Page 67 of 76 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1133

Thread: JBL L Series (1990s)

Quote Originally Posted by mortron View Post
    I am so very torn between which L series speakers to look for... My heart says L7 or bust, a rational part says L5 or even L3... anyone faced a similar conundrum?
    The "easy" choice is to simply go with what deal you actually find available for a reasonable price. Seeking out a specific pair too often results in a huge price premium being paid.

Beyond that, there are the potential positioning issues with the L7 due to the woofers being on the side of the speaker. Posts are all over the spectrum as to just how big of an issue this actually is.

There is also the issue of bass. The L5 can only do so much given it's 8" woofer. If you augment your setup with a subwoofer, or if you simply do not listen to music loud and/or listen to music with lots of bass, then this might not be an issue. Here is an example of what the woofer in the L5 looks like while trying desperately to produce bass that would be fairly trivial for any 12" woofer and probably for most 10" woofers also.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
    The "easy" choice is to simply go with what deal you actually find available for a reasonable price. Seeking out a specific pair too often results in a huge price premium being paid.

Beyond that, there are the potential positioning issues with the L7 due to the woofers being on the side of the speaker. Posts are all over the spectrum as to just how big of an issue this actually is.

There is also the issue of bass. The L5 can only do so much given it's 8" woofer. If you augment your setup with a subwoofer, or if you simply do not listen to music loud and/or listen to music with lots of bass, then this might not be an issue. Here is an example of what the woofer in the L5 looks like while trying desperately to produce bass that would be fairly trivial for any 12" woofer and probably for most 10" woofers also.
    Placement is at the front of my mind. Then again, I am coming from Dipoles, which some say are even pickier than boxed speakers... It's all a game of compromises I guess. Thanks for your reply.

There's never any substitute for big-assed 4-way JBLs. Positioning issues aside, the L7 will kick the snot out of everything else in that line, simply because of the 4-way design.

daveschott
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    There's never any substitute for big-assed 4-way JBLs. Positioning issues aside, the L7 will kick the snot out of everything else in that line, simply because of the 4-way design.

You mean compared to other vintage gear, 25+ years old, yes?

Is it true that the L7 surrounds, once deterioration has taken its toll, are not replaceable?

I owned one of these. ....never again!

Is it true that the L7 surrounds, once deterioration has taken its toll, are not replaceable?
    I thought I answered this but don't see my reply. Perhaps a senior moment. I'll give it another go:

The L7's side-firing 12-inch woofer has a conventional "foam" surround that can deteriorate and can easily be replaced. The LE120H-1 is a great woofer, used in stand-alone subs from other manufacturers. Of my two-pair of L7s, none of the LE120H-1 appears to need re-surround.

The 8-inch woofers use a unique mix of what appears to be butyl rubber and fabric in their surrounds. It has been documented here on a couple of occasions where the surround have separated from the cone, if not split. Each case, to the best of my recollection, occurred on L5s. My assumption was always that they were overdriven or fed turntable rumble as source material. One case I remember they were being used in a dance studio to provide background music for exercise classes, and mounted high off the ground on top of walls. The 708G-1 is a driver that puts out beyond its weight-class. But perhaps it's asked to do too much in the L3? I have two pair of L7, one L5, and one L3. In none of these is there any indication of damage or wear to any of the surrounds, and that includes eight 708G-1s.

For the price of these speakers, I really wouldn't focus on the surround aspect. Now I did worry about that when before I acquired my first L7, and now I don't. I think I've got enough spares between the spare L7 pair and the (sacrificial) L5s, if I need them. I suppose someone could even supply a non-stock foam replacement if the need arose.

I'm also not buying into the legendary difficulty of positioning the L7. Sure, it has a side-firing woofer which are intended to fire inward, so you shouldn't stack them right against your audio shrine. But I've had them slam against a rear wall, in a small room, and they have always produced room-filling sound and an amazing image within the room that defies the prime seating-position required by many speakers. If they have a fault, it's their impressive bass response, which makes them a liability in an apartment where neighbors might complain. I know my wife and kids in a downstairs room will always ask me to turn them down when the L7s are playing in an upstairs room. In those cases I usually just switch to the L5!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Just picked up a set of L5s due to this thread. 120 bucks but one of the 708G-1 is shot, does anyone have recommendations on a shop to repair or where I could find a replacement. I've checked fleabay and posted a want ad in the classifieds here.

There's a pair of L7s locally I might pickup, whats a good price for a set in good condition?

Quote Originally Posted by Calestus View Post
    Just picked up a set of L5s due to this thread. 120 bucks but one of the 708G-1 is shot, does anyone have recommendations on a shop to repair or where I could find a replacement. I've checked fleabay and posted a want ad in the classifieds here.
    What sort of damage? If it's the outer rubber surround that has failed, I believe there are now foam surround replacements available which fit the 708G-1.

If it's blown just set up a search/alert on eBay, the drivers aren't rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
    What sort of damage? If it's the outer rubber surround that has failed, I believe there are now foam surround replacements available which fit the 708G-1.
    I get no resistance reading off the posts. Assuming the coil is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Calestus View Post
    I get no resistance reading off the posts. Assuming the coil is dead.
    Sounds like a fried coil... Shame, as I know my L5 I purchased had bad woofers too. The glue on the spider failed in the 708's. The 706 uses the same glue, though it does not seem to work near as hard as the 708. I am having my 708s repaired... if they are all built like this, I wouldn't be surprised if others have their glue starting to give way as well.

Since your driver is out of the cab, I am curious: Are you able to see the spider where it joins the cone/coil? How does the adhesive look? Can you see anything showing or cracks? Even though your issue is different, I am curious what kind of abuse most of the 708's take.

Once I heard my L5's I regretted not paying over twice the price for L7's a week earlier. If you can get the L7 for a reasonable price, I'd jump, just be sure to check the drivers.

Yeah, the spider is separated from the cone, probably what caused the coil to eventually fail.

Bummer. Is just quit huh?

On mine, it was still working, but could hear the spider scrape.

Is it possible that there is contact between the coil and magnet, due to the coil not being centered? Thus giving a bad read? I am unsure how exactly it works inside a speaker motor.

I've got a theory regarding the L5, and why the 708 is most susceptible to damage - look at where the port is. Based on what I have read, having a large port right behind a woofer can possibly negate the effects of the box, forcing the woofer to work harder and hit its excursion limit quicker than the other drivers. This would stress the spiders to the point of the adhesive giving way I would think. I could be way off the mark, but when I was reading about ideal port location on a speaker, it made me check my own L5's. No clue how correct it is, but the theory makes sense to me.

Bummer. Is just quit huh?

On mine, it was still working, but could hear the spider scrape.

Is it possible that there is contact between the coil and magnet, due to the coil not being centered? Thus giving a bad read? I am unsure how exactly it works inside a speaker motor.
    No idea, I bought it this way. Most of my speaker knowledge comes from my car audio days. On ported enclosures, the port is almost always in close proximity to the driver due to size constraints.

Thread Information