Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Some may be from estates then wanting to get rid of these fast, but still I'd try to get a couple $ each. On the other hand LPs are not the major trend in the market today vs streaming, MP3 and that sort of stuff... That may well affect resale value: supply and demand!

Btw since you send records to your son by US mail, how do you package the LPs: cardboard box only? Flat or upright? Whole bunch or limited number per shipment? Special packaging padding or reinforcement required? Not afraid being damaged at destination or how you prevent that?
    >>>Some may be from estates ... that's my guess, or widows ... sure there is a lot of church or Andy Williams or Hawaii ...but nobody wants those.

CB box, upright, 30-40 perbox, little bubble wrap, media mail ..abt 50 cents a pound.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

My alternative to MoFi

has been LPs in QUAD.

That format needed better vinyl and more care to produce ... on a stereo
    cart you still hear extras that were bound for rear channels, but now in 2.

My son found this beautiful copy of Abraxas in Q , and in a dollar bin I found
    "A Space in Time" on a nice Q , and The Doors too.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?fo...c&format=Vinyl
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Interesting alternative to MF...

RE "CB box, upright, 30-40 perbox, little bubble wrap,..."

Never shipped records, but I'm surprised at how little care is required. I thought you had to make the shipment "battle zone proof" to avoid having damaged LPs at destination. Really surprising to me.

If you look at post # 152 the yellow sheets posted from MF, the high definition vinyl they use is the formula developed for CD-4. And I think the Gino Vannelli album shown uses that vinyl type too.

Discogs link you posted, opened it, first 3 items I see Dollar, British Pound and Euro prices, what the hell is this? Then I saw third party sellers around the Globe like on Amazon, Best Buy and too many others... I hate that. How do I purchase a record from DISCOGS? I don't know, and don't like that either, dumb me. I figure only 3rd parties have Quad records to sell? But I see top left one can shop by currency! First and foremost I'm looking for records not really currency, latter comes after as the make or break the deal thing, depending on exchange rate... Didn't see an option "shop from Discogs".

Why sites don't make a "third party sellers corner" where its unlikely I'll go? I know, because they want to be seen and private sellers pay a commission to locomotive Web sites. On Amazon I only purchased "Sold and shipped by Amazon". On Best buy 5 min. screwing around with 3rd parties, had it, close Web page, goodbye. So, unless its made easy (KISS principle) re how I can purchase a record from your son, then my motivation fades away. In other words, the more I have to work to spend money! the least likely it may happen.

Btw with leg strapped as shown on new Avatar pic guess you won't be running this time to be first at dollar per record boxes at the record show. Then I have a chance getting there before you do, but I promise I'll keep some for you: church, Hawaii, etc., I'm confident you'll love those, lol

1 Never shipped records, but I'm surprised at how little care is required. I thought you had to make the shipment "battle zone proof" to avoid having damaged LPs at destination.

2 Really surprising to me. So, unless its made easy (KISS principle) re how I can purchase a record from your son, then my motivation fades away.

3 Btw with leg strapped as shown on new Avatar pic guess you won't be running this time to be first at dollar per record boxes at the record show. Then I have a chance getting there before you do, but I promise I'll keep some for you: church, Hawaii, etc., I'm confident you'll love those, lol
    1 they can't really toss around a 30-40 pound box ..I pad the corners

2 this way ==>> https://www.discogs.com/seller/Bette...sement/profile , but I doubt his punk genre is your thing.

3 I'll just hold my cane sideways and nobody will get around me. and I hope to be RTG by then. Ever been to Orygun ? doubt they'll take your funny money.

Btw "Ten years after" now seems to ring a bell with me. Maybe have an LP from them, probably not quad tho. Since my record's alphabet is a little mixed up now, and mostly because wife vetoed my record Assistant hiring (lol), well don't want to spend time searching for it. If i'm lucky it will surface (marine language) then I'll show it to you. Don't think its the same.

RE # 1 you're probably right. But if it was say 3-5 LPs shipment would you consider ship them flat in a shallow box or only upright? Not testing you, just learning from master LP shipper. I might ship one day.

