Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Crown K Series amp opinions?

Then im in agreement. I was talking about the outputstage of the amplifier.

Mvh

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Eh..Think you are confused here. The K2 is a switching amp. The XTI is not.

Imo it doesnt matter what technology used, only its used properly.

Tim
    XLS IS a switching power supply.

K2 is also not a conventional amplifier, BUT, the K2 sounds good to me, better than he XLS.

You get the right Crown for your application, and use it properly, they got that certain something.
    scottyj

Ok. Ive handed my K2 over to a friend so he can do the accid test on them. He will compare the bass from it to his own ARC D400 MKII on the JBL K2 S9800......Actually i think the D400 will kick butt, will have to wait and see for the result........

But you would think K2 on the K2's should be good....

Btw: The ARC D400 MK2 is one hell of an amp.

Tim

Fucking crown,

They are discontinuing the macro tech series.

I have heard the I Techs, at shows and venues, everyone I talk tells me DONT get those. I think they sound ok when you first turn em on, but, they fade, and fade hard.

ARGHH!
    scottyj

The k2 are easy to change the input voltage.

http://www.crownaudio.com/forums/ind...indpost&p=3201

mats

Quote Originally Posted by matsj View Post
    The k2 are easy to change the input voltage.

http://www.crownaudio.com/forums/ind...indpost&p=3201

mats
    I gotta find something that I like. and I listen to the new amps, and everything out there as much as I can.

scottyj

A butchers cool room full of PassLabs X1000.5's might be the answer.
    It depends on how you like your steak.

You can actually parellel them up it if you want to do some serious earth moving work.

What do you mean they "fade"?

The Crown was beaten by the Audio Research amp. That was to be expected. However he says it never lost controll of things, it just smoothed everything out a bit. The highs also left something to be desired.

But......That was against an amplifier costing 4 times as much and with lesser power.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    A butchers cool room full of PassLabs X1000.5's might be the answer.
    It depends on how you like your steak.

You can actually parellel them up it if you want to do some serious earth moving work.

You might also be able to parallel the new 2KW amps from McIntosh......

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    What do you mean they "fade"?

The Crown was beaten by the Audio Research amp. That was to be expected. However he says it never lost controll of things, it just smoothed everything out a bit. The highs also left something to be desired.

But......That was against an amplifier costing 4 times as much and with lesser power.

Tim
    The I Techs! The biggest one in the series, The I T 8000 is rated to produce 4000wpc@4ohms. But, thats more that the 120v outlet can provide. Crown claims due to their new power supply, onboard storage of current, and efficient energy draw, they have overcome the limitations of the 20amp outlet. I did read somewhere of a guy constantly popping a 20amp breaker with a single I Tech, though.

Some are still skeptical.

Fade? You ever turn an amp on, like the Macro Tech, they sound scary at first, then two hours later they just dont seem to have the punch? Power compression they told me it was, however, one day in the wintertime when Im not open, I just left the amps idling, no signal being driven, and sure enough, they still sounded faded, even with out driving woofers, just idling. I Techs sound scary when you first turn them on, but seem to lose some of it after a while, IMHO!

Then, you got guys asking questions like this next thread that Crown just doesnt answer, go figure?>>>>>>>>

http://www.crownaudio.com/forums/ind...showtopic=1801
    scottyj

For me, the Macro Tech 2402, while having some slight issues I think could have been bettered, it works, and makes a punchy bass. For my money, give me a big chunk of iron and a healthy stored charge, no better way to make bass.

Im just not sold on the sound of the lightweights yet.
    scottyj

However, of any Macro Tech ever manufactured, the Macro Reference, or Studio Reference amps were amps to be heard. They were great, the bottom was so clean and taught. They were expensive, but they did the name Crown Justice.

When I first heard the TAD 1603, and 1601B,s, they demoed them on the Reference Crown, man that kicked!

If I found three nice new condition, Id buy in a heartbeat, that was an amplifier!
    scottyj

And, when you hear guys talk about Lab Gruppen sounding better than Crown, these are the amps they are talking about I Tech -vs- Lab Gruppen!

Theres even a guy on the Altec site swears the Labs are better sounding.

I tried one, its good, but not a traditional sounding amp, but good.

On one hand I really wish I did love all this new stuff, installing 10lb woofers, and 26lb amps are a walk in the park.

As much as I love my TAD,s I also like my B & C 15NDL76,s, they have a traditonal basshorn sound, very efficient, punchy, and quick sounding. And installing them, I could do with one hand! They only weigh TEN pounds, TEN pounds. My tools are heavier than they are! Neodymium could be your friend!
    scottyj

i blew 4 - 18's from unstable power or subsonic freq.....so i heard that unlike the macro tech these 2 amps will put out freq below and above 20-20000. I agree they sound a lil harsh like a CD as opposed to a mp3 but i own 3 and i think they are the BEST amp for the money on the market...they go for 500 on ebay and are ussually in pretty good shape from being in studios.

crown techs told me there about to release a new amp to replace this one...should be very soon.

Many amps will pass and amplifier signals below 20hz some all the down to DC. A good high pass filter in the signal path of the correct frequency for the system is always a good idea, increases headroom from not having the amp amplify unused or needed frequencies and can save speakers! Low pass filters though not as common can do the same thing for the top end.

Mike Caldwell

Thread Information