Thread: 417-8C - recone?

417-8C - recone?

Hi All,

I have 4 x 417-8C's pulled from an early '70s Ampeg G-412. All 4 speakers have some degree of tear in the cones. At low volumes there are no really noticeable sound defects, but once the volume goes up... anyway, I'm wondering what the consensus opinion is for re-coning these, both in terms of acoustics, and any financial reason for keeping them all-original (and torn).

Thanks,

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bstevens View Post
    Hi All,

I have 4 x 417-8C's pulled from an early '70s Ampeg G-412. All 4 speakers have some degree of tear in the cones. At low volumes there are no really noticeable sound defects, but once the volume goes up... anyway, I'm wondering what the consensus opinion is for re-coning these, both in terms of acoustics, and any financial reason for keeping them all-original (and torn).
    If they aren't working for you, get them re-coned by Great Plains Audio. GPA is what remains of the real Altec Lansing.

I'm certainly not the final word on value, but I can't see damaged cones (in 417's) be worth saving. Some of the earlier 515's used a spider that isn't available, and the original gets reused (something like that)..... and the cones for 415's and 420's are not available at all so I could see not messing with them if they still functioned. I don't thing 417's have any special considerations, Though.

Quote Originally Posted by bstevens View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks,

Bruce

417's are a fabulous guitar speaker that have that unmistakeable early Santana/Mesa Boogie with Altec 417 tone.

The problem with having Great Plains do the recone is this: it'll be a 917 rather than true 417 and won't have the mid/high-end response due that guitar speakers need due to the heavier 917 cone. The thinner, lighter 417 cone hasn't been available for years, so the best alternative I've found is to use the cone for a PAS G-1280/MB-1280 in it's place with the 417 coil/spider. The surround is more like an EVM12L double-opposing half roll, rather than accordian pleats.

PAS modeled alot of their drivers after Altecs. The PAS G-1280 didn't gain much popularity as a guitar speaker so they renamed it MB-1280 to use as a mid-bass 12". Killer speaker with 3"edgewound coil and massive ceramic magnet.

Your 417's....as long as you like them... can find new life with the right parts. They shouldn't have to suffer torn cones. Even if the coils are good, some careful surgery can replace the cone and spider.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information