RE # 2 Punk genre? I'm out faster than Road Runner, taking the door with me...

RE # 3 Beware of the cane, its a two sided thing, if you're not nice with wife a little hit with the cane on your painful leg can bring you back on track fast. Mine washes my fool's mouth with a soap bar, and it works! lol

Been to Orygun? Na, too far, not in sight. Stopped taking the plane about 4-6 months before 09/11/01, too much hassles, wasted time++, security, tiny handful of peanuts and a 7up to eat, etc. I don't need that. Go to US east coast by car, no travelling lottery, everything hunky-dory. Why suffer then?

As for my funny money, well the term is right, sniff. Record show wouldn't take it. Plus today it took a beating with what happened on the markets, even funnier $, not for us tho. Few days ago was still "rich" now somewhat "poor" on paper with the CDN/USA stock markets' deep plunge since I got $$ in there (not all tho). Wonder what I have left: shorts only, socks maybe, a T- shirt included? LOL, better to laugh at it. If what goes up must come down, then what goes down will eventually go back up, nice eh? lol

No US spending for now, so you can rest comfortably, your leg also, I won't be in Orygun anytime soon for the record show...

Btw "Ten years after" now seems to ring a bell with me. Maybe have an LP from them, probably not quad tho. Since my record's alphabet is a little mixed up now, and mostly because wife vetoed my record Assistant hiring (lol), well don't want to spend time searching for it. If i'm lucky it will surface (marine language) then I'll show it to you. Don't think its the same.

I'd love to write a funny comment
    But I don't know what to do
    So I'll leave it up to you…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTUsFm0BAu8

RE # 1 you're probably right. But if it was say 3-5 LPs shipment would you consider ship them flat in a shallow box or only upright? Not testing you, just learning from master LP shipper. I might ship one day.

YES

RE # 2 Punk genre? I'm out faster than Road Runner, taking the door with me...

I'm NOT a fan either

RE # 3 Beware of the cane, its a two sided thing, if you're not nice with wife a little hit with the cane on your painful leg can bring you back on track fast. Mine washes my fool's mouth with a soap bar, and it works! lol

she's more dangerous with her mouth

Been to Orygun? Na, too far, not in sight. Stopped taking the plane about 4-6 months before 09/11/01, too much hassles, wasted time++, security, tiny handful of peanuts and a 7up to eat, etc. I don't need that. Go to US east coast by car, no travelling lottery, everything hunky-dory. Why suffer then?

BUT, I've been to Canada ... it's funny, at our PO, shipping to Can, it's just 1 big zone.
    Vanc or Montreal doesn't matter, same price.

As for my funny money, well the term is right, sniff. Record show wouldn't take it. Plus today it took a beating with what happened on the markets, even funnier $, not for us tho. Few days ago was still "rich" now somewhat "poor" on paper with the CDN/USA stock markets' deep plunge since I got $$ in there (not all tho). Wonder what I have left: shorts only, socks maybe, a T- shirt included? LOL, better to laugh at it. If what goes up must come down, then what goes down will eventually go back up, nice eh? lol

I've been there when it was the other way around. Nobody cried for us.

x

Thanks for posting the Ten Years After song. I remember this song, like it. Nice souvenirs. Haven't heard it in a long time! Made my day.

70's music is probably what I have the most. Great era music wise, sky was the limit. Sometimes think the music clock may have stopped ticking Dec. 31 1979...

EDIT:

RE "it's funny, at our PO, shipping to Can, it's just 1 big zone. Vanc or Montreal doesn't matter, same price."

Doesn't seem logic travel wise when there's about 6,000 KM apart these two. Maybe their system can't process CDN alpha-numeric postal codes. Then to avoid being under water I guess they charge a high flat rate on shipments to Canada? When I ship to US always need Zip Code and shipping rate is based on this.

Recently been searching for something in Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, 5th ed., flipping the pages, and at the end there's numerous ads from speaker manufacturers and dealers. I stopped at one of these ads. Remembered in the past a member asked me if I had what he called a "play school" type explanation for something that I don't remember exactly (speaker related though).

