amps, bryston10B plugged in it is dead quiet. So I threw the White 4400's into the mix. One of the 4400's is dead quiet and the other one if you touch the middle of the RCA connector it induces a 5 second hum and then is quiet. Only one of the 4400's does this. Possible input transformer issue on one 4400?? It had this issue before I installed the Balanced power conditioner.
    Pete, me thinks you need to lose the White's and get something more contemporary and balanced. Not so hard, and you'll finally be able to rest!

Me?

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Pete, me thinks you need to lose the White's and get something more contemporary and balanced. Not so hard, and you'll finally be able to rest!

Me?
    Yeah I was already thinking that. As a matter of fact I already redone the cables and went straight to the crossover from the pre amp, bypassing the equalizers all together.

I don't know if it was the balanced power conditioner or bypassing the equalizers but the sound really sounded tighter and just alot more powerful and seems more controlled altogether.The bass sounded thin and lacking before, now the bass it tight and sounds real powerful (for lack of a better explaination).

I knew something had to be wrong , before the way the 4350's sounded. So by either eliminating the 4400's or running everything through the balanced power conditioner really woke the sound up. Iam not one to play a small gain to something huge as some do like with different cables,interconnects ect, but there is a major difference as to what it sounded like before and now.

Back to the equalizers what is your suggestion as to what equalizers to try next.Iam not going to be as concerned in cost as much as Iam quality (within reason). I just don't think that I need to be spending 3-4 thousand on equalizers but quality and sound is the priority here.

I also wanted to mention that I now run the TV through the balanced power conditioner and the ground loop it caused before is also gone for what that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Back to the equalizers what is your suggestion as to what equalizers to try next.Iam not going to be as concerned in cost as much as Iam quality (within reason). I just don't think that I need to be spending 3-4 thousand on equalizers but quality and sound is the priority here.
    Meyer Sound CP10.

http://www.meyersound.com/products/p...systems/cp-10/

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Thanks Widget That's what I needed to know

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Meyer Sound CP10.
    +1

The Widget knows...

A very compelling alternative is the Klark Teknik DN370. One helluva unit. I have a pile of both these units.

If you get a good price on someone eBay'ing a CP10, the choice will be easy. The DN370 can be very costly (I was stunned by a recent quote on eBay) and is wonderful sounding. Shop around. Check with Full Compass - ask for George Koury.

btw, used DN360's are rumored to benefit from "maintenance" to get the filters back to spec. I only pass along what I hear from those that owned them.

If both these are beyond your price point, I'd next consider the BSS FCS 966 or Ashly GQX3102 - both these offerings are constant Q (and fairly broad) but are good sounding. I'd avoid anything Rane, and the dbx 1231, is just what it is - an ordinary offering that works pretty well. I'd pick it over Rane.

Might save a little if you find a CP-10S (no knobs), but it's not really a liability,
    as you get your speaker/room measured/adjusted in, the settings will
    settle in and pretty much stay put. I have one of each and the knobs are
    just helpful to have a gross visual idea of the setting and can speed things
    up (a little). Actually nice to -not- have the knobs once set... can dispense
    with the security panel. Live/event adjusting? different beast (need knobs )

If you don't have a measurement system, which I'd strongly recommend
    you do get, I'd skip the parametric. It's possible to work a 1/3 octave EQ
    with warble tones and other tools, but attempting to perform compensation
    using a parametric EQ without a measurement system will end in frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Might save a little if you find a CP-10S (no knobs), but it's not really a liability, as you get your speaker/room measured/adjusted in, the settings will settle in and pretty much stay put. I have one of each and the knobs are just helpful to have a gross visual idea of the setting and can speed things up (a little). Actually nice to -not- have the knobs once set... can dispense with the security panel. Live/event adjusting? different beast (need knobs )

If you don't have a measurement system, which I'd strongly recommend
    you do get, I'd skip the parametric. It's possible to work a 1/3 octave EQ
    with warble tones and other tools, but attempting to perform compensation using a parametric EQ without a measurement system will end in frustration.
    +1. All of it...

Thread Information