Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Separate Altec section?

What I find annoying is 47 new threads a day about crap that has nothing to do with Altec, JBL, or audio in general and very few or no posts because no one here gives a damn about them. That is pure noise and requires unnecessary wading to get through it.

Look guys... since Altec is perfection there is little to talk about. With JBL we have people who genuinely hate them... it makes for a far more dynamic conversation.

...but seriously, this forum is about the legacy of James B. Lansing... Altec included. It makes sense to talk about the products collectively as many use combinations of JBL and Altec and they do share so much in common.

Widget

Nightbrace
    I'm not saying to "create" a new site just for Altec, just to talk about the idea of having a separate section, it wouldn't change things that much as there is very little Altec talk, but it might makes things a bit easier to navigate...

And I get the point, it was never a DEMAND, just a thought. I too hate wading through a lot of useless banter. I will admit that a lot of it is my own, although most of the time its merely a response to the useless banter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace View Post
    I'm not saying to "create" a new site just for Altec, just to talk about the idea of creating a separate section..
    Everybody gets that. No matter how you frame it, it still amounts to splitting this forum into direct competition with one that's presently set up. That's a BAD idea.

Were YOU kicked outta there too?

[Jus' wond'rin'.... ]

Nightbrace
    Zilch<< I'm a good boy at the Altec forums.. Never had a problem. Just too few people and bot much useful information in comparison to LH, and maybe some of those guys who get nothing out of using the forum would see that there's an Altec section here and make there way over.

I think that by keeping them together it gives a lot of people loyal to JBL license to attack people who enjoy Altec.

And no, I don't think that separating them will create more tension or a division, I think it would be quite the opposite, why else would have brought this up? I think it would just tidy things up a little is all.. But its good that we're at least discussing this. Its not too off the wall.

BTW, would it be okay for me to post the pics and description of my finished S21 "clones"s without the worry of being ridiculed for using such "inferior" components? I did the best I could, and I have to say I am pretty proud at the networks I built (as it was the first time building something like this from scratch), but I just KNOW people will see that I, Nightbrace the destuctor, posted it and everybody everywhere will crawl out of the woodwork and try to pick them apart.

BTW, would it be okay for me to post the pics and description of my finished EN3's without the worry of being ridiculed for using such "inferior" components?
    Start a new thread in DIY, or tie onto the end of one of your several earlier EN3 ones there, and present an exposition of your project, with illustrative pics.

There's no guarantees. I've taken beaucoup boatloads of poo about my projects documented here.

[I've also received plenty of great help makin' them better, too, learning all the way.... ]

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Start a new thread, or tie onto the end of one of your several earlier ones and present an exposition of your project, with illustrative pics.

There's no guarantees. I've taken beaucoup boatloads of poop about my projects documented here.

[I've also received plenty of great help makin' them better, too, learning all the way.... ]
    Thats true and maybe someone else will see them and want to build some of their own , I guess thats worth all the insults that you guys can dish out.

No seperate Altec section is needed. I don't understand some of the hostility and defensiveness here, you gotta remember that the conventional "high end" jerks think all of us hornies are nuts.

Of course I don't understand the fellas that do the JBL small cone and dome thing; JBL chinless cones and tragic domes being just as bad as anyone else's.

Just jokin'. Kind'a.

...I too hate wading through a lot of useless banter.

There is always an option - to NOT post.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Start a new thread, or tie onto the end of one of your several earlier ones and present an exposition of your project, with illustrative pics.

There's no guarantees. I've taken beaucoup boatloads of poo about my projects documented here.

A response to Zilch's post, but NOT a description of Zilch

POO POO POO

Virtually all of us have had our asses wiped here. POO-HOO.

Some for what they do
    Some for what they don't do
    Some for what they like
    Some for what they don't like
    Some for what they have
    Some for what they don't have
    Some for what they know
    Some for what they don't know
    Some for what they believe
    Some for what they don't believe

At some point you have to accept whom you are and just get on with it. Other people can piss off if they don't like you or agree with your choices. Just be careful about how you show your disdain so you don't violate any forum rules. You can try to be respectful even if others aren't, and you don't have to wallow in front of people to be accepted.

And don't retreat into a separate area to avoid the hounds. Face them on the open ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    No seperate Altec section is needed. I don't understand some of the hostility and defensiveness here, you gotta remember that the conventional "high end" jerks think all of us hornies are nuts.

Of course I don't understand the fellas that do the JBL small cone and dome thing; JBL chinless cones and tragic domes being just as bad as anyone else's.

Just jokin'. Kind'a.
    You and your horns should get a room.

The name's Dome, Titanium Dome.

Instead of a separate Altec section, how about a horns-only section? It could be really dark-looking and super cool with a neon and velvet look to it.

Just jokin'. Kind'a.

Final OT comments--apologies to Nightbrace

Oh wait, I'd have to post about my 4430s and S2600s there. Maybe even those darned SVA2100s and 1800s, though they're not manly horns.

And I really loved those corner bass horns of Steve Schell's; in fact the whole horn set up was quite nice.

Okay, nevermind, the horns can stay and so can the Altecs and Zilch's experiments and my thread on the Northridge E50.

"You and your horns should get a room."

Come up with something original, I already read that line here this morning.

"The name's Dome, Titanium Dome."

Odd name that, what were your parents thinking?

Just jokin'. Kind'a.

Hey!! Knock it off there!!

If you ever get a chance listen to the XPL series. They need a bit of power but the dynamics will surprise the heck out of you.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    You and your horns should get a room....

I know why there is not going to be able to have a separate Altec thread - because all these people want an easier way to find the Altec posts so they can pick them apart and criticize people.

But seriously - why can't we have a seperate for Altec?

Thanks.

-Storm.

Thread Information