Well, the page I stopped at in the Cookbook has a generic LF driver "play school" assembly explanation. A simplified woofer exploded view with, on left side, short notes numbered 1-9, indicating how woofer parts are put together. The ad's pic here is intended for new members less familiar with woofer details.

I've previously posted on another thread one from JBL that I'm reposting here simply to have both at the same place, easier to consult, two birds with one stone.

Put together, those two pics should give the apprentice a reasonably good idea on woofer construction...

Richard

Name:  IMG_1222.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  157.4 KBName:  IMG_0934.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  80.0 KB

SENNHEISER HD 25 LIGHT HEADPHONES

Picked up tuesday the new headset and extra 1/4" to 1/8" adaptors ordered.

These phones are possibly the closest thing I've yet seen to good old Sennheiser HD 414X, though not identical. They're also light and come with a somewhat cheap 3 M cable which is too long for my use.

Did a headphone listening test of about two hours with various LPs. That included the "Back on my feet again" song, Sandy Davis, Capitol Records, 1975 album with same title. This one may be played loud by Seawolf to celebrate, even dance to its rhythm, when his injured leg is healed enough to have him... Back on his feet again! (You Tube's is poor compared to the LP, there's some nice acoustic guitar, sax, etc.)

New headphone comfort is poor, too much pressure on ears it almost hurts after time, trying repositioning them doesn't help, took them off a few times to give my ears a minute of pause from compression. Headband is hard on the head since the foam provided isn't soft enough, that's the sad part. The 414X have wider headband, no foam and still more comfortable, plus they don't compress the ears so much.

Used AT LP5 TT with Shure Me95ED cart/original Shure stylus, Bellari phono preamp and Mackie mixer as headphone amp, since I previously read these phones had increased LF and HF and the mixer has HF/MF/LF EQing (quick fix that works).

These phones sound WAY better than HD 559 I returned to Senneiser, having no highly exagerated mid-bass/low-mid sound the 559 has. Note the HD25 Light and the HD559 retail for the same price ($100.USD or $130.CAD) but for the same money the former beats the latter easily on sound quality.

As indicated on a pic here, the HD25 does have some emphasis on bass and a lifted treble, but its not gross and the bass sounds like bass. With about -2db applied to LF and -1-2db on HF they actually sound pretty decent. On some records -1 db was enough for HF. Btw correcting the old 414X response is pretty much the opposite: + 2 db on LF and + 1-2 db on HF. But the 414X has a nicer open mid sound.

The HD 25 Light model has TWO part numbers (older/newer Product Codes), the phones are much the same, however # 506910 (I have as new old stock imported from the US) was made in Ireland, compared to newer # 508664 now made in low-cost Romania... I've seen on US Web vendors some still having a few of the prior model. To find one its its better to type manufacturer name with product code instead of model number.

If I could have one pair only between the HD 25 Light and 414X, then I'd keep the 414X for comfort/quality, since wearing the HD 25 is somewhat like having a vice on the head... One day they might pursue their career with my daughter, while the 414X and 480 Series 2 will remain with me like they have for decades.

RE Sea's Avatar pic quick switch, I assume the Boze sound where he covered his ears didn't pleased him so he reverted back to defensive mode "sheltering in place" Cov-19 proof equipment? Can't be more ready than this for the outbreak! Should file for a patent on this imaginative protection/entertainment duo, or could sell his pics wearing it, now's the time! As for Boze sound, well it might have been better trying a Bose with an "S", even a Bozak speaker with a "Z"?

Richard

Name:  IMG_1256.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  75.1 KBName:  IMG_1242.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  149.6 KBName:  IMG_1265.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  84.6 KBName:  IMG_1251.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  68.4 KB

SENNHEISER HD 25 LIGHT HEADPHONES

Did a headphone listening test of about two hours with various LPs. That included the "Back on my feet again" song, Sandy Davis, Capitol Records, 1975 album with same title. This one may be played loud by Seawolf to celebrate, even dance to its rhythm, when his injured leg is healed enough to have him... Back on his feet again! (You Tube's is poor compared to the LP, there's some nice acoustic guitar, sax, etc.)

New headphone comfort is poor, too much pressure on ears it almost hurts after time, trying repositioning them doesn't help, took them off a few times to give my ears a minute of pause from compression.
    headband pressure is a common complaint with this model on the web, on new cans, many store them overnight around a soccer ball to let them ease out. Looks like cheap plastic, but very strong. My 2 pairs are the dual headband models, the bands are movable and you control the pressure by the distance you set between them. It's such a good system that I was surprised that they made a single band version. Even stretched now, I can only wear them about an hour, that is why I recommended the superbly comfortable HD-650's.

They appreciate power and of course are source material dependent.

SW not dancing for a while. Although hematoma is residing, still pressure on the nerve, other knee still very painful ... MCL not healing as predicted and to top it off,,,,my followup appointment on it has been changed to a "phone appointment"

Thanks for the informative reply.

Don't have a soccer ball, not really looking to buy one. Have a 1 ton cable puller though! lol

RE "surprised that they made a single band version", for guys like me only...

RE "Even stretched now, I can only wear them about an hour", well that appears to confirm single or double headband doesn't seem to matter. Yours being more expensive it should have been more comfortable. Senn may have lost comfort in their priorities list, contrary to the old days...

RE "the superbly comfortable HD-650's." Superbly expensive too here at $650. + tx = almost $750 CAD. Even with a discount still over $600. all in. My use of cans doesn't justify paying that kind of money.

I might look again at the Beyer DT-250 though it has coiled cable I don't like, will I step on my principles? Would want to try it on before purchase using a distributor's demo model, however my dealer is on "lockdown" now re COV-19 prevention, min. staff, little happening there, rep works home taking calls, couple warehouse guys re urgent stuff. Doubtful dealer can arrange for a distributor's demo soon...

Other option is to stock up on ear foams/pads for 414X/480 S2 Senns before they get discontinued, and stay with them forever... Comfort importance to me as well as sound would then be met for long while.

Sorry to read your injuries are not improving to the extent you'd want them too. Hopefully you'll get better soon. Has to happen, the whole universe is waiting to see your next audio finds... Regards,

Richard

I might look again at the Beyer DT-250 though it has coiled cable I don't like, will I step on my principles?
    cord type certainly makes no difference to me.

sold my Beyer DT-880 Pro's last month ... they were comfortable enough, but
    the sound just seemed bland to me.

will never part with my Fostex's with the Beyer ear pads and pilots sheepskin band pad.

here is a headphones journey thread. ===>>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...094-Headphones

maybe there are some suggestions there to help you.

From 1989 to 2004 British Airways used the HD 25 BA for Concorde passengers. Due to their excellent performance in high-noise environments, they were perfectly suited for passenger use on planes, blocking engine and wind noise with their closed design and secure fit. Music professionals and performers travelling in style took notice. Passengers liked them so much; they occasionally took the headphones with them.

The forward character of the HD25-1 makes it one of the best Rock headphones of all time, where the forward vocal is matched with the punchiest upper bass in this comparison. The HD25-1 has a good amount of treble, although not as extended as the M-50, the SRH-840 or the AKG K181DJ. The slightly rolled off treble of the HD25-1 is actually preferable for Rock music, as it is less fatiguing over long listening periods.

Part of why the HD25-1 is so addictive is the punchy, tight, and focused bass impact of the HD25-1. For Electronica music, the M-50’s bass is the ultimate, beating the HD25-1, the SRH-750DJ in sheer bass force. But for rock music, the M-50’s doesn’t nearly have the agressiveness of the HD25-1 and the SRH-750DJ, and among the two, the HD25-1 just have the best PRaT and presentation for fast and energetic music. The M-50’s bass is also less focused than the HD25-1, making it less ideal for fast Rock and Electronica.

Other option is to stock up on ear foams/pads for 414X/480 S2 Senns before they get discontinued, and stay with them forever... Comfort importance to me as well as sound would then be met for long while.
    thot you had others that were more appreciated ?

I still have my good old pair of Sennheiser HD 414X from the 70's in mint condition and use them once in a while... But my also good old Senn HD 480 Series 2 have a better quality sound (though I still like the 414 sound) and for these too Senn Canada has the original ear foams available, also made in Germany! I purchased a number of years ago the HD 437 but these sound more bassy than the other two models I have and the foams on that model are covered with fabric which may last longer...
    HAD 414's (not X) that had OK sound, but hardly any bass. sold them quickly. had sales receipt...$25 new.

HD-25's

https://www.pocket-lint.com/headphon...dphones-review

Sennheiser has a long heritage as a maker of quality headphones and it's easy to see why. The sound performance offered by the HD 25-1-II really is superb, being both well-balanced and extremely clear. You can really hear the quality when it comes to bass performance, which is full of depth and punch even on the most bass-laden of tracks.

RE "cord type certainly makes no difference to me."

It does matter to me.

When using phones most of the time I'm standing up, moving around a little, adjusting EQ, gain or phono capacitance for example, rarely sitting down with cans. When testing the HD 25 Light I was standing up for the two hour test. Coiled cords are heavier, add weight to the phones since I'm up, don't like that, straight cable is lighter.

Big cans never liked, nor heavy, or having a vice on the head. Light, comfortable is as important as good sound. Unbelieveably hard to find today in our world, though so simple! (not interested in ear buds btw)

RE "thot you had others that were more appreciated ?"

Had three Sennheisers, gave one to daughter before Xmas and at the speed she/her husband scrap phones! the HD 25 Light might be hers in the near future... Bought the HD 25 to replace those I gave her but i'm really disappointed at comfort, sound ok (the part of the mid on HD559 where sound isn't corrupted sounded better than HD25). The 414 and 480 can't be more appreciated when I see and/or try what's on the market today at reasonable pricing.

Evidently its a marketing technique today to push up comfort and/or good sound higher into the price ladder where the margins are fatter. They can certainly make decent phones comfort & sound wise for about $100., even more so since they're now made in low-cost China (HD559) or Romania (newer HD25), and still make a profit...

RE "HAD 414's (not X)"

The "X" version was an improvement, think I paid about $50 around 1976-7. Still have the invoice of all audio gear, saw it a few months ago. The 414X still requires a bit of EQ, as indicated in post # 174, but its minor and with that they sound pretty good across a wide range. Plus, comfort wise both 414 & 480 are hard to beat...

RE "Sennheiser has a long heritage as a maker of quality headphones and it's easy to see why."

The link didn't work btw, but it doesn't matter since I own the phones therefore know how they are.

For affordable models the statement isn't true anymore in my view, "and it's easy to see why" (i.e. sound or comfort). I got burned with the HD559 Net reviews, mostly on sound but somewhat on comfort too. Plus the HD 25 Light comfort is poor. I'm more prudent with such reviews now... Regards,

Richard

Big cans never liked, nor heavy, or having a vice on the head. Light, comfortable is as important as good sound. Unbelieveably hard to find today in our world, though so simple! (not interested in ear buds btw)
    Richard
    I was digging around in one of my "big boxes of headphones" this week. Pulled out some light Senn PX-100's and gave them a try. Tho comfortable, they were rather dull sounding.
    Then went back and grabbed a pair of Senn PCX-150's. They look similar , but have a large "in line" battery box. Senn calls it NoiseGuard, contains 2 AAA batteries. It's big enough to have a belt "clip-on" . When you power it on, the volume & bass pickup quite a bit ..so it seems to function more of an amp than a noise reduction box. (or see below)

https://www.alphr.com/peripherals/28...pxc-150-review

"If you don't like in-ear headphones, the Sennheiser PXC 150s are the best here. They're expensive at £49, but are lightweight and fairly comfortable. The soft padding forms a good seal over your ears and the active noise-cancelling circuitry is effective. On buses and trains, the engine noise still cuts in, but the PXC 150s let you listen at lower volumes than standard headphones. They don't fold ... but sound quality is fantastic. Bass isn't overpowering and vocals are crisp and well defined."

Anyway..I enjoyed my time with them, tho will keep digging in the boxes.

Thread